PDA

View Full Version : Study of Canted Angles (Photoshop Painting)

D. Phoenix
02-15-2002, 12:04 PM
I applied some of the classic cinematography concepts of the canted angle to a sketch/photoshop painting I was working on. Essentially I wanted to test the effect of the diagonal lines to the image.

So when one looks at this picture... it should have some feel of 'instability' due to the "relational editing of the diagonal lines" or so they say.

so... does it?

http://www.phoenix-archetypes.com/2dgallery2/cantedangles01.jpg

Commentary welcome.

-D. Phoenix
www.phoenix-archetypes.com

Sangotten
02-15-2002, 07:38 PM
Let me be strait forward....I don't care about the canted angles! I love the girl! She looks really good...so maybe those canted angles did do the trick!

Machine
02-16-2002, 06:21 AM
Nice work.

Titan
02-16-2002, 09:09 AM
hey man, nice work...great to see fellow comics illustrators here...

I am gathering that you are influenced by the work of J.Scott Cambell .....(correct me if I'm wrong)

nothing wrong with that, he's a great artist.

I myself am influenced by many comics illustrators and sci-fi fantasy painters/illustrators...you can see some of my stuff

HERE (http://www.u-238.com/titan/Sketches.htm) if your interested...

keep up the great work man, I like your site...would love to see more 2d work!

D. Phoenix
02-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Thanks a lot-

Glad to see someone familiar with Campbell's work. Indeed I do draw stylistic influences from JSC, but also Ale Garza and, to a lesser extent, Mike Turner. (I'm in no rush to be the next Al Rio though.) Which reminds me, when was the last time Campbell produced a regular series? Two years ago on Danger Girl if I'm not mistaken. Talk about a slow artist (albeit very talented).

Titan - some fine sketchwork you have there. Always a fan of the ancient armorclad warrior characters. Do you ink your work for comic style colorings? (I had wanted to ink this piece here but due to lack of a good pen and time, went ahead and photoshoped the pencils).

-D. Phoenix

Titan
02-16-2002, 11:42 AM
Yep I ink my own stuff...I also have a friend who I went to highschool and college with, and he sometimes inks my work.

Mostly I like to pencil and do value drawings...but will occasionally whip out the inks, usually only if I know the finished product is going to be reproduced.

I love JSC's work, I hear tell in the latest wizard that he has put Abby Chase and crew on hold indefinately to work on an as yet unannouned project.(cant wait to see what thats all about).

Before I went to school for an animation degree, I was heavily pursueing a career as a comic book illustrator.

I was doing well and had done some pencils for a few unknown and local independant books(most of which never saw the light of day), I had a serious interest from a couple different editors at marvel, and an interest from Darkhorse....but uncontrollable circumstances in my life at that time didnt allow me to follow up with either of those leads.
I showed work at conventions to established pros who all said nice things... they told me I "was there"(in their opinion) and just needed to go get the work.

Rob Liefeld offered me a position with extreme studios, but 2 months later Rob was booted from Image and extreme was no more...plus he wanted me to draw like him, and I hate Robs style..if it can be called that. If I cant draw my own way, then I'd rather not at all.

I think only now is the industry relaxing enough to allow for new artists with unique styles.

I took a few years away from comics to gain some life experience,do some soul searching, and get a degree in computer animation.

I think I'm ready to try again, probably have been for a while, but I 'm just reluctant to pick up the pencil and do submissions again...I'd much rather draw original stories and characters, but that seems self defeating because companies want to see their characters and ideas, not yours or mine. And of course my long time high school/college buddy keeps bugging me to get into it and create some new material. I will eventually.

Ok I'll refrain from boring you further.....
if you made it this far thanks for reading;)

D. Phoenix
02-16-2002, 12:07 PM
Titan-

lol- Rob Liefeld has a style?! Since when!? ;)

If I remember correctly, there used to be this one comics site (genesis comics?) featuring "The Swipe of the Week" archive in which Rob Liefeld is caught red handed swiping art straight off other, more well known artists.

In addition, I have a striking similarity with your earlier comic ambitions - Prior to my indulgence in 3D, that was what I also wanted to be. Unfortunately, the old sketch and ink is more of a monthly hobby now as the lure of the 3D is irresistable.

Best of luck on any future comic plans- the comic industry seems to be somewhat lackluster in the last year or two and could use some sort of refreshing like in the mid 90s. I imagine the steam from that era is winding down by now.

And whatever JSC is working on these days, it better have some of his trademark ladies or I will be bitterly disappointed.

-D. Phoenix

Sangotten
02-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Djeee...well I'm a comic wannabe too!

I've always loved the work of Joe Madureira (battle chasers) and you can see that in my work.....(damn, I'm not so original), Cambell is also one of my fav's. I wanted to (and still do) be a comic artist, but for some one out the Netherlands it's really hard to get atention of the big guys.
I've been at the office of DC comics but they said I was to young (I was 16 at the time) and needed to finish my education.

Now I'm still waiting for my moment of glory in the comic biz.

You can see some work at my site Go here (http://www.gillesketting.cjb.net)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.