PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Chapter

SoLiTuDe
04-29-2005, 06:48 AM
I know kole has done some seattle ctalk meetings and such... so we need to start a Seattle cgsociety chapter. I just moved up here, and am going to the art institute... I love cg, and helping organize and start a chapter would be great. Meeting people is always fun, and I need more to do than school and work. It's driving me nuts!:scream:
Hope to hear from some of you fellow Seattle... seattleites? seattleans? ...

--Solitude--

lanedaughtry
05-02-2005, 05:19 AM
