PDA

View Full Version : Chicago area?

Sequent
04-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Anyone in the Chicago metro area? I'd love to do my share to see if we could get something organized locally.

paperclip
04-30-2005, 01:22 AM
I spend most summers in the lansing area. (I grew up there, moved to Ireland) If you get together some people, I might be able to make it!? Who knows!:thumbsup:

crazy3dman
05-01-2005, 03:13 AM
I know there are a few Chicago area people in here. I'm definitely up for it if we've got enough people interested.

Array
05-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm over in the Northeast suburbs. I would be interested.

pnoland
05-02-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm in Crown Point (IN) pretty close to Chicago. I'm in the city quite a bit with Emisis, we're gonna be at the Double Door thursday night (May 5th). :)

crazy3dman
05-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Alright. This is starting to look promising. Do any of you know anyone else in the area that might be interested?

Taoizm
05-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm about 2 hours away right now in South Bend, IN. Not close enough to be tons of help at the moment, but I'm willing to drive in for any meetings or events.

crazy3dman
05-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Alright! It looks like we've got enough people to do this. Although it would be cool if we could find a few more.

paperclip - when will you be back in town?

Sequent
05-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, I'm surprised there aren't more people. But we have enough maybe to start. We can always meet somewhere in the middle of where everyone seems to be. Otherwise, I don't mind driving to wherever we wind up.

paperclip
05-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Possibly mid july, altho I won't have a car, so it'll have to be accessible by public transport :eek:

crazy3dman
05-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, I'm about an hour west of the city. So, It seems that downtown Chicago somewhere may be our best bet. I'll do a little research to figure out where might be a good place.

Unless anyone else has an idea? Sequent, where are you located?

paperclip - Would you be near a Metra line?

paperclip
05-06-2005, 09:17 AM
I could probably get into Chicago, but it's travelling within Chicago that's the problem. It sounds as if you are going to hold the meeting IN Chicago- I think that's a great idea.

What would we be doing in the meetings though?

crazy3dman
05-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Ha Ha. Good question. I guess that's something we'd better figure out before we schedule a meeting. :)

aaraaf
05-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey there!

THIS is what I was looking for!

I'm on the far north west side (not far from the Jefferson Park station) and commute to the east burbs for work.

Somewhere just outside of Downtown Chicago would be awesome... somewhere parkable?

Just in general, how do these things work? Do we just get together and discuss CG and what we're up to, and crochet pointers... :)

Sequent
05-06-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm in Jefferson Park too. If the meeting is downtown I might just take the train. Otherwise, yes - somewhere parkable.

As to what we do... well what DO we do, lol?

Here are some thoughts... the first meeting we can basically introduce ourselves? Find out what people are up to, where we're coming from, what programs we're using, that kind of thing. Maybe do a little show and tell?

aaraaf
05-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Hey Sequent!

That sounds perfect.

Bring some printouts (for those of us chained to their desktops with no laptops, like me) and some ideas and our always sunny dispositions!!!

I'm sure that once we're face to face we'll all think of plenty to do.

new2LW
05-11-2005, 01:15 AM
Northern IL. Loves park/Rockford area. I've been looking for a 3d group occasionaly for a while now. Nothing in my town as far as 3d goes, I don't think.

Definatly interested in this.

later,
Eric

aaraaf
05-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Well guys,

What's our next step? Are we planning or thinking of meeting monthly, annually?

We should probably get together soon, just to start things up. Anyone got a specific idea for a place?

Since we're a bunch of production people, maybe we need to set a date, and then work to hit that! :thumbsup:

I know that Paperclip (who has AWESOME work all over these forums) maybe can't make it till July. Should we start a little earlier, or wait until then?

Sequent
05-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Maybe we can come up with a very loose agenda and deciding frequency of meetings can be one of the topics that we can discuss. I figure the first time we meet we can get a feel for where people are coming from, what people are working with, what people do, and what people would like to get out of a group meeting.

Regarding frequency... I'm open to whatever the group decides. I can see where maybe monthly meetings might be too frequent? Or perhaps just right? It depends on what people are working on and how busy they are.

Just for the sake of getting things rolling... maybe we can aim for the first weekend of June? Maybe Saturday June 4th? I don't know whether next weekend might be too soon. And the weekend after that is Memorial Day weekend. Personally, I'll be in town, but others might not be.

pnoland
05-13-2005, 10:20 PM
June is pretty fubar for me so I don't know that I'd be able to make it up there much. I got stuck doing all night shifts at work since we're redoing a bunch of garbage in the store. :( I think the only time I"m gonna be in chicago really is for my bands show at the Metro the 25th but that wouldn't be much of a cgtalk meeting at that. :P I'll keep my ears open at work though to see if I can get up there any other day.

crazy3dman
05-14-2005, 04:44 AM
I'll check my schedule and get back to you with some dates that could work. I'll see if that first weekend in June works. Either way, I'm still interested.

new2LW
05-14-2005, 12:35 PM
How about we all meet up and go see Star Wars :)

Well, guess that's a little close but. About places to have a meeting. If someone has a big house that might work. Otherwise, I think a meeting room at say a Holiday Inn would give discounts if we say we needed it once a month due to the fact we'd be returning customers. Course, you might have to talk to the right person and shop around to get best prices. We could really use a room with a projector. And an internet connection.

I think annual meetings would be to far apart. Monthly might be to close. Maybe bimonthly? Or even to start out with so few people we just agree on dates. I think for me, pretty much most of my weekends are open as of right now.

paperclip
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
I know that Paperclip (who has AWESOME work all over these forums) maybe can't make it till July. Should we start a little earlier, or wait until then?

:blush: That's an incredibly gross overstatement but I appreciate it!:D If only...
...ahem.
I came by to tell you guys that unfortunatly I won't be making it to the states this summer, but I'll keep you posted for any future meet ups.

new2LW
05-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Wow, did you guys see the agenda for the first meeting of the Australian chapter O.o

Agenda*
- The CGSociety Launch, Announcements, Keynote and Chapter Formation – Mark Snoswell and Leonard Teo
- The Making of EXPOSE’ 3 – Daniel Wade
- D’artiste Character Modeling and Matte Painting Preview – Mark Snoswell
- CGWorkshops Update – Leonard Teo
- CGPrints Preview – Leonard Teo
- Q&A Session

Now that's an agenda! I'd be happy with our chapter if we got everyone in the same room eating chips and dip and watching TV. :D

aaraaf
05-18-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm with you New2LW!

