PDA

View Full Version : DreamWorks announces a new animated feature, 'Bee Movie'

Mysterious X
04-30-2005, 02:43 AM
DreamWorks Animation has assembled an exciting roster of voice talent for its upcoming computer-animated comedy, Bee Movie (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=9373). Jerry Seinfeld co-wrote and is producing and starring in the movie opposite Academy Award® winner Renée Zellweger (Cold Mountain, Chicago).

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9366

================

Again..flashy cast and stupid ideas..I bet this will be just like Shark Tale

Shaderhacker
04-30-2005, 05:30 AM
Seems like a weak plotted CG feature.

-M

ambient-whisper
04-30-2005, 05:37 AM

-M

and dreamworks made a movie with a good plot, when?!

but after reading the article, it could be really funny.

mental
04-30-2005, 06:08 AM
'what's the deal with honey?' :rolleyes:

worker_bee
04-30-2005, 04:51 PM

-M

Think your confusing it with Disney's Chicken Little. They had a screening for employees last week and the word is booring.

GOTgraphic
04-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Think your confusing it with Disney's Chicken Little. They had a screening for employees last week and the word is booring.Disney should either run-for-the-hills or realizes that they have no idea what they are doing (and then run-for-the-hills). Their colossal flop is nothing short of amazing... they had so much...

vrljc
04-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Cool! Another insect CG movie! :banghead: Isnt DNA doing one as well called "Antbully"? That brings the total of CG insect movies to:

Bugs Life
Antz
Antbully
Bee Movie

Para
05-01-2005, 08:34 AM
The movie plot seems to be teaching kids about useless law suits. Or something. It sounds like yet another gag movie is coming since that synopsis can't carry a whole movie by itself.

paperclip
05-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, if they see it as a way to satire the human race, it could turn out to be quite funny. I like satire!

tevih
05-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Bet if Pixar had their name at the top people would say it sounds hilarious. This sounds like it can be quite funny and it sounds like a cute premise.

Whats the problem with "insect movies"? Do we always have to have "people movies"? They're different insects...

Zack
05-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Tevih, the problem is that Dreamworks is known for ruining their movies by not allowing the person watching the film to suspend belief. They rely on pop-culture rather than an engrossing plot. This plot seems like it has way too many opportunities to fail again, and the sueing thing is just stupid.

If it was pixar I'd still be anxious about the plot, but I'd know that in the end they'd be able to create something worth watching. I point to cars as an example. I'm not excited about it, really, but their reputation is strong enough that it doesn't matter. I just know it's going to be good.

vfx
05-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Don't think much of the bees head in that pic....looks like a poor tv animated 2d head stuck on a rather cool designed bee. Hmmm...

MarkusM
05-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Wow. I don't know what to say. I am surprised that with so little information about the movie people have so much to say about it's merit or quality at this point.

I am happy that we in the feature animation are doing work that is diverse, challanging new stories and new characters of all sorts. If we'd kept with the "proven formula", we wouldn't have seen many of the exciting films of the past. Our business would stagnate, eventually die, and we wouldn't have jobs or careers to even dream of.

More power to those who dare to dream. Big or small. Proven or unproven.

kevan
05-03-2005, 06:24 AM
You guys did read the bit that it was written by Jerry Seinfeld, didn't you? I thought that people would really look forward to his particular style of comedy. From the reactionary anti-Dreamworks sentiment, I guess not.

Eeep!

Para
05-03-2005, 08:52 AM
You guys did read the bit that it was written by Jerry Seinfeld, didn't you? I thought that people would really look forward to his particular style of comedy. From the reactionary anti-Dreamworks sentiment, I guess not.

Eeep!

Some of us -like me for example- doesn't like Seinfeld at all.

Fasty
05-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Well I for one am looking forward to this. Sienfeld cracks me up so I hope his humour translates well to this film.

Shaderhacker
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Think your confusing it with Disney's Chicken Little. They had a screening for employees last week and the word is booring.

Great! That makes 2 boring CG features then! ;)

-M

ambient-whisper
05-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Wow. I don't know what to say. I am surprised that with so little information about the movie people have so much to say about it's merit or quality at this point.

