PDA

View Full Version : Character: mbotV2 (munkeybot version 2).

EthanMartin
10-06-2002, 04:52 PM
http://images.deviantart.com/large/indyart/3d/bot_in_a_box.jpg

This was modeled and rendered in Cinema. The character is mbotV2 (munkeybot version 2). The set-up is you classical radiosity test scene, a box with luminous walls, but I thought it would be interesting to introduce emotion to it by using a robotic character illuminated by a warm and cold color.

Attempting to convey a sense of loneliness and trouble with choice I created the pose symmetrical with only a slight favor towards one of the lights/choices. The reaching arms signify the curiosity and weighing of thought that comes before decisions.

I understand that minimal pieces need pay extra close attention to detail because the smallest of flaws can be picked up sometimes immediately. Besides improving my radiosity settings what other adjustments can this piece benefit from.

Is there anything that you feel from this piece? Was it successful?

stephen2002
10-06-2002, 05:34 PM
yes, the little bot does look lonely...

I don't spot anything imediatly wrong with it.

visualboo
10-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Cool....

What's goin on with the artifacts? Is that from the render or from jpeg compression?

EthanMartin
10-06-2002, 06:17 PM
That's from the render visualboo, I'm just beginning to use radiosity.

rason
10-06-2002, 06:42 PM
very impressive

like stephen said i cant see anything imedeatily wrong with it

and it looking good

mushroomgod
10-07-2002, 12:30 AM
looks realy cool..

no crits

empleh
10-07-2002, 06:07 AM
I might work on the camera placement if I were you. It feels like the viewer, me, is really close to the robot and looking down at a pretty sharp angle, making the room feel cramped. Something about the scale doesn't feel right. The room seems too big for the robot and too small for me. I'm sorry if this sounds vague, I am just unsure of the camera's motivation. perhaps showing a little more floor would clear this up.

The reflective surface of the robot makes him look faceted at first, at least to me.

The arms look really heavy, burdensome.

You did a nice job posing the head. The little guy looks like he just came up with a good question.

I think it might be neat to have him look directly in the camera with the hand in the cool light clenched and the hand in the warm light palm up. That would make me concentrate on the eyes but iit would seem like he was participating with the scene while looking at the viewer. Of course that isn't your intention but it might be cool to see, or it might seem hokey.

just an idea.

Does Cinema use photon mapping for gi? It looks kind of like gathering errors around the fingers. Just curious.

Thanks for shairing.

himizu
10-07-2002, 06:24 AM
yeah, i saw this over on DA already. I like your second version better though.

bjotto
10-07-2002, 06:31 AM
I can't see any problems.
What's your radiosity settings

EthanMartin
10-08-2002, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Empleh, I don't think cinema has real GI. The errors around the fingers are a bit of a dissapointment after a 4 hour render but I'm working on solving the problem. This is by far the most productive 3d forum site I've been to. I think I'll stick around.

himizu
10-08-2002, 04:15 AM
i think we'd all enjoy that. welcome aboard.

derErschaffer
10-08-2002, 07:31 AM
looks great...:thumbsup:

prayas
10-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Nice to see you over here ephecks? Welcome to cgtalk Ethan.

Nice work with the monkeyBot. Just remember that cool peace from renderosity with that two poser figures and the monkeyBots fighting.

Can't really help on this Radiosity thing. Always havingt this artifact problem myself.

P..:

slappy
10-12-2002, 10:44 AM
I think you've really pulled off a great image here. The lighting really helps set the scene, and the robot model, with it's subtle highlights and reflections, is very well done. My favorite part about his piece is the choice of camera placement, it very effectively conveys the mood, great work! :applause:

say-g
10-12-2002, 12:00 PM
thats cool. love the bot. would like to see some differant poses of him!

come hang out in the c4d forums :wavey:

DXtreme
10-12-2002, 04:29 PM
yeah .. hi ethan here at cgtalk!
i also know that little bot from renderosity....
i must say that i think the image has real emotion...the bot looks sad maybe lonely!
:::::::::::::::::::::::
what about the flying thing for the monkeybot??
did ya update this too?
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
would be nice to see some cool scene like your fights, prayas mentioned!