There are quite a few coffee shops in the near north area, and quite a few places near Clark and Diversy that are pretty easy to get to by car, bus or train. I know that we were talking about doing something larger and more official, but a quick start might be more to our advantage.

AkaKico
05-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone!
I'm a bit south in the town of Crete, I just recently started working in Burr Ridge. Always cool to hear of people in the area. (BTW, Starwars rocked so good, can't wait to see it again)

Sequent
05-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I think small and casual is a good way to go. There's no way we're going to match the Australian chapter's agenda! Unless we can get Mark and Leonard to drop by. :)

A coffee shop sounds okay to me.

Also, if June doesn't work I personally don't mind waiting until July. Whatever the consensus is...

Can you believe June is only a week or so away?

AkaKico
05-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Here are some thoughts... the first meeting we can basically introduce ourselves? Find out what people are up to, where we're coming from, what programs we're using, that kind of thing. Maybe do a little show and tell?

This sounds really good, it would be awesome to be involved in a face to face community. I for one can make it to the city, I just don't know my way around it too well. Look forward to hearing some plans solidify.

crazy3dman
05-25-2005, 06:46 AM
A coffee shop would be great for a first meeting. Just for an initial meet and greet. Lots of great coffee shops around the Lincoln Park/Lake View area. Could everyone make it to that area? I'm going to be working a freelance job downtown for the next couple months so I can get up there pretty easily. June 4 won't work for me, but other than that I'm pretty open. If the area will work for everyone (for this first meeting anyway), I could scout it out and find a coffee shop. Since everyone is so spread out, maybe we could have each meeting in a different part of the Chicago/NW Indiana area.

aaraaf
05-25-2005, 02:11 PM
How about we shoot for June 18th for our first quick get together...

crazy3dman can find a spot in the areas he's talking about. I know I can get there, and those areas are pretty accessible from public transportation.

As for time... is earlier, mid day, or later better for everyone? I'm an early bird... but it doesn't matter one way or the other... or the last one either... errrr... :)

AkaKico
05-25-2005, 02:27 PM
I like the sounds of the 18th personally. Whatever time works for everyone else should work for me.

Chris

Alan Lastufka
06-01-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm in the Joliet/Lockport/Manhattan area. Absolutely nothing around here as far as 3D goes - but ChiTown is only a 55 minute drive.

crazy3dman
06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
I'd be glad to help move this along if no one objects.

How about if we say the 18th? Everyone post a reply and let me know if the 18th will work for you. I'll start a list. If we can get at least 5 people, I say lets do it. And don't worry if you can't make the first one. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

I'll be downtown the rest of this week, so I'll scout around a little and find a coffee shop that would work. I'll look for something close to the "L" I'm thinking up on the northside somewhere for this first one.

Since it looks like we are going to have people from all over the area, it might work out nicely if each meeting is in a different part of the Chicago area. You know, one time up north, the next time down south, then in NW Indiana, etc. Just a thought.

I was thinking it might be cool if everyone brings just 1 or 2 samples of their work. Not a whole portfolio, but just a couple pieces to give everyone else an idea of what you do, and give us all somewhere to start talking.

Anyway, let's see if we've got enough people.

Taoizm
06-01-2005, 03:54 PM
I think I will actually be in Chicago on that day. So that's a happy coincidence. My morning is looking to be booked, so something more in the afternoon would work out better for me. So if that's doable count me in. (I could probably get 3-4 others to join us as well. I'll know better once a location and time are setup.)

AkaKico
06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
I like the 18th, I think I have th whole thing open. And I know my way around the L okay so that's all the better. Thanks for kick starting the thread crazy3dman, didn't want to see it die.
I'm in.

Chris

aaraaf
06-01-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm in.

If only the afternoon works for Taoizm, and no one else has any other needs for time, will that work?

And hey! Thanks Crazy3dman for getting this organized and jump started a bit.

crazy3dman
06-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Afternoon works for me too. Taoizm, what time in the afternoon will you be available?

I'm going to scope out a couple places tomorrow(thursday). Do you all trust me to pick a place? Once I find a place, I'll post a map.

AkaKico
06-02-2005, 03:10 AM
I like the sound of that. :thumbsup:

Taoizm
06-02-2005, 02:09 PM
@crazy3dman

I think just any time in the general afternoon would work for me. Thanks for taking the reins on this.

Tony

crazy3dman
06-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I found a place that I think should work. Kind of a coffe shop/diner. I'm on a job right now, so I'll post all the info tonight.

Sequent
06-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey Alan, small world and good to see you here. So, maybe we'll have a chance to meet in person.

...I'm also on the BelaD forum and on the Writing for Strings forum... (thanks for the music box samples btw... very nice!)

Wes

I'm in the Joliet/Lockport/Manhattan area. Absolutely nothing around here as far as 3D goes - but ChiTown is only a 55 minute drive.

Sequent
06-03-2005, 10:10 PM
The 18th works for me too. Later in the afternoon is fine too.

If we're going to be in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area, let's also be aware of any Cubs games going on that day. We'll probably want to avoid those mad crowds... both on the el and driving.

...not to mention parking regulations on Lakeview sidestreets east of Ashland Ave. Anyone who's from out of town and who drives in will want to be especially careful of that.

Sequent
06-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Chris, thank you for being our location scout!

I found a place that I think should work. Kind of a coffe shop/diner. I'm on a job right now, so I'll post all the info tonight.

crazy3dman
06-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Sequent, good thinking on the Cubs game. I checked their schedule, and they are away that day. So we don't have to worry about that congestion. applause:

The place I'm think we could meet at is right off the Belmont El stop. More info tonight. :) :

Sequent
06-04-2005, 02:58 AM
Good news re the Cubs...

