PDA

View Full Version : Not CG!!! (gasp!) - Unplugged Art

MKStudios
05-03-2005, 09:17 AM
So the power is out, you dropped your laptop in the tub, the dog ate your tablet pen.

What is your favorite traditional art medium?

Okay - I'll start. I tend to favor acrylic. I like it's durability and drying time to do glazes and layers of colors.

runner up: Super sculpey.

The next challenge: oil. I've screwed around enough with it in the past to make some really big messes but have a new project to see what I can do now.

Anybody else got some unplugged favorites?

ozhaver
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Graphite
Ink
Colored Pencils
Patels
Watercolors
Acrylics
Oils

It's all good. :cool:

jmBoekestein
05-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Honestly, how can you guys even live without pluggable devices. This makes no sense! Have you gone mad?!!

but, I've used acrylics, and other than that I'd use school assignments as a sketch pad accompanied with a traditional BIC ballpoint pen. Than I'd scan the lot and start over in the computer. :)

offbeatworlds
05-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Hmm...that's a tough one.

I tend to like colored pencils the most, though I haven't used them for a while.
I also really like oils and watercolors.
Actually, acrylics rate pretty low on my scale, they dry too fast.

But my most favorite medium in traditional art is most definitely and without a doubt, pencil and paper. I draw on that at night before I shut my light off to go to sleep.

Maidith
05-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Watercolors. My absolute favorite after CG.

But I also like colored pencils, my pen, acrylics and oils.

Lomax
05-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Lately I've been dabbling more and more with traditional, pencil-and-paper animation. The sad thing about that is now I'm trying to do it digitally...

Basically, I'm screwed if the power goes out :p

jebas
05-03-2005, 03:12 PM
For traditional medias, I tend to use pencil and colored pencil. I use to use oils, but gave it up a while back. I have to rather intelligent children under the age of three, and I'm trying to make sure that they can't reach anything poisonous.

However, some untraditional, non-electronic media include food (I cook and every other year I make ginger bread houses), and sound (I'm the foley artist {sound effects engineer} for a local radio theater group {www.artc.org (http://www.artc.org)}) I could also mention I play the piano, but I play that so badly, it cannot really be called art.

Zack
05-03-2005, 03:19 PM
The weird thing is, I really love regular, cheapo disposable pens. They're nice and lightweight, have lots of size control, and have varying opacity. They're really great for shading, and you don't need to be crosshatching.

Zack

John Keates
05-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Oil paint.

More precisely, old holland oils (mostly) on a fine linen sized with rabbit skin glue and primed with titanium mixed with lead white.

Plus a whole load of brushes.

I think that peoples experience of painting with oils is marred by the fact that they don't use good equipment or understand the basic principles. Once you have those, it is pretty cool stuff. I recently started painting again and it was lovely. Sure, there are things that are slower but there are also things that are faster too.

Clanger
05-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I was heavily into Water Colour but now I love oils.

RobertoOrtiz
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
EBONY Pencils, Pen and Ink , Prismacolor and I used to paint in acrylics.

-R

Elaeria
05-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I absolutely love oils! Lately though, I've been trying to get myself sketching more and more each day, so my pencil and sketchbook are most favoured right now. If I'm stumped, I switch to colour and it pushes my sketches along.

I should really think about painting in oils again. I love they way they work and it's been so long *sigh*
~Ela~

ashakarc
05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Ink, Pencil, Oil with a knife and 'body parts' on paper, pastel and chalk, and paper tape. I hate to work with watercolor as it is too gentle for my taste, but I love good watercolor work. I will try Acrylic next week, healthier than oil.

NOOB!
05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
oils are great,it just preserving em and washing out brushes with oil on em that annoys me.

cha0t1c1
05-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm an old fan of charcoal and pencil, I like colours but they're not as dramatic as the drastic contrast between pencil and white paper, it's too emotional :cry:

Lunatique
05-04-2005, 02:49 AM
My number 1 love will always be oils. It's the hardest medium to master in art, that's why it is also the most revered.

virgo1
05-04-2005, 03:08 AM
Fibers is one of my loves. And oh what a tangeled web weave me. Precious metal clay is really neat, too. Jewelry I've made with it looks cast but isn't.

I've tried lapidary too. Now that's a real grind. haha. I love cutting freeform stones, taking cues from the stone.

Gord-MacDonald
05-04-2005, 04:47 AM
1) graphite/kneaded eraser/cotton cloth/paper stubs - on very good quality medium grain paper
2) oil painting - I gotta have a studio for this one
3) gauche on inexpensive paper - but good sable brushes

Gord

erilaz
05-04-2005, 04:52 AM
Good old pencils and ink. Wanna create art? Pick up a biro! :D

Aloriael
05-04-2005, 08:17 AM
I thought watercolours are harder to master... because you only really get one go at making that mark to look right...and you have to worry about the paper going funny even after you stretch it and so on.

It's hard to pick a fav but oils wins for colour and correcting a bad stroke. They blend so nicely too.

MKStudios
05-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Yeah - I've never had very much luck at getting watercolor to come out well at all.

Then I look at something like Paul Bonner's art :banghead:

womanonfire
05-04-2005, 11:05 AM
funny, i am without my main computer this week and i was just feeling so lost and confused :scream:
so yeah this week i will going back to my first love, brushes and ink!
but i'm also with Zack on the coolness of drawing with disposable ink pens.

DrFx
05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
My number 1 love will always be oils. It's the hardest medium to master in art, that's why it is also the most revered.

