PDA

View Full Version : Feature Film - Star Wars Sith War

Matt122004
05-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Hi! I'm Matthew, aka. Matt122004. I'm making a Star Wars Fan Movie. It will require many CG effects. So I thought, where can I find CG artists? And I came here. The movie will be 2 hours and 30 minutes. The script is so cool! The movie takes place a few hundred years before Episode 1. I need CG Artists who can make Lightsaber effects. Also people who can design realistic spaceships, worlds, and anything star wars. The movie is one big battle. The Sith are planning to attack the republic. AND THEY DO! The Jedi send two Jedi Knights to investigate, and than the sith find them and capture them. Than the Sith attack, and thousands of Jedi and Sith fight to the death. IT'S SO COOL! But I need CG workers. If your interested, e-mail me at Matt122004@gmail.com
If you live in San Diego, please say so! It would be nice if I can work personally with one of my CG Artisits. When you sign-up for the job, I will send you the script. Hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,
Matthew

softdistortion
05-04-2005, 06:20 PM
We can see through your clever disguise...you're really George Lucas aren't you? :D

Naen
05-04-2005, 08:23 PM
I can model the space ships....live in Los Angeles

Matt122004
05-05-2005, 03:04 AM
I'm not George Lucas. Naen, you have the job. Please e-mail me that you want to start.
You don't have to live in San Diego, I don't care if you live in China, just as long as you can do the job.

Thanks for signing up. I realy need to visualize the ships in my movie. E-mail me and I'll send you the script.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Matt122004

denntanos
05-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi i love star wars so I would join this team if i can...
Im a talented concept artist
And Im can do cg effects... Lightsabers/space ship/scenes alot for star wars... :)
....Send me a Pm if i could join plz... email: Denntanos@hotmail.com

Matt122004
05-06-2005, 01:02 AM
You have the job.

I still need more CG artists. and modelers. Once i get all the CG artists and modelers,

I'll start auditioning people for parts.

denntanos
05-06-2005, 02:59 PM
I have search for peolpe who wants to join the forum...

MrWaRrDoG
05-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Wooooh! Another SW-fan film, this is great
I'm not good enough to help imo but I'll be following this :thumbsup:

denntanos
05-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Mrwarrdog why cant u help us...
We need every help we can get...

MrWaRrDoG
05-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Well, i'm using blender3d but i still have to learn a lot, like texturing and stuff...
if you still need someone for all those small props&models, contact me :scream:

Matt122004
05-06-2005, 11:03 PM
I have a 4 person team right now. But we need more. If you want to get credit on the future website and end movie credits, don't worry. Everyone that works on the mo0vie get's credit.

Dannage
05-07-2005, 08:31 AM
It's not going to be a two and a half hour battle is it? :)

Sadly, I'm up to my neck in another collab at the moment, so I won't be able to help out, but I'll be intruiged to see how this develops. Good luck dude.

(And let me know where I can host a 150 minute film file, cos I'm planning on breaking ours up into episodes just to keep it downloadable!) :D

denntanos
05-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Smart to breaking the film up in chapter...
And your other question:: It is host there you can bring one gig at so wee dont need to
worry about where to but it when its done...

Pawlack
05-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Hello. Im 2d artist. I love star wars, and I would like to join your team. :) I can draw concepts of spaceships etc.
Please send me PM mail : werik@autograf.pl

softdistortion
05-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Just a suggestion, but you may want to also look here for help>
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/

jayreef
05-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Just a suggestion, but you may want to also look here for help>
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/

great link

loving this
http://scifi3d.theforce.net/wip_details.asp?cat=wip&key=85&intGenreID=10&intCatID=8

:applause:

:edit: its kid in a candy shop time too, all those models to download and play with :bounce:

Matt122004
05-08-2005, 04:53 AM
My team has started making the first scene. We need more CG Artists and CG Modelers to complete this project in a good timeframe. Please join us. W now have 7 people on the team. Come join us as we make Star Wars History! lol

Matt122004
05-11-2005, 12:53 AM
The Team has some nice work done. Alot of concept art has been created. We need more people to help though. Please, if you saw STAR WARS REVELATIONS, than you'll love this, this film will be at a higher level than revelations and will make you gasp for air as you are thrilled.

Pyke
05-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Any chance of perhaps posting some concept art, script excerpt, or storyboard? Do you guys plan on doing this live action? More info like this will get more people interested in your project...

jussing
05-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Just my 2c... take it for what you want. ;)

The movie will be 2 hours and 30 minutes.

That's one god damn long fan film... Have you done a film of that length before?

If you split the movie into three categories: a) all live-action, b) all cg and c) visual effects (live action and CG), how many percentages do they take up of the film's runlength?

If your b & c combined take up more than 50%, I think your project is unrealistic. And with 50% all-live action, half the movie is going to look pretty boring and not very Star Wars-ish, unless you have professional sets, camera and lighting. And if you have resources that professional, my advice is make an original sci-fi movie, not a fan film.

I wont be participating in the project, but I think I've seen all Star Wars fan films out there, and my main advice is... keep it short and funny. The worst of the worst fan films are those that are too long, and think they have the professional calibre to be serious.

The best pseudo Star Wars film I ever saw was the "Han Solo Affair" lego movie. The best live action was "The Empire Strikes Backyard", which had the proper amount of irony to not be corny, but even that was too long with its 30 minutes. All the serious ones are just.... eck!

Good luck however you choose to go about it. :)

- Jonas

jussing
05-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Oh, one more thing... I think you should think a little more about this:
The movie will be 2 hours and 30 minutes....
The movie is one big battle.
It's not going to be a two and a half hour battle is it?
Two and a half hours of battle, even with professional actors and camera work, and ILM visual effects, sounds like the year's most boring movie, and a good candidate to sweep the Razzies.

Now replace the professional work with less professional work (no offense), and you have a movie I know I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes of.

I don't mean to be harsh, I'm only trying to help. I suggest you rewrite it to 20 minutes or something. And add lots of humour!

Cheers,
- Jonas

ivanisavich
05-11-2005, 02:30 PM
I wholehartedy agree with Jussing.

I can say, without a doubt, that for an amateur (as opposed to a proffessional) film (whether it be a fan film or not), it's far too long and far too ambitious to be something that will actually be completed in the next 15 years (and be good).

I'm not trying to crush your dreams, but I think you should reconsider your plans and make them a little more realistic. As Jussing noted, shortening it down to 20 minutes and making it funny would increase its potential for success by 1000%.

Overall, I'd hate to see you let down all of the people here that have already agreed to help with it, by announcing that you won't be able to complete it after all (once you realize exactly how big of a task you've set yourself out to complete).

Good luck with it anyhow :)

jussing
05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
...let's put in another way: It takes Lucas 120 million USD, and, say, a staff of 100 people working full time for three years, just to make a two-hour prequel.

That's three-hundred man years, AND 120 million dollars.

Divide that up with a faithful staff of 15, who will work for free. Even if they were of ILM caliber, you'd need them full time for 20 years to finish your project.

Don't take this as critique - on the contrary, like Ivanisavich hinted, we really want to see your project get done, but if you want a hi-quality 2.5 hour movie, it's just not going to happen.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the project move ahead. :thumbsup:

Cheers!
- Jonas

softdistortion
05-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Overall, I'd hate to see you let down all of the people here that have already agreed to help with it, by announcing that you won't be able to complete it after all (once you realize exactly how big of a task you've set yourself out to complete).

That's the reality of Collabs...unfortunately each failure deepens the impression of collabs being too risky to donate your time to.
Maybe Matt122004 will surprise everyone and we will eat our words, but historically things do not bode well for this project.

Sorry Matt122004, I think we have seen to many people come in like this and then fold on a team of trusting , slightly naive helpers. :banghead:

Matt122004
05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
I can understand you doubting the film. 50% is battle. 10% is mystery. and 40% is acting. It might not be 2 hours and thirty minutes, but 2 hours or 1 hour and 30 minutes long.

I'll give you a sneak peak at one of the concept art, the only problem with it is, my concept artist didn't know what Sith Tie Fighters look like, so he replaced them with Imperial Tie Fighters.