The area around the Belmont el has lots of great places. Can't wait to find out which one you have in mind, Chris!

crazy3dman
06-06-2005, 03:20 AM
OK, sorry it took so long to get the info up. Busy weekend.
Anyway, the place is called Clarke's it's at 930 W. Belmont.
You can take the red line or the brown line to the Belmont stop.
When you come out the station door and look across the street just a little to the east, this should be what you see.
http://www.crazy3dman.com/clarkes.jpg
Nothing fancy, just a cool little 24 hour coffee shop.
How does 3:00 sound? That way, if we all end up hating each other, we can still make it home for dinner,:D and if things go really well and we get talking for a while, and dinner time rolls around, we can get something to eat.

So I guess I'll see you all on June 18th. :)

By the way, if anyone is interested in the group, but just can't make the 18th of June, let me know. I'm going to start a list. Then we can let you know what happens at this meeting, and when the next one might be.

AkaKico
06-06-2005, 05:56 AM
http://www.gadzooksgraphics.com/Chris/Pics/wack.gif Yay! I can't wait! And 3:00 sounds perfect. Let's me stay up all night friday if I want to.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Taoizm
06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Sounds good chris. Barring something weird happening I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Sequent
06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Ditto here... I plan on being there unless something unexpected comes up. Clarke's is a good choice. Never been in there but it looks good... 24 hrs in case we really get into it, eh?

aaraaf
06-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Old high school/college stomping grounds!

I used to spend a lot of time at a cafe right on Clark off of Belmont that went under around the time the Starbucks opened.:shrug:

And Guitar Center used to be right there, as well as a SF book store. All moved and gone now, but there's always Brew & View! Maybe I can stop off at Chicago Comics on the way!

Good choice, Crazy3dman!

AkaKico
06-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Hurray! Looks like we're going to have a decent number of people, mabe a few more will jump in too!

Sequent
06-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Guitar Center is over on Halsted now, a couple blocks south of Diversey. And the Stars Our Destination is long gone. They moved up to Evanston on Main west of Chicago for a while, but a couple years ago they just shut down completely as far as I know.

A trip to Chicago Comics sounds great. I haven't been there in ages... maybe I'll try and pop in there beforehand!

Old high school/college stomping grounds!

I used to spend a lot of time at a cafe right on Clark off of Belmont that went under around the time the Starbucks opened.:shrug:

And Guitar Center used to be right there, as well as a SF book store. All moved and gone now, but there's always Brew & View! Maybe I can stop off at Chicago Comics on the way!

Good choice, Crazy3dman!

AkaKico
06-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Hey I was reading some stuff up on the chapters section,

Let me know if you want to setup a local chapter meeting by emailing me at leonard@ballisticmedia.net. I'll see what I can do. Specifically, I need to know - who you are, what you do, where you are, how many people you have in your vicinity who you can potentially reach. To start off with, we'll probably need at least 5 CGS members in your local Chapter to commit to starting and running the Chapter (at least 4 meetings a year) in order for the Chapter to startup.

Is this something we should do? Or do we wait until we've met and see if we all like eachother first? Just trying to think ahead :)

Chris

crazy3dman
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Hey I was reading some stuff up on the chapters section,

Is this something we should do? Or do we wait until we've met and see if we all like eachother first? Just trying to think ahead :)

Chris

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that I e-mailed Leonard Teo a couple days ago to let him know we were going to have an initial get together. And that we would let him know how it went. Hope you guys don't mind that I did that.

He said that he still has to put together a formal "Chapters Kit" that will outline all the issues involved in starting the chapter up!

So, I think we are set for now.

My thoughts so far are that maybe everyone could bring just a couple little examples of what kind of work they do and maybe, we can spend part of the time talking about what kinds of things we see the chapter doing in the future.

Anyway, that's all for now.

Chris

Sequent
06-12-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm emailing Dan Ablan about our meeting - hope that's okay. He's not currently a CG Society member, but I thought the more the merrier kind of thing.

Dan is the author of Inside Lightwave 3D and Lightwave 8 Killer Tips. Also runs www.3dgarage.com (http://www.3dgarage.com)

crazy3dman
06-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Sequent - Excellent! The more the merrier absolutely!

crazy3dman
06-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Just wanted to check to see if everyone was still planning on being there on Saturday?

How about if we meet out in front of the place? I'll have a black baseball cap on.

If anyone is interested, I'm going to be doing some subway sketching before the meeting.
Here's the info on that.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=248313

See ya saturday!

Taoizm
06-16-2005, 05:16 PM
I will be there, and I'll be wearing....ummm... clothing. (I haven't thought that far ahead.)

crazy3dman
06-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Great! I also will be wearing some type of clothing in addition to the hat. In case you were worried. :D

aaraaf
06-16-2005, 07:57 PM
I'll definitely be there for the Cafe meeting at 3:00.

I'm gonna try and get to the subway sketch at 1:00, but there's something going on at home that might tie that time up.

I'll be the kinda shaggy blond guy... ummmm... I AM the kinda shaggy blond guy, and will continue to be so on Saturday for the meeting. :)

Sequent
06-16-2005, 08:06 PM
I plan on being there too - probably won't make the subway sketch.

AkaKico
06-16-2005, 10:01 PM
I shall be there. Been looking forward to it. I'll have to read up on that subway thing. Haven't had a chance yet.

Later Guys!

Chris

new2LW
06-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Don't think I'm going to make the first one :-/ I need something to focus on while I'm there or I'll just be bored. Going to pick up a laptop soon so I can bring work with.

Stupid question, does this place have a parking lot? If not does it have parking meters? yuk.

Sequent
06-17-2005, 03:16 PM
You haven't even met us and we bore you already? :hmm:

JUST KIDDING!

That area is pretty congested so parking can be kind of difficult. You might be able to find a metered spot. Bring lots of quarters! You might also have more success parking a couple blocks west of there on and along Belmont. The sidestreets have metered parking immediately north and south of Belmont all the way west to Racine. Be careful farther in on the sidestreets in non-metered spots due to Zoned Residential Parking.

You might also have luck on Sheffield north of Belmont.

Don't think I'm going to make the first one :-/ I need something to focus on while I'm there or I'll just be bored. Going to pick up a laptop soon so I can bring work with.

