PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare Before Christmas: Inspiration Comes Standard

offbeatworlds
05-02-2005, 05:49 PM
So, just last night I watched Nightmare Before Christmas for the first time ever. I must say the storyline was not what I had expected. It was rather cute. Overall, though, I liked it but I'm not sure if I would buy it.

But then a miraculous thing happened that may make me change my mind: I sat down right after watching the movie and painted a picture, in less than an hour. I've never ever painted a decent picture that fast before, and I think the movie somehow shoved me in an appropriate direction. I think the picture turned out fairly good.

Perhaps I should buy Nightmare Before Christmas, so that I can experience that inspiration thrill more. It was a nice movie, and the graphics and claymation was excellent, not to mention the lovely songs (really the only thing that bugged me was some of the more juvenile parts of the movie, such as the Mayor and the Boogie-Oogie Man's little helpers).

Have you guys ever seen this movie and been inspired by it?

chrisbeaver
05-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Yep yep. I have it back at home somewhere (Though on VHS; for that reason it's been a good while since I've watched it), and I happen to know it's one'a my girlfriend's favorite films. I'm a real sucker for Tim Burton's sense of design; although I rarely try to imitate him, I can't help but appreciate is creativity and his skill at taking even century-old ideas and putting a new spin on them.

He's a talented visual director, but even more I admire him as a dreamer.

Keep an eye out for Corpse Bride later this year. It's lookin' to be awesome.

Gord-MacDonald
05-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Yep - I liked it (Tim Burton is a genius!)
Hey how about posting the picture you did!

Gord

offbeatworlds
05-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Ok, GordonM, just for you, lol

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/DS329-thedeep.jpg

Ok, so there are several things wrong with it, but it came out well enough to make me proud of it. It also has nothing to do with Nightmare Before Christmas, but the movie apparently had enough power to cause me to paint well after watching it. :)

itsallgoode9
05-03-2005, 12:52 AM
That's one of my fave movies..it just has such a great visual style! I have been like that with movies before. Whenever I watched "Tin Cup" I used to play alot better rounds of golf lol. Great painting by the way

stewartjones
05-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Nice painting dude!... It does have a Nightmare Before Christmas feel to it!

Oh, it's my fave film of all time! :thumbsup:

offbeatworlds
05-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Nice painting dude!...

"Dude"? Ehem...dudette, if you will. =D Thank you for the compliments!

Gord-MacDonald
05-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Stephanie...er...dudette...er...Sylanya :D

Good work! Inspiration is such a great thing - wouldn't it be great if it could be summoned on demand!

Gord

paperclip
05-03-2005, 07:57 AM
You mean you haven't found the 'inspire' button in photoshop? It's one of the pull-out options in the brushes section ;) It uses bluetooth to send inspiration directly to your brain, pretty nifty, eh?

shhh....our secret, ok?

offbeatworlds
05-03-2005, 12:38 PM
You mean you haven't found the 'inspire' button in photoshop? It's one of the pull-out options in the brushes section ;) It uses bluetooth to send inspiration directly to your brain, pretty nifty, eh?

shhh....our secret, ok?

Oh, no, I didn't know about that yet. I should try that out, thanks for telling me about it.

:rolleyes:

Haha, paperclip, you're such a trip. Thanks

offbeatworlds
05-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh my, I have the song "What's This" stuck in my head now. I keep catching myself dancing to the tune. I love that song! *squee!*

jmBoekestein
05-03-2005, 06:46 PM
What's this?

from whom, who made it?

*winks at paperclip*:wise:

offbeatworlds
05-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Here is an image I painted whilst watching a Tim Burton movie (my favorite, actually) Beetlejuice. This one was not finished that night though, but it was finished after watching Nightmare. Interesting...

http://thecoloreddragon.home.comcast.net/images/DS327-doesntnormallyhavewings.jpg

paperclip
05-03-2005, 09:04 PM
What's this?

from whom, who made it?

*winks at paperclip*:wise:

The same people that made XDUGEF.
Maybe it is and maybe it isn't...
These people are geniuses... I love them :love:

Gord-MacDonald
05-03-2005, 09:49 PM

shhh....our secret, ok?

Hey Cool - I just found it ! :bounce:
- oh no, mine has a 30 day trial period - and it just expired :cry: hehe

Gord

paperclip
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
That's what you get for using a shareware version of 'INSPIRATIONTM'...:rolleyes:

offbeatworlds
05-04-2005, 03:43 AM

Still have "What's This?" stuck in my head... :shrug:

Dutchman
05-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Still have "What's This?" stuck in my head... :shrug:
Yeah... you should see that as a positive thing, dudette ;) :shrug: :buttrock:

I've also seen The Nightmare Before Christmas recently for the first time (2 months ago), and I was immediately sold to it... :shrug: The design, animation, music, mood...! Just all awesome...!! That's also why I watched it 'then-a-days' about every day :eek: (something I hadn't done since the Lion King... some 10 years back ;) )

Nightmare Before Xmas rulezzz my (our?) world! :twisted:

offbeatworlds
05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah... you should see that as a positive thing, dudette ;) :shrug: :buttrock:

I've also seen The Nightmare Before Christmas recently for the first time (2 months ago), and I was immediately sold to it... :shrug: The design, animation, music, mood...! Just all awesome...!! That's also why I watched it 'then-a-days' about every day :eek: (something I hadn't done since the Lion King... some 10 years back ;) )

Nightmare Before Xmas rulezzz my (our?) world! :twisted:

It must be an artist thing to appreciate Tim Burton movies. My mom and dad did not like Nightmare Before Christmas.

biliousfrog
05-04-2005, 01:29 PM
you've gotta buy it on DVD for all the cool extras. If the film inspired you then you ain't seen nothing till you've seen Vincent, one of his early stop motion shorts with Vincent Price narrating....it's fantastic! plus all the behind the scenes stuff. Well worth the low asking price on Amazon.

nice pic by the way:thumbsup:

stewartjones
05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
"Dude"? Ehem...dudette, if you will. =D Thank you for the compliments!

