PDA

View Full Version : Bandai and Namco Merge

RobertoOrtiz
05-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Quote:
"Power Rangers creator Bandai Co. agreed to buy Pac-Man designer Namco Ltd. for about $1.7 billion (175.3 billion yen) in cash and stock to create Japan's second-biggest toy and video-game software maker. Both companies will merge Sept. 29 and be henceforth known as Namco Bandai Holdings Inc., and be led by Bandai President Takeo Takasu and Namco Vice Chairman Kyushiro Takagi"

>>Link<< (http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=25120)
-R

PhilOsirus
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I thought Namco would merge with Capcom but it seems Capcom is starting to recover from its Nintendo-only releases mistake, altho I am sure we will see further mergings. Square Enix, Sega Sammy, now Namco Bandai. Konami Capcom? One thing is certain is that Japanese companies have been having difficulties outside Japan. Hopefully they can change this with next-gen consoles.

Larry_g1s
05-02-2005, 09:24 PM
I thought Namco would merge with Capcom but it seems Capcom is starting to recover from its Nintendo-only releases mistake, altho I am sure we will see further mergings. Square Enix, Sega Sammy, now Namco Bandai. Konami Capcom? One thing is certain is that Japanese companies have been having difficulties outside Japan. Hopefully they can change this with next-gen consoles.Capcom didn't have a Nintendo only releases, it pertained to a couple of games (Viewtiful Joe & Resident Evil). And by Resident Evil 4's sales I don't think it was a mistake. ;)

DevilHacker
05-02-2005, 09:29 PM
And by Resident Evil 4's sales I don't think it was a mistake. ;)You are incorrect. It is by RE4's sales that makes it a mistake. The sales could have been higher on any other system. :shrug:

ColinRoss
05-02-2005, 10:21 PM
You are incorrect. It is by RE4's sales that makes it a mistake. The sales could have been higher on any other system. :shrug:

That's weird.....considering it was the biggest selling game in the US throughout January, and continued to be in the top 10 selling games in both Feb/March.

It's also been sold out everywhere in Europe where it's been available for the past month and a half, and Nintendo have only just sent more out to retail last week.

So I would of said that Resi4 achieved Capcoms expectations for the GameCube format....but the test will come when they release it on the PS2 at the end of the year.

To be honest, I can't see what this has to do with the game anyway. They've had plenty of failures this gen on All Formats really, and quite a few success's aswell. It's just the increased competition that Japanese developers are feeling from western developers, the same goes for Square-Enix.

Nightez
05-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Resident Evil 4 has done fairly well, here in the UK its sold out. I ve been looking for it for three weeks can't find it anywhere.

According to Mikami himself RE4 couldnt have been done on PS2.

rakmaya
05-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Resident Evil 4 has done fairly well, here in the UK its sold out. I ve been looking for it for three weeks can't find it anywhere.

According to Mikami himself RE4 couldnt have been done on PS2.

In US as well. However I must admit that there are people including me who didn't buy it because it is only on GC. I played it at my friend's place. At the same time I know people who bought the console only to play that game. Either way you look at it, it is did very good. But businesswise, it could have had more sales. I dont' think that is the real reason for their problems.

heavyness
05-03-2005, 02:13 AM
it has nothing to do with business, the team behind Resident Evil 4 wanted to make it for the Gamecube [because they like programming for it]. i'm trying to find the article, but they are upset that Capcom is making them port it to the PS2.

personally, i find it great that the team picked a system because they felt they could create the game they wanted to on it, not because of the $$$.

back on subject. i'm a big Namco fan so i sit and wait to see what new franchise's these two companies can put out.

rakmaya
05-03-2005, 03:43 AM
it has nothing to do with business, the team behind Resident Evil 4 wanted to make it for the Gamecube [because they like programming for it].

Who wouldn't. Of all my programming life, I have never seen a systen this beautiful to work with. You can't explain the sense of achievement when you feel like something "non-PC" and yet fun and straight forward.

back on subject. i'm a big Namco fan so i sit and wait to see what new franchise's these two companies can put out

My guess is a lot of Cell shaded (especially on next gen) and some good fighting games may be?

Nightez
05-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Who wouldn't. Of all my programming life, I have never seen a systen this beautiful to work with. You can't explain the sense of achievement when you feel like something "non-PC" and yet fun and straight forward.

My guess is a lot of Cell shaded (especially on next gen) and some good fighting games may be?Interesting, is it straight forward compared to the XBox?

rakmaya
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Interesting, is it straight forward compared to the XBox?

Well, xbox is not a console in many sense for programmers like me. It is like PC and all x86 derivations are easy because you already have everything for it on PC. Because of DirectX, the xbox is very easy. But in case of GC, it is straight forward because the entire core is simple. Their kit is very good and the platform is very nice to program. Most of the stuffs doen't require a documentations because a lot of things work based on commonsense of applying it. I only worked on it for 4 months. But I have say that I enjoyed that more than working on the xbox for the past 2 years.

We get the same feeling as programming a console. I think that is correct way to put than comparing the easiness.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.