Stupid question, does this place have a parking lot? If not does it have parking meters? yuk.

Taoizm
06-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Kudos to everyone that came out today. It was good to meet some of you face to face. Too bad I had to skip out a little early. I'm looking forward to the next time we line something up.

paperclip
06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Tell me what happened!! How did it turn out? What did you guys do?

I may be along for the 'next' one, depending on when I'm in america.

AkaKico
06-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Well, for the most part we all sat around and chatted for awhile, finding out what everyone else did for a living and anyone who had some work with them passed it around. We talked about some different types of software, and... well a buncha different cg type stuff. 7 people showed up for this meeting, and we had rough plans to try and meet again. Bringing more people next time around. Me and Crazy3Dman (Chris) did the subway sketch group thing, which seems pretty awesome for improving sketching skills. Everyone seemed pretty interested in trying that out. So keep an eye on the Chicago Subway sketch group thread. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=248313)
I took some photos! Post them later :) Good times. Good meeting other people who do this sort of thing. Hope to see you at the next one if you make it to the states!

Chris

crazy3dman
06-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Chris- Check your link to the subway sketch thread. When I click on it I just get
http://showthread.php?t=248313.

It should be

Paperclip - hope you can make the next one. The first one went really well I thought. Like Kico82 said, it was pretty much just a get aquainted meeting, but we were there for 3 hours. I definitely think it could turn into a bigger thing. So keep us up to date on your whereabouts.

Chris

new2LW
06-20-2005, 10:49 PM
What I'm getting at is I don't want to pay for parking and I don't want to walk blocks. I prefer a parking lot. I think it might be easier for some people to get to an area a little outside Chicago, instead of driving straight thru it and dealing with trafic and one ways.

"The brown line" might be easy for people that live in Chicago.

Hope I'm not coming across like a jerk. I probably should have just shut my mouth and come, probably would have had a good time.

Anyway,
later

crazy3dman
06-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Hey new2LW, no sweat. just come to the next on if you can. The more the merrier. Actually as it turnd out, parking wasn't too big of a deal. I found parking just a block away at a meter that cost 25˘ an hour. Hope to see you at the next one. It was fun.

new2LW
06-21-2005, 04:07 AM
Guess a block away isn't bad, thought it'd be farther.

Sequent
06-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Yeah, parking was really good on Saturday. Lots and lots of spaces not too far away. Everyone must have known we were coming! :-)

crazy3dman
07-07-2005, 03:56 AM
Hey everyone, Just thought I'd bump this thing back up to the top and see if anyone had any thoughts on a next meeting. The first one went well I thought. Maybe for the next one, we might want to have more of an agenda, now that we've done the meet and greet thing.

Also, I'm going to do a little cross thread pollination here. Another Chicago Sketch Group day coming up a week from Sunday. Check out the thread for details.

Terro
07-14-2005, 04:54 PM
I should have joined CGS earlier, I could have made the first meeting :( Anyway I'm here now, so let me knowabout the other one. I live in Prospect Heigts and work in Chicago, so anywhere u guys want to meet up is game for me. I would love to meet somre RL people and see what everyone is up too.

Taoizm
07-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey all, sorry about the long delay getting back in here. Between road trips to Memphis, sick ferrets, and quitting my job things have been hetic. We should start looking at another meeting sometime in the near future.

cheers

Sequent
09-01-2005, 05:49 PM
We never did have a second meeting, did we? Or did I miss it?

Maybe we can do something in September?

Also... maybe monthly is too frequent. Maybe bimonthly might be better?

AkaKico
09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Nope, a second meeting never did happen. And I don't know if we really decided to go monthly, just as soon as we could get the people together. I'm up for another meeting. September would be good. Let's see what others think.

Chris

crazy3dman
09-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Any time after the 15th of September would be good for me.

Taoizm
09-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Sorry guys, I fell out of the loop. After the 15th is good for me. In fact I move into the Chicago area on the 10th. (Yes!) Since it's getting nicer outside we might even want to consider gathering somewhere outside (I know, sunlight evil) Then at least we can mingle and move around. That's just my crazy suggestion for the day.

FYI.. I'll be up north in the Evanston area for work, and Buffalo Grove for living. As of now I have no idea where good places to gather are.

AkaKico
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Well, how about the 17th or 24th this month then? Sound off if one of these days works for you. Someone who isn't me should figure out the meeting place. Anywhere near a train works for me!

Chris

Array
09-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Sorry guys, I fell out of the loop. After the 15th is good for me. In fact I move into the Chicago area on the 10th. (Yes!) Since it's getting nicer outside we might even want to consider gathering somewhere outside (I know, sunlight evil) Then at least we can mingle and move around. That's just my crazy suggestion for the day.

FYI.. I'll be up north in the Evanston area for work, and Buffalo Grove for living. As of now I have no idea where good places to gather are.

Where are you working?

Buffalo Grove, eh? You'll be about 5 minutes from where I live, Northbrook. :D

AkaKico
09-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Bump!
We need a plan gentlemen (and any ladies who may be watching in secret).

Yeah...
anybody got a plan?

Taoizm
09-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Where are you working?

Buffalo Grove, eh? You'll be about 5 minutes from where I live, Northbrook. :D

I started up a company with some friends called Illumen Studios. (website forthcoming) We're down on Davis st. in Evanston. Right in the middle of everything. We've been up and running for about a month. (freelancers get your resumes ready!) ;)

If you know where the Metra station is on Deerfield I live in the apts across the street. Whoo, just got moved in this week, and I just got internet back. (Flipping SWEEET!)

Array
09-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I started up a company with some friends called Illumen Studios. (website forthcoming) We're down on Davis st. in Evanston. Right in the middle of everything. We've been up and running for about a month. (freelancers get your resumes ready!) ;)

If you know where the Metra station is on Deerfield I live in the apts across the street. Whoo, just got moved in this week, and I just got internet back. (Flipping SWEEET!)

That sounds very exciting! Congrats!

Maybe I'll stop by there sometime ;)

I live right off of the Dundee West exit off of I-94.

Taoizm
10-04-2005, 02:42 PM
That sounds very exciting! Congrats!

