PDA

View Full Version : Color problem after grayscaling DV Material

akika
04-29-2005, 09:23 AM
A friend of mine did a shortfilm with a DV Camera. He grayscaled the whole thing and reduced the contrast to achive the look he wanted. Unfortunately in some parts of the film there are areas that look like being converted to 256 colors. To me it looks like if After Effects cannot find another suitable gray due to reduced contrast.

Is this possible? Is there a work around to this?

thanx in adavance!

Mylenium
04-29-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't think so... Maybe you are/ were using the wrong method to create the greyscale in the first place and on top of that you rendered it out again as DV? Just a wild guess, but that would create some serious artefacts. You might try and switch to 16bit mode. This will eliminate a part of the problem perhaps, but without more concrete info it's hard to be more specific.

Mylenium

akika
04-29-2005, 08:31 PM
You are right: infos are a bit vague. IŽll check with my friend if he can give me the project so that I can be more specific about the problem. I think he rendered it out as uncompressed DV.

Thanx for the answer. Maybe your 16 Bit tip will help him out allready.

dosealas
04-30-2005, 02:15 PM
yep i agree with Mylenium..its definatly the 16-bit.. when u work with 8 bit meaning 2^8 (2 over 8) it equals to 256 :lightbulb ..so you are working with 256 colors! switch to 16 bit for (256 times 256)...

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2005, 02:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.