PDA

View Full Version : New Doom movie stills

Swizzle
05-04-2005, 01:39 AM
The upcoming DOOM movie from Universal Pictures has been the topic of much conversation since it was announced that Dwayne Johnson (a.k.a. former wrestler The Rock) would be starring in the film adaptation of id Software's classic videogame series. To date, there hasn't been much official info released on the film, but Universal has now released some a few stills and some bits of information, giving us at least a small idea of what to expect in terms of story, cast and crew.Link. (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3/609519p1.html)

FlyByNight
05-04-2005, 01:53 AM
seems like it will be another run of the mill action movie... i dont mind the rock, but i dont think ill be rushing to the theatres to see this... i dont see doom porting well as a movie and think that maybe this was a bad move for the image of the game... but i could be wrong..:shrug:

erilaz
05-04-2005, 02:12 AM
I think I'll go see this just to see how good or bad it is. I want to see what they do to it.... sort of like a morbid fascination!

hypercube
05-04-2005, 02:18 AM
I can't wait. The Rock looks gorgeous! Oh wait, wrong movie thread.

Definitely still on some thin thin premise as far as this being Doom, but wtf. I'll give it a rent. I have to admit so far at least The Rock is good at action, though I never saw Walking Tall. I think it's another case like I Robot where if it was just some other movie that seemed to be ripping off Doom instead of supposing to be a straight up adaptation of Doom, no one would think twice about it.

P.S. Karl Urban is just everywhere now though, isn't he? Must be the nostrils.

erilaz
05-04-2005, 02:21 AM

LOL! Stop making me write bad abbreviated laughing text!:D

Pyke
05-04-2005, 07:08 AM
I think it's looking pretty savy....although I dont know why the ditched mars for 'another planet'. I mean, if you are setting it on another planet thats not earth...why not just make it Mars? Thats like doing something stupid like changing a main characters name...it doesnt add anything, but rather detracts from the original story. Stupid IMHO, although maybe they thought they would be compared to other 'Mars Movies' (Red Planet, Total Recal, Mission To Mars....that stupid movie with Ice T who looks like Manson with dreadlocks).

The weapons they are carrying look pretty 'Doom like', aswell as the general lighting and atmosphere, so I have high hopes that the production design is staying pretty close to id's work...and I doubt these have even gone through any colour correction, meaning it can only get better.

Forgoing the Martian setting from the game, a group of marines is sent to a distant (unspecified) planet to secure a science lab under attack from creatures of unknown origin.

Sounds a bit like Aliens to me-but that cant really be a bad thing. I just hope and pray (haha) that they use Demons, and not aliens. DEMONS PEOPLE....DEMONS!

One thing that i'm a little bit iffy about, is that there is going to be some crap 'love story' element (two of the main characters have the same surname...can anyone say 'wife in distress'?), but hopefully they kill it off early on in the movie. I just wanna see people shooting hellspawn.

EpShot
05-04-2005, 07:28 AM
interesting thing i noticed in the discritions

The Kid (Al Weaver) emerges from the Ark into the Wormhole Chamber of Olduvai and promptly pukes in front of the rest of the squad.
http://media.ign.com/ign/image/pixy.gif

maybe there is a possibility that they open a portale to hell?(hey, i can keep my hopes up:D)

jason-slab
05-04-2005, 08:08 AM

LOL:applause:

Ringlord111
05-04-2005, 04:53 PM
seems like it will be another run of the mill action movie... i dont mind the rock, but i dont think ill be rushing to the theatres to see this... i dont see doom porting well as a movie and think that maybe this was a bad move for the image of the game... but i could be wrong..:shrug:

I agree. But then again, almost any game sounds like a bad idea for a movie.

opus13
05-04-2005, 05:04 PM
N0!1 $up3r mar10 mooveh rox joo!

ahem... yeah. hose stills have 'b' grade written all over them. maybe the photographer just captured the exact wrong moment, but it looks cheesy as hell.

dotTom
05-04-2005, 05:06 PM
I presume they've allocated some of the post budget to fixing the Rocks eyebrow. Some variation on "wire removal".

Pentagramma
05-04-2005, 05:11 PM
This movie has "please donīt watch me" written all over it.

Whatīs next? A Wolfenstein film without nazis? :rolleyes:

-Vormav-
05-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Whatīs next? A Wolfenstein film without nazis? :rolleyes:
Why use nazis when you could have another vampire flick? :D

Anyway, the stills are actually making me a little bit more interested. It's actually kinda looking like they might not be completely butchering the idea behind Doom. But maybe that's just wishful thinking. Somehow, despite the "look" matching up, using "The Rock" and "Doom" in the same sentence doesn't even make sense. :shrug:

Swizzle
05-04-2005, 07:26 PM
In addition to The Rock as Sarge, the film also stars Karl Urban as John "Reaper" Grimm, the formerly nameless space marine who acts as the film's central character.This seems promising. I suppose we can all hope that they kill off Sarge within the first ten minutes and then have the story actually revolve around a single character. It's terribly unlikely, but I can dream can't I?