I am happy that we in the feature animation are doing work that is diverse, challanging new stories and new characters of all sorts. If we'd kept with the "proven formula", we wouldn't have seen many of the exciting films of the past. Our business would stagnate, eventually die, and we wouldn't have jobs or careers to even dream of.

More power to those who dare to dream. Big or small. Proven or unproven.

yes but judging by the way dreamworks... works, sets their prorities, and looking at their past movies... we can pretty much guess, or assume how this movie will turn out.

in the past i have been looking forward to most stuff they made, but time and time again i been dissapointed by dreamworks. to me dreamworks almost feels like the fast food of 3d animation. more so than disneys sequels.

Eeep!

Jerry Seinfeld co-wrote and is producing. thats kind of like quintin terintino attaching his name to movies like hero. he brought the movie over from asia to america, but had nothing to do with the movie. people do this for marketing reasons to sell movies. thats what dreamworks likes to do to all their movies as well. for all we know jerry could have been responsible for rewording one scene and all of a sudden he is "co-writer". im not saying thats how it is, but it just gives you an example how some people think. :).

hell, even for the movie sin city, quentins name was mentioned a few times for doing a scene within the movie or something and i know a few people personally who think that it was quentin's movie.

it sells.

kevan
05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
[/font]Jerry Seinfeld co-wrote and is producing. thats kind of like quintin terintino attaching his name to movies like hero. he brought the movie over from asia to america, but had nothing to do with the movie. people do this for marketing reasons to sell movies. thats what dreamworks likes to do to all their movies as well. for all we know jerry could have been responsible for rewording one scene and all of a sudden he is "co-writer". im not saying thats how it is, but it just gives you an example how some people think. :).

you are right, but while that may be true of other features, in this case i know you to be incorrect. jerry seinfeld (along with his writing team) is integral to the development of this project. however it turns out in the end, he is very much involved, which seems to me to be a positive step in taking the animated feature to a wider audience.

thanks
k

MarkusM
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
If you don't know... then don't assume. Find out. There's enough rumours as is.

Emrys
05-04-2005, 06:11 PM
and dreamworks made a movie with a good plot, when?!

Prince of Egypt :thumbsup:... everything else :shrug:.

Having said that though, I will probably go see it on the off chance that Seinfeld's humour actually comes through in this. Lets hope it's not as relient on popculture as Shark Tale was...

M

AWAKE
05-04-2005, 06:17 PM

M

I'm not sure who got credit for the story on that one.....

ambient-whisper
05-04-2005, 10:30 PM

Having said that though, I will probably go see it on the off chance that Seinfeld's humour actually comes through in this. Lets hope it's not as relient on popculture as Shark Tale was...

M

yeah completely forgot about that one. loved it.

agreenster
05-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Madagascar will be the big test in my opinion. I think Dreamworks' reputation is riding on that film. Sure, Shrek was great, but Shark Tale was abysmal. I have high hopes for Madagascar...

Kimotion
05-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I saw a press screening of Madagascar last night and it was amazing! Light years better than Shark Tale, Robots and even Shrek. Hopefully this will be a signal of a trend for Dreamworks: to raise the bar on each successive CG animated movie. The animation was absolutely amazing. It fit the style and the snappiness of the story. What I noticed was that it was so snappy, and if you blick you'd miss a movement. I've never seen anything like this done so well without being jarring.

So back to Bee Movie: because of Madagascar, the bar has been raised.

SheepFactory
05-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Madagascar was the best dreamworks movie I have seen.

Emrys
05-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Perhaps I'm being a little too old school here, but isn't Madagascar made by what once was PDI? I know they're all rolled under the same banner these days, but all the movies that come out of the Dreamworks stable that I like are made by the ex-PDI crew. PoE being the exception.

PDI : Antz, Shrek, Shrek2, Madagascar.
Dreamworks : Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado, Spirit, Shark Tale.

I may have missed some, but it seems the ones that come out of the Bay Area are of a much higher caliber than the ones made in the Valley :). Perhaps it's the locations...

M

MarkusM
05-05-2005, 02:33 AM
Without saying too much I can say that Madagascar had artists both north and south (Redwood City and Glendale).

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 03:41 AM
Without saying too much I can say that Madagascar had artists both north and south (Redwood City and Glendale).

You don't have to say too much. It's already known that Mad was mostly produced up North. There were a few exceptions, but most of the production was done at PDI.

