PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Ibele - Circus Auditions - High Diving

ivanisavich
05-03-2005, 03:54 AM
Spot Reserved!

SheepFactory
05-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Hey Tyson , its been 24 hours since I posted the session , where is your finished anim? :)

Remi
05-03-2005, 05:57 PM
He's done...he just doesn't want to make the rest of us look bad.:p Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this one Tyson!!!:) :buttrock:

vitorvilela
05-04-2005, 05:18 AM
Hahah!!

Yeah you will have a serious pressure now sparrow boy :D

I want to see it finished too!!

Keep rocking

C-Ya
Vitor Vilela

franklyn
05-05-2005, 11:04 AM
hey tyson im really looking forward to this one

Slurry
05-05-2005, 02:16 PM
If you are using a pre-existing rig and don't have to model, rig and texture...you should get at least 2 animations a day done! I expect no less than 60 entries from you young man.

Art

ivanisavich
05-06-2005, 06:53 PM
YAY FOR MSPAINT STORYBOARDS!

Sorry for the following eyesore, but I don't have a scanner, a wacom, or any patience when it comes to drawing with a computer mouse. So, since they're in the requirements, here are my glorious thumbnails!

(Pretty self-explanatory)

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Diving/diving_thumbs.jpg

ivanisavich
05-06-2005, 06:55 PM
Animation update!

Here's what I've got so far. Took about 2.5 hours to get to this point.

Diving1 (950k, quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Diving/diving1.mov)

Please note that the fingers have not yet been animated.

Slurry
05-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Tyson,

That's looking awesome man! I love the glib, skipping bounce he does on the spring board. My only suggestion is making him push off more with his legs as he's going up the ladder.
Looking very nice though, great start!

Art

ivanisavich
05-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Good call Art, I'll fix that up next time I get a chance to work on it :)

Also...I'm going to tone down the swining of his arms a little when he first starts to bounce along the board....right now his arms start really flailing right away, and there's not a lot of buildup. You'll see what I mean when I make my next post :D

nomadicrain
05-06-2005, 09:09 PM
This looks pretty cool and I like where you are going with this but when he is climbing the ladder he moves very quickly...I have never seen anyone climb a ladder that fast. Just my 2c but I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

ivanisavich
05-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Update!

No finger, eye or face animation yet (amoung other things)...and still lots of things to tweak....but here's what it looks like now:

Diving2 (1.8mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Diving/diving2.mov)

Although this shot is just about done, I've still got to animate him hitting the ground etc, so it's far from done :)

SheepFactory
05-09-2005, 12:11 AM
nice start but no , nowhere near done ;)

-right now he has no weight when he is going up the ladder it is as if he is just going up on a escalator. It might help to show weight if you have him push himself up with the arms and legs instead of just going up on a even speed while just putting the arms and feet on ladders like it is right now. Especially that last going up to the board from the ladder part needs some anticipation , possibly a slow down at the end pull down for anticipation and push up.

-once he gets on top he is a bit too all over the place , what is the characters motivation when he is up there? is he scared of heights? is he excited that the crowd is watching , is he scared because this is his first audition and the important people are watching. right now i am not getting any motive when he is up there. Also the arm poses are a bit too extreme right now , and i am not quite sure why he would be jumping like a monkey when on top of the board. it is as if he is trying to break it.

So at this point you should be thinking of how to add character to the character imo , otherwise good timing.

hope this helps ,
-Ali

Andini
05-09-2005, 02:59 AM
This reminds me a lot of your balloon animation. Very similar actions.

MonteCristo
05-09-2005, 10:56 AM
invan for me you are the faster animator in the world :D
i have seen the animation in your site, and the character's go fast fast fast :D
you have just finish the animation, i have more to learn :(

ivanisavich
05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Ok...after mucho thinking, I'm going to re-do the intro part completely.

As opposed to having him all "hippity hoppity" as he climbs up and proceeds to stand on the edge of the board, I'm going to have him all slow and shaky....so that the breaking of the diving board is more frightening for him.

Also, I've tightened up the arm-spinning (so that his arms don't stretch out so far anymore) when he's frantically trying to get his balance.

Finally, I think I'm going to give him some swimming trunks and maybe a snorkel and diving mask or something....to illustrate that this guy really doesn't know what he's doing. But I'll only add that once I'm done with the rest of the animation.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Keep em comin.

Btw...Andini: I agree that there are some similar areas right now :)...but that'll change when I switch up the intro. Right now the hold on the end of the board is very similar to the hold when he's looking at the balloon etc, but that'll all be different with my next update. :D

marktsang
05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
hi tyson,
reallly like your anim so far - i only entered the session after being inspired by your entry,
any progress there?

mark

ivanisavich
05-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Hey Mark...thanks for checkin my thread ;)

I've been working on it on-and-off for the past few days...but haven't updated it enough to post anything yet.

Look for a new update in a few more days though :D

Paul F Diaz
05-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Tyson,

Looking forward to seening your stuff man. I think you made a great choice in starting over and now are working more toward instilling more personality into your character. Thats very admirable and it will make you an even better character animator. Good luck man:thumbsup:

ivanisavich
05-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Hey all,

Ok...an update...although not a very massive one...I've been working on several other ongoing projects so this has moved down on the priority list at the moment (although I will definitely finish it before the contest is over....since I was the one whining for another contest in the first place ;))

I haven't fine-tuned anything in the beginning part yet...the hands aren't animated etc...but this shows you the direction in which I'm taking it now.

