PDA

View Full Version : photo scanning and printing

Rogelio
10-06-2002, 07:58 AM
I have to take a picture, scan it, change it in photoshop than print it again.
I don't want the changes I make look all pixelly when I print it.

What do you recommend?

Should I scan the photo at twice the size, make the changes resize back to its size then print.

or do you have any good tips form me?

thanks

jeroentje
10-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Scan it at 300 dpi instead of 72 dpi, wich is only good for showing it on a monitor.
Scanning bigger and scaling down in the end is a good idea when you plan a lot of detailed retouches.

Rogelio
10-06-2002, 08:49 AM
I have to print it on another machine, what file format should I use so that it keeps all its detail and small enough to fit in a diskette?

Should I use 32-bit or 24-bit?

RGB, CMYK or what?

jeroentje
10-06-2002, 09:08 AM
Diskette? I haven't used those in years...

Save as a TIFF or EPS to keep all your quality (save a copy to EPS or TIFF btw, keeping your original PSD on your HD, cause you will loose the photoshop layers in a TIFF or EPS. You want to save that aswell, incase you want to make later adjustments).

You could save as a JPEG if you want to keep it small, but there is a trap: JPEG really screws up the quality of the pic, because JPEG is also a compression technique, that filters out a lot of information. When you want to use the JPEG file later in printing (like on a printing-press) you have a problem, specially with converting to CMYK.

Better burn the TIFF or EPS on a CD-ROM. Or use WINZIP to compress the file (Stuffit on a Mac), transport it and unpack it again on your destination computer.

jeroentje
10-06-2002, 09:19 AM
You was editing your post when I was typing ;)

> Should I use 32-bit or 24-bit?
I dunno, I always use the standard 8 bits/channel...

> RGB, CMYK or what?
That depends on what you will use it for.
For most printers RGB is fine, most office printers are configured to print RGB pics.
For pre-press you need CMYK.

Rogelio
10-06-2002, 09:27 AM
Silly me we have cds now :p

I will be printing the photo on photograpic paper or some thing, the idea is to make it look as if it was a photograph.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.