Boone
05-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Hmmm. The last I heard, this film adaptation was about a SWAT team on a distant planet( not Mars ) and...well. :shrug:

So now the film is about "Marines" on a distant planet whose mission is to secure a science lab from "unknown" creatures. :lightbulb

With the new stills resembling the look of Doom3, and solid news that Karl Urban is actually taking the lead role insted of the Rock( gets an Acadamy award for best supporting actor... ), I'd say that the film is looking more promising. I believe that the planet maybe connected to Mars - perhaps a twin world or something? :)

Lets hope for conformation for the following...

1) Shotguns.
2) Chainsaws.
3) DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSS! :scream:
4) Evil Dead-style stop-motion. :buttrock:
5) A MartianBuddy.com locker! :D
6) Simple "blow-it's-****ing-head-off" hard core action - no Matrix poncing around!
7) Ennio Moriconne does the music... :bounce:

harmonic01
05-04-2005, 09:12 PM
I noticed in the descriptions "in the corridor from Airlock to Carmack's lab" Carmack's lab? The lead programmer for Doom3 engine? :)

Boone
05-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Re: Harmonic01.

Correct. :thumbsup:

Aruna
05-04-2005, 11:33 PM
If this is like Event Horizon on a planet, I'm all over it. That movie was DOOM on a ship! At least Uwe Boll isn't directing it.

Swizzle
05-05-2005, 01:16 AM
6) Simple "blow-it's-****ing-head-off" hard core action - no Matrix poncing around!I must concede that having somebody say that would rank on a scale from one to ten as "Totally sweet."

Windmill
05-05-2005, 02:43 AM
They're a bit off with the lighting (or lack thereof) of the game. To capture the true atmosphere the rooms should be pitch black so the audience can't see crap. I wonder if they'll have monsters leap out of closets :D

erilaz
05-05-2005, 02:52 AM
7) Ennio Moriconne does the music... :bounce:

Wouldn't it be more in line with the game to use Nine Inch Nails?:D But I agree... I want something tense and sweet, not pounding and hard.

I really hope they don't do the alien thing. I'd much rather the Hell option, but perhaps they're trying to reach a broad sci-fi market, rather than a horror genre.

Spindle
05-05-2005, 03:55 AM
4) Evil Dead-style stop-motion. :buttrock:

Lol, I'd pay good money to see that. maybe his hand will get possesed and he'll spend half the movie not only blowing up demons, but also defending himself from an evil hand (which now has the ability to make wierd hissing sounds) ....we can only hope.
could happen :shrug:

Wouldn't it be more in line with the game to use Nine Inch Nails?:D

I would so love a movie where the whole soundtrack was by Trent Reznor, just sitting back with my eyes closed listening to the screams and NIN would be good enough on its own :D

Pyke
05-05-2005, 07:42 AM
Are you guys forgetting the ONE thing that a doom movie NEEDS?

THE BBBBBBBBBB (echo echo echo) FFFFFFFFFF (echo echo echo) GGGGGGGGGG!!!

Icarus
05-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Are you guys forgetting the ONE thing that a doom movie NEEDS?

THE BBBBBBBBBB (echo echo echo) FFFFFFFFFF (echo echo echo) GGGGGGGGGG!!!

true... that'd be good thrills for cheap,

but also, it needs

"The Rock, The Official Eyebrow Counter- How many can you spot!"

i bet it'll pass 100 :D

TyR

Swizzle
05-05-2005, 04:15 PM
THE BBBBBBBBBB (echo echo echo) FFFFFFFFFF (echo echo echo) GGGGGGGGGG!!!Heh heh. In the final scene of the movie and the hero is facing off against Satan in the bowels of hell, the hero pulls out the BFG (where was he keeping it? We don't want to know) and says, simply, "Chew on this." You could have guns and explosions and demons along with your product placement!

RickStefani
05-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I have to say that at least they are making it R. Another PG-13 like AVP would be BS. Hopefully a secret lab like the game but it would not be a bad thing to have it on a planet that you could breath outside. I hope it is a worm hole to hell. Yes they nead the BFG, Pulse rifles, gatling gun and all the toys along with the power armor or at the minimum a good set of body armor.

chow-mein
05-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Isn't Stan Winston Studio slated to do the creature designs? What I am hearing is that the monsters will not be demons, but people mutated by some type of alien virus into creatures "similar" to the demons in Doom 3.

Boone
05-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Nine-Inch nails is for Quake - Doom is more like Ennio Moriconne...listen to the music for "Phobos' Analomaly" (DoomEpisode 1: Map 9) - it sums up Doom in a note! :buttrock:

BFG? Yeah - BABY! ( Yuri - Dirty Pair Flash Mission 2: Act One :love: )

This film MUST have an 18 cert...MY WORD IS LAW, DAMMIT! :twisted:

Don Kayote
05-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I'd watch it if the marines have conflicting multiple personallities and combust with bloody gore for no apparent reason.

That will keep the audience on their toes.

Boone
05-05-2005, 07:40 PM
I have the lovely warm feeling that this is the first game-to-movie production that will benefit from "its not film - its nothing more than watching someone playing a videogame!".

RickStefani
05-06-2005, 03:01 AM
I have the lovely warm feeling that this is the first game-to-movie production that will benefit from "its not film - its nothing more than watching someone playing a videogame!".

I hope so.

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2005, 03:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.