Hey Stephanie!

I have this problem of saying 'dude', or 'guys' when talk about both sexes. Sorry anyways though! I really need to get outta that habit!

Awesome paintings though du..... err Steph! :D

-Stu

offbeatworlds
05-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Ugh, this is so frustrating! My mom disliked that movie so much she doesn't even want me to buy the soundtrack! And I so want it...I want the Beetlejuice soundtrack too, she'd rather I have that one. :/

My gosh, it's my money for crying out loud. *huff*

Dutchman
05-05-2005, 09:38 AM
It must be an artist thing to appreciate Tim Burton movies. My mom and dad did not like Nightmare Before Christmas.
My mom disliked that movie so much she doesn't even want me to buy the soundtrack!

Well... Maybe you're right that just and only artists (and other creative people ;) ) like the movie... After seeing the movie for the first time, I was veeeeery enthousiast about it (wanted to watch it again right after the end credits ;) ), but my dad & sister veeery disliked the movie...

By the way that's something I have with allot movies: I just and only watch 'good' movies, often 'psychological' stuff, but with some imagination in it ('Big Fish', but also 'The Green Mile', 'City of Angels' and so). And 'those un-creative people' always call it 'stupid unrealistic rare movies'.... To me that are the only movies... I don't watch bad stuff... :shrug: :buttrock:

And about the soundtrack... well... In mý eyes the soundtrack is also damn very nice! :) Good luck on convincing your parents/mother about the 'quality' of it! ;)

Greeetz,
Gijs

offbeatworlds
05-05-2005, 03:28 PM
YES!! I just discovered a really cool picture on the Beetlejuice CD. I can play the music only (no dialogue), and have the TV off. So I can do homework or paint and listen to the music too. Hehehe! *feels smart*

I still might buy the soundtrack anyway.

DarkAngelSyn
05-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Well yah I love it too, but it has been my experience that moments of inspiration like that only come once and awhile. While the movie may have kick started it, its not likey to give you the same experience the second time.

offbeatworlds
05-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Alright, alright. As much as I loved watching Nightmare Before Christmas, I have to admit that Beetlejuice is still my favorite. I want to watch it all the time now, haha!

"Help me! This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" *laughs*

Enayla
05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
One shouldn’t even get me started on this movie.

I didn’t catch it in the movies. I remember wanting to go but none of my friends felt up to it. Then I rented it and I watched it, and I loved it more than I have ever loved any movie before or since. I have watched no other movie as many times (probably about 50+ by now) and there is very little that inspires me so much as it does.

The music is flawless and stirring. I’d like to mention ‘Poor Jack’, ‘Kidnap the Sandy Claws’ and ‘Town Meeting Song’ in particular – and having said that, yes, Tim Burton is a genius but when he is teamed up with Danny Elfman, he kicks so much arse that it’s not even funny.

The colours, the designs, and the feel of the movie just get to me. While I am wholly aware of Tim Burton not being the actual director of this awesome movie, I still feel that it is completely him, like a distilled piece of his inspiration, shared with the world. Am I sounding creepy yet?

No, I’m not a desperate fan girl who can’t tell when her favourite artist messes something up – I wasn’t very fond of Planet of the Apes and while I enjoy Mars Attacks, I wouldn’t refer to it as one of my favourite movies. But when Tim Burton gets it right, he gets it right like no one else. On the top list of my most inspirational movies to watch when I can’t paint, there are at least five that are his.

Does it make me want to paint? Hell yea. I often have it running in the background while I'm working on something.

urgaffel
05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I have a feeling I'm not the only one who can't wait for his Corpse Bride ;)

Enayla
05-11-2005, 02:56 PM
:drool:

don't mention the forbidden movie.

it will ruin my life.

:cry:

offbeatworlds
05-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Haha, I actually accidently saw Mars Attack a couple years ago at a hotel. I was out of town for a competition, and alone in the room. Didn't have anything better to do, so I watched it. I wasn't taken by it, but I did think it was absolutely hilarious just because it was so stupid, and that there were actors in there that I knew very well. I don't know I have mixed feelings about that movie.

I cannot wait for Corpse Bride though. I'd probably have to go with a friend when it comes out though. :shrug:

About Planet of the Apes; I thought the movie was going pretty good, had nice visual effects and a good storyline...until the end, which I did NOT like and it just totally ruined the movie. Ah well, can't have them all. I do like the music though. :)

ps
05-20-2005, 10:42 PM
I did'n chance to see Nightmare before Christmas, but few days ago I have seen Tim Burton's "Vincent", and this is most briliant animated film I ever seen. I love it :love:.

I hope that sooner or later I will have chance to watch Nightmare before Christmas.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2005, 10:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.