PDA

View Full Version : - Good place for video cards?

CIM
02-15-2002, 11:05 AM
I'm looking for a new video card. My current video card (TNT2 M64) isn't all that great. I'm looking for a good, decent-priced video card, which will support programs like Project:Messiah and LipService (both very OpenGL dependent).

What are some good, reliable online sites that sell quality video cards? Since I live in a small town, which doesn't really have any decent computer stores, I'm probably gonna order online.

I've heard GeForce 2-3 cards would be a pretty good card for my situation. I'm not looking for the latest, greatest card--just one that will fully support the programs mentioned above.

Thanks.

3dsmax
02-16-2002, 03:55 AM
I am looking for a new video card to replace my aging card also.

Basically you have two companies to choose from, Nvida which makes GeForce and ATI which makes Radeon.

Geforce 4 is coming out with more features, but Geforce 3 is very good now at reasonable price. You can't go wrong with Geforce.

Me, I am thinking of buying a ATI Radeon 8500, even though it has some drivers problem, which ATI should fix eventually. The only reason why I lean toward ATI is its better TV-out quaility for making my own demo tape at home, and good 2D. It's 3D is not shabby either though Geforce can beat it in some test.

But any one of them will do fine even though people will make war on which is better.

The one computer store that consistently have good mark and reasonable price is www.newegg.com

jazzthief
02-17-2002, 03:22 AM
Since you're not using Maya or Softimage the GeForce 3 Ti200 or Ti500 is enough for your needs. They're both under $300 among many vendors online. Try www.pricewatch.com to find attractive prices.

Btw, how do you like Messiah Studio.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.