PDA

View Full Version : Evil Plan Studios - eye candy

SheepFactory
10-06-2002, 07:38 PM
http://www.evil-plan.com/main.html

Make sure to watch the movie files , some really nice character animation there.

noquarter
10-06-2002, 07:59 PM
:thumbsup: Nice stuff. I like the "soft" look of the characters and the cartoony feel. Just out of curiosity, I noticed that in the tut section they used Lightwave. I have never used lightwave but would love to give it a try. At school we only use Maya and Max and you can ellect to take a little XSI. Everytime I bring up Lightwave I almost get laughed out of the room. Its seems like a ton of studios use it, what is the big draw back?

calilunatic
10-06-2002, 08:01 PM
what school do you go to?

-wT-
10-06-2002, 08:51 PM
I'm not a huge Lightwave fanatic, actually never used the progie before... but if you're being laughed at, then I'd suggest you to change school ;)

Joril
10-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Everytime I bring up Lightwave I almost get laughed out of the room. Its seems like a ton of studios use it, what is the big draw back?

Ignorent people. It's propably because Lightwave isn't mentioned when it comes to big movie projects (A|W has got the money...) or games for that matter. But it's widly used in broadcast (most of all I think).
And maybe these people have to rely on an app instead of talent. Or is it that their works are so gigantic that they really need the most expensive and most complicated program?
The big drawback, ha, it's a phantom.

Xilica
10-06-2002, 09:43 PM
haha kewl

slaughters
10-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Nice style ! This is the kind of modeling that works well in cartoons. It has strong characterization which lends itself well to cartoons. The photo real 3D catoon projects allways looked a little creepy to me.

True
10-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Yeah really cool stuff there, the kind of modeling style I do or at least try to, thanks for showing this, just may have to send a demo reel there when I'm ready.

True.

AJE
10-07-2002, 02:40 AM
noquarter:

I use Maya and LW professionally.

Of all of the apps I've tried, LW is still the strongest modelling package and has one of the best native renderers in the industry.

If your instructors laughed at you for suggesting LW, the odds are that the instructors have little to no actual industry experience. If they had, they would have come across it in almost every aspect of the 3D industry from print graphics to games, TV, and Films. Whether liking it or not, you have to respect the amount of people using it...

click here for a list of projects utilizing LW (http://www.lightwave3d.com/product/projects_list.html)

It's an inexpensive app that has consistantly found it's way into major productions. Pros respect LW for it's ease of use and various production/pipeline advantages.

If 50%+ of studios have LW, it can't be all that bad...

AJE

urgaffel
10-07-2002, 02:50 AM
Call me retarded, but I can't find the movie files.

toonshady
10-07-2002, 04:28 AM
I like this one very much.

http://www.evil-plan.com/hershey.html

say-g
10-07-2002, 05:29 AM
just tell the ppl who larf at you that lw has been used for more productions than any other app

elfufu
10-07-2002, 06:36 AM
the animation is incredible and so is everything else but is it just me or are the camera angles stiff and not very dynamic?? seems like they could be so much better if they freed the camera a bit

Dominique
10-07-2002, 09:36 AM
seems too much like animation-excercises,

vbstudios
10-07-2002, 10:33 AM
:shame:
Hmmmm, just going back to the lightwave topic.

One INDUSTRIAL LIGHT AND MAGIC has a unit called the Rebel Unit, and they put together the R2D2 flying sequence towards the end of ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

Read the cinefex article on it, Mr.Lucas was so impressed, he didnt even think it was CG.

So there, ha. If its good enough for ilm its good enough for me (and probably everyone else)

-wT-
10-07-2002, 01:48 PM
And in the end, even if ILM would laugh at it, but YOU would produce better stuff with LW than ILM with their app-of-choice, would it matter at all?

toonshady
10-08-2002, 04:34 AM
"the animation is incredible and so is everything else but is it just me or are the camera angles stiff and not very dynamic?? seems like they could be so much better if they freed the camera a bit"

You have to understand the aesthetic of traditional animation which is what I reference that hersey animation to. How many crazy camera sequence do you see in 2d animated films. You don't. Character animation is the focus of the dynamics of the character and his performance, not what kind of interesting camera swirls you can put off. If your camera moves too much, it will distract audience from reading the poses of the character.

" seems too much like animation-excercises, "

Damn good animation-excercise imho. And they got paid for it.

slaughters
10-08-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by -wT-
And in the end, even if ILM would laugh at it, but YOU would produce better stuff with LW than ILM with their app-of-choice, would it matter at all? Well, if ILM continues to make billions of $'s each year, while you continue to flip burgers at McDonalds, then yeah, it would matter.

-wT-
10-08-2002, 03:11 PM
Well yeah, but I doubt you'll get a job at the headquarters of ILM as the boss, by just changing the application you use from LW to i.e. Maya or XSI :)

vbstudios
10-08-2002, 06:21 PM
from reading FAQ and interviews and such, whether its ILM or Pixar or whoever (bit of a lucas buzz going here) you have got to have the talent. Most of the big studios have their own proprietary software and you have to get trained on it.

Lets face it, 3d animation, modelling etc. has the same principals right across all the software packages. I think most people are hired on what they can do, but not what they do it with. We can all do courses on maya or whatever but still not have the eye for the finished product. Just cause you might have a qualifcation lets say in computer science, doesnt mean you are god gift to the world of I.T.

Talent is everything, 3D Packages are nothing...(well not really)

Obey your talent

Peace Out :thumbsup:

Vic
www.vicbarrystudios.com (http://www.vicbarrystudios.com)

PNelson
10-09-2002, 09:51 PM
It's easier to teach an artist 3D, than to teach a 3D technician to be an artist!

I've seen great work done will all 3D tools by REAL artists... Just find the tool that feels comfortable to you.... (That could be taken as a vulgar comment. DOH!!)

I've seen some traditional artists, photographers and sculptors make an almost seamless transition to 3D.

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
NewTek

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.