I want to show people that making a 2 hour movie is possible. My movie is very visual effects heavy. Every scene has something digital about it. Alot of the scenes are completely digital. My plan is for 2 hours, but I will see when Production is finished. At the moment we are early in Pre-Production. The first half of the movie is about the Jedi searching for the Sith and the Sith preparing for battle. The second half of the movie is about the battle that takes place on 2 planets, Coruscant and Tretonus and also some side stoies on the Sith Star Destroyers.

If you were dissapointed with the acting in REVELTIONS. I am too. I thought it was bad. This is something that will not be in SITH WAR. My movie will have good acting and great visual effects. This is not just a fan film, this is a movie!

Sincerely,
Matthew

MeandCg
05-12-2005, 07:41 AM
Looks great cant wait to see it happen.

Pyke
05-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I still think that the best Star Wars fan film is TROOPS. I've still got it and watch it OFTEN. So damned cool...

DogmaD
05-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Matthew. Please, take some of their advice. Softdistortion has been into collabs for a long time now, and if i were you i would use his knowledge to your benefit. Now, i am not going to repeat everything everyone said before, all i can tell you is that you should not underestimate how much time it takes to create CG content. And i was wondering what kind of quality you are shooting for here.

Because you have kick - ass actors, kick - ass CG, kick - ass environments, kick - ass sound tracks. And all this will be done for free, by hobbiests who part time on it. Now if it would be a 5 minute short, i would believe you. But you are talking about 2 hours and 30 minutes here! With 50% CG!

Ok, lets do some calculations. Lets say you have 30 frames a second. 75 minutes of CG content. 30 * 75 * 60, 135.000 frames containing CG content. Now, when you are going to render very high quality CG content. You can expect to have around 5 minutes a frame of rendering, easely ( i am being optimistic here ). So, expect around 470 days of rendering, on just one computer if you have this frametime. And that is final frames, so you can multiply it by 3 or 4 at least when you are still testing different effects, but lets keep it at 1000 days for ease. So, you will need a renderfarm to get this done. One that will probably hold around around 50 comps at least to get the final CG content rendered in 20 days. Simple question, how are you going to arrange 50 comps working for you for 20 days at least?

Also, content creation, are you going to create all the models within the team, or get them from other places? When you get them from other places it gets a lot easier. But when you have to model them yourself some models will take a couple of weeks to get done a piece.

I don't want to crush your spirit here. But to be honest, i don't think you should directly go to creating a film of 2 hours and 30 minutes. If you want to go make it, i say go for it. But first build a proof of concept. Make something small of around 5 minutes, just to see what you guys can do. It does not have to be a story, just 5 minutes of different scene types. So lets say two and a half minute battle, 2 minutes acting, and 30 second mystery. It might look like a waste of time. But what is 5 minutes on a 2 hours and 30 minutes movie? Nothing. But it will give you all the experience you will need to go to the 2 hour, 30 minute movie.

Well, Good Luck.

jussing
05-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, go for the 5 minute proof of concept, that's a very good idea.

Also, use live action in those 5 minutes, so you'll get the idea of a pipeline with live-action visual effects, and you'll get an idea of how good acting, photogragraphy and lighting you can get.

It's good to see you've decided not to have bad acting, but it's not enough to "decide" it. How, exactly, are you going to avoid bad acting? Will you hire a professional director, or do you have professional directing experience?

I'll repeat myself one last time, and say that if you really have the talent, staff, budget and equipment to make a 2.5 hour epic of professional quality - then for your own sake, make something original, not a fan movie. Just a tip. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

Pyke
05-12-2005, 09:04 AM
As everyone has said here...start small. Start doing a few tests to see whats going on, and what exactly you are attempting to do.
From my point of view, I have been working on a 20 minute short film for the past 6 months. The story is completed, and I'm working on the script, aswell as the concept art and production design. I've given myself 12 months to get this story to a point where I can start to post around for help, or even start thinking about filming. Thats a years planning for a 20 minute short...and I honestly doubt that i'll hve everything done before 2006.

Plan more, start small, and move up. Panicstruck's Revelations took 3 years to make-and that was by a production house with experience in these things. Perhaps take a scene from your script, and create that?

cgidude
05-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Hello guys I like to join the team I can model, edit, I like to work with anything and everything

I know max, after effets, premier, zbrush, and stated on motionbuilder, maya, I am happy to learn new stuff on the go, I have done 2 short films on my MA course. I am a big fun of star works here is a wip http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=231685&highlight=gollum

PM me

Thanks

denntanos
05-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Pyke And Jussing...I am doing some test scenes in 3d And if they where good enough I made
a real model or animation of it...

Btw nice That u Join Cgi_dude...I hope Math have send a PM to you about the joining...

Pjanssen
05-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Is there a script and/or storyboard for this project?

cgidude
05-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Btw nice That u Join Cgi_dude...I hope Math have send a PM to you about the joining...

nothing yet

Matt122004
05-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Welcome to the team CGI-DUDE! E-mail me at Matt122004@gmail.com

I'll send you the info you need to know. And storyboarding is still being created. This project is going really good!

Pjanssen
05-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Any chance that we can get to see the script or storyboard? (or a part of it that's already finished)
I mean, at the moment all I know is that you're making a 2,5hours long sci-fi movie with liveaction and cg and we've got a very rough plot. I think that when you want to attract more and seriously experienced artists, you'll need to show them more.
And a script+storyboard will also give a better idea to others of how realistic (or how unrealistic) the goal of this project is.

denntanos
05-14-2005, 09:37 AM
I will ask if i get permission to show material...
I really wanna show something a bout whats done but i must ask first...

Grrrrrrr
05-14-2005, 03:56 PM
when i first read this i imideatly got a lack of professionalism feeling and made me turn my head and say to myself...naaah...this will never work.....so....if i thought that....i think there will be many more that will think the same....so how are u gonna attract ppl joining if u don't post nothing certen....any plans of organisation.....because u have to have a very good way to comunicate to the members ur ideas ........and i'm sure that pros and experienced ppl will not join because who would wanna waste free time on something that at first sight looks unprofessional and unealistic......and i don't want to be harsh...just realistic.....2 hours of film....don't think i will see that film done.......but since u look very optimistic i sence that u must have some reasons ( or u r crazy :) ) i personally think that u should first create the trailer...yes don't laugh.....this is very very challanging so if u start making the 4-5 min trailer (a bit too much but...) u will see if u can handle all this......or not....anyway good luck....i really hope u will make the good decisions....

Matt122004
05-15-2005, 04:31 AM
ok, get ready, because here the info you need. The full script will not be givien out to the public till Production, but here is the Synopsis Script and Concept Art by Pawlack.

Synopsis Script
--------------------------------------
Star Wars
Plot Summary Script Synopsis Story
Sith War
by
Matthew Korpman

*30 Years ago a great war started, but ended with the Jedi victorious. The Jedi are now at their prime, with numbers ranging from 20,000, But the Sith want revenge for the great loss they suffered. The republic forces were able to drive the sith out for a long time, unfortunatly the Sith now have numbers growing further than 20,000. The Jedi have recieved information that a gigantic sith fleet armada is preparing an attack. The Jedi have decided not to take action right now, they do not want to take losses like those from the Great Hyperspace War. Now the Jedi Councel must decide a plan of action, so that countles lives are not lost......*

*On Coracaunt The Jedi Councel decides on a plan of action. They finally decide to increase security on Couracaunt and send two Jedi Knights to investigate the matter. Couracaunt aggrees to increase security incase of an attack. The Jedi Councel decides to send Jedi Knight Jahnii and Jedi Knight Koto. The Two board a Jedi starship and put in coardinates for tatoine. Hopefully they will find traces of Sith somewhere near there.*

*The gigantic sith armada is a fleet of hundreds of Sith Star Destroyers and bilions of Sith Tie Fighters. On board the Super Sith Star Destroyer "Death Decree", Dark Lord of The Sith Malak looks through a window overlooking his fleet. His Sith Apprentice arrives and tells Darth Malak that the fleet is 80% complete and that in a day the fleet will be at Maximum capacity and will be ready for an attack on the republic. Darth Malak is pleased to hear this and tells his apprentice "Darth Rentus", to order the fleet to prepare for an all out attack on the Republic. Darth Rentus walks away and Darth Malak goes back to staring at his fleet. *