-M

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 03:42 AM
Madagascar was the best dreamworks movie I have seen.

Really?

Hmm.. ;)

-M

SheepFactory
05-05-2005, 03:56 AM
yes really. why the hmm? :)

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 04:03 AM
yes really. why the hmm? :)

It's just that that's not what I heard.. but I haven't seen the movie in it's entirety so I can't really make any personal opinions yet.

I'll get more info on it after the screening for all the PDI folks this Saturday.. ;)

-M

SheepFactory
05-05-2005, 04:30 AM
you probably got word from the 40 minute screening. The movie in its entirety is excellent , i know for a fact that everyone at the press screening loved it judging from the laughs and the hearty applause at the end.

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 04:34 AM
you probably got word from the 40 minute screening. The movie in its entirety is excellent , i know for a fact that everyone at the press screening loved it judging from the laughs and the hearty applause at the end.

No, actually I got word from some of my fellow ex-coworkers. ;)

Your words sound promising. As long as there's no pop culture jokes, I'll be happy with it.

-M

My Fault
05-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Glad to hear Madagascar was fun Ali and Jeff...... though is it wrong to want to slap you both silly for getting to see it and I didn't??? :scream:

SheepFactory
05-05-2005, 04:40 AM
There are pop culture jokes , a lot of em actually. But trust me they are not annoying like in shark tale. I hate pop culture jokes more than anyone and it didnt made me roll my eyes like in shrek or shark tale.

Brian it'll be worth the wait man :) , we should do another get together and go see it all together.

My Fault
05-05-2005, 04:49 AM
There are pop culture jokes , a lot of em actually. But trust me they are not annoying like in shark tale. I hate pop culture jokes more than anyone and it didnt made me roll my eyes like in shrek or shark tale.

Brian it'll be worth the wait man :) , we should do another get together and go see it all together.

Wooo, sounds like fun!

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 05:14 AM

Uuuggh. :(

It's not that it will be better than SharkTale (Robots was better). It's just that pop culture jokes in CG features are just tired and old and detract the viewer away from the effect of the storyline significantly...

-M

beaker
05-05-2005, 10:55 AM
You don't have to say too much. It's already known that Mad was mostly produced up North. There were a few exceptions, but most of the production was done at PDI.

-MAround 80-100 artist in Glendale worked on Mad.

beaker
05-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Perhaps I'm being a little too old school here, but isn't Madagascar made by what once was PDI? I know they're all rolled under the same banner these days, but all the movies that come out of the Dreamworks stable that I like are made by the ex-PDI crew. PoE being the exception.

PDI : Antz, Shrek, Shrek2, Madagascar.
Dreamworks : Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado, Spirit, Shark Tale.

I may have missed some, but it seems the ones that come out of the Bay Area are of a much higher caliber than the ones made in the Valley :). Perhaps it's the locations...

MI wish people would stop talking about PDI as if it was a different company. It's all the same people. People in Glendale work on much of the movies done up North. Internally they don't even call it PDI, they just call it Redwood City. Most of the best animation in Shrek 2 was done in Glendale. Also many from up north have moved south and vice versa. The animation biz is really small, it's all the same people.

Fasty
05-05-2005, 11:34 AM
What's with the massive hang-up about pop-culture references? Or is it just when Dreamworks do pop-culture references? I don't see any hate towards old Bugs Bunny cartoons :hmm:

Anyway back on topic I'm really looking forward to this film! Oh wait, I've already said that.

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Around 80-100 artist in Glendale worked on Mad.

They must've worked on Mad for a very short time. Most of the development was done up in Redwood City.

Basically if you were to divide a piece of pie based on the amount of work done to get Mad finished, the Redwood City crew would have the bigger piece (> 50%).

-M

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I wish people would stop talking about PDI as if it was a different company. It's all the same people. People in Glendale work on much of the movies done up North. Internally they don't even call it PDI, they just call it Redwood City. Most of the best animation in Shrek 2 was done in Glendale. Also many from up north have moved south and vice versa. The animation biz is really small, it's all the same people.

