PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker's Could Become Trilogy

kilikili
05-03-2005, 04:27 AM
What they said:

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy could be turned into a movie trilogy, the film's executive producer has told a newspaper. The film is now on release in the UK - 26 years after Douglas Adams' original radio series was made.

He followed it up with a set of books, which he described as a trilogy in four, later five, parts.

Robbie Stamp told the Financial Times: "There are more books in the series and there could be a really good trilogy."

The option was being considered by film giant Disney, which has made the new movie, the newspaper said.

Robert Mitchell of Disney-owned Buena Vista International (UK) later told the BBC News website that sequels were a possibility given the wealth of source material, although no decision had yet been made."

More >>> (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4491259.stm)

-Kilikili

Swizzle
05-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Five Movies, one Trilogy. Yup.

flawedprefect
05-03-2005, 04:54 AM
Contrary to bad reviews... I actually liked this film! I do believed it lacked the chance to tie up loose ends, so perhaps a trilogy will see certain plot lines otherwise forgotten in this film, be picked up again, and concluded.

Clanger
05-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Well, I hope so. I loved the film. Will be seeing it again.
The only concern is Douglas Adams isn't around to oversee the project.

rstratton
05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I liked the movie also I just don't really see how you continue a movie like that...what they blow the earth up two more times...I haven't read the books so I don't know how they would go but would be interesting to see...

Clanger
05-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Please do read the books, there's a ton of things for them to do all very, very funny.

Swizzle
05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
I liked the movie also I just don't really see how you continue a movie like that...what they blow the earth up two more times...I haven't read the books so I don't know how they would go but would be interesting to see...Well, there's a lot more to the books than the Earth blowing up. In the second book, for example, people try to get their hands on the Heart of Gold, Zaphod finds out just how important he is in the grand scheme of things (or so he thinks), a piece of cake is eaten, Arthur and Ford travel in time, and we get to find out just where exactly we came from.

Personally, I like the second book even better than the first.

I haven't see the movie yet, but isn't there supposed to be some sort of gun in it that makes the person you shoot see your perspective briefly? Perhaps they got the idea from the Total Perspective Vortex.

kilikili
05-03-2005, 04:43 PM
I personally like the original radio series where it all started.

-Kilikili

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." -HHGTTG

pgp_protector
05-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Well the earth is destroyed a few more times in the later books :)

But Dont forget about learning how to fly by forgetting to fall.

and the true orgin of man.

Or God's last message to us.

T Bomb
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
If you ask me, I think the purests and the fan boys need to all just shut up and stop giving the movie bad press. This was what Douglas wrote for the movie screen play. You can't keep everything the same. Times change and you have to adapt certain things over the years. Screw the fan boys. Besides he was an evolving writter; through his own words he said that. If you look at some of the early copies of the THGTG they are different from the later ones. Hell, even in the Prologue of the new books he said that he forgot certain parts and changed them over the years. Its his work, he can do to it what he wanted. Just wish he was still w/ us to squeek out 2 more AWESOME movies to get the Triology haha!

Boone
05-03-2005, 09:46 PM
With THGTTG they have definitely made a cult-classic, but I don't think that there is quite enough steam for a second movie - let alone an entire trilogy. :hmm:

Kudos if they produce a better sequel, though! :beer:

thethule
05-04-2005, 02:10 AM
If you ask me, I think the purests and the fan boys need to all just shut up and stop giving the movie bad press. This was what Douglas wrote for the movie screen play. You can't keep everything the same. Times change and you have to adapt certain things over the years. Screw the fan boys

I'm not a fanboy or a purist by any means (i just started reading the third book), but i was VERY dissapointed in the film. I don't think there is anything wrong with being dissapointed that something with so much amazing potential has been produced so averagely.The complaints people express are valid complaints. The facts are that the books had incredibly funny/fast/witty dialogue and the film had very little of that. I don't care if events are different, if Ford is played by a black guy, if things don't happen like they do in the books. What i do care is that there were only a few genuinely genius/hilarious moments in the film, when there should have been loads.....just like....ahem......the books. :p

As for a trilogy....well i wouldn't mind seeing what they do with the restaurant at the end of the universe. And the second book was the best so far (for me at least). The bit with Zaphod and the cake is wonderful!

Marc

erilaz
05-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Well, they seem to have intentionally left the ending open enough for sequels and closed enough to be by itself, so good luck to them.

Loved the film, by the way... and I'm a long standing fan of the series and the books.

furre
05-04-2005, 04:01 AM
If you ask me, I think the purests and the fan boys need to all just shut up and stop giving the movie bad press. This was what Douglas wrote for the movie screen play. You can't keep everything the same. Times change and you have to adapt certain things over the years. Screw the fan boys. Besides he was an evolving writter; through his own words he said that. If you look at some of the early copies of the THGTG they are different from the later ones. Hell, even in the Prologue of the new books he said that he forgot certain parts and changed them over the years. Its his work, he can do to it what he wanted. Just wish he was still w/ us to squeek out 2 more AWESOME movies to get the Triology haha!
First of all, only people who liked the movie should be allowed to voice their opinions on it?
Second of all, it's hardly "what Douglas wrote for the movie screenplay" seeing as he wrestled with execs about it for several years with rewrites and whatnot. Then he died, and the production company could do pretty much whatever they wanted with it.
Third of all (that sounds weird, maybe "thirdly" would sound better?), even if it was all Douglas Adams and exactly what he'd intended, it still would've been a crappy, boring, mess of a movie that simply isn't funny.

IMHO, of course.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2005, 04:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.