*The Jedi Starship leaves Hyperspace and slows dow to the planet Tatoine. The Jedi scan the planet for any traces of Sith but find none. Jahnii says that they might find something on Mandelore, he explains that Revan found something there and that maybe they'll find out where the sith are. They set new cordinates and jump into hyperspace. After exiting they come upon Mandelore, a desolate rocky mountain terrain planet. They scan the planet for anything unusal, they find high energy signatures on the eastern side of the planet and decide to land there. After landing they get out and start looking for where the energy signature is coming from.*

*On Couracaunt the Senaters are debationg the issue of the Sith. One senater argues that it is pointless to resitist the sith if they have a never ending battle fleet. While the other argues that the Jedi can handle the Sith easily. The Chanselor aggrees with the Party for the Jedi, he states that for now the Jedi will handle the Sith with the help of the Rebublic.*

*In the Jedi Temple, Master Vandar (Yoda's Grandfather) and Master Sersuji debate the issue of the Sith attack. They argue that they don't have enough evidence that there might be an attack. None the less, they still aggree they should be ready. Master vandar walks off towrd the Jedi Archives.*

*On Mandelore the Two stumble upon a great cave. They walk in to find a giganic map of the Uknown territories. This map lists twelve sith Homeworlds in the Galaxy. They quickly board their ship and send a holographic message to the Jedi Councel telling them that they might have some valuable evidence on the Sith. Master Vandar tells them to investigate further in the matter. The two enter in coardinates found in the map and enter in hyperspace. They emerge next to a lush green forest planet. While they scan, the planet they find that on the other side of the planet there is a gigantic sith armada. They quickly turn the other way and enter new coardinates.*

*On the Death Decree, Darth Malak is informed about a starship entering from Hyperspace. Malak orders 40 Sith Tie Fiters to destroy the ship. 40 Ties exit a star destoryer and head towrd the ship.*

*The two Jedi soon realize they were spotted and start to put in cordinates. The tie's hit the ship and the ship shakes a little. The tie's chase the ship through the entire fleet until it enters hyperspace. They exit at a new location where there is another sith aramada. They send another Hologram explaining that there are sith armadas at every location found on Madelore. They don't think the Jedi or the Republic can stand against such an attack. The Jedi Councel orders them to return immediatly Koto aggrees and shuts down the hologram, they set their coardinates, but just than the Star Destroyer opens their tractor beam and starts to pull in the two jedi. Their stuck, there is nothing they can do but watch as they are pulled into the Star Destroyer.*

*Malak is informed that the second fleet captured the Jedi and will terminate them when he is ready. Malak tells them to do what they want with the prisoners. Now Malaks first fleet enters light speed and exits at coracaunt where they meet republic and jedi starships. The rebublic fires on the sith aramada blowing up one of the ships. The sith armada retreats and lures the republic to folow them. They all enter huperspace and exit on Tretonus, a flat grassy terain planet. The sith land and so do the republic, now a gigantic fight begins with Master Sersuji and 5,000 jedi leading thousands of republic troops. In space republic and sith fight an imence battle.*

*Back on Coauracaunt a new sith fleet arrives and starts to invade Couracaunt. 10,000 jedi start to battle the sith on land and in space. At the Jedi Temple, there is only 2 Jedi and many younglings. Rougue Sith break in and kill the two Jedi. The younglings rush out to see what is happening and than freeze as they see the Sith. Just than 5 teenage younglings drop from the cealing and protect the younglings. The Sith Battle with the 5 Youngling Jedi and all Sith die and 2 Jedi die.*

*Juhanii and koto break loose and head for the bridge, but the sith fleet enter hyperspace and exit at Corucaunt where a great war is taking place. Juhanii jumps and slices the cammanding officer. Sith troops open fire on the two jedi, but Juhanii and Koto deflect the blasts with their lightsabers. Juhanii uses the force to violently bash the sith troops against the hull. Once all troops are dead, Juhanii sets the Auto-Self Destruct for 10 minutes. The two run for the hanger where they find a Sith Cargo Transport. They get on board and fly out of the ship. A Star destroyer starts to pass by the other star destroyer and when it blows up, the other does too.*

*Back on Tretonus Jedi battle to the Death. A dazzling show of flashes and flying lightsabers and lighting is seen. A Jedi jumps in the air and uses the force to create an energy missile that blows a hole in the star destroyer. Master Sersuji is slicing sith like they were fly's. But hundreds of Jedi are being killed by the Sith, it looks like the end is nearing for both sides. In space the Sith are destroying all Republic and Jedi Starfighters. Not one Jedi is wining in space.*

*On the Death Decree, Malak instructs the Sith Younglings to join the battle. Both sides are loosing the same, the younglings will add an advantage to his army.*

*On Couracaunt, Sith battle against Jedi in the most climatic battles ever seen. Couracaunt is being destroyed! Millions of buildings are crashing down to the Lava pits below. The Jedi are faster than the Sith and were ready for them. The Sith soon realize they are no match for the Jedi and call for backup. *

*On Tretonus, Sith Younglings appear and start to kill Jedi. They are stronger than they appear, and sloughter many in quick time. All seems lost.....*

*In space a Star Destoyer gets the call and enters hyperspace. Exiting at Couracaunt, he orders all troops to land and help defeat and take over the Jedi Temple. Troops land in Cargo Ships and start to bombard the Jedi, but out of no where Juhanii and Koto come to the rescue and help the Jedi destroy the Sith. The Jedi also have backup and soon 5000 Jedi exit out of hyperspace in Jedi Starships. They land and start to overcome the Sith. The Sith are soon pushed farther back and soon all the way back to their ships. The sith call for backup and get no responce. They are all doomed. They retreat to their ships and head for space, but only to find Republic forces firing misiles at them. Soon all Sith are destroyed, and the republic forces set cordinates for Tretonus. They enter hyperspace.*

*On Tretonus, The Jedi are loosing the battle. Master Sersuji is well trained, but their are to many sith. Just than the backup arrives and starts to bobbard the Sith Forces. Juhanii with Republic forces enter the Death Decree and head for the bridge. Juhanii see's Malak and Rentus, Rentus charges at her but misses. Juhanii strikes the ill minded sith killing him insantly. Juhanii jumps and lands next to Malak, they battle to the end, Juhanii wins.* The sith are no match and decide to retreat. The remaining forces in space enter hyperspace, leaving their ground troops to fend for themselves. The remaining ground forces are killed and the battle is over. The Jedi count the Jedi bodies and find that over 10,000 Jedi died. This battle did more bad than good.*

*On Couracaunt, Master Vandar, Master Sersuji, Jedi Knight Juhanii, and Koto discuss the matter further. They conclude that if another attack was made, they would be defensless. Their numbers have been split in half and there is no hope in sight. Master Vandar states the prophecy of the chosen one, and says that when he comes, all will be at peace. They aggree and look out upon a burning building and smoke out in the city. On Couracaunt, Master Vandar, Master Sersuji, Jedi Knight Juhanii, and Koto are rewarded for their acts of courage against the Sith. A huge celebration takes place. Fade to black. Roll end credits.*
------------------------------------------------

Hope you think more highly of this project. When my team read the script, they Loved it and thought it was so cool! This is a proffesional project, but it's only been in buisness for 2 weeks. You can expect great things from this project!

Sincerely,
Matthew

http://img218.echo.cx/img218/4030/fbf9gs.th.jpg (http://img218.echo.cx/my.php?image=fbf9gs.jpg)
http://img156.echo.cx/img156/3232/f0pu.th.jpg (http://img156.echo.cx/my.php?image=f0pu.jpg)
http://img185.echo.cx/img185/3425/g5wy.th.jpg (http://img185.echo.cx/my.php?image=g5wy.jpg)
http://img202.echo.cx/img202/2299/jjghk9mr.th.jpg (http://img202.echo.cx/my.php?image=jjghk9mr.jpg)
http://img77.echo.cx/img77/6932/untitled24su.th.jpg (http://img77.echo.cx/my.php?image=untitled24su.jpg)

Matt122004
05-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Well? What do you guys think?