It may be all the same people (yes, they do move from north-south and vice-versa), but you can't deny that their work environments are different. The core technology crew for the PDI software is still in Redwood City (which Glendale is now migrating to). There are more people that are experienced with the PDI pipeline in Redwood City as opposed to Glendale. However, there are more generalists in Glendale (artists knowing Mental Ray, Renderman, etc..). - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-M

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 03:29 PM
What's with the massive hang-up about pop-culture references? Or is it just when Dreamworks do pop-culture references?

It's when any CG comes up with pop culture jokes. I cringed at Robots with the Britney Spears gag along with some of the other jokes.

Here's the hangup: There is no originality with pop culture jokes.

Look at *all* the Pixar films - none of them have pop culture jokes and yet, the jokes they do have really stand up well.

-M

Ryan-B
05-05-2005, 04:45 PM
It's when any CG comes up with pop culture jokes. I cringed at Robots with the Britney Spears gag along with some of the other jokes.

Here's the hangup: There is no originality with pop culture jokes.

Look at *all* the Pixar films - none of them have pop culture jokes and yet, the jokes they do have really stand up well.

-M

Toy Story 2 has references to Star Wars and also features a Barbie doll as a character.

Shaderhacker
05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Toy Story 2 has references to Star Wars and also features a Barbie doll as a character.

Oops, I forgot about that. Nevertheless, it's not original. Toy Story 2 also didn't have the entire movie flooded with this kind of pop culture stuff, so it's hardly tiresome.

-M

mgarward
05-05-2005, 05:57 PM
But I think the difference is that the Barbie doll wasn't a joke in itself, just for being there. It was what the Barbies were doing that made them funny, and that wasn't a reference to, say, the latest dance moves.

Pixar has often done movie references (The Shining and The Birds, and violins from Psycho in 'Finding Nemo'; Star Wars was referenced in the first Toy Story as well) but they are done in a way that makes them funny without knowing the reference, and funnier if you do. I think the argument here is against making references to something like Britney Spears or American Idol, which are much more fleeting and will be forgotten soon, and only the reference itself is supposed to be funny. Someone mentioned the classic Warner Bros. cartoons which had the stars of the day caricatured, making appearances. They were often done in a "look, here's Big Star A! Ha ha!" way, and since I didn't know who they were (though maybe now I would), I didn't find them funny. I think even the Genie in Aladdin will date in the same way over time.

worker_bee
05-05-2005, 06:27 PM
It may be all the same people (yes, they do move from north-south and vice-versa), but you can't deny that their work environments are different. The core technology crew for the PDI software is still in Redwood City (which Glendale is now migrating to). There are more people that are experienced with the PDI pipeline in Redwood City as opposed to Glendale. However, there are more generalists in Glendale (artists knowing Mental Ray, Renderman, etc..). - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-M

Alot of the Redwood city people are now down at Glendale and they have already migrated to PDI software. Sharktale was the last non-PDI show. There were around 100 people working on it in glendale and quite a bit were on for a year or so. Only a handful were on it the last few months. The same is being done for other shows at Dreamworks. Instead of hiring and firing people they just use people from North or South when they need them.

Shaderhacker
05-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Alot of the Redwood city people are now down at Glendale and they have already migrated to PDI software. Sharktale was the last non-PDI show. There were around 100 people working on it in glendale and quite a bit were on for a year or so. Only a handful were on it the last few months. The same is being done for other shows at Dreamworks. Instead of hiring and firing people they just use people from North or South when they need them.

True, I agree. In fact, that's what makes me hate Dreamworks' business practices (the hiring-then-fire mentality).

Yes, most of the shows will use the PDI-pipe from here on out, but Mad is still PDI's movie dude. Just like Over the Hedge and Flushed Away is going to be Dreamworks' movie and not PDI's.

-M

c-g
05-09-2005, 01:15 AM

Good thing they don't make toys based around either of those. :)

beaker
05-09-2005, 01:42 AM
True, I agree. In fact, that's what makes me hate Dreamworks' business practices (the hiring-then-fire mentality).So in reality you hate the whole industry's business practices, because this is a industry wide trend. I don't know a single company that doesn't have a small core group of employees, and then lots and lots of project hires. Everyone lays off most project hires if there isn't another job to roll people on after the current one is finished. You can't pay people to sit on their asses not doing any work. Maybe Disney lazy work attitude has gotten to your brain :) :) :)

MarkusM
05-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Shaderhacker, I think you missed the point. The idea is that there won't be "hire and fire". Why would you look at DW as the posterchild for that since there's clearly other companies that do that as a business model, and DW tries not to. Ultimattely any company which can't control their project's schedules in a way that allows for continuous work will need to expand and shrink. I think all companies agree that it is not optimal but necessary if that's the case.

