PDA

View Full Version : Some Modeling Help

Kaiser_Sose
10-06-2002, 09:55 AM
I am trying to complete my dino with just a side reference and I have run into a little problem I would apreciate some help with

The problem is that I modeled the front leg and now am ready to weld it to the body but it seems like that the leg is to far from the body so when I weld it it looks kinda wierd

Since I only have a side photo that is all I can go by

If you look at the photo you will see that the front leg is directly in front of the back leg, I am ussuming this is correct in reality but not sure, and that it is some distance from the body

You can also see the funky welded leg

http://home.socal.rr.com/mb18/dino_frontleg.jpg

What should I do

Build the body out more ... but I allready think it is to wide

Move the leg in more

Leave it the way it is but tweak the leg to flow differently, I dont know

I would apreciate any help

Hamlet_PURe
10-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Maybe you should look at this

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/dino/index.html

Hope it helps.

yon dabuda
10-06-2002, 11:29 AM
show us your reference image, also show a side view of the model. and i would even post the model for the help.

takkun
10-06-2002, 11:34 AM
You just need more reference. I did a search in Google for Apatosaurus and came up with about 730 images. It might be hard finding a front view that you can use as a background but I found a lot of 3 quarter views that gave a lot more information of the shape and position of the legs and body. Also there are about a million books about dinosaurs, go to a library or bookstore and I'm sure you'll find more reference.

And, just out of curiosity, why did you decide to model the legs from the ground up instead of beveling out from the body?

yon dabuda
10-06-2002, 11:44 AM
yeh, its a very "nurby" approach to sub-d'ing. you already have way too much geometry for the simple shape. try starting with a cube and use tools like magic bevel, bevel, smooth shift. that way you can work with symmetry and get a better idea of the whole model. this is the part about having "strategy." :) it helps you model more effectively.

yon dabuda
10-06-2002, 12:09 PM
here, i even spent a few minutes to create this for you. *started with a box, used magic bevel on the neck, on the legs and on the tail with some taper. froze the model at a subpatch level 2. adjusted points. done. quick, easy, managable object to work with.

yon dabuda
10-06-2002, 12:10 PM
and here be the file, i even spun a quad or two.

DigitalDeuce
10-06-2002, 01:09 PM
Hmmmm -- that dino looks familiar!

hehehe -- it's fun, don't know if you saw my tute to do that very thing, or if you did it on your own, but I have felt it's a better "show" of a use for magic bevel than doing trees or motor neurons.

:applause: :applause:

proton
10-06-2002, 04:15 PM
Your tut rox Deuce....but u forgot to link to it:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/magic-bevel/index.html

DigitalDeuce
10-06-2002, 04:17 PM
oops!

:beer:

Thanks Proton!!

Cman
10-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose

What should I do

Build the body out more ... but I allready think it is to wide

Move the leg in more

Leave it the way it is but tweak the leg to flow differently, I dont know

I would apreciate any help

I'd say the head may have too much detail and in the wrong places at this point.
Without seeing any images I'd suggest moving the front legs in. Most animal's forelegs are smaller and closer together than hindlegs.

:shrug:

Kaiser_Sose
10-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the replies however I am trying to do this realistic as I can

Here is the side view

Kaiser_Sose
10-06-2002, 05:07 PM
yon,

here is the file

If there is a solution, great, otherwise I will find another way

proton
10-06-2002, 05:07 PM
This should be perfectfor you....

Kaiser_Sose
10-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by proton
This should be perfectfor you....

Ya, I know about that tutorial, it was posted a few weaks ago and if I recall correctly it had some quirks in it which you said will be updated

Anyways, I am going to have a similar problem if I build out with smooth shift or otherwise because in order to match the back leg, which is in line pretty good, I am goung to have a over grown shoulder area too

yon dabuda
10-06-2002, 10:49 PM
you have the legs straight like an elephant, and have no mass for the thighs and shoulder. thats why its weird. i only tinkered a little, you should make the thighs bigger and more tappered

Kaiser_Sose
10-07-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by yon dabuda
you have the legs straight like an elephant, and have no mass for the thighs and shoulder. thats why its weird. i only tinkered a little, you should make the thighs bigger and more tappered

Thanks for the time you took

What did you do to get the the front leg in line with back without that funky shoulder problem I posted

I see what you are saying but from the side it matches the background image pretty well

It is really hard to get this stuff when you have literally fifteen minutes a day to be at the computer

proton
10-07-2002, 05:14 AM
you only have 15 minutes a day to be on teh computer and you still have time to do all tehposts you do :surprised

How do you squeeze in LW time:D

DigitalDeuce
10-07-2002, 05:19 AM
What you need to try to do -- I don't know if your LightWave machine is at home or work -- but set aside a few hours on the weekend or something.