MeandCg
05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
sounds great

cgidude
05-16-2005, 05:51 PM
sound very good mate

Smb
05-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi,
after reading this I had some things in mind... I don't want to insult you or anybody but I didn't like the script at all. Why? Well, mainly bacause there is nothing in it, it's just another boring fight with lightsabres ( oh my, how many of them will be in this one...), no original idea under all the story... you also didn't put any information about those main characters... I really hoped to see something new, not just another non-stop fighting movie where all is just because Sith are the bad guys and Jedi the good one's... plz, don't take this as insult, just overlook your script... and make some thoughts about it...

cheers

ndog
05-16-2005, 08:27 PM
I agree with Smb, the story synopsis is very flat, give some thought to identifying parts of the story that you can expand on and possibly create subplots. One interesting concept is the Sith younglings, I'm sure there are others. You don't seem to lack imagination don't worry about reworking what you've done I think you can make it better. Good luck with this.

Matt122004
05-17-2005, 12:48 AM
would you guys calm down. The actual script has a many sub stories. Some funny parts and alot of dialog between republic fighters. It's not a non stop fighting movie. This movie will explain alot about episode 1 and why the sith were thought to be extinct. AND THIS IS A VERY ORIGINAL IDEA!

ndog
05-17-2005, 05:30 AM
Posted by Matt122004 "Well? What do you guys think?"

N'uff said.

Grrrrrrr
05-17-2005, 07:24 AM
AND THIS IS A VERY ORIGINAL IDEA!
lol...plz...let us decide that :)......anyway.....ur idea it's not that original i must say....because it looks a looooooot like the main story from the game Knight of the old Republic (1).......and i'm not very happy with that.......
anyway....when are we gonna se some actual stuff....models and other things.....

DogmaD
05-17-2005, 07:56 AM
I think it is time some of you guys stop commenting. It is one thing to come with constructive critique when there is clearly asked for. It is another when the project leader clearly states that he wants the critique to stop at this point to keep on going.

would you guys calm down. The actual script has a many sub stories. Some funny parts and alot of dialog between republic fighters. It's not a non stop fighting movie. This movie will explain alot about episode 1 and why the sith were thought to be extinct. AND THIS IS A VERY ORIGINAL IDEA!

Now, it is easy to see that the guy feels attacked by the negative responses. I can't say i blaim the responses. But i do think you should approach a project with a positive attitude, or just don't say anything at all. Now, if i was the project leader, i would use the advice given. Because if people already notice flaws at this stage, it is still relatively easy to change. And constructive input is one of the most valuable things you have.

lol...plz...let us decide that :)......anyway.....ur idea it's not that original i must say....because it looks a looooooot like the main story from the game Knight of the old Republic (1).......and i'm not very happy with that.......
anyway....when are we gonna se some actual stuff....models and other things.....

Things like this are not constructive at all. In fact you are now just attacking and questioning the capabilities of another team. Which you simply should not do, because it has no positive influence on the project at all.

Now, i won't comment on the script. All i can say is good luck again.

Grrrrrrr
05-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Let me ask u somthing DogmaD.....would u join a project were the objective was already acheved by someone else...the only purpose of my post was to open his eyes and to make him change things as it is still possible......and since SW is a very aboarded subject it is essencial to be original....especially on such a big project......
In fact you are now just attacking and questioning the capabilities of another team
that's absolutely not true ....because i DIDN"T say that the team CAN"T do that....all i said is that the subject was not as original ass he claims...
Which you simply should not do, because it has no positive influence on the project at all.

why should i keep my eyes closed and not do something and see in a month this project dissapear from the thread list.....again i say....the purpose of my post was to make him take some good decisions......

DogmaD
05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Well, now you are stating some valid concerns. But come on, they don't really show from this post, do you think:

lol...plz...let us decide that ......anyway.....ur idea it's not that original i must say....because it looks a looooooot like the main story from the game Knight of the old Republic (1).......and i'm not very happy with that.......

Well, at least i would never have read those concerns from this post. Offcourse there is the risk the project does not last more than a couple of months, but i don't think that is something you or me can stop. They have to keep working on it themselves. Actualy i think a lot of negative responses will only kill it quicker, when they are not constructive.

About the joining question. People have already joined his team. So some people are interested in working on it. No point in discussing if i personally would join it, other people are. Making it a valid collaboration. They have already stated they like the story, so there are people interested in it. Making the story something valid for them to work on. Can you state your concerns, sure you can, all i say is keep it constructive. Something i honestly don't think the post i quoted above was. Now, i don't want to hold a whole discussion in here, because that will screw up the thread. So after next response i will pm you if you want to discuss things further.

Pjanssen
05-17-2005, 06:36 PM
I must say that I completely agree with DogmaD.

@Grrr: A thing which is very important here is that this is fanart. This on it's own makes it far less original. Compare it with a project like your own, or The Minas Tirith Project. You can't say that those are original isn't it?

Oh and please mind your typography, it's quite illegible the way you type now with all those dots and without enters and capitals. Thanks.

I won't judge the script by the way, just because I don't like Starwars as a whole, so it won't be objective anyway. But I want to say good luck to the team. I'm really interested in seeing how this project will evolve.

softdistortion
05-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Dogma has some good points, it's kind of futile to make more critical comments now. I think some (me included) were concerned to see another collab fold and add to the blood stains of this forum. But there is now enough info for people to make an informed decision about joining, and if it does fold, there is also enough info to allow people to draw an informed conclusion as to why it folded as well.

They should also be allowed to do whatever they want, without crits on whether it is original or not. This is a after all a collaboration forum, not a script forum!

Pjanssen
05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
it's kind of futile to make more critical comments now.
I would like to add a little bit to this: I think it's futile to make non-constructive critical comments. That just leads to nothing.
But constructive comments can make the project better, if the project leader choses to take them into account.

softdistortion
05-17-2005, 07:11 PM
hehe..Pjanssen we must have posted at almost the same time, cause I didn't get to read your post before mine went in...wasn't being critical of your suggestions re; typography etc. :)

Pjanssen
05-17-2005, 07:27 PM
hehe..Pjanssen we must have posted at almost the same time, cause I didn't get to read your post before mine went in...wasn't being critical of your suggestions re; typography etc. :)
I know I know :) It was more of an addition to your post than crits or something.

denntanos
05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Yes we now its like the knights of old repbublic...But have u see it on film yet???
u dont know the changes In his own script U dont now!!!you are just giving stupid critics
and say we are gonna lose this project!!!
Im glad to get critic but not when some one say it is not REAL to do this...

cgidude
05-17-2005, 10:52 PM
I think people have to come down here .....relax

Its still early stages on the project nothing is final... the project is not even in prodution yet...you give points that is good but that just COME DOWN

Matt122004
05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Ok, My movie is not about Knights Of The Old Republic (1)! I have comments about it, but the film is not based on it. If you have read about Star Wars History, there was a great final battle between the Sith and The Jedi and Republic. This war was called the Sith War. It is this war that lead the Jedi to believe that the Sith were extinct. The character, MALAK, is not the character from the game. This is another Sith Lord that was called Malak, and looks nothing like the games character. My film comes after Knights of the old Republic (1). I have always wondered what the sith war was like, so I decided to make a fan film about it. And incase you are wondering, this film will have real actors. Please stop this bickering! I hate it when people can't just calm down for a while.

Grrrrrrr
05-18-2005, 07:24 AM
k ppl.. U are missing a point here.The only reason i've said what i did was because he said it's original and i really didn't see it that way.

Compare it with a project like your own, or The Minas Tirith Project. You can't say that those are original isn't it? i'm affraid this is kinda "irrelevant" because the whole point of ur project is to copy(one way or another) Minas Tirith.....that applyes in my case...the only difference is that beside the copied models i'm adding something original - the animatins......if they will ever be done :).so.....I didn't seen u say "this is something original" and i didn't say that neither.
A thing which is very important here is that this is fanart. This on it's own makes it far less original. that's absolutely true....BUT let me tell u somthing....let's take this case...if u have a paper...a brush....and colors....will u create a piece of art?Dunno the answer to that (but i doubt it )but i can say this.....Matt122004 has the subject ( character, places....even stories) but it's up to him on how he arranges and planes everything so that in the end the story and project to be captivating and interesting....

I won't judge the script by the way And u think that not comenting the script ur helping.....the script it's the hart of this whole project .So if that doesn't funtion aprropriate the whole system breakes down....
Ok, My movie is not about Knights Of The Old Republic (1)! I have comments about it, but the film is not based on it. If you have read about Star Wars History, there was a great final battle between the Sith and The Jedi and Republic. This war was called the Sith War. It is this war that lead the Jedi to believe that the Sith were extinct. The character, MALAK, is not the character from the game. This is another Sith Lord that was called Malak, and looks nothing like the games character. My film comes after Knights of the old Republic (1). I have always wondered what the sith war was like, so I decided to make a fan film about it. And incase you are wondering, this film will have real actors. Please stop this bickering! I hate it when people can't just calm down for a while.

