PDA

View Full Version : The right DVD Authoring Tool

xium
04-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi

I have made some movies and wanted to burn it on a DVD. So what I need is a powerful DVD authoring tool. I have used the DVDLab (and Pro) but both have many bugs.

What tools do you use?

Thanks for your answers!

Xium

s0r|n3l
05-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Hello xium,
I use DVD Studio PRO and for the moment is the most powerfull tool to bring your DVD to life.
I try and Adobe Encore DVD, but this have some bugs and scripting is not supported.

Maven
05-16-2005, 08:12 PM
I use Encore but I don't do any major DVD production so it is fine for what I do. I feel that there could be more features to it but I do like that how it is linked to premier and photoshop.

woodyradica
05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I must admit for the cost DVD lab pro has got to be the most feature packed of the bunch.

Also there updating it quite regularly at the moment so its improving in leaps and bounds...

Rainer K
05-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I've enjoyed Adobe Encore, its integration with AE and photoshop is fantastic. the 1.5 version is very stable, and they seem to have removed all the bugs. By 2.0 it will be quite a good piece of software. However i would have to agree, that at times it feels quite constrained.

Also Sonic Scenarist, if you have patience and a deeper wallet is a very comprehensive and professional tool, allowing you to do most things you want.

In general, I'm quite annoyed in general at the limitations of DVD, and i'm looking forward to newer dvd technologies allowing for more freedom in menu creation and manipulation/interaction etc.

takshaka
05-20-2005, 09:46 AM
do you want a straight foreward dvd or do you want it to do clever fancy type stuff...the apps above are all fine for the former but as far as i know (certainly encore) does not allow for scripting, which is a problem if you are particuarly bothered about selection rules, highlight positions, first play/subsequent play rules etc...encore is real easy to use but not suitable for commercial work because clients have specifications that you cannot force encore to adhere to...

Sonic Scenarist is obviously the big boy in the authoring world...however there is rarely a need to actually use it, you could use DVD maestro which is a fantastic package that allows you to script and so do pretty much anything scenarist can do (apart from true seamless branching)...if you can get hold of a copy id highly reccommend dvd maestro if you want control and funky actions on your DVD....i dont think it is still being developed though, though this is not really an issue as the DVD isnt either and will remain the same forever...

hope helps...

NOTE: dvd maestro is probably the most powerful and stable dvd soft you will find, since that is what your were asking

cementarygate
05-25-2005, 09:14 PM
adobe encore works fine, if u can use phtoshop you can use encore, you can make your stuff look professional, and its really easy to use

SamChen
05-31-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm currently using DVD Architect 2.0 from Sony... originally developed by Sonic Foundry (i think). It's a no frills app that works fine. Not super advanced...no scripting and stuff.. but easy to learn and reliable. I tried Encore, but had some issues and bugs that plagued me. Of course, if you're on the Mac, DVD Studio Pro seems to be the de facto. G'luck!

fwtep
05-31-2005, 08:05 AM
A significantly improved DVD Architect 3 is out, but as with the past versions, it's only available as part of the Vegas bundle. But since Vegas is an amazing editing app, that's not a bad thing. I like Vegas much better than Premiere, Final Cut Pro, and Avid (though my experience with those isn't as great as with Vegas).

Fred

grafikdon
06-10-2005, 02:35 PM
adobe encore works fine, if u can use phtoshop you can use encore, you can make your stuff look professional, and its really easy to use

I agree with you on that. The integration with Photoshop and Premiere is priceless. Encore DVd is fine for what I do, maybe when I get involved in more heavy duty stuff I'd look beyond encore.

MunicipalOne
06-16-2005, 11:19 PM
but as far as i know (certainly encore) does not allow for scripting, which is a problem if you are particuarly bothered about selection rules, highlight positions, first play/subsequent play rules etc...encore is real easy to use but not suitable for commercial work because clients have specifications that you cannot force encore to adhere to...

kane, i'm not totally sure about selection rules, and i definitely recognize that encore has limitations, but in encore you can set your highlight order, first play rules, button links, end play actions etc. these features are a little unintuitive, but after going through their help page, i was able to get these things working properly. hope this helps.

Mo

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2005, 11:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.