Maybe I'll stop by there sometime ;)

I live right off of the Dundee West exit off of I-94.
Cool, you should swing by the office sometime. I can give you detailed instructions if you're interested. (That's where I spend most of my time. Paying lots of rent on an apt that I'm never at. :D )

Anyone out there still interested in a gathering? I think it's about time. I'd like to find someplace where we could mingle a bit and walk around. I can offer our office as a meeting place, but it is fairly small. (Maybe 10-15 people) If anyone has some ideas let me know.

AkaKico
10-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I am still very interested in trying another gathering. I say we set a time a few weeks from now and figure out a place. Then we'll see how many we can get to go be it with this thread, PM, email, phonecall, or lasso :)
I'm pretty open when it comes to time right now (Expect for sat the 22)

How about sat the 29th early afternoonish?

Chris

new2LW
10-04-2005, 03:40 PM
I need to go to this one. Didn't make the last one :hmm:

Taoizm
10-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Saturdays are pretty good for me so the 29th is fine. Any thoughts on location? I'm still new to the area so I have no idea where anything is except home, work, and Walmart. :)

AkaKico
10-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, having a day is good start :)
Hopefully the 29th will work for some of the others. I really don't know the city well enough to pick a location. Maybe crazy3Dman can pop in with another location suggestion.
Let's get this ball rolling!

Chris

davijin
10-06-2005, 05:09 PM
cool, didnt know about a chicago area CGS, Ill try and make it to this thing.

-dawveed

Taoizm
12-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Wow, this area pretty much died. Well, we have a new year coming up. Is there still interest from anyone in gathering? If so then I'll just set a time, date, and location once we get in Jan and the holidays have passed by.

Any takers?

AkaKico
12-29-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm definitely in. A time and date would be good so that anyone interested can plan accordingly. A place would be good to, but that can wait to see how many might go. Lookin forward to a second meeting.

Chris

crazy3dman
12-29-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm in. Just been too busy to organize anything. Let me know if you want me to do anything to help.

Taoizm
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Excellent, there's still some life here. Crazy3d, I hear you about being busy. Here's where I'm thinking right now. I work in Evanston so really it's the only area I know half way decently. Across the street are both "L" and Metra stations so transportation is availible. (Davis st.) There's also a decent sized coffee house about a block away with free wi-fi and pretty open spaces. Should allow for some mingling, and the usage of laptops if people want.

Cafe Ambrosia
847 328 0081
1620 Orrington Ave
Evanston, IL 60201

Dates I'm looking at Saturdays, Jan 14,21,28

Time probably something more in the afternoon... 2ish

Let me know what you guys think, and I'll announce the final meeting place on Jan6-7th

AkaKico
12-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Personally the 21st sounds good to me. The 28th is my birthday! I didn't know it fell on a sat this year. *Yay!* Local sounds good too. Let's hope this happens :thumbsup:

AkaKico
01-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I was wondering what the general policy is on non-CGS members being involved in these meetings is? We had a few last time did we not? It'd be good to have a nice little crowd I think.

Taoizm
01-03-2006, 07:48 PM
I have no problem at all with it. I'll probably have a flash developer I work with show up. I say more the merrier, and when we get too large then we can think about formalizing it a bit.

crazy3dman
01-06-2006, 03:37 AM
21st or 28th works for me. Can't make it the 14th.

Taoizm
01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok, the final time and place. Whooo

Jan 21st
2:00pm

Cafe Ambrosia
847 328 0081
1620 Orrington Ave
Evanston, IL 60201

Bring demos, business cards, laptops, whatever. I hope to see everyone there. :thumbsup:

AkaKico
01-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm there :beer:

crazy3dman
01-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Any chance we could get a tour of your studio, since we'll be in the area?

Taoizm
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
I think that can be arranged. I'll need two forms of ID and a deposit first though. ;)

crazy3dman
01-06-2006, 09:29 PM
And peolpe will be picked at random and strip searched before being allowed to enter? :p

Taoizm
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
And peolpe will be picked at random and strip searched before being allowed to enter? :p

Nothing random about it. LOL

AkaKico
01-06-2006, 09:42 PM
So we gonna be able to get anybody else involved in this? Seems just to be us three... we gotta contact some of the people from last time, in case they're not checking in here.

jjburton
01-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I didn't know about this thing. I'd like to come but have prior plans that weekend. I'll try to check back and see when the next one is.

Taoizm
01-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Dang, well we'll have a coffee in your honor.

crazy3dman
01-10-2006, 05:05 PM
I'll be there. Wasn't sure if I made that clear already.

AkaKico
01-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Hope the list of people going grows a bit...

AkaKico
01-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I've been trying to get a hold of some of the non- member people we had last time. Gene can't make it (LA) But I got ahold of David.

Hey Chris!

Hope all's well! I've been meaning to check up on all of this... it's been absolutlely nuts for about 3 months!

The 19th is my wife's birthday, and we'll probably be going out later... so as long as the meeting is shortish like the last one I'll be there!

David

We need a few more people to make this a 'meeting' I've got high hopes though :)

Taoizm
01-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I PM'd Array, and he's going to try and make it.

new2LW
01-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the PM Chris. I've been watching the Chicago area thread off and on. No commitment yet, really like to go.

AkaKico
01-20-2006, 02:28 PM
So as long as we have a few going for sure I'm still in for sat. I just don't want to get there and find the place empty. Who is going for sure?

Taoizm
01-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Unless my car gets stuck in the supposed blizzard tonight I'll be there. Hoorah!

crazy3dman
01-20-2006, 02:32 PM
I'll be there.

davijin
01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
dang wish I didnt have to work that day or I would come.

Array
01-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll try my best to be there today! Going to the barber now to get a haircut. I'm going to bring my business partner as well, if no one objects.

BTW, how will I know who is who? Should I just ask for Tony O'Dell when I get there?

