PDA

View Full Version : Nikon NEF(RAW) question...

jrock7
10-07-2002, 10:21 AM
I have a question regarding nikon image file format..
I'm using Nikon D1X camera to capture images and sequences of images using NEF file format - described as RAW file format but with NEF extension.. Is it possible to read that file format with Digital Fusion?
Digital Fusion as a standard has the ability to read RAW file format, but while opening the NEF file - does not work... (even after changing the extension to RAW) Is there any NEF image converter to RAW format ?

Jayk2k
10-08-2002, 08:24 PM
I am not 100% familiar with the camera you speak of, but from my limited knowledge of digital cameras I'll try to explain:

The raw format in Digital Fusion is native to Digital Fusion. ie: It stores all image channels, and propriatary information to keep track of whether or not an image is a proxy, full rez, etc.

Even though they are both RAW format, The RAW format from your camera will be native to itself. Thus it can not be loaded into DF. There should be a conversion application that came with your camera in order to convert these to a more standard interchange format, such as jpg.

The final issue with digital cameras, is that most of them only have 1/3 color resolution, in that the CCD or sensor has an array or honeycomb of detectors. They alternate from rgb, or cym depending on manufacturer, but as they alternate, the blue (for instance) information can only be detected by every 3rd sensor. (i hope this makes sense) Jpg format is the standard for digital cameras because it simulates this in software by compressing the color information to 1/2 rez etc. Thus no information is really lost from the camera if using the appropriate software.

jrock7
10-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Thank You for the info.
By the way I just wonder if there's a suitable converter from Nikon RAW file format to a DF own RAW format, or to the format that is holding all the precious information stored in 12-bit bitmaps like RAW for example. I know that Nikon has a program that converts RAW into 12-bit TIFF but the size of the TIFF doesn't look impressive... (2-3 times bigger than RAW).....

Jayk2k
10-09-2002, 06:18 PM
This is because the RAW Nikon format has only 1/3 the color information... When it get's saved to TIFF it has to interpolate the additional pixels.

This is what i would expect as normal behaviour. Like I said, a Digital Camera has a color mask over each of the sensors in the array or honeycomb. So each sensor can only detect one of the 3 colors, and thus only saves 1/3 the information. When this is converted to TIFF, it interpolates each of these color masks into a full RGB image.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.