Really seems almost that you're trying to do too much at one time. This is like any art -- it takes practice and no one will get good with only 15 minutes a day.

Kinda reminds me of guys who would tell me that they wished they could play golf like Tiger Woods. Then they tell me that they only play a round or two every other month.

Seriously, and I'm not preaching, and I hope you take this the right way, the way that I intend.

Take it slow, you have the drive -- you'll get there -- just don't rush it.

:applause:

proton
10-07-2002, 05:23 AM
agreed....You should pick one project and stick to it until it is 100% completed....I think your eagerness to learn is great.......but try and do one thing at a time or you will wind up very frustrated....You have the drive and that's all it takes....now you just need to apply it all to one area....maybe start with this dino model....good luck!

Kaiser_Sose
10-07-2002, 06:44 AM
No offense taken and believe me you are not the first people to tell me to slow down and learn things slower

I might have exagerated a bit ... I usually have more than fifteen minutes and more towards an hour until I physicaly have to get off the computer

I am not at the best of health and I am under a Doctors care and I am going through something now that is not to fun

If you notice the times of day I post is late at night here in LA

dobermunk
10-07-2002, 07:09 AM
What you've modeled uyp to now is a good way of getting volume cleared up. Once you're happy with volume and form, particulalry after mirroring the mass (it looks different when both sides are there, trust me) then put it in a background layer and start with the contours of your model sheet.

Just look at the shoulder area, there's alot more going on there then you're going to get from smooth shifting and cutting. Create Bands of geometry to follow the contours.

Kaiser_Sose
10-08-2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by dobermunk
What you've modeled uyp to now is a good way of getting volume cleared up. Once you're happy with volume and form, particulalry after mirroring the mass (it looks different when both sides are there, trust me) then put it in a background layer and start with the contours of your model sheet.

Just look at the shoulder area, there's alot more going on there then you're going to get from smooth shifting and cutting. Create Bands of geometry to follow the contours.

Thanks

I kinda understand what you mean ... use bandsaw along the x axis

Kaiser_Sose
11-09-2002, 07:20 AM
Decided to continue from this old thread, so anyways, here I go

I am done with the head and working on fine tuing the body before I move on to add detail

Dose this look wierd

Are the porportions goofy ... I hope not because I am following the one reference I have

Also, for the tale, would it be better if I delete whats there , close it off and then use magic bevel to make a round tail

dobermunk
11-09-2002, 08:26 AM
Very nice! :applause:

comments, Tail looks very thick (mostly wide).

wgreenlee1
11-09-2002, 08:30 AM
Yep,I like this a lot.From the loks of those guides you are making very good use of poly counts but that pink has got to go.Maybe something like tan or....

:thumbsup:

Kaiser_Sose
11-10-2002, 03:51 AM
So you do not think the porportions are goofy and it is to fat

wgreenlee1
11-10-2002, 04:13 AM
No.the legs might be a little too thin but overall looks great.
Once you put bones in him and pose a little more natually then it should look a lot better.

Kaiser_Sose
11-10-2002, 05:20 AM
I guess it was one fat mofo

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Dinogeorge/dino.jpg

ChrisR
11-10-2002, 05:32 AM
Good progress! The head and neck look good. The body seams to be a little on the thick side and a bit too round.

Take a good look at your reference. Notice that the area along the spine is indented. Also take a look at the shoulder and hip area of your reference. Your model blends smoothly into the body where there should be major skeletal structures.

You might want to pull some vertices out in these areas and add some geometry to simulate the shoulder and hips and thicken up the legs. Remeber an animal like this has to support an enormous amount of weight!

Anyway, good start, good progress and good luck. I think you'll end up with a nice model in the end, after which comes the hard part... texturing!

ChrisR
11-10-2002, 05:35 AM
That's a nice sculpt, (Apatasaurus?) and an excellent reference. Again, check out that shoulder and hip detail.

takkun
11-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Just browsing through some sites and I found a japanese LW artist that is working on a dino similar to yours, you can even download the .lwo- go here http://home8.highway.ne.jp/aglwks/ and click on NEW on the side menu.

Mangled Poly
11-16-2002, 09:20 AM
Oh man that ruins all the fun!
Make it better Soze!

takkun
11-16-2002, 09:27 AM
Oh man that ruins all the fun! I thought it would be good to load it into modeler and put it next to his model to compare proportions and use it as reference BUT it seems that he modeled it in some weird program called Hexasuper, http://www.shusaku.co.jp/hexa/super2.html so I lied about downloading the .lwo :D whoops!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.