PDA

View Full Version : Animating Effects

Sean121
05-03-2005, 05:34 PM
I have a .tga sequence (that I made it 3dsMax) of a hover car flying through real footage. I would like to animate the directional blur effect so the direction of the blur changes with the cars direction.

Is this possilble in After Effects 6.5?

Mylenium
05-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Surely it is, but you should seriously consider other methods such as a MAX internal Vector Blur (dunno about MAX, but every decent 3D prog these days has one) or rendering out the motion buffer (there's a free Mental Ray shader on the web, maybe even a native MAX filter/ buffer saver exists for that) and use ReelSmart Motionblur to create your exaggerated trail effect.

Mylenium

Sean121
05-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks Mylenium,

I've never heard of an internal vector blur. I know Mental Ray's motion blur is rediculously slow. It takes 19 minutes to render a frame with blur and 44 seconds without. Thats why I wanted to try it in After Effects. I'm going to rerender this for my reel but have to finish it tonight for a presentation tomorrow! :eek:

berniebernie
05-04-2005, 10:12 AM
the thing is 3d blur takes into account the object's position, speed, rotation, distance from camera, camera shutter speed and much more that I do not know of...

AE's blur is just a pixel-based blur, it takes a frame, takes the next and interpolates from that. If you tweak the whole lot almost frame by frame I'm sure you could do something convincing, but it's never going to be as good as a 3d rendered motion blur.

Then again, i'm not working for pixar :wise:

Sean121
05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
mlkdesign,

I see how 3D motion blur would be more precise. I think I'll use that in the final production.

So how can I change the direction of the blur at different parts of a .tga sequence in AE 6.5? If I choose Effects/Direction blur, it affects the whole sequence.

Mylenium
05-04-2005, 11:39 AM
You need to isolate them using masks, keying or by rendering separate passes in the first place. I know that this isn't what you wanna hear, but there are no easy solutions to your immediate problem and you're still left hanging in mid-air.

Mylenium

Sean121
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi Mylenium,

I've rendered the car sequence as a seperate pass from the footage. I'm not sure if thats what you meant, I'm an AE n00b:shrug: Here's a composite pic of the car pass with background footage,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/sean11/A.jpg

I only want to animate the Direction blur for the car pass.

berniebernie
05-04-2005, 02:10 PM
If you rendered the car on a seperate pass, then all you need to do is import that pass, put it on top of your background layer, and then choose the directional blur effect (but not on the background layer)

Just think of AE as being a Photoshop with a time line !

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2005, 02:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.