We could get into a long argument about what is done north and south on a film at DreamWorks, and I don't necessarily want to. I think you have a point, but not to the degree that you probably think you do.

Peace out.

Emrys
05-09-2005, 06:14 AM
I wish people would stop talking about PDI as if it was a different company. It's all the same people. People in Glendale work on much of the movies done up North. Internally they don't even call it PDI, they just call it Redwood City. Most of the best animation in Shrek 2 was done in Glendale. Also many from up north have moved south and vice versa. The animation biz is really small, it's all the same people.

I kinda fell back a couple pages :)... but I hope no-one took it that I was commenting on the quality of the animation coming out of both places. I think the quality is superb on all of those movies I listed. Definitely among the best.
I just think the stories that come out of the north have a little more substance to them. Perhaps it's down to the different production (meaning, writers/producers etc.) teams.

Anyway, it's really a moot point, just thought I'd clarify what I meant.

Cheers
M

EpShot
05-09-2005, 09:09 AM
*cough*So in reality you hate the whole industry's business practices, because this is a industry wide trend. I don't know a single company that doesn't have a small core group of employees, and then lots and lots of project hires. Everyone lays off most project hires if there isn't another job to roll people on after the current one is finished. You can't pay people to sit on their asses not doing any work. Maybe Disney lazy work attitude has gotten to your brain :) :) :)

*cough*

Shaderhacker
05-09-2005, 05:49 PM
So in reality you hate the whole industry's business practices, because this is a industry wide trend.

No. The problem is that the larger and more stable companies aren't struggling from project to project. Dreamworks has been known to layoff employees only to rehire new ones of the same position 2-3 weeks later. For example, let's say a person is a Lighter. He works on a show, and then finds out he's getting laid off. He leaves the company and then 2 weeks later he sees that Dreamworks is looking for Lighters. That's weak. And most companies don't do that. If they don't need the positions, typically a company will have no work for these non-needed positions for several months till a new project comes online.

I don't know a single company that doesn't have a small core group of employees, and then lots and lots of project hires. Everyone lays off most project hires if there isn't another job to roll people on after the current one is finished.

See above for my explanation of this.

You can't pay people to sit on their asses not doing any work. Maybe Disney lazy work attitude has gotten to your brain :) :) :)

You don't know where I work so don't assume anything (especially since I don't know you). Also, don't assume that I stand up for a particular company's work ethics just because I like their work or am employeed by a particular company.

-M

Shaderhacker
05-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Shaderhacker, I think you missed the point. The idea is that there won't be "hire and fire". Why would you look at DW as the posterchild for that since there's clearly other companies that do that as a business model, and DW tries not to. Ultimattely any company which can't control their project's schedules in a way that allows for continuous work will need to expand and shrink. I think all companies agree that it is not optimal but necessary if that's the case.

This is only the fault of the company. Blue Sky made this mistake before, but only once. Pixar never made this mistake. And we all know that Sony is on a temp contract basis anyway (well, even their full-time staff gets the boot sometimes). The point is: make the project schedule mistake once not after every show (which seems to be Dreamworks' trend).

We could get into a long argument about what is done north and south on a film at DreamWorks, and I don't necessarily want to. I think you have a point, but not to the degree that you probably think you do.

Since we both seemed to have worked their at one point in time, we will each have our own opinions so I agree we should let it rest.

