PDA

View Full Version : Matching document size to print size

-Vormav-
05-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Okay, I'm completely stumped, so maybe someone can help me on this one.
I finished designing some very simple CD labels in Illustrator earlier, with the intent to print them out onto label sheets. I based the designs off of the templates that were provided on the CD that came with the set of labels. So, as long as everything lines up, all is well.
And there lies the problem; the don't line up. Not even close. And it's not a printer issue. They're not even lining up in the print preview. Thinking it might just be a problem with Illustrator, I brought my files over to Photoshop to try from there. Wroung. Same exact problem.

For a better explanation of the problem, I've formatted the label pages at 8.5"x11" (letter size) at 300dpi. The margins of the labels are a part of these 3300x2550 pages. With that in mind, I set the images to be centered in the prints, with no scaling being done. Afterall, the documents are 8.5x11", and I'm printing to 8.5x11", and all that is going to get cropped out in the printing is the blank margin spaces of my document. However, even just at the print preview, you can immediately see how there's a problem. I've attached two images to show this; one of the document, showing the margins (the rulers are there too, if you want to see the 8.5" and 11" marks yourself) and one of the print preview.
The results I'm getting in the print preview simply don't make any sense. It's like Photoshop is automatically cropping the margins out of the document, and then scaling what's left up to letter size. What the hell kind of sense does that make? If anything, I'd expect the print to potentially be smaller, because of the margins.
I tried this on a friend's computer as well, and had the same problem. Though while I was on his computer, we also tried loading the file up in Freehand (same settings; 8.5"x11", 300dpi) and everything matched up perfectly.

Am I just completely missing something here or what?

-Vormav-
05-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Okay, so I got around it. I had originally tried saving the file out as different formats (TGA, Tiff, etc.) as well as using other apps (Gimp, for example. Though that only seemed to make things worse). Eventually, I ended up saving the file out as an Adobe PDF. I had the same problem with the print preview in the Adobe Reader, but loading the PDF in Photoshop provided correct prints.
Well, they were still off by a little bit (but hey, close enough, I'm through with it). But that last bit of inaccuracy has more to do with my printer than anything else, I'm sure.

Just a random bug, I'm guessing. Whatever. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2005, 03:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.