Taoizm
01-21-2006, 04:13 PM
I'll probably be picking my nose, or drinking coffee.
Me
http://www.taoizm.com/stuff/tao.jpg

Oh, bring anyone you like. The more people who get interested the better

Array
01-21-2006, 05:18 PM
I had to skip out on the haircut :( Got to the barber's and there were 10 people allready waiting in line. Sucks.

new2LW
01-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Had a good time guys. Wished I had something to show but didn't work out that way. I know there had to be some jpgs on my hardrive, just couldn't find them, the good ones at least. :shrug:

later

Array
01-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Had a good time guys. Wished I had something to show but didn't work out that way. I know there had to be some jpgs on my hardrive, just couldn't find them, the good ones at least. :shrug:

later

Dont sweat it. We didnt bring anything either. Maybe next time :)

Taoizm
01-22-2006, 07:03 PM
It was good seeing everyone who made it out. From here we'll see what kind of formal and structured formats might work.

crazy3dman
01-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Sorry I had to leave early. What did I miss?

AkaKico
01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I think that the one thing you missed was the Chicago CGS Photo!

crazy3dman
01-22-2006, 10:36 PM
LOL - That's OK, I like this version better. Thanks

Array
01-23-2006, 02:46 AM
People on IRC said that it looks like we all did a huge quantity of blow before taking that photo. I look particularly ghastly :surprised

Ha.

Taoizm
01-24-2006, 04:28 PM
LOL, man, I was so wasted! I guess I can't hold my coffee.

Just an FYI: CGS is fully behind us, and is willing to help us make this happen. Now we need to figure out what we want it to do for us here in chitown.

AkaKico
01-24-2006, 04:41 PM
when you say fully behind us what do you mean? We never did manage to bolt down exactly what we plan on doing, just some ideas. It says " I'll have to come up with the documentation and formalise the Chapters," in the info thread. Is there such documention yet?

Thanks for looking into that stuff by the way Tony.

Taoizm
01-24-2006, 07:13 PM
From Mark Snoswell to array...

In the meantime keep me posted on who is the chapter liason and what you would like from us -- we will try an meet any resonable requess -- like introductions to studios... do you have a short list of specific studios you would like to visit? ... any ide when and how many people?

So they're willing to help us get this going if we can get some idea as to what we want/need.

Taoizm
02-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hey all, I just got this email and thought you other locals might be interested. I'm reserving today so I should be there.

Good Morning,

An exceptional meeting focused on games has been planned by another professional group in Chicago, the ACM, http://www.acm.org/chapters/chicago/index.html. We encourage you to consider attending it next week on Wednesday, February 8, 2006. The details follow.

Game Development: Real-World Skills Needed to Excel in this Industry Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Presented by: Edward Keenan

This presentation will shed light on several key misconceptions about
software development in the video game industry. Actual examples will
provide insights on the difficulties of developing software for software
programmers. Trends, tools and work environment for the next generation of
game consoles like, XBox-360 and PS3 will be discussed. A roadmap to
transform students as well as seasoned software developers to build these
critical skills necessary to enter this exciting field will be presented.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

Edward Keenan is Director of Advanced Technology, Chicago Midway Games Inc.
He has worked at Midway Games for 13 years during which time he developed
technology for internal and external game teams. Edward has worked on numerous titles and projects for both arcade as well as home consoles.

525 South State Street
The Lake Room

5:30 p.m. Social Hour, Dinner Buffet & Refreshments
6:30 p.m. Presentation

Cost:
$10 Chicago Chapter members
$12 Non-members
$3 Students
Money is collected at the door.

PLEASE MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS AS FAR IN ADVANCE AS POSSIBLE FOR THIS
MEETING, AS ATTENDANCE IS EXPECTED TO BE HIGH.

You may also call Steve to confirm your reservation at 219-741-8053.

Make your meeting reservation by replying to this e-mail (http://r.vresp.com/?TheAssociationforMul/bebb59af56/501141/e7c0e7b37c/851ec47)

Have a great weekend,
Harvey

Harvey S. Tillis
President
The Association for Multimedia Communications, Inc. (AMC)
P. O. Box 10645
Chicago, IL. 60610
773-276-9320 direct
http://www.amcomm.org

AkaKico
02-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Heh, I get those emails all the time, I've stopped paying attention to them :D Sounds neat though, I can prolly make it. Good to know that someone I know already will be there.

Sequent
02-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Hey guys, judging by that picture it looks like I missed quite a meeting! I was in L.A. that weekend. Sorry I missed the meeting.

pho
02-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey all, I had never noticed this thread before but it sounds pretty cool. I'm in the downtown (loop-ish) area and if needed would be glad to lend my apartment as a rally point for a future meeting. There are parking lots (pay) on either side of my building.

AkaKico
02-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Welcome aboard Chip! More the merrier :D Where abouts in the city is your apartment?

pho
02-10-2006, 08:13 PM
651 S Wells (basically Harrison and Wells)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=651+S+Wells+st+chicago+il

As you can see it's right off the expressway, so it could possibly be a very handy location.

crazy3dman
03-10-2006, 03:42 AM
Hey Everyone, I was thinking maybe we could start a discussion here about what exactly (or in general) everyone is hoping to get out of a Chicago area group. What you'd like to see the group doing, etc.

With the extremely diverse group of people that CGSociety attracts, I'm sure there are a lot of different ideas about what this group should be or should be doing.

For instance, having been at both of the meetings we've had, it struck me how different they were. I think it was due to the different mix of people at each one. At the first meeting the talk seemed to revolve mostly around creative topics. Most of the people there seemed to be involved in the art side of things - concept, illustration, animation - that kind of thing. I'm generalizing a little here to make a point.

At the second meeting, the talk was more on the technical side - the merits of one rendering engine over another, the advancements being made with the introduction of next gen games, and so on.

Now I for one, am definitely on the creative side much more than the tech side. I would be much more inclined to get involved if group activities included things like talks by concept designers and 3D artists. Touring animation facilities. Group creative projects. Blah blah blah.

But I'm sure there are those of you much more into the technical side of things, which tend to make my eyes glaze over.

So my first question to get the ball rolling here is this.

Can the group cater to both the creative and the techno? And if so, how?

And beyond that question, just chime in here and let's get this thing rolling. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Chris

AkaKico
03-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Well...

Personally, I thought both meeting had a decent balance of Tech vs. Art. We showed off a lot of personal work the first time, but Gene also did a decent amount of stuff on his laptop with LW and ZB. I agree the second meeting had a bit more tech.