Cheers,

-M

squidGirl
05-09-2005, 06:32 PM

While it is true that both Glendale and Redwood city worked on both Shrek2 and Madgascar, I think it would be misleading to say that Glendale did the "best" animation on Shrek2. Anyone who would be knowledgable enough to say such thing, is either being discourteous or trying to inflate his/her own ablities. Both teams did amazing work, and equally there were shots done from both teams that were not quite up to par. You can't really compare and say one did better than the other.

beaker
05-09-2005, 07:13 PM
No. The problem is that the larger and more stable companies aren't struggling from project to project. Dreamworks has been known to layoff employees only to rehire new ones of the same position 2-3 weeks later. For example, let's say a person is a Lighter. He works on a show, and then finds out he's getting laid off. He leaves the company and then 2 weeks later he sees that Dreamworks is looking for Lighters. That's weak. And most companies don't do that. If they don't need the positions, typically a company will have no work for these non-needed positions for several months till a new project comes online. That is a pretty typical way to get rid of bad employees at most companies. After finishing a project, that is the best time to flush dead weight. It is much harder to get rid of them during the run of the project. Especially at bigger companies, they hire a lot more people based simply on the resume since HR people just need to fill seats. So bad employees with a few movies under their belts can find their way into the system much easier. Also it could be as simple as a conflict with your Cgsupe or lead so you get a crappy review so HR doesn't rehire you. So I have to disagree, most companies do this just type of thing just like DW.

Shaderhacker
05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
That is a pretty typical way to get rid of bad employees at most companies. After finishing a project, that is the best time to flush dead weight. It is much harder to get rid of them during the run of the project. Especially at bigger companies, they hire a lot more people based simply on the resume since HR people just need to fill seats. So bad employees with a few movies under their belts can find their way into the system much easier. Also it could be as simple as a conflict with your Cgsupe or lead so you get a crappy review so HR doesn't rehire you.

You would be correct, but the number of people from show-to-show is significant. We aren't talking a few scattered employees here. We are talking 1/3 of the staff for each department! Having said that, I'll disagree with your disagreement. :)

, most companies do this just type of thing just like DW.

True to an extent...but not nearly the amount of staff as Dreamworks. You think that every employee at Pixar, Disney, ILM, or Blue Sky is awesome??? Certainly not. Yet, there are never big layoffs from those companies. Even some of the smaller ones dont' have it like R&H and Tippett Studio.

I don't know your background of what companies you've worked for, but coming from where I came, I just don't see what you see.

-M

worker_bee
05-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Talk about hire and refire. Lets see. Disney Orlando fires everyone one week including cg artists. Then decides oops lets rehire them. So they did rehire a few but alot went to competiting companies. They close Florida then oops again they decide to open a new studio called the sequel lab aka Pixar'nt and have the same guy run that company that ran the Orlando one. Smart

Shaderhacker
05-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Talk about hire and refire. Lets see. Disney Orlando fires everyone one week including cg artists. Then decides oops lets rehire them. So they did rehire a few but alot went to competiting companies. They close Florida then oops again they decide to open a new studio called the sequel lab aka Pixar'nt and have the same guy run that company that ran the Orlando one. Smart

Yeap. Dumb move, but it happened once. Fox did a similiar thing to Blue Sky. "Let's hire people and open 2 animation divisions. Oops, Titan A.E. didn't do well, let's close that studio and lets some people go to Blue Sky. Oh, btw, we won't pour any money to support Robots until Ice Age does well. Sorry about the gap time.. but we must be sure...... Ice Age did very well!! Congrats! Now let's try to hire back again for Robots.. how many did we lose on that last layoff? 60% of the staff???"

I guess that's better than.."Well, let's see Shrek 2 did excellent, and Mad is needed for a rampup, so let's layoff 30% of all staff and rehire new blood for Mad. Mad is finished now.. let's do the same thing for Shrek 3....oh, and let's do it for our Flushed Away people too.....in fact, after every movie release, we'll refresh our staff.."

-M

beaker
05-09-2005, 11:24 PM
True to an extent...but not nearly the amount of staff as Dreamworks. You think that every employee at Pixar, Disney, ILM, or Blue Sky is awesome??? Certainly not. Yet, there are never big layoffs from those companies. Even some of the smaller ones dont' have it like R&H and Tippett Studio.Pixar had a layoff after Incredibles finished. ILM had a huge layoff last summer after Van Helsing and a bunch of other shows finished(3-400 people). R&H had a huge layoff last summer because they had 4 big shows going on at the same time(scooby 2, garfield, riddick, 80 days) and Narnia wasn't going into full swing till fall. They laid off over 2/3 of their staff. It was nice that you were well employed last summer, but it was pretty dry out and almost everyone laid off over 1/2 their employees last May/June.