ThirdEye
10-12-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Ethan Martin
Thanks for the feedback guys. Empleh, I don't think cinema has real GI. The errors around the fingers are a bit of a dissapointment after a 4 hour render but I'm working on solving the problem. This is by far the most productive 3d forum site I've been to. I think I'll stick around.

Cinema 4D HAS real GI and it's surely one of the fastest GI renderer on the planet (same GI code of Cebas finalRender). If you still have artifacts after many hours of rendering the problems is in the fact that you simply have no idea of correct use of GI. Looking to the pic it seems you've set a wrong resolution for min and max res. Following finalRender videotutorials you'll understand how to use GI correctly. Very good scene and good modeling too. :thumbsup:

PROtecta
10-13-2002, 01:34 AM
Hey Bro!
Good job! Sorry for not commenting this image on DevArt ;)
It's more a mood image than a presentation of your modeling skillz, isn't it?
C ya @ DevArt :buttrock:

Greetz
PRO

say-g
10-13-2002, 02:15 PM
MV wrote a gi tutorial/explanation for cinema
http://www.mvpny.com/RadTutMV/RadiosityTut1MV.html

should clear some things up

EthanMartin
10-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Thirdeye, say-g

Thanks, that's all I can really say.
You both supplied some useful info.

Ethan

latexfatigue
10-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Could we see the wireframe that would be just super

empleh
10-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Out of curiosity, what makes a method for global illumination real? I can think of several of different methods for gi, and all look pretty good and relatively accurate if given enough time.

Sorry for getting off topic.

piajartist
10-19-2002, 07:07 AM
I like it.

Time to add a rig and animate the SOB, and post it so I can look at it again.

chepe297
10-19-2002, 07:41 AM
I really like it! I am looking forward to seeing him in motion...
The only crit is HURRY UP WITH the animation! I wanna see it! :thumbsup:

hamzabol
10-19-2002, 09:28 AM
it looks sweet a robot. he looks sad... does he has some problem? :)

TRi-14
10-19-2002, 10:13 PM
i love it! you should animate him going NUTS in that little box! good good work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

.:bounce:

facial
10-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Looks nice, How about post more pics about this character?:airguitar :airguitar
Well done.:thumbsup:

EthanMartin
10-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Here is another shot of the character with some additional design adjustments. I can't wait to texture this guy.

http://images.deviantart.com/large/indyart/3d/munkeybot_three_point_five.jpg

mikey11
10-21-2002, 02:52 AM
nice job except perhaps a radiosity issue on light spots around finger tips on ground?

To convey greater loneliness, perhaps you should have a slightly wider angle, the robot should be tiny in the middle of a massive empty space, as if sitting alone in a warehouse, and the camera should be further away...what do you think?

Mike

Kyser_Sosai
10-21-2002, 08:02 AM
I think I can see a bit of baby blue.. Maybe it's just the screen but if there is then it's really hard to see. You should change the color of the wall and floor, a bit darker might help. Leave the walls I like then nice and bright.

prasa
10-21-2002, 11:18 AM
OOooo .. very nice! :thumbsup:

HapZungLam
10-21-2002, 03:24 PM
i like the colour of the light. :applause:

Vovik3D
10-21-2002, 10:57 PM
COOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beauty Shaders!!!!

spunkman
10-22-2002, 06:35 AM
i very like this style.

very cooool this character.
:thumbsup:

Sharky
10-22-2002, 11:38 AM
Nothing to say about the modeling and the lightning, really clean work ... but I would like to say I prefer the Version 2 of the Monkey Bot, the 3.5 has less character

EthanMartin
10-22-2002, 04:48 PM
I agree sharky, possibly due to over-absorption in technological features.

Thanks.

koinu
10-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Poor Lil' Bot needs friends or even a dust bunny to keep it company. Nice creation and was we all know rendering and camera placements can be the hardest & trickiest jobs. Like the level of detail you have, not too much and not too little. Any chance that this bot might come to life? Waiting for more...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EthanMartin
10-23-2002, 12:42 PM
This bot will come to life one day. Until then I'll continue to develop stills.

http://images.deviantart.com/large/indyart/3d/10_22_untitled.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.