If u wanted to avoid my post u should've said that earlyer....but if u were me...and have seen the resemblance betwin the 2 subjects(without knowing what u've said now)...how would u react?And u should know that for everything the start it's the hardest....so try and think clear.Good Luck!

PS:Pjanseen i hope my typography satisfies u :eek: .

Kirt
05-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Matt - There are many Collab "veterans" in on this discussion which are well aware of what a task you are proposing with this film. I wouldn't dismiss anyone's opinions in this thread regardless of how brutal they may seem. Realistically, the odds of completing a collab are against you (even if you are planning only a 10 minute film). Two and a half hours ... is almost comical to those who are aware of what's involved.

Pick a small portion of your film idea that would work as a good proof of concept and work on that. When you have a short 5 minute segment done you'll have a better idea of what it's going to take to get this entire film completed.

Noone is trying to convince you to abandon your dream, but I think everyone here will agree that your ambitions are really high. Think small and accomplish big. That should be the mantra of all collab projects.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever managed a collab project before or is this your first attempt?

Divaise
05-18-2005, 08:33 AM
its very hard to make sucha a movie... may be even impossible if you don't have a pratice with other similar projects... Wish ya luck

denntanos
05-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Math is this project dead???
It seems so because nothing happends!
And no one is active at forum!

MrWaRrDoG
05-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Dead already? And I never ever saw 3d footage :sad:

Grrrrrrr
05-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Dead already? And I never ever saw 3d footage
Math is this project dead??? It seems so because nothing happends! And no one is active at forum!

Now THIS isn't very nice.....Why are u picking on him ? All the collaborative projects that are in here have a slow feedback.....well....a very slow feedback.....So this isn't unusual.Though in this situation he should have post some stuff to proove to us that this project has a reliable base ......to make us stop commenting the possibilities of making this project happening.
Hey do u have assambled the modelling team?when are we going to see some models?can u show us more concept arts or .....anything?

I want to say one more thing....i just saw a little documentary about the making of Star Wars Revelation....a 50 min fan film .It took him(forgot the name) 3 years and 2 million dollars to make it(not on his own of course)...so the facts are giving us some strong arguments and the ods are really agains u...and i'm sorry to tell u this....But Fantastic Film.I hope urs gets to be better.

MrWaRrDoG
05-20-2005, 06:33 PM
I am NOT picking on him
I'm just anxious to see how this project evolves.

dinodog-jr
05-20-2005, 07:10 PM
hmm.i dun wan to ask too much something bout like 5mins trailer..

maybe jst a few of Final screenshots from the shooting scene..

i wanna knw does the CG looks realistic & fit the screen.
Does The actors got the unique outfit design? One of the best we got in SW is costume design.

keep updating..
me too wondering how to make a long fillm thru a forum without meeting peoples.

Matt122004
05-20-2005, 11:32 PM
The project is not dead. I wasn't online for 2 days. I've been busy working on the script, and yesterday I went and saw Episode 3. It's so cool! I don't care what you guys think of the project. I like star wars and I like filming. I'm going to finish this project. Good or Bad? Only time will tell. The script is very good and everyone who has read it, has liked it. I have a 6 people modeling team. That's it for now, Denatnos, I'm going to be posting on the forum again, don't worry.

Matt122004
05-21-2005, 01:00 AM
By the way, I need constructive critics, like NDOG. He told me that I should expand the sith younglings scene, and I took his advice and made the scene better than ever and much cooler. If people can give me advice like this, than I can use it to make my film better.

denntanos
05-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Ok good and ive done some models I gonna post them soon...Im not home now...

Grrrrrrr
05-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I am NOT picking on him I'm just anxious to see how this project evolves. ...ehe..sry...but not very obviuose from ur post...

I don't care what you guys think of the project. I like star wars and I like filming. I'm going to finish this project.

This kind of behaviour is not very good.....yes u have to be optimist......but u think we are wasting time writing here for nothing......Don't u think it's a bit odd that many CG 'veterans' aren't as optimist as u are......

Ok good and ive done some models I gonna post them soon...Im not home now...
U were really far i can see :)

I'm really wondering....do u know what 2h30min movie means....man...i'm doing like a total of 10 min animation and i'm overwhelmed...but 2h....geez.....that means houndreds of independent scenes.....Anyway....I hope u don't think we like saying these things.Because i see that u are a little upseat....but u must not forget that we are here to help (i'm trying :) )....I really think u should give us a little more info about the whole thing and after that the optimistic behaviour....I know u expect from us helpfule advices but i don't see the point on trying to give some constructive advices if the cause is not valid.So...try to think what 2h mean .Oh 2h and 30 min .

Matt122004
05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Here's an exclusive post of a model for you to see. This is one of the Jedi's ships:

Matt122004
05-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I really need CG Artists who can create cg scenes. I hope some of you reading right now will join the team. Storyboarding is going good. Just a few more pics to go and I will release something to the public.

Art1977
05-23-2005, 02:07 AM
In which time you´re planning to finish this movie? Did you watched star wars - revelations, i thought those guys worked 3 or 4 years on the project (45 min FILM). Also Star Wars - Tydirium, a german project... those guys work about 4 years on the project.

I just want to know how long do you plan to realize this project ?

Greetz
Art

Matt122004
05-23-2005, 02:24 AM
The film will try to be finished in 3 or 4 years. I could really use your telents on my team. I loved your fan film version of Episode 4. You do great work. I would be honored to have you on my team.

asdomg
05-23-2005, 08:54 AM
If you need help of model\texture\idea and some composition , I may help you. post you assignment to my e-mail asdomg@hotmail.com , than i ll make it happen!

May the force be with you

ilusiondigital
05-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I give you a hand if you need (3d concept designer), send me an email victor@ilusiondigital.com

Matt122004
05-24-2005, 12:47 AM
asdomg and ilusiondigital, you have the job. E-mail me at Matt122004@gmail.com when your ready to start. Welcome to the team guys! We now have 12 people on the team! But we still need CG Artists who can create CG Scenes. I also need more concept artists. Thanks to everyone who has supported this film.

Ephisus
05-24-2005, 04:47 PM
2 million dollars to make it(not on his own of course).

20,000. On his own.

Grrrrrrr
05-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Now i'm convinced.After seeing the feedback u got at theforce.net i realized that i wasn't the only one who thought ur idea has no future ( well i didn't say it that strait but they did).Man those ppl really know what they are saying and if u r not listening to us .....plz listen to them.I will not say anything else.I do not agree with the way they 'scan' u though ..."oh....i looked to the joining date and all made sence ". Only because this is ur first big project that doesn't mean anything.But still....

I come back to the script...they too recognized the KoTor style and complained even more.
So in conclusion i would really like to think again and again before u dissapoint other ppl because here is not all about u but about the whole team.Here is one way to see if ur current work is good.Imagine it done (just try......exactly as u wish it to be ) and than try and think what complains u could get.And one by one try and elliminate them and this way things will go better.I am using this technique and i can assure u....it works.

Sry for that missunderstanding.....20.000...lol...i

Ephisus
05-25-2005, 01:46 AM
All of that is true, though not really necessary.

If I was a betting man, I would bet against this film getting a second of film shot. I've seen it way too much. It's a weekly occurance at TFN. A noob shows up, and thinks he's going to make the greatest fan film on the planet, Trilogies are popular in the boastings, as well as multiple hour scripts.

Not in 5 years have any of these things taken place. On the other hand, there have been some quite brilliant 20-40 minute fan films.

The first thing the filmmaker should learn, especially the young one, is to keep a level head about thier first production.

softdistortion
05-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Hey guys...there isn't much to debate anymore if you read this thread... maybe let the guy be for now.

If people can't realistically figure out what's what by now, you can explain and debate till the next Starwars episode is released, and they still won't get it. :banghead:

Matt122004
05-25-2005, 02:50 AM
i don't think my film will be the biggest and best. i'm just hoping it will be good and entertaining.

