PDA

View Full Version : Which Wacom Tablet to Purchase?

Blithe
04-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Ok, First of all, I'm new to the site. Now, with that out of the way, on to my question. I'm currently a student, but I have a great interest in art. I've been drawing since I was a toddler, and although I have no formal training I have done some pieces on commision for various people and websites. I'm looking into pursuing art as a career, and I would like to break into digital art as currently I'm a pencil and paper or paint and canvas guy. So I was wondering which Wacom tablet would be the best for me to purchase. I really don't want to spend a ton of money on one, but I want the best quality for my money. Thanks for the feedback, and I'm very glad I found this exceptional site.

~Blithe

_slvl
04-29-2005, 05:57 PM
If you just want a starters tablet, the graphire series would do. The graphire3 is from 100/$100 and up.

If you want cheaper (below $50) you could buy a Volito. This is the entry level tablet. It has it's limitations though.

If you're in Europe (edit: which you're obviously not, couldn't read your profile while typing the message :banghead: ) you could buy a refurbished Graphire 2 for about 50, like I did. You will get full warranty (2 years) plus all the software.
(The US site has currently only one refurbished tablet, I just keep this paragraph for other people)

That's the money bit, now the experience:

As I mentioned I got the Graphire 2. For a beginner I reckon it has enough response and abilities. I get very decent pressure response from the pen. Of course it hasn't all the options of the intuos series.

Mind though I am currently a beginner in digital painting, so I haven't been able to really stress test it due to lack of ability :) (I'm making progress though)

Marc-OlivierBouchard
04-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Good to see new members.

One thing you will get told often on this site is
USE THE SEARCH BUTTON.
A lot of subjects have been covered extensively, and in such depth you'll never get by starting a new thread.

Kapow
04-29-2005, 08:23 PM
I just bought the Graphire 2 and it's taking me a little getting use to since before now, have done all of my work with a mouse. I'm left handed and thought using the pen would feel more comfortable then it does. My appendages are fighting to still use that mouse. So at the moment, I'm using both at the same time! :p

Blithe
04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Well thanks for that helpful tid-bit of information, I had looked for a search button, but was unable to find one. Now that I know one exists, it popped right out along the tool bar...wow, feeling somewhat dumb now! Anyways, slvl, thanks for your input, and I'll run a search for what I'm looking for. Feel free to post anyways though!

~Blithe

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2005, 08:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.