But I'm certain we could find a good balance balance from here on in. I am very interested in both, but even more so with meeting people and networking a bit, seeing what's around. I also like being around people who think games, graphics, and art, something I lack right now where I live. So even if we didn't do anything 'professional', I enjoy the geek talk ^^

Now, actually finding content to fill 'professional' meetings... a bit tougher, plus it requires effort :P
In all seriousness, we should delagate a person or (Preferably) two people to offically organize things. As it is now, well can all look at eachother and be like... "well... what do you want to do now?" We'll just be going in circles. I volunteer, because I like to be involved and help out. But I'm one of the youngest in the group, so technically I think I know the fewest people and whatnot. I certainly wouldn't want to do it alone even if I was a person to do it. SO I'd like to see the groups thoughts on it are.

Hmm, I'm sure I could think of more. But I'm a bit short on sleep and it's time to hit the hay I think. More tomorrow!

Chris

aaraaf
03-10-2006, 03:13 PM
First off... sorry about not making the last meeting. Home stuff. :shrug:

Things I'd really like to see:
1) Talk about production flow - time it takes to get things done, ways that people keep themselves organized, general creative and technical processes
2) Modeling theories - loops and rings, sub-d what you guys use and why and general approches
3) Lighting theories - values and sheer amount of lights used in a shot
4) Rigging - what you guys do, custom created yourself, custom created hired out, CS, ACT, experiences using these (sorry, I'm a max guy... I know there are others out there these are just to make the point)
5) Style - if you guys switch up, how you manage it creatively without getting drained, does it keep you from getting drained?
6) Inspirations - what do you guys keep around your desks, other people's work that makes you happy, do you listen to music when you work, do you "zone"?
7) Quality - what do you guys use as a reference point for being done, and are you happy with the work you've accomplished, why do you like some pieces more than others?
8) Beer - what you like, what you don't... stouts? lagers? IPAs? Hoppy?

The single most valuable asset in these meetings is that most of the people are working professionals. Your opinions are based on what you've needed to do to get the job done and get it done well enough to keep it! I know that some stuff may be proprietary to some of the studios you've worked at, but in general it's always nice to know where I'm spinning my wheels and where I'm holding my own to know what to work on next.

The best thing that I get out of the meetings is, like Kico said, geek talk and a sense of comeradere (sp?).

aaraaf
03-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah... Crazy3DMan, I think that we can approach both the technical and the creative, but there will be some eye glazing. It's natural, and A-OK. :eek:

Maybe there could be some sort of semi-formal discussion "timeline" so that we know the best time to go get our coffee refilled.

ChewyPixels
03-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Whoah...didn't notice this thread. I'm in Mundelein and can easily make the next meeting. Gonna keep an eye on this one. See ya! :wavey:

pho
03-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Personally, I'm interested in both sides and spend a lot of my time trying to balance myself with a healthy dose of each... so I guess I'm saying I'm open to whatever format suits the group at the time of the meeting. hehe :)
I also would really love to get feedback on some of the things I'm developing...different perspectives and all that. Also, I'd love to see what projects others are working on (that you are able to show that is).

Open discussions and the like are fantastic but can sometimes lead to situations where you run out of time and there was something somebody wanted to say but the discussion switches focus so quickly it never gets a mention and consideration.
Perhaps before the next meeting we could all write short posts listing the things we are thinking of talking about or just list what we're working on and give everyone time to kind of organize their thoughts a bit (come up with questions even) so that we aren't all wandering about so-to-speak. It's possible we might even find ways to tie in threads of tech with creative or creative with tech to help keep things lively for everyone.
And as always, there is the straight up critique format. I'm game for brutal (but constructive) criticism anytime.

I'm in the boat with aaraaf on his list of topic categories as well. I would also love to have a nice local community develop from these meetings because I think that is the best way to learn and grow.

Finally I'll just say that in my experience conceptual based discussions aren't as productive in a short meeting format as craft based discussions. Since it appears that meetings can't really be too frequent I'd say that a craft oriented meeting would be the most helpful to the most people...especially if we're at a place that serves beer! hehe

AkaKico
03-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Heya Jedi-Juice

Saw you on the CGS google maps thing, good to have another on board.

As far as the meetings, I hope we can get a few more people posting their thoughts. We need some objectives, but I certainly don't want it be. "Next item on the agenda, the topic 'maya vs. max vs. spiderman'" I like the open-ness we have now, we haven't been short on things to talk about, and it's not like we have so many people somebody doesn't get heard. We need some goals, but we don't need rigid stucture. There could be a few things that we should discuss, but I'd hate to just be going down a list :/

What we are looking for I thought is that we could still have meetings somewhat as we have been, geektalk/bullshit 'hey check this out' Kinda meetings. But Also have days planned where we go on a tour of EA, or things of that nature. Presentations and whatnot.

Tony? Dmitry? Everybody else? Any thoughts?

Chris

Sequent
03-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I think a little of everything might be best. My main experience with groups like this has been on the music side. In meetings there we would have a tech section of the meeting to highlight a specific topic, and then an open section to brainstorm other questions, and then finally a show & tell section.

It was a little different there because we were focusing on mainly one bit of software.

I missed the last meeting because I was out of town, but at the one meeting it was cool to see a little bit of ZBrush and to hear people's thoughts on it. So the "hey, check this out" aspect is a good way of finding out about the tools people have found useful. It was also cool to see what people are working on and to get a sense of how others might be approaching something in a way that I might not have thought of. Also, the community is important to me... it's nice to get away from the absolutely virtual contact once in a while.

Another thing that might be interesting is if we can get the occasional "guest speaker" to come in. Which will probably be easier once we've established more of a presence.

Oh, and the inspirational aspect is great too. If someone has seen a movie or a book that they found especially inspiring, it's always great to hear about that. As well as if... someone saw a movie or book or whatever that turned out to be a real dog.

...and yes, one must not forget the discussions about beer!

Array
03-28-2006, 05:37 PM
So...Ice Age 2 is coming out soon. Anyone up for getting together and watching this thing? Maybe food/coffee afterwards?

If theyre showing it at iMax then we should try to make that.

