PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by colour?

Ascendek
04-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Does a particular colour inspire your imaginative side and make you create more vivid concepts? Sounds like a bit of a weird question doesnt it :)

I've noticed that a light pale yellow background will shift my brain into gear for some reason! I first noticed this at work, sitting in front of a computer typing away can by quite boring so i picked up a blue biro and started sketching on the yellow post-it-note pad which was sitting on my desk. Before i knew it i had gone through the whole pad!!

Now i find i am more comfortable working on a pale yellow backing and have noticed a significant boost in imagination! - must be the relaxing tone of it compared to the clinical bright white.

Everyday at work i sketch on these little yellow notes while working and go home with a wallet full of sticky little yellow notes - ready to transfer onto photoshop :)

Anyone else have a particular canvas colour (apart from white) which they feel more comortable with?

asongforOphelia
04-29-2005, 12:10 PM
I have a thing for yellow too, only a much darker, amber color. The red and oranges and warm quality of that kind of light is something I see a lot of my pictures in. I don't necessarily draw on it, but it would be an interesting thing to try.

Mysterious X
04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
for some reason I always pick orange and blue in every sketch or painting I do and I dont have any idea why..it just makes me happy to see them together :love:

sonicstrawbery
04-29-2005, 05:28 PM
I like yellow too, and i like it more with a blue tone...

Orange/Red and Black is also a combinaison i love.

Pale colors like grey/beige/pale green are the colors are use most for design stuffs...i don't know why but when i think to a project i have always those colors in mind and then come the shape...

That's a kind of favorites but it also depends on what type of image/project i'm working on...

LouisCho
04-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Dark red and terra cotta

Louis

Ilikesoup
04-30-2005, 06:16 PM
I always lean toward blues, both in my pictures and in my clothes. If you follow feng shui it's aligned with water and creativity (black, too). White is all about rules and structure, so I can see why it might hamper creativity. Yellows, browns and tans are supposed to help you stay gounded. I'd definitely prefer beige over white when it comes to sketching. BTW, I've read elsewhere that yellow is the hardest color for the human eye to process -- maybe those sticky notes are calling out to you to draw on them. :shrug:

madart
05-01-2005, 06:46 AM
According to research (colour psychology), yellow stimulates our minds. Some say yellow or strong yellows can have a stressful effect on us.

For me, one of my rooms is pale yellow and I think very well in that room and come up with different ideas there.

offbeatworlds
05-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Well, I get inspired if I pick the right color. I start out with a blank canvas, and then fill it with he main color of the picture, whatever that may be. After that, the inspiration flows right from whatever color I choose and a picture eventually comes out of it. It doesn't matter what color it is, as long as its the color that convays the mood of the picture I want approprietly.

cha0t1c1
05-02-2005, 05:03 AM
I love red on beige canvas, or black on white...I don't have a favorite colour...my closet is full of colours, I'm very moody...
but since I'm an aries red increases my personality...I like wearing wine colour shirts, but blue calm me down... I don't know I get inspired by shapes and emotions, but I think that's because I sketch more than paint(significantly more)...

GOTgraphic
05-04-2005, 11:16 PM
According to research (colour psychology), yellow stimulates our minds. Some say yellow or strong yellows can have a stressful effect on us.

For me, one of my rooms is pale yellow and I think very well in that room and come up with different ideas there.

Yellows and greens are very easy to look and stare at because their wavelengths have a focal point exactly on the back of the retinal wall of the eye. One of the reasons these colors may be stimulating is because the eye/mind can rest.

The colors red and blue are the most difficult for the eye/mind to stare at because red's wavelength focal point in far behind the retinal wall (thus looking like the colors is advancing) and blues wavelength if far in front of the retinal wall (thus appearing as if way out there).

In any case any colors that are very saturated and or intense will drive a person nuts because they over work the eye/mind.

GOTgraphic
05-04-2005, 11:29 PM
And yes, its been shown that when children's bed-rooms are painted in pastels of cream yellows and warm greens, the occupants do the best in schools. Those colors are the easiest on the eyes and brains.

