PDA

View Full Version : FXWARS! MoonShot!: dubbilan (Fantasy: Surreal)

dubbilan
05-01-2005, 02:02 AM
hey all

I will soon be posting my entry to the MoonShot challenge... due to the twists and turns of this project I haven't posted before here at all, both been too confused as what to write, and BUSY
I started with one team, that crashed after we had did quite a lot, then just two persons, me included, started another mission. I began building a new set for the outro of this movie...then he couldn't continue either..we'll, I was already sofar, and what I had created for this project suddenly seemed willing to merge with another character...

As the teams changed and it ended as a solo project it went from sci-fi to the contemplating of a surreal object having intimate relations with a strange antique alien-crafted Dooms day device. But at the same time a trip to the moon. So it went from there.

Since I haven't posted any WIP-shots I thought I'd to that now. Here's an early completed_model shot of the device and after that a test-render when most of the texturing and lighting had been done.

http://dubbilan.homepage.dk/device2.jpg

-------

http://dubbilan.homepage.dk/device3.jpg

The journey to the moon isn't really the same without motion, and sound...
I have learned extreme amounts especially about texturing and lighting during this challenge. It has really been a pleasure even though I haven't formerly introduced myself until now :)
So thanks for such wonderful challenges, I've never heard about this place until a month ago when a friend asked me to join this challenge. But I'm deffinetly coming back here again.

I will post links soon when I have my animation uploaded, so hopefully it will reach the deadline even with the new member validation time ;)

If anyone are interested I can post some WIP-shots afterwards, though ofcourse, it's not the same...

well, buy for now
/lasse

dubbilan
05-01-2005, 11:36 PM
It got through in time...was just about to start pulling my hair since I won't be around any internet for the next day or so..

So without further wait I give to you the links for my entry:

Quicktime movie (pretty slow server, 115MB download! High quality video+sound)
zentipede.dk/dubbilan_fxwars_640_480.mov (http://zentipede.dk/dubbilan_fxwars_640_480.mov)

DivX 5.2 movie (faster server, 9.5MB download, Med quality video+sound)
dubbilan.homepage.dk/dubbilan_fxwars_640_480.avi (http://dubbilan.homepage.dk/dubbilan_fxwars_640_480.avi)

Playing time: 1:15 min

I have no storing access above 10MB on fast servers for the time being - except fileplanet, and you really really don't want that - so this is the reasoning for the split up of files.
But the DivX-one should be good enough for all to enjoy, the quicktime is for the ones with the luxury of too much time.

The approach is a "first person" jump_to_the_moon followed by entering an airlock and experiencing some strange phenomenons in the underground parts of the moon... A bit weird some might say, but it could be fun :)

The name of the movie is Searing Lightbulbs ("Moon Shot") - both are in the title.
It is modelled, animated, textured, lit and rendered in Maya 6.0
Everything, except for a character in the very end, has been done specifically for this challenge.
Some of the models - the one in the first post eg. was done almost a month ago, but the movie itself and perhaps 95% of the complete workload has been done during the last two weeks with pretty intense efforts.
No compositing has been done.

The sound is made on a cheap laptop being utilizied as drum with its buildin screen microphone as pickup - I found good use for that computer after I discovered its true nature..

Any questions or comments are greatly appreciated! :)
I won't tell you the point of all this madness though - if any - besides of the trip to the moon offcourse, I'm a bit too artsy for that.. ;)

cheers, and have fun

Faber
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
congratulations on finishing and meeting the deadline! its great to see something so unusual, truly unique. I love your camerawork and the idea itself, I wish it was longer! I was just getting ready for some more character on character action :)

good luck in the fantasy challenge!

cheers,
kasper

dubbilan
05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
haha yeah, thanks :)
Wish I have had more time for that, and for the whole thing in generel, but the schedule was tight enough as it was already...I was surprised how difficult it was to animate that beast...maybe if I have had more than two days for those last scenes I could have done more :)

I might do some "deleted/censored scenes" at some point if I get the time.. ;)

RobertoOrtiz
05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
The voting thread will be posted on the weekend....

(Sunday night, May 8th)
la la looking away.

-R

Joblh
05-09-2005, 05:07 PM
the link doesn't work in the voting thread :(

dubbilan
05-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I've seen it and emailed Roberto,
but the link still works here :)

RobertoOrtiz
05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Fixed!

-r

dubbilan
05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
.. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.