PDA

View Full Version : Depth Of Field Generator PRO v1.0 released.

richardrosenman
05-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Depth of Field Generator PRO is the result of six months of research, development and programming collaboration between myself and Martin Vicanek in an effort to produce a Photoshop compatible plugin capable of delivering high quality, sophisticated Depth of Field and Bokeh effects quickly and efficiently as a post process. In its advanced mode, it uses Z-Depth information/maps to produce accurate depth of field generation for final renders, both CGI and/or Photographic. DOF PRO gives you full control over the shape of the aperture, size, orientation, curvature, edge artefact reduction, Depth Map editing and generation, highlight enhancement and much more. For more information, please follow the links below.

http://www.dofpro.com/gallery/dofpro_chessDOF.jpg

For product information please visit:

http://www.dofpro.com (http://www.dofpro.com/)

And for the DEMO, please click:

http://www.dofpro.com/software/dofpro.zip

Best regards,
-Richard

Wiro
05-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Pretty nice stuff. I got some good and speedy results in my tests or at least from what I could see of the preview window. And 30 bucks is great too.
I'd really like to see an animated version of this.

Wiro

Dearmad
05-03-2005, 07:25 AM
If this works anywhere near as well as the documentation says, prepare to receive another customer's money.

demoing now.

Para
05-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Looks very nice although the aperture adjustment possibilities doesn't seem to be as flexible as in for example Evasion3D's xdof (http://www.evasion3d.com/gfx/xdof/lw/diaphragms.html) or as they say on their site, "X-Dof allows to simulate the diaphragms with 3,4,5,6,8,10 or 12 sides, with the option to scale and rotate. Furthermore, it allows for edge smoothing, which absolutely matches the shape of a real aperture, blades of which are not straight but round."

If you don't know what X-Dof is I can assure you that it's not a Photoshop plugin and isn't competing with this tool directly so I'm not trying to turn the masses away from this great product or anything like that. I bring X-Dof's aperture adjustement features up mainly as a feature request :)

Wiro
05-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Haven't tried XDof but DoF Pro could do multifaceted bokeh, angle and I think curvature too (there's a curvature spinner I didn't try)

Wiro

StuManFu
05-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Has anyone got this to work with After Effects? (Couldn't see it on their list of supported software).

richardrosenman
05-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey Para;

Yep, this too supports pentagonal, hexagonal, heptagonal, octagonal and circular apertures with the ability to rotate, size and smooth (curvature) the bokeh, as you mentioned. It also provides a host of additional features for edge artefact reduction and bokeh enhancement, among others. It is a Photoshop plugin so it is meant for single frames although we are looking into animation support for the future releases. Try out the demo if you can as it will give you a pretty accurate example of how it works.

Best regards,
-Richard

Dearmad
05-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Would be nice with animation support...

Also add to your list that it works with Irfenview. Just played around with it in there too.

FloydBishop
05-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Very nice. Could this work with After Effects in it's current state? It seems very nice and powerful, regardless.

Spater
05-03-2005, 04:24 PM
you sir, have just sold another copy.:thumbsup:

Gamoron
05-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Going to give it a go. See if it sells me. Either way I'm interested.

Gamoron
05-03-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm disappointed that I can't zoom out of the preview. Atleast I didn't figure out how so it was hard to judge. It seems faster then Lens Blur. But I can't see how it adds so much more of an improvement. Mind you I'm using a very simple depth map, one made by hand. I'd like to see what a 3D render of mine would look like. I'm interested about whether you port it AE.

vfx
05-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Wouldn't a batch render produce a decent dof effect on an animation

jddog
05-03-2005, 05:40 PM
:blush: it's me or i didn't see if it work on Mac OSX too ?
jdd

Para
05-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Para;

Yep, this too supports pentagonal, hexagonal, heptagonal, octagonal and circular apertures with the ability to rotate, size and smooth (curvature) the bokeh, as you mentioned. It also provides a host of additional features for edge artefact reduction and bokeh enhancement, among others. It is a Photoshop plugin so it is meant for single frames although we are looking into animation support for the future releases. Try out the demo if you can as it will give you a pretty accurate example of how it works.

Best regards,
-Richard

Eeexcellent. :applause:

emptyvoxel
05-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Whoa, nice bokeh!

Richard, did you use this on your "after hours" spot, or was that just a single frame render for the CG examples section?
If yes, did you use PS actions to add the DOF, and if not, is it possible to do so?

Thanks a bunch... looks like a great tool.

~T

rodney71
05-03-2005, 10:56 PM
what would be the major advantages of this plugin over Photoshop CS's built-in Lens Blur?

richardrosenman
05-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Hi Tencedur;

No, this was just a sample test on the Diet Pepsi - I wish I had this plugin ready for that project...I'm not sure if PS actions are possible or not but again, this is primarily intended for single frame use.

Rodney71 - Aside from the fact that our plugin has been created specifically to be used by 3D artists and therefore we have paid very careful attention to naturally occuring DOF and attempted to come as close as possible to such phenomena, we also have a host of additional features, including edge artefact reduction, which CS does not have. When you have a perfectly focused object in front of a heavily defocused object, you are going to get artefacting at the edges - this is inevitable with post process filters. We have options for dealing with such artefacting and effectively reducing, if not completely eliminating them altogether. Try using a Depth Map with high contrast and you'll see what I mean. There's additional powerful features such as highlight color tinting, a highly optimized rendering console, the ability to generate your own gradients on the fly for depth map use, the ability to completely edit your depth maps on the fly (brightness, contrast, gamma, rotation, stretch to fit range, clamp range, scale range, specify a minimum and maximum range value, display the depth map only, display the focal point depth map only, overlay the focal depth map, etc, etc....there are many features which Depth of Field Generator has that CS doesn't, but most important of all, it produces extremely accurate results.

DangerAhead
05-04-2005, 01:30 AM
1. pretty cool.

2. need it for AfterEffects - will buy that one.

-Vormav-
05-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Seems pretty nice. You could almost have this running in compositing apps just off of plugin emulation if you added an option to use a different layer as the depth map, instead of having to specify a specific bitmap file (is this .bmp only, btw?).

Zendorf
05-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Very impressive work, and at a very nice price! I eagerly await an AE version, as this looks to blow away what is possible in Lenscare. Can't wait :thumbsup:

emptyvoxel
05-04-2005, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the info Richard! I'll definitely be trying it out.

~T

akaiwa
05-04-2005, 05:51 AM
I'd like to also thrown in a vote for this plugin w/ AfterEffects. I'd love to be able to do such wonderful DOF without having to render it out and leave no room for tweaking.

And I'd like to say THANK YOU for pricing this so low. I'll definitely buy it within the next few days. I'm glad to see some people taking time to create such wonderful plugins that a student (like me) can afford (Comet Muscle system, and now this).

:thumbsup:

basilisk
05-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I will buy a Mac version for After Effects - even for an extra $10!

rodney71
05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the description/comparison, Richard. the only other curiousity I have is whether it is any quicker than the Photoshop CS lens blur. some images could have me waiting a long time to render the blur.

richardrosenman
05-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Hi guys;

Depth Of Field Generator PRO v1.1 is now available. It features fully controlled zooming in and out of the preview window making entire image previews possible at significantly faster speeds.

http://www.richardrosenman.com/dofpro.htm

Rodney, I have not compared speeds to PS however this is completely dependent on how much defocusing you introduce.

Best regards,

-Richard

wasted weasel
05-13-2005, 04:15 PM
This is very cool Richard, it seems very accurate too.
You'll make tons of $$$ if you can get it ready for AE and Combustion.
Good job.
Tom

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2005, 04:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.