Interestingly its been shown that when prisons are painted a pastel pink color, that the prisoners are the most calm. When prisons are painted in reds they had the most violence and unrest.

for some reason I always pick orange and blue in every sketch or painting I do and I dont have any idea why..it just makes me happy to see them together :love:Orange and blue are opposite colors, not only chromatically but also in visual temperature. Orange is the warmest of the colors and blue is the coolest of colors (in relation to the entire color gamut). I really like orange/blue combinations myself.

Opposite color combinations are always neat. Like red/green... the two colors are almost of the same value, thus looking harmonious but yet opposite. Its unfortunate that anything red & green gets labeled as Christmas Yellow/purple are neat in that yellow has the highest light value of the colors and purple the darkest value.

Mysterious X
05-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Orange and blue are opposite colors, not only chromatically but also in visual temperature. Orange is the warmest of the colors and blue is the coolest of colors (in relation to the entire color gamut). I really like orange/blue combinations myself.

Opposite color combinations are always neat. Like red/green... the two colors are almost of the same value, thus looking harmonious but yet opposite. Its unfortunate that anything red & green gets labeled as Christmas Yellow/purple are neat in that yellow has the highest light value of the colors and purple the darkest value.

AKA Complementary colors...you know maybe someone should start a thread about the color wheel..I'm not the best to talk about it I'm sure alot of people here would love to know more about the color wheel and types of colors and all don't you think ?

madart
05-05-2005, 06:49 AM
AKA Complementary colors...you know maybe someone should start a thread about the color wheel..I'm not the best to talk about it I'm sure alot of people here would love to know more about the color wheel and types of colors and all don't you think ?

MysteriousX, why don't you start a thread like that? :) I haven't checked though that there isn't one like that already.

Colour theory, colour psychology, colour symbolism are all so important when creating art and also very interesting.

Could be very interesting as we CGTalkers come from all over the world, and we use colours differently and have different meanings for different colours.

PS I also used to always use blue and orange in my paintings (oil), prussian blue and a little bit of orange and dark red....

Mysterious X
05-05-2005, 07:38 AM
MysteriousX, why don't you start a thread like that? :) I haven't checked though that there isn't one like that already.

I dont think there's a thread..but as I said I'm not the best to talk about it..GOT! already here gave a nice little breifing about it perhaps he can do one right GOT ?

madart
05-05-2005, 09:02 AM
I could have started, but I'm overloaded with work right now, hardly have time to read any threads and posts at all.

It's such a big chapter, everything from the basic colour wheel to how colour affects us. How it's best used in art (paintings, images), games, film etc.

Nehym
05-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Well i definatly get inspired by colors and colors schemes et contrasts between them. I can see something with X and Y colors and think that i need to re-use colors like this in a picture and sometimes it even leads me to a concept.

When sketching, i tend to have the canvas a dark low saturated blue, i'm not sure why. I've noticed that it was what i used in the last pieces started to paint, even if the background was not really blue or if it was, not that shade of blue.

But for some weeks, i've had a thing for bright yellows, lime greens and vivid aqua/turquoise colors, in everything, clothing, painting/drawing, even make up (and actually have begun to consider repainting my bedroom...)?! :eek: Probably because summer is getting there? Or maybe not. I've never in my life had such an ',affection'' for those colors, it was often dark murky greens, wine reds, black, beige... And it has totally switched.

Though i'd be willing to join in a thread about the meaning of colors, color theory etc, the meaning and symbolism of it is something i always liked. :)

ThirdEye
05-05-2005, 04:31 PM
All the main colours can express different feelings and emotions. White, Black, Orange, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Purple... They can all be used as themes.

GOTgraphic
05-05-2005, 10:47 PM
And speaking of color...

Stahlberg's sticky thread "Art theory links & tutorials" (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226083) has a great link ( http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/wcolor.html ) with a lot of information on it... some really cool stuff there... check it out.

paperclip
05-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I love that handprint website, great stuff!! I've seen it before but it gets better each time...

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2005, 10:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.