Btw...I'm going to have a group of other divers lined up the ladder, waiting for their turn to jump. As the main character slowly approached the edge, the closest other competitor to the top is going to get impatience and STOMP on the diving board (that is why the main character turns around gets frantic)....that is the point when the main guy will lose his balance.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep the flailing arms-->fall....I might mix it up with something less exaggerated or whatever. We'll see...

Diving3 (1.2mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Diving/diving3.mov)

ivanisavich
05-30-2005, 02:07 AM
Hey everyone...here's another update.

2 characters on the right have been added, but not yet animated. Basically, they'll appear to be very impatient, and the top one will punch the diving board at the height of his impatience (which is what causes it to break).

I think I'm also going to animate the main character hitting the ground after his fall...so that's what I've still gotta do next once I animate the 2 other characters at the top of the ladder.

Anyways....

Diving4 (1.5mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Diving/diving4.mov)

Slurry
05-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey Tyson,

That looks awesome man. I love the hand-held camera. Very nice touch to make the scene come alive.
I like this scenario much better than your original idea. I can't wait to see this one finished. It's gonna rock.
How did you do the shorts? It looks really good. I'd love to learn how to do cloth so if you can spare a moment to talk about how you did it - I'd appreciate it.

Art

ivanisavich
05-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks Art,

The cloth sim was relative easy. It was done using reactor cloth and rigid bodies.

Basically, I made a real simple pair of shorts...and "put them on" the main character (ie...modelled them over his legs and abdomen). Then, I attached the "waistband" of the shorts to his lowest spine bone (using reactor cloth's "attach to rigid body" function)...and then ran the simulation.

Right now I think they're still a little too jello-y, but a bit more tweaking and I'll be happy with them I'm sure :)

marktsang
05-30-2005, 04:40 PM
hi tyson,
i think the "jello" cloth kind of suits the performance - i think it looks good
nice work
mark

Slurry
05-30-2005, 05:31 PM
You're using Max right? I don't have cloth options in Maya Complete...too poor to get Unlimited.

:sad:

Oh well...

Anyway, great looking anim.

Art

ivanisavich
06-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Ok...FINAL ANIMATION! :D

I'm very happy with how it turned out. Thanks for all your critiques and suggestions!

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Diving/ivan_diving.jpg

High Diving (2.6mb, Quicktime) (http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Diving/ivan_diving.mov)

Slurry
06-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Great job Tyson. It looks fantastic. Man, you're probably tired of hearing this but I can't believe you're only 18. World's your oyster man. :thumbsup:

Art

ivanisavich
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks Art. I really appreciate the feedback you've given me throughout the entirety of this thread :)

rsalonen
06-02-2005, 08:48 PM
This is totaly awsome Tyson. I dont find much to crit.

I checked through your site aswell, you got some great stuff there too. You gonna go far man :) keep it up!

mttjss
06-03-2005, 12:58 PM
ivanisavich - nice finish! has a little realistic mixed with cartoonish animation. Love the facial expressions. nicely done.:bounce:

Purgpow
06-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey Tyson What Software do you use? and what Cloth Sim's did you you use for the Shorts?

ivanisavich
06-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi purgpow,

3dsmax 7, with reactor :D

Aenvil
06-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Excellent work Tyson.

I noticed that your animation is 30 FPS.

Only reason why I noticed this was because when I exported my movie file from premiere, it exported my 300 frames to 240, and made my animation look too fast. I have my maya setting at 24fps. So my animation turned out to be 300 frames, but plays only 10 secs in quicktime even though I exported at 24fps. Does quicktime only play at 30 fps.

24fps x 12.5 secs = 300 frames.

Need some help with this.

ivanisavich
06-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Hi Aenvil,

Actually....I just rendered my animation right out at 30fps from 3dsmax, and then re-rendered at 30fps from Premiere.

As for a 24fps setup...I think what's happening is that since you're rendering out from your 3d app at 24fps, and then re-rendering at 24fps from your editing app, your editing app is thinking that it's actually receiving a sequence that's at 30fps (when it's only 24)...so its dropping frames from your original 24fps sequence to meet its 24fps quota.

I'd recommend rendering from your 3d app at 30fps, and then rendering from your editing app at 24fps.

Btw...

Sheepfactory......I realize the "rules" say it should be at 24fps...but I'm assuming you only added that because a lot of people suggest 24fps to squeeze more frames/time into their animation (so you bypassed all the questions concerning framerate). But since my framecount at 30fps is still far below the limit (265)...is it ok if I keep mine at 30? Or should I re-export at 24?

SheepFactory
06-05-2005, 05:52 AM
excellent job tyson , you can keep it 30.

one little thing , the second guy down the ladder dont seem to care that a whole board is falling on his fingers , i'd put a small reaction there so he lifts his hands before the board bangs and puts em back on.

ivanisavich
06-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Ok cool.

Thanks for the critique Sheep. I'll see if I can't re-work that before the deadline.

Speaking of which....hehe...the deadline is over right? (June 2)?

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2005, 05:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.