Ephisus
05-25-2005, 03:17 AM
If it's half as good as you'd expect, and 2 hours long, it will be heralded as THE fan film.

Sadly, the odds are stacked against it being completed.

But good luck on it, nonetheless. I would be the happiest person around if you proved me wrong.

Matt122004
05-26-2005, 02:41 AM
thanks! I think i will change mandelore to yavin 4.

Matt122004
05-27-2005, 03:02 AM
The Official Website is being created. I'm changing Mandelore to Yavin 4. I've added a cool lightning storm to the film. It has a big impact on the story and it's a storm that was created by Force Lightning. When the Official Website is up, there will be more images, short pieces of the script released, and auditions will start immediatly. I need voice auditions for Sith Troopers and auditions for the main roles. If your interested, take a look at the website when it's online.

Sincerely,
Matt122004

malcolmvexxed
05-30-2005, 09:43 PM
this has no chance, but have fun lol.

Matt122004
05-31-2005, 02:40 AM
Don't bash my film! People thought Star Wars was going to be horrible and couldn't be done, IT DID get finished and became a legend!

ivanisavich
05-31-2005, 03:00 AM
He's not bashing your film Matt...because you don't have one yet.

I really think you need to re-evaluate your movie's length man. It won't have a chance if you intend to keep it at 2.5 hours. That's a fact, plain and simple.

Right now your stubborness is both limiting your film's potential, and dragging a lot of other people's hard work into the ground.

As we've been suggesting: keep it under 20 minutes...probably 4-5 is good.

ChrisBG
05-31-2005, 03:53 AM
Matt,

It's story time.

There once was a 13 year old boy named Chris. Chris thought he could take on a full length RPG project, so he went out and got a team. They spent a year working hard on this magnificiant RPG, but it failed. All that was completed in a years time was a semi-crap editor that had no use. Why? because Chris had aimed to high. That was me three years ago.

I got into filmmaking when I was fifteen, last year. Over the last while I have learned so much about production, management, directing, writing, music, visual effects (thanks to you guys at cgtalk) and a whole lot more. One thing that stands out here is projects where you aim too high will fail. My films this year have been under 10 minutes long. George lucas' first films were very short also. He didn't just randomly decide to make a feature one day with no clue about how to do it.

Matt, most Star Wars fan movies are absolutely terrible. Why?

Untrained/useless actors. The thing that sticks out for me the most is the poor acting and lack of voice experience/training. On top of that they're shot on their parents handycams with onboard camera mics, shit/no lighting, a useless score OR stolen music from John Williams and a whole heap of other stuff.

I don't know if you go to school or whatever, but a feature film like the one you are 'planning' is going to take years. Why not spend that time learning about filmmaking and making 10 short movies instead? Even star wars based is fine, just don't aim for 2.5 hours yet. Wait until you have the time, money, experience etc.

How many films have you made Matt? Do you know the huge amount of work involved? Please don't tell me this is your first movie. Remember: Start small, move up. Even the biggest hollywood directors started small.

I'm not bashing your 'film' or idea. Just think realistically. Follow my advice and make a series of smaller movies. You'll understand later I'm sure. I know the new Star Wars is fantastic, but don't try and be something you're not just yet. You'll get there if you take it slowly.

-Chris

Cryptite
06-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I looked at the thread in this forum and I saw it had 88 replies. I thought; hey cool, this thing might actually have gotten over its few initial pages of warnings and gotten some work done...

Guess I was wrong.

Dude, I'm not saying don't do it. If you really feel like you can make a 2.5 hour movie and keep your team working on it that long, and make a good movie, then you'll have amazed and surprise all of us here. But again, don't think we're trying to tell you you're a noob and to quit while your head. You just need to put things into perspective. Realistically it takes hundreds of artists to make a completely cg 2.5 hour movie...

Oh well, good luck for whatever the outcome.

Matt122004
06-02-2005, 04:51 AM
It's Not Completely Cg! It's Live Action!

ChrisBG
06-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Doesn't really make much of a difference. You'll still be shooting for a very long time, and I don't even want to start on post production. You're not experienced enough to make a feature film, face it.

Start small. make a series of short films based on star wars instead. At least then you'll be being realisitc, and you will be able to see some real stuff after a little while. With a feature, you're going to be working your ass off for years, and the end result will be shit.

-Chris

Matt122004
06-03-2005, 01:59 AM
If calling my film SHIT, doesn't count for bashing. I don't know what! If you think the film will be shit, than that's your oppinion. Everyone on my team who has read the script has said that it is a great story. Keep your bad oppinions to yourself.

visionist
06-03-2005, 03:04 AM
I am sorry Matt I agree with everone here about starting small. I dont think ChrisBG was trying to be mean about saying it will be shit, just that when and if you ever finish this it wont be to par with what you had in your mind. could you maybe make your 2.5 hour story and break it into chapters. that way it will become more realistic of actually finishing one or two of the maybe 10 chapters and realize you dont wanna do it any more but a still have something done to show. and it will be easier to keep a team maybe your team cant stay for the few years it will take to finish this project, but with chapters it will take a few months or more but people wont havta sign away most of their lifes for a fan feature length:)

LmB

softdistortion
06-03-2005, 04:36 AM
Come on people ...the advice and crit are getting tired now...let them do what they want to do and you can see what happens :shrug:

Cryptite
06-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Guys, let us now enter the sit back and watch phase of this argument. Our points are made, only time will prove the lesson-teacher here.

Matt122004
06-03-2005, 11:28 PM
The film will not be 2.5 hours. It will be 1.5 or 2.0 hours. Never 2.5 hours.

Grrrrrrr
06-04-2005, 06:02 AM
whoaa...very big differance...not!it's still very very....extremly hard to acheve....And i see u really don't get it so i'll let u see it on ur own....For 6 pages we are trying to make u see that it's likely u'll make something of that proportion...but no..u keep on going with ur little fixed ideas instead of analyzing our words...so be it.But with this kinda of progress u'll go nowere....The ones who made SW III were doing 3 scenes per day and still the movie took a while to make.What about u ?

Jonathan_McEnroe
06-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Hey Matt,

I can see your gettin a bit of a hammering on this one. You should do what I am doing just now, take at least 15 to 20 minutes (30 minutes even) of your script and turn that into a film, and then it will give the others an insight into what you are capable of. I have experiance, but I am still going down a careful route of making sure I can definately do this, and it's proving to be successful so far :)

And at least this way you'll have a nice chunk of the film completed, and it will leave people wanting more if its good enough to continue :)

I'm not going to critisize your project, I just want to help you :thumbsup:

Jonathan

Cryptite
06-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Matt, be careful posting "never"'s. You wouldn't believe how much CGTalkers and, many other forum smart@$$es fact check. Case in point:

Look at your first post on this thread:

The movie will be 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Careful.

f97ao
06-08-2005, 02:06 AM
I've dropped into this post. Fan films and collaborative work are great ways to create films.
But just as with everything, it's a must to start small and get bigger.
A script is very important, but for fan films that does feel like one of the easiest parts.

I haven't read all posts, but have you posted a CV here?
Since people are basically working for, but naturally with you, it's very important to know your background, since they are investing time and basically money, possibly serious money into the project.

If this doesn't exist, i think a post of who you are as a character, some info about your previous projects were about, how they turned out. What your current job situations is etc. These are all very important pieces of information, to decide if the readers thinks the project is realistic or not. If you are young, have never made a film etc, don't be afraid to say so, be honest since this is almost a job interview, but backwards. You should really do something like a trailer as well. Showing how the finished movie will look. It doesn't have to be that long, but say 30-60 seconds, since that will sure keep you bussy to finish.

So be careful both you and everyone investing time. Collaborative projects can be great fun, but I'm sure they can be vastly dissapointing at times as well.

Creating the film and finishing it in shapters, really sound like the best idea I have heard so far.

/Andreas

malcolmvexxed
06-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Come on people ...the advice and crit are getting tired now...let them do what they want to do and you can see what happens :shrug:

agreed

but lol @ not 2.5 hours that was one of the funnier exchanges i've seen on this site.

Kirt
06-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Can we please let this be?

Plenty of advise has been given in this thread and the project leader remains confident that the film will be lengthy, as planned. Sometimes the hardest lessons we learn are those which we inflict upon ourselves.

