PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have 100%?

LouisCho
04-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Ok I don't want to speak about a bad result or to praise me, it's not a negative post. I just want to understand the meaning of it.

I recently have a discussion with a friend(we are both student and i talk about student work) who said that that 100% is impossible to have for a work. I think this is not true because is i do a work who represent exactly a somebody (here a prof) want, it's possible. I observed that many people just don't(never) want to accord 100% because perfection did not exist. It's may be true but where is the limit? (can i have 99%?, some prof. never want to give up to 90%).

I know that a great part of art is subjective but when somebody don't want to accord a right result on a work just because he never give more than 90%, is it not a little close? I mean this person go in a museum, see the (here put your favorite panting) and he will critic it and give it 90%!!

What do you think about it?

Louis

jmBoekestein
04-30-2005, 03:25 PM
When you get right down to it, every choice you make is inevitably the wrong one, but for all the right reasons. If you try to mimiick reality, you'll end up with something that's based of a perceptional illusion. If you are doing something more abstract you'll have to deal with subjectivity and the possibilty that someone might not be able to comprehend the underlyoing thought emotion.

The striving is never over, you can't really be sure if something would've been better had you made a different choice on each turn, but having fully accomplished one piece would mean you have the skill and ability to do it again on some other piece, you would have reached perfection yourslef. It's contradictory. And I think it's impossible.

chrisbeaver
04-30-2005, 08:01 PM
There is no perfect artwork because there are no perfect audiences. Whatever reception an artwork might recieve is not the result of the efforts of the artist -- Sad, but ultimately true. It depends on how it causes people to react, and since we all have different tastes, a single image can't cater to any group of people universally. I'd like to cite Gian Lorenzo Bernini, the italian baroque sculptor. His sculpture, in terms of technique, composition, detail, is considered to be some of the most incredible ever made. He could practically make flesh out of stone; it's purely unbelievable to behold. And yet, even in his time critics didn't give him full credit because they complained that he wasn't giving enough tribute to his medium. He achieved such complex poses and surfaces that his critics said he was practically denying the fact he was even working in stone. On the basis of personal tastes, they actually had the nerve to say this was a bad thing.

Some critics are going to like cartoonish work, some'll prefer realistic. Some will like triangular compositions, some radial; some love detail, some love smoothness. Would the professer favor a face, or a full body? Or a vehicle? Perhaps a landscape? And for all the above, if so, then what kind? Color? Composition? The only way 100% could ever be achieved is when the student analyzes his professor's preferences with hawklike attention throughout the term, acts accordingly, has the skills to pull it off, and never ever lets on that he's going to this effort or else he'll be labelled a grade-whore by both his professor and his peers. So in short, it's all but impossible.

.....Of course, these are the musings of a guy who's never had a professor that would grade up to a 100, and has given up trying ^^;

Schwinnz
04-30-2005, 08:35 PM
I've had a few 100% when I was in college last year.

It just depends how high the bar is set. If you more than fullfill what's asked, it way get you a 100%. The key is don't do only what's asked, give more than what's asked.

Ch3
05-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Everything said before is really true.
For me 100% is not possible, just because in an artistic assigment there is not a specific goal to acheave. I got 100% for my programming project just because I managed to make this fractal to work. But the same cannot be applied to art. What if the prof put you 100% and next morning a new Picaso appear in your class?

In the same content, I hate when people see a piece of art, and they say "this is crap". The fact that they dont like it, doesnt mean that it is actually crap, but their taste doesnt match the one of the artwork. By saying that, they humiliate the artist but also all the others that may like it.
Maybe a bit irrelevant... but i wanted to say it.

Gord-MacDonald
05-04-2005, 03:39 AM
I am not sure percentages points are the best way to measure art.
a) Art is very subjective.
b) Quality is highly relative ( - is the work good compared to the old masters, or the guy sitting beside you in an art class?...)

Gord

Peddy
05-04-2005, 03:58 AM
As soon as something becomes perfect, it loses its perfection, as far as im concerned. But it depends on your interpretation of 'perfect'. If it's meant in the sense of 'flawless' and 'true to reality', then yes, it's possible (in my opinion) to make something perfect. Not easy at all, granted - it'll take more than 7 days (if you know what I mean), but possible.
But if you are referring to perfection on an aesthetic level, I believe such a thing does not exist.

Jomina
05-04-2005, 03:59 AM
The one thing I have always had in my mind is that, no work of art is ever perfect, and that no artist is ever 100% satisfied with their work... there's always something in a piece that you can see later that you could have done differently, or better, or whatever.

But I guess that's going more with the personal side of things.

ashakarc
05-04-2005, 06:02 AM
Interesting topic. As a professor of Architecture, I never gave 100%, not because I principally oppose it though. The grading system depends on many factors. Besides the merits of the work, there is always the context by which I grade my students work. The nature of the project, the level of difficulty, the timeframe given, the resources available, etc.. 100% does not mean perfection, although it is the highest accomplishment measure in numerical value. Perfection exists only in nature, and that is because we cannot fault it as we are part of it.

So, 100% is a possible option within the criteria in hand. Take this example, you have a class of 16 year olds, and one student can paint like a pro, what would you give to her?
There is always this hidden factor in grading called 'encouragement'. If I see a student who is serious about the work, and doing his best to reach the goal, the grade is slightly inflated to help lift the moral but not to the level that lead to misconception of his ability.

During my academic life as a student and a faculty, I have seen teachers who feel threatened by the full mark or even 90%, and truly I had this incident at first year architecture when my freehand drawing teacher who gave me 89% said to me, I didn't give you 90% because you are not better than me, besides I would have to fail everyone else :rolleyes:

So, if you are a top student, 100% won't mean anything, it just alienate you from the rest of your class,...human nature !

noen
05-06-2005, 10:13 PM
%100 of what? The whole idea is just nuts.

Art is not a quantitative science. Wrong catagory.

In another sense, if a certain art work succeeds at what it's trying to say, then I'd say it hits it's mark %100. So....every successful artwork is %100 go! go! go!

nakia
05-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Everything is perfect. Perfect at being imperpect. so that makes it perfect. So it is always 100% at not being 100% if it is not 100%.

Frogman
05-07-2005, 02:27 AM
Interesting question and a lot of good observations posted.. hmm

I would say yes.. 100% is indeed possible. Because, it is a grade based on on some set criteria.. that's what being graded is about and yes, some professors don't think they can give 100% because they don't have the criteria they are basing the grade on defined. They might think they do but if they honestly can't give 100% wouldn't you say they don't?

Surly your assignments aren't, "Paint a picture.. make it exceptional".

On the other hand, I don't think you can go up to any piece of artwork that isn't assigned and give it a grade. It would be absurd to rate things like that.. " This Frankenthaler gets a 92% and this one gets a 87%". I for one do think that the concept that all art is purely subjective so one piece can't be better then another is well.. crap. Every medium has some form of an intrinsic visual language. Traditionally I come from more of a sculptural background -- if I go into one of the sculpture 1 classes the work probably won't be as good as the work in the wing of master's grads. Artists are always learning their craft and the visual language they express with. Improvement is natural. If your work wasn't a benchmark of your progression as an artist, why would we bother to continue to create and grow?

Well..thats my two bits. Back to work..

noen
05-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Everything is perfect. Perfect at being imperpect. so that makes it perfect. So it is always 100% at not being 100% if it is not 100%.

Makes perfect sense to me.

The only exception being my daughters master pieces, I mean drawings. They are always %200.

;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 04:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.