PDA

View Full Version : render farm?

andrewjohn81
05-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I noticed, when installing that there is an "install rendering engine only" function. Do you have to purchase an additional license for each computer that you want to do that on, or can you install in on a couple other computers.

Has anyone here done that before, and does it work good?

I'm use to using backburner, for 3dsmax...and imagine it beeing similar, but I'm not sure. We've been doing some animations that run closer to 5minutes, and once you run a bunch of effects, layers, alphas, masks, more effects, and vector graphics it can take quite a while to render.
We have two computers each, so I would at least like to be able to set up two computers to render my after effects stuff.

I was just wondering if there was some advice any of you experts had to give.
Oh, this is a PC environment here.

andrewjohn81
05-03-2005, 06:54 PM
ok. I seem to have figured it out, but it's not as I had hoped. (I couldn't get the help file to work before, which is why I asked)

I hit collect to initialize the render. It copies every image that it needs to render. That's really dumb though, because it's copying it from an already shared drive, to simply another folder on the same shared drive. Why in the world is it copying all the images. That takes forever, and it basically has to do it twice because it has to open it for each frame from that computer anyway.

Is there a way to just use the current location of the files?

andrewjohn81
05-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Got it!
Well, no one posted, but at least this may help someone in the future.

In the watch folder command, on the computer that is submitting the render, there is a dropdown at the top.
It says, Collect Source Files. In the help file it says that you have to do that. Well, the wording is strange, but it makes it sound like you have to collect the files.
Select None (project only) and it will only copy the project.

Of course, this only works if you are working from a shared drive, and rendering to a shared drive. Man does that make life easier though...if you have at least one extra computer at your disposal. You hit render, then just keep on working as if you didn't do anything. Wait for your little ding, then view your wonderful render.

andrewjohn81
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
That worked wonderfully.

The only problem is, if it gets interrupted it doesn't resume. You have to completely resubmit the entire job again.

Does anyone know a fix for that?

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.