If this project completes ... more power to them and many humble apologies from us in return. But, please stop beating a dead horse here. The point has been made. Let them prove us wrong.

Thank you.

Matt122004
06-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I've never made any other colab projects before, but I have made hundreds of home films. I'm addicted to filming. As for my age, I'm under the age of 25. I'm afraid to release the script, because someone might try to steal it. The website is finally published on the web, but I'm adding the final touches on it. Now understand, I posted here 1 month ago. That was when this project started. It's only been one month in pre-production, so actors havn't been found yet. Pre-Production lasts 5 months, so after Pre-Production filming will start. I plan to put together a short teaser soon. It will be display only CG Scenes.

MrWaRrDoG
06-09-2005, 12:29 PM
sound like you know what you're doing
and please let matt prove he can do this instead of bringing him down...
Can't wait to see the teaser

f97ao
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Good luck Matt! :)
Sounds like alot of fun though. That you done lots of small films is a great bonus.
/Andreas

Matt122004
06-09-2005, 11:48 PM
The teaser won't be out for a while. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Matt122004
06-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I really need Animators! I only have 1 animator, 14 Modelors, 1 Concept Designer, 2 Script Writers. If you can animate cg scenes, please join!

Heshmat
06-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Haha, I've just read this entire thread, you should put aside the star wars idea and make a movie about this thread. It'll be an epic.

The first scene in sin city was created far in advanced of the rest of the movie, just to see if they could actually create what they wanted in the movie. A test scene has been mentioned before and I guess that’s the best idea.

And heres a story to hopefully lift your spirits, Director Robert Rodriguez, raised money for his first movie el mariachy by volunteering to be a human "laboratory rat", Most of the guns used in the film were water pistols, and most actors were "innocent" passers by. He gave them lines as and when they were needed. He was producer, director, writer, special-effect man, etc, the only job he didn't do was act, as there would be no one else to operate the camera. Same thing with sweat sweat back bad ass song.

So it can be done, I doubt anything that looks like a blockbuster but something of worth can be created, by sheer will and gorilla film making tactics.

One last thing spend a good solid amount of time on project management and get a huge ass timeline posted up on a wall stating when everything is going to happen.

Even if this project does – Gasp – fail, at least every one who take’s part would have learnt something from it and hopefully produced at least some worthwhile work.

Heshmat
06-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Sorry, Double post. But also Sky captain and the world of tomorrow was started on the directors mac, set up a blue screen in his apartment, using other friends as actors. After four years of working on his own time, he had completed only six minutes of footage.

harikatt
06-23-2005, 05:57 AM
i am over 8years experienced and if you need any modeling or animation part i can support

MeandCg
07-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Has this died? no offence meant. Whats happening?

denntanos
07-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah this is DEAD, He hasnt answer our post in 6 weeks or something :(
And whole team has leave it!...:(

MystikGotan
07-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Well, I think this thread has indeed died out. But that's what you get. I started making a movie with some other guys and didn't really finish it ofcourse. One reason was that I could do some VFX, but not texturing, rigging & animating Gollum within a timeframe of a couple of months.

Currently I am working on another Star Wars fan film. Basically the idea is just to test the Visual FX. That's what you should do too, i think. You just won't be capable of achieving 2,5 hours of VFX or other digital illusions with such a small crew. And let's face it, they may be good, but generally looking at this forum, you won't find that much people of ILM caliber (I'm just being honest here!).

We have the movie sorted out and will begin the final shooting in a few days. Just to practice some more (mostly VFX-wise). LatelyI have really delved into the world of 3d, and right now I am modelling Yoda. From my past experience I have a thorough knowledge of rigging & animating, so I will do some fights with him. I may develop a very simple facial rig for him as well.

Point being here, know your capabilities. Obviously, you don't really know them. The aim is far too high, believe me. Do as I do. Start simple. Make films to practice as well, they don't have to be too good. Making a few bad movies will most likely produce a very nice one in the end, eventually.

Keep making new movies and keep improving your skills. Between your productions, exploit your capabilities so you know exactly what your capable of doing and you won't have such a hard time making your movies.

I am now (kind of secretly) working on a 20-25 fan film. It's not that I am a SW fan, no, really not, but making SW fanfilms is a very good way of improving your skills, because there are many film aspects that will have to be thoroughly exploited and then applied to in a professional way (let's say VFX, sound design & mixing, scoring, editing). Again, when producing this fanfilm (which will take some time as I've got 1 fanfilm to complete, some other test animations and very short (CG) fanfilms, plus a feature I've got to complete), I will constantly have my capabilities in mind. The capabilities that will have to improve with every new time. And push yourself. Know you limits, but always try to exploit new areas and try to do some new stuff. Even if it's a bit difficult. Raise the bar! But know your limits, and ofcourse what you're capable of doing.

Btw, if people are interested, yes they can always contact me. Unfortanately I am redesingnen the websites which will take about 4-5 days as it'll be an even larger network than it used to. I am contactable on da_gotan@hotmail.com.

Gotan

kromekat
07-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Plan more, start small, and move up. Panicstruck's Revelations took 3 years to make-and that was by a production house with experience in these things.

Yes it took 3 years, but no, we weren't experienced in such things - we learned as we went along - that was much of the point. Yes we all had our own experiences and abilities to draw on, but none of us had done anything like this before. :)

Good luck btw Matt! :thumbsup:

jayreef
07-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Good luck btw Matt! :thumbsup:

Agreed,
:)

sickofpop
07-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Well, I guess that settles that debate. It didn't take long for this one to die. Welcome to the world of filmmaking!

Pjanssen
07-04-2005, 05:42 PM
jeez what's with you guys?
It seems that you take more joy of bringing this project down succesfully rather than providing help to make something out of it....sad really.
I've been reading a lot of negative posts here and I must say that it didn't really made me much happier....

jussing
07-05-2005, 07:03 AM
jeez what's with you guys?
It seems that you take more joy of bringing this project down succesfullyRubbish, no-one "brought this project down" except over-ambition. On the contrary - our advice, had it been followed, could have made the project live, albeit in a different shape than the original idea.

I wish Matt the best of luck with future projects, but next time - please, make a 5 minute proof-of-concept project first, for your own sake.

Cheers,
- Jonas

Pjanssen
07-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Rubbish, no-one "brought this project down" except over-ambition. On the contrary - our advice, had it been followed, could have made the project live, albeit in a different shape than the original idea.

Have a look at it from Matts side. He starts a project to work out his ideas and gets torpedoed by a lot of negative posts saying that he's foolish to start a project like this. (that's what it comes down to in fact)
That won't motivate him much to continue don't you think?

I just want to say that I've read this thread with astonishment because of the rather harsh replies coming from all sides. Maybe they were not all ment to be harsh, but that's what they felt like.

Anyway, I hope that I won't see any more of these kind of reactions on other projects here in the collab section. Collab projects are hard enough to complete or even to come past the early stages, the last thing they need are negative replies.

jussing
07-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Have a look at it from Matts side. He starts a project to work out his ideas and gets torpedoed by a lot of negative posts saying that he's foolish to start a project like this. (that's what it comes down to in fact)
That's how you choose to look at it. Fact is, all the advice that was disregarded was the only thing that would have gotten the project made succesfully. With the high ambitions, it was obvious from the beginning the project would end like this. All we did was try to help by making Matt aware of this, and suggest he started with a smaller project.

- Jonas

EDIT: ok, you're right, some of the comments are way too harsh. For my own part, anyway, I was just trying to help prevent a train wreck from happening.

Cryptite
07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
With the high ambitions, it was obvious from the beginning the project would end like this.

It's with high ambitions that projects continue and carry on. It shouldn't be obvious that a project will fail because its leader has high ambitions. I have high ambitions for my Space battle, as did, say, dodo3d with his ambitions for the Minas Tirith project.

The point is alot of the comments could have been made without the harshness to them...

Remember, if you can't think of something nice to say; word it differently.

MrWaRrDoG
07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I just totally agree with cryptite
I followed this project from the beginning and if I were Math, I would have stopped too because a lot of comments are just destructive and demotivating

sickofpop
07-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Read Dentaros post:

Yeah this is DEAD, He hasnt answer our post in 6 weeks or something :(
And whole team has leave it!...:(

Matt had a team of enthusiastic artists who were interested in taking the project somewhere. He hadn't been around for 6 weeks! Sounds like he just lost interest, leading me to believe that he isn't very experienced with filmmaking and just decided to do this project on a whim.

