PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Polygon Objects

BUZZFX
05-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Please see attached .jpg

I want to connect the red pond object to the blue landscape. I tried functions > "connect" but when I selected a point and moved it the two objects weren't joined. Is there a trick to this or should I be using another tool?

Thanks
Paint Guy

OberonX
05-03-2005, 06:58 PM
You'll need to run "Optimize" on your connected mesh in order to collapse the duplicated points (where the two pieces touch) into one.

BUZZFX
05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
OberonX,

Here's what I did:

Step 1
Created 2 polygon planes

Step 2
Selected both polygon planes and chose (Functions > Connect)

Step 3
Using the Polygon tool I selected both planes in the "connected" layer and then chose (Functions > Optimize)
Then I selected a point (see Step 3) and was able to move it.

Please tell me why I can't easily join two planes?

Erik Heyninck
05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
In a mesh all polys are connected with points. What you try is not possible.

Because optimize in default settings will create one point out of two when these points have the same coords. So you will have to move points untill they are on the same place as points on the other part and then run optimize.

Or, if you use 9, you can add points to create n-gons (with the fifth point on the same place as the corresponding one on the other poly) out of your quads and optimize these.

laiels
05-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Because there were no points there to connect. The optimize command will weld points together within a specified tolerance level. Any points within that tolerance level are welded together. You don't have any points within your tolerance level to "optimize" together. The solution to this is to either increase your tolerance level (but with the points you have in your object, that will alter the shape of your mesh, which you probably don't want), or use the knife tool and make knife cuts where the point on 1 plane meets the other plane. And then run the optimize command.

laiels
05-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Here is what I am talking about.

You already have this object
http://img39.echo.cx/img39/3029/19qs.jpg

Make some knife cuts to get this
http://img39.echo.cx/img39/2375/28ve1.jpg

Now run optimize.

BUZZFX
05-04-2005, 04:17 PM
I tried using weld and bridge but this doesn't seem to work if the points are touching. If the points were not touching, then using the Connect & Optimize Method worked, but in my case where the points are in the same position it doesn't work so far.

Last night I spent 1.5 hrs moving points of the two objects so they were touching.

I then used (functions > Connect) and then (functions > Optimize) on the connected layer. I still have the same results!

If you look at the circled area in red when I move the point down the hole appears so the two are not connected. This is frustrating to say the least!

I find it hard to believe joining two objects in C4D can be this difficult! Is there a simple way to do this? :banghead:

wuensch
05-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I am not sure if i understand your problem, but I think you should take alook at the stitch & sew function: simply select the loops (with loop slection & stitch em--

Olli

Erik Heyninck
05-04-2005, 05:03 PM
What looks to be simple is internally quite complicated.

First of all, when you moved the points, did you do it manually or did you use the structure manager to reset the coords? If you dragged them, you may want to try and raise the tolerance value of the optimize command as most probably your points are not at exactly the same spot. Tolerance is set default to 0.01m, 1 hundredth of a unit. Manual moving is usually not exact enough.

As an encore, in case you'll be using hypernurbs, you should get rid of the triangles by ading some points. see yellow dots. That way, you get quads which have no difficulties in HN.

wuensch
05-04-2005, 05:43 PM
if you want to move em manually, activate 3D-snap and activate the points option (only) to make them snap to the exact points.

You can also weld every sindle point group manually-- or use stitch&sew :scream:

Olli

OberonX
05-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Remember to check that all of the points in question are selected (while in Points mode); optimize only works on the selected points, so if you only have the last one you moved selected, optimize won't do anything.

Alternatively, deselect all points and then run optimize, which will weld all points in the entire model which are within the set tolerance....

BUZZFX
05-04-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm starting to feel really stupid, but I can't get this to work. I created 2 simple polygon planes as a test and butted them up against each other so the points are touching. I can't seem to select both points though only one at a time.

In Illustrator all you do is drag the selection tool over the objects or points you want to select. Is there a similar tool in C4D?

laiels
05-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Ok you should probably start reading the manual as these are some basic things.:)

First of all, don't select any points. If you don't select any points, then optimize will run on every single point. If you want just those 2 points in question, then one of them is probably hidden out of view. Go to the attributes manager of your live selection tool and uncheck "visible elements only" box. NOw when you move your mouse over the screen, any points within the mouse will be selected whether or not they are visible.

OberonX
05-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Or use one of the selection tools (loop, rectangular, polygon, etc.) to select all of the points in the area...

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2005, 10:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.