PDA

View Full Version : General Q: buying/registering software OS

mr_wowtrousers
05-03-2005, 02:54 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place or if it shouldn't be asked on the board. Mods feel free to lock it if that's the case (errrr, like you need my permission in any event).

Question in a nutshell:

If I buy some compositing software from another country, will there be issues registering it in my country? I live in Australia and software is a little expensive compared to, say, the US market where there is a lot more price competition. I have a feeling that software is only able to be authorised in the country (region) it is sold in, to protect the reseller networks.

Has anybody done this? Were there any problems? I don't want to shell out over a thousnad dollars to find out that my software cannot be used.

Even at regular retail prices with no discounts, something like Combustion 4 would be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

Cheers.

Ian Jones
05-03-2005, 03:11 AM
You'd have to check for each and every piece of software to be sure. They may have specific differences, and if you want to be properly covered you should ask software support / sales.

mr_wowtrousers
05-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Too true. I might have to go through the EULA on the full versions at school. I don't think I would get very far if I rang the Discreet/Autodesk resellers in Australia for some reason . . .

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2005, 03:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.