Sequent
03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Hey, this sounds like a great idea!

So...Ice Age 2 is coming out soon. Anyone up for getting together and watching this thing? Maybe food/coffee afterwards?

If theyre showing it at iMax then we should try to make that.

AkaKico
03-28-2006, 05:47 PM
As long as it's a saturday/sunday I'm in :D Awaiting a time and place for definite conformation from me. It would be fun to see a 3D movie with a buncha CG people.

Array
03-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Unfortunately it doesnt seem like Ice Age will be hitting Imax yet :(

But how about this...in Skokie there is a theater called the Crown Village 18. It's pretty each to find, I-94 to Touhey West. Right next door to the theater is this great sports bar called Buffalo Wild Wings. What do you guys say about catching the movie at Crown Village 18 and then getting some brew and wings afterwards?

crazy3dman
03-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Just pick a date and I'll be there if at all possible! Sounds like fun! good idea! And I love buffalo wings!

ChewyPixels
03-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Sounds cool! I'd like to be there but I'll be away for the weekend...going out to my first camping trip of the year. :)

AkaKico
03-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Gah, that's nearly 50 miles away from me! :argh:

Not overly centralized, but do-able.

Array
03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Anyone else interested this weekend? How about Tony and his gang?

AkaKico
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
We talking Saturday or Sunday? Plus what time you guessing?
Heh, 'Tony and his gang'. I suddenly thought Sopranos :D

Sequent
03-29-2006, 09:09 PM
I'll try to make whatever day/time everyone else favors. Though, we should be aware of other crowds that may be there too... especially with this weekend being opening weekend. So we might want to wait a week?

Crown is not a bad theater... it's one of those mega-plex ones with the stadium seating. They even have digital projection in some (all?) of the theaters. It's just a little south of Touhy... at Niles Center Road (which is Central in the city).

Array
03-29-2006, 11:46 PM
We talking Saturday or Sunday? Plus what time you guessing?
Heh, 'Tony and his gang'. I suddenly thought Sopranos :D

I was thinking Saturday 7 PM-ish. That way we can have time to eat/drink afterwards without anyone having to drive home TOOOOO late.

AkaKico
03-30-2006, 05:39 PM
I was thinking Saturday 7 PM-ish. That way we can have time to eat/drink afterwards without anyone having to drive home TOOOOO late.

I'm in. A nice unofficial meeting. Any word from anyone outside the thread?

Taoizm
03-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Oh geez, I totally missed this update. My weekend is booked, but everyone else go and enjoy. Tell me how the movie is. I won't get to see it this weekend. :(

Array
03-31-2006, 06:26 PM
So do you guys still want to go tomorrow? Or should we hold off until next weekend when more people can come?

AkaKico
03-31-2006, 06:30 PM
I say if Tony and others can only make it if we wait till next weekend, we should wait. Besides, making plans with a buncha people on a forum tends to happen in slow motion. Better odds for people with more time to figure out the plans.

We a day time and place set in stone if we wait a week.

Whatever happens, happens!

Sequent
04-01-2006, 12:45 AM
I'm tempted to also vote for waiting until next weekend and see if the extra lead time would help people to get plans together.

AkaKico
04-05-2006, 03:01 PM
So, this saturday, the 8th.

Skokie there is a theater called the Crown Village 18. It's pretty each to find, I-94 to Touhey West. Right next door to the theater is this great sports bar called Buffalo Wild Wings. What do you guys say about catching the movie at Crown Village 18 and then getting some brew and wings afterwards?
Saturday 7 PM-ish

Raise your hand if you're going!

Taoizm
04-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Dang, I wish I could. I'm booked though, and the next 2 weekends I'll actually be in Phoenix.

Let me know how it goes, and tell me if Bw3 really did get rid of the Thai sauce. Someone told me they did, and it was what made the tender wrap special.

AkaKico
04-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, with no word on if this was going or not, I had other plans come up. So I will not be able to go this sat. Better luck next try.

jessicakempen
09-21-2006, 04:19 AM
maybe we should have a "midwest" chapter? instead of specific cities since I think we could get more people in that area, at least wisconsin minnesota and illinois? maybe Iowa? thoughts?

AkaKico
09-21-2006, 05:28 AM
While I love the idea of more people having access, it becomes an issue of travel times then. Chicago area is logical because of so many people in one place. Last time we met northside and I'm way in the southern burbs. If it got any further I'd have to pass. It's fun and casual so far. I'd love to see this become active again myself.

jessicakempen
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
yeah thats why I originally had minnesota/wisconsin with twincities as center or somewhere

AkaKico
11-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Okay time to kick this thing in the butt. It has been forever since we had a meeting. I propose a meeting on Sat. December 9th or Sat. January 6th so that we don't fall directly on the holiday. If you are looking at this thread or are subscribed to it then you must be at least a little bit interested! Please post if you can make it, or if you can't so we can gauge how many people we might have if we pick a different date. I think we should focus on goals of future meetings and a more regular meeting schedule. Of course I'm sure we can fit in plenty of "geek talk" too :)

As always I'm not too familiar with places in the city, but It would be nice if we pick somewhere close to a train.

Let's get this thing off the ground!
We need suggestions on a meeting point (Chicago area business place, apartment, cafe, coffeehouse)

Also suggestions of alternative dates to meet. We'll plan for future ones once we meet.

If you are in the Chicago land area then post here now!
Even if you can't make it on one of these dates. I will be emailing/messaging anybody I know that was interested and doesn't post here soon, so no lurkers!

Look forward to getting this thing moving :)

Chris

crazy3dman
11-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Hey Chris,

I know I won't be able to make it if you do it in December. January 6th is a maybe. Keep me up to date. Thanks.

ChewyPixels
11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Depending on the location, I'm in. :)

I live in Gurnee, a northern suburb of Chicago. Let me know when and where.

AkaKico
12-14-2006, 03:14 PM
I was hoping for more turnout in this thread... did everyone let their CGS membership run out?

Array
01-07-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm still here! Though Chris moved to LA over the summer.

AkaKico
01-07-2007, 07:03 AM
To many Chris' there to count. ^^

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2007, 07:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.