I just totally agree with cryptite
I followed this project from the beginning and if I were Math, I would have stopped too because a lot of comments are just destructive and demotivating

Wardog, I would say that if a few negative comments are enough to bring down your entire motivation for doing a project, then you probably weren't very motivated to do it in the first place.

What we're forgetting here is the fact that people tried to tell him that it simply wasn't a realistic project goal, but he went ahead with it any way. Projects like this only serve to further damage the reputation of collab projects in this forum, which generally have low rates of success to begin with. It also drains resources from other projects that are much less ambitious, and therefore have a better chance of going somewhere. Remember that Matt wasn't the only one working on this project. Several people volunteered their time and effort, and essentially got nothing out of it, when they could have devoted their skills to something that actually had a chance to be completed.

The moral of the story: If you have a collab project idea, keep your project ambition to a reasonable level, and before you present it on these forums, make sure you've developed the idea enough so that people who wish to help aren't wasting their time on something that'll never be completed.

Grrrrrrr
07-05-2005, 06:03 PM
OMG. Now this is an argue about whos fault is it?Only in here u can see this.The fact is that Matt didn't behave like he was supposed to .So he FINALY opened his eyes and saw were he got himself involved.And it was a bit late ,after gatherint a rather big crew(as he claims).And than what he does?He leaves without telling anyone.Usualy this happens with team members but not with the leaders.

Oh an Pjanssen,u claim it's our fault for comming with unappropriate afirmations (thow i say we were only slamming reality in his face), but would u wanna join his project (let's pretend that u don't have ur own Project)?And don't give me stuff like u r not SW fan, because that's not the point.I would sure woudn't wanna waste my time on something i don't see a future...wtf...he wanted 2 hours of film.

MystikGotan
07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi there...

Well I've pretty much read this whole thread by now. There were some positive reactions, some negative, some might say. I haven't seen any negative replies actually. These replies are just based on truth. ChrisBG is absolutely right. I once started out the same way, even less ambitious. We partially abandoned because the movie didn't work, but mostly because by then I wasn't able to create a full CG Gollum with just someone modeling it for me and me having to do the rest. I've come to senses now.

Matt, it's great to have ambition. I'm really not trying to demotivate you, or stop you from trying. On the contrary. By now, you must know you've taken a whole load of weight here. This baby really isn't easy, and you know that, otherwise, we'd have a really big problem! I just hope you will see this and do EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING, to get this project finished. Not just for your sake, and for the 'fans', but for other sakes as well...

- All of your crew. If you'd cancel this, all of the work they did, would've been in vain.
- Collaborative forum & the projects. I'm about to finish my SW fanfilm, then I will have enough short films made to base other projects on experience and other qualities. I started out little, yes. I'm trying to expand that, yes. At the moment I'm doing my own VFX, but someday I'd like to try and achieve effects better and better as they go. I'm planning for a larger fan film right now, 20+-25 minutes long, I suppose. So yes, I will need some more artists. I've trained a lot on compositing and 3d stuff, but I'm not ready to all that same quite yet. So I will need some extra conceptual artists, and some modellers, and hopefully some other people as well, for comping, etc. Not the amount you need, because even after I've shot quite a bunch of movies, I'm not trying to produce a full-length feature film with a whole bunch of CG effects consisting all kinds of effects. I'm still keeping it simple.

Point being here, I'd like to get just some guys aboard. Yes, I'm just working on the conceptuals with a couple of co-workers. Conceptual design, plot (roughly shaped by now). Then I'll do some roughly shaped 3d models, animatics, sound designs, some early composed music (yes we have 2 composers), before I even attempt to gather these people. But the problem is, if these collab projects keep failing, people will lose faith in them and all assistance required for any sort of project will be lost, because people don't want to participate in projects that keep failing.

So this is my advise... It's very very hard, you will need to work your ass of. 20 hours a week, mininum. If you have days off, you have to put in even more effort of course. Just finish this. I don't care what the outcome is. You WILL GAIN respect if you'd just finish it. For all sakes, do it. FINISH IT, PLEASE. You'd help a lot of people, me included.

Btw. I have some questions though. There aren't 20,000 jedi right? I mean in the first 3 episodes there were a couple of hundred. 20,000 seems a little overedge. And 20,000 sith would be impossible as normally there's a master and an apprentice (from what I know). How are you going to visualize all of these people?

Thanks,

Gotan

Matt122004
07-06-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm back! My computer broke down a month ago. Sorry. I'm using the libraries computer as we speak. My computer won't be fixed for another 3 weeks. sorry. The script has gone through so many changes that the story and timeline has changed to something completely different. Sorry to worry you all. The project is not dead. So now you can go back to bickering on about how it will fail. The story has changed. It will take place between Episode 3 and Episode 4. The film will not be 2 hours. It has changed to 45 minutes. I thought about what you guys said and finally understood what I was doing wrong. Hopefully now that the film is only 45 minutes, people will believe it's a realistic goal.

Sincerely,
Matt122004

ivanisavich
07-06-2005, 03:01 AM
2 suggestions Matt:

1) Unless you're literally joking about your computer "breaking", get some danged reliable hardware! Trying to produce a film on a computer that take 7 WEEKS (1 month + 3 weeks as you stated) to fix is unbelievable! Especially when you've got other artists who are counting on you!

Frankly though, I don't buy it. Your computer isn't broken dude. No computer takes that long to fix.

2) 45 minutes is still waaaay too long! Like we've said....possibly 5, and maybe 10.

The project is not dead. So now you can go back to bickering on about how it will fail.

Face it Matt, unless you get your butt in gear and set some reasonable goals, this project is dead.

Now...go make an awesome 5 minute movie!

Matt122004
07-06-2005, 03:15 AM
My computer isn't in the repair shop right now. I've been so busy doing the last of my final tests in school, that I havn't had the time to take it to the shop. BEFORE GOD AS MY WITNESS, MY COMPUTER IS BROKEN. And if you don't know it, I'm a die-hard christian. I have two computers, one that is big and new and powerfull, and a laptop that is old and slow. The big computer doesn't have internet access, so use my laptop to go online. In two weeks my school ends, that will be when i take my computer in for repairs. My life is a little hectick right now, but in two weeks I'll be able to concentrate soley on my film.

Hope this helps. I'm not lying.

jussing
07-06-2005, 07:13 AM
There's no reason for anyone to bicker, if Matt says his computer broke down, his computer broke down. Don't point fingers at that.

45 minutes is a much more realistic goal, Matt. Good luck.

Still, start with a small 5 minute pilot project which can stand on its own - so even if that's all you can finish, it'll still be a finished project. Do this before you cast the final actors and start principal photography.

Plus, with a 5 minute kickass reel to show people, you'll get a lot more people on board, and your 45 minute project will be more likely to succeed.

- Jonas

jayreef
07-06-2005, 07:49 AM
i must admit, i am getting ready to unsubscribe to this thread, i sick of people picking on Matt, leave the guy alone, and let him, and his team get on with making whatever they want :wip:

MystikGotan
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Wy don't you make some sort of a teaser trailer and then a trailer slightly larger (3-4 minutes) about your 45 min movie. That's what we did... You can show people some stuff and have a bit of experience... I think that's a very reasonable idea..

gotan

Shadow_545
07-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Wow, I can't believe all of the negative comments in here. I didn't even fully read every post, I just scanned. Every other person is saying it's dead, it'll never happen, don't waste your time... Maybe he will never finish it, maybe he will, who knows. Give him some slack though for god's sake. I mean who would've thought some unkown new zealender director could make a movie like LOTR. I'm not trying to get all deep about it, but if you don't think he can do it then unregister from the thread and never come back. Period.

Having said that you could follow some of these people's advice about testing or making a smaller movie. The main reason i would agree with a shorter movie is to allow your artists to work harder on fewer scenes. I think you could work that story into 30-40 minutes if not shorter.

btw it's not like any star wars fan film has been very original so don't worry about that.

Good luck to you Matt, I hope everything works out for you.

Grrrrrrr
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey Matt....How are things going? I almous forgot about this project.Are u guys progressing?Can u show us some updates,or anything related?

Ciao!

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2005, 09:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.