You have to be joking about Disney, they layed off over a 1500 people in the last 5 years since they closed down 2d and started up 3d(again). Oh, did we forget about the Dream Quest Images/Secret Lab and the 700 people working on Dinosaur when it finished? Disney hasn't laid off many 3d people lately because they are just about to release their first full cgi movie this fall. Atleast DW was kind enough to hire a bunch of their old 2d artists and retrain them as 3d animators.

Please stop playing the blind man. I'm not saying DW is any better, but don't claim that no one else ever does the same thing as them. Project hires is the way of life the entire film biz works. This is not unique to cgi production. It is the way things are, get used to it or get out of the kitchen. Go work in web design or for a laywer doing court animation if you want steady work at a company for 20 years.

Shaderhacker
05-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Pixar had a layoff after Incredibles finished.

Oh really? I guess you know cause you was there right?

ILM had a huge layoff last summer after Van Helsing and a bunch of other shows finished(3-400 people). R&H had a huge layoff last summer because they had 4 big shows going on at the same time(scooby 2, garfield, riddick, 80 days) and Narnia wasn't going into full swing till fall. They laid off over 2/3 of their staff. It was nice that you were well employed last summer, but it was pretty dry out and almost everyone laid off over 1/2 their employees last May/June.

You have to be joking about Disney, they layed off over a 1500 people in the last 5 years since they closed down 2d and started up 3d(again). Oh, did we forget about the Dream Quest Images/Secret Lab and the 700 people working on Dinosaur when it finished? Disney hasn't laid off many 3d people lately because they are just about to release their first full cgi movie this fall. Atleast DW was kind enough to hire a bunch of their old 2d artists and retrain them as 3d animators.

Everything you are saying is because of schedules or lack of work or decisions to close down a studio. This is not the point here. The point is if you HAVE the productions and the money, why layoff just to refresh your staff?

Please stop playing the blind man. I'm not saying DW is any better, but don't claim that no one else ever does the same thing as them. Project hires is the way of life the entire film biz works. This is not unique to cgi production. It is the way things are, get used to it or get out of the kitchen. Go work in web design or for a laywer doing court animation if you want steady work at a company for 20 years.

Wow, a compositor from a company called Asylum telling me what to do. Dude you have no idea what I've been through nor the right to tell me what to deal with in this industry. I've been too many places and have seen too many things to have your attitude about this industry. I believe this industry can be stable and I've seen it this way. There are several people I know that have been at one company for many many years (over 10). It can be done. I'm not a single freelancer that can just move along the waves like the industry wants. And I certainly don't have to accept bad business practices from large companies just because of the phylosophy that that's just the way the industry is...

-M

beaker
05-10-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just stating how it is in the industry, nothing more, nothing less. Yes there are a few who stay at companies for 5-10 years, but for the most part, over 3/4 of the people in this industry have to take it as a fact that they need to deal with the ever moving wave of work as it goes. It works the same way if you were a grip, gaffer, PA, etc... in the regular film biz.

It seems like you took my little pot shot across disney's bow personally. Dude, you have to admit that from all the studios you have worked at the disney is just about the laziest and slowest working ones one out there. You can't take my statements personally. They were about the industry and companies out there not you.

kevan
05-10-2005, 01:29 AM
Oh really? I guess you know cause you was there right?

Wow, a compositor from a company called Asylum telling me what to do.

Please could you cease addressing people in this manner? There's really no need to be combative, and it doesn't really get anyone anywhere.

Shaderhacker
05-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Please could you cease addressing people in this manner? There's really no need to be combative, and it doesn't really get anyone anywhere.

I'm finished here.

-M

jeremybirn
05-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Pixar had a layoff after Incredibles finished.

Funny, I didn't notice that. I thought Pixar was hiring and expanding during the year that different departments wrapped Incredibles and transitioned into Cars and other projects.

-jeremy

Gentrifier
05-10-2005, 06:39 AM
I'm finished here.

-M

None too soon, bud. Go back to animationnation and grind your axe over there.

Gentrifier.

MJV
05-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Anything co authored by Jerry Seinfeld starring the voices of Jerry Seinfeld and Renee Zelweger sounds like it's off to a great start to me. I like just about everything that Dreamworks does so I'll definitely look forward to this one.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 06:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.