View Full Version : Storyboard before the script

Jukebox
05-04-2005, 02:05 AM
i got a question here..
i'm just wondering if the storyboard is necessary before writing the script
or is it fine without the storyboard?

Totoro
05-04-2005, 10:37 PM
It's not necessary to have a storyboard before a script. Most of the time I start with an idea/story and then I work on the storyboard.
For my school projects I start with an idea and write down a few sentences then I begin with the storyboard to test things out. But that's when I have a short animation like 1 minute or so. For longer animations I prefer writing down the script first coz it acts like a guideline when you're going to storyboard. You don't have to go into too much details in your script because in the proces you'll find out that some things you've written down don't work visually. Or you come up with new ideas during the storyboarding and things will change in the script.

xiaoali
05-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Ideally, I'd like to have a storyboard...then maybe change some things around. Most of the times...I don't and play it by ear.

There are some directors who don't do storyboards and succeed in making a great movies...and some make really really bad movies. Personal preference I think.

Peddy
05-07-2005, 01:00 PM
i usually prefer to do a script or at least a shotlist (breakdown) of some kind before i start laying pencil to paper. gets all the ideas finalised (moreso)

MadMax
05-18-2005, 03:43 AM
The script comes first.

In fact, this thread is the first time I have ever heard it even suggested that storyboards might come first.

Julez4001
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Spiderman 2 was storyboard before script and Ian MCcaig adaption of Lil Mermiad in Spac eis the same too.

Believe its becoming to be quite common.....

SamChen
05-31-2005, 03:46 AM
There obviously isn't a right way or wrong way.. but for me, I killed 2 birds with one stone by storyboarding to fulfill both the visual as well as plot development. Think of storyboards as glimpses of the pivotal moments in a script. Then after getting lots of visual inspiration down on paper, you can go back and connect the dots using a screenplay format, or paragraphs for a treatment. The latter is what I did since my film didn't have any dialogue. G'luck!

CaptainJackSparrow
05-31-2005, 01:53 PM
First rule of script writing:

Always outline first.

Second rule, refer to rule number one;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 01:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.