IMHO it's watercolour (yes, I've tried both extensively! Watercolour is extremely uncontrollable and I haven't yet used a CG tool that does it justice. Of course, you can not achieve the same effects (opacity, saturation, etc.) as oil, but the way it gains a life of it's own is magical! Give me a watercolour Turner or a Constable over an oil Picasso or Dali anytime!
I love grainy crayon and pastels (Degas), too!

sonicstrawbery
05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I'd love to learn Oil tecniques...i think i'm gonna make some course next year...how to work in layers, mixtures etc...

I usually use

Charcoal + Bread + Piece of cotton cloth
Pencil + Pen/Felt-tip
Water colors (it's cool for rapid graphical stuff...not accurate painting)
Pastels

And i make more things with that than wiht my tablet :)

eparts
05-04-2005, 12:07 PM
would start pencilsketching until my computer gets back :P

other than that, my favs are inking.

Im so embarresed about not tryed oil painting. I should do that right away.. some people say i paint like oil painting digital.. hehe. I guess I dont have the patience to sit and wait for it to dry..

offense2theworld
05-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I've never actually used any wet media before, I'm more of a charcoal and pencil type of guy, I occationally venture into the land of conte crayons and oil pastels but not often. As for my favorite I would have to go with vine charcoal, it's such a loose expressive medium you can get very emotional pieces expecially on a colored paper.

arkinet
05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
ranking my favorites(not necessarily mean im good at it)

1. watercolor
2. oil
3. prismacolor

thats besides the good ol graphite, of course.:)

virgo1
05-05-2005, 02:22 AM
I like using prismacolors when planning a warp. I ordered silk yarn today for wearable art that'll really be "software".

Ya gotta be warped to weave.:)

jmBoekestein
05-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Lol! Virgo's:curious:

Per-Anders
05-05-2005, 02:45 AM
oils, they're the most fun. i gotta disagree with lunatique though, i think that watercolors are in fact much harder to master! with oils you also have the pleasure of craftsmanship in constructing your own stretchers, sizing the canvas, sketching the layout, scumbling in the rough areas, working things up...

after that i'm more into broader messier tools, chalk & charcoal rather than pencil etc.

Glenfx
05-05-2005, 06:11 AM
I LOVE to Draw in paper...i simply cant draw with the Wacom XD. Though if i have no computer and i must use colors, then i prefer the Airbrush.

InterFacer
05-06-2005, 04:20 AM
I've had rather attrocious outcomes with acrylics, never tried oils and had moderate success with watercolor. Still a fan of black and white though, something with a bit more control than i've been able to find with paints...so for me its:

Charcoal
Grahpite (the top two switch)
Ink! Either ballpoint pen or india ink
Color Pencil
Marker (not good at them, but fun)
Oil Pastel

I'll learn to paint some day...

nineinchneil
05-06-2005, 06:22 PM
i'm a HUGE fan of black ball point pen on my moleskine pads. it's pretty raw looking! :thumbsup:

Dr. Ira Kane
05-06-2005, 06:32 PM
- pencils
- tempera
- oils (they dry very long though and sometimes i'm very impatient :))
- my blood on a sharpened stick -> LOL a joke ;)

danniesanchez
05-06-2005, 08:31 PM
in class i do some decent doodles in pen. But at home i likey Ebony pencil, prisma color pencils, chavant clay, i just got working with oils and it loads better for me then acrylics.

That's about it. The computer would be my best. :)

noen
05-06-2005, 10:42 PM
This "What is your favorite..." stuff is so lame

For those of you who have children, quick! Which one's your favorite?

dmonk
05-06-2005, 11:34 PM
An orange #2 pencil and a fine tipped red ink pen.

XanderFX
05-07-2005, 12:07 AM
This "What is your favorite..." stuff is so lame

For those of you who have children, quick! Which one's your favorite?

My son ;)

Anyways as far as the thread is concerned.

col erase (red or blue)
ballpoint pen
marker and micron
or all of the above combined

CCDrkNrgy
05-07-2005, 12:37 AM
So the power is out, you dropped your laptop in the tub, the dog ate your tablet pen.

What is your favorite traditional art medium?

Okay - I'll start. I tend to favor acrylic. I like it's durability and drying time to do glazes and layers of colors.

runner up: Super sculpey.

The next challenge: oil. I've screwed around enough with it in the past to make some really big messes but have a new project to see what I can do now.

Anybody else got some unplugged favorites?

Charcoal pencils, lead pencils, rollerball pens and acrylic. Working on using oil paints, but I hate the fact it dries so slowly. Acrylic dries too quickly, though. Maybe someday someone will create a happy middle... a "just right".

MKStudios
05-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Acrylic dries too quickly, though. Maybe someday someone will create a happy middle... a "just right".

Don't you mean happy medium? Har har! :scream:

You may want to check out Golden's Acrylic Glazing Liquid. (http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/28/) I've used it a little and it slows down the drying time enough to blend it like oil.

TheCleaner
05-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Oils for large work, this setup for example (5 hours into my art exam 2 weeks ago)...

http://img27.echo.cx/img27/7100/dscf00455ot.th.jpg (http://img27.echo.cx/img27/7100/dscf00455ot.jpg)

But i only do that at college/in an art studio... at home its acrylic or watercouor, though to be honest, its mostly sketching with mechanical pencil/ball point pen, or the occasional pen and ink

by the way, this is that painting finished...

http://img212.echo.cx/img212/439/atthefinish8vi.th.jpg (http://img212.echo.cx/img212/439/atthefinish8vi.jpg)

olijosman
05-11-2005, 08:21 AM
My favorite "traditional medium"? Watercolor! :) I have used others like oils, acrylic ,airbrush... but watercolors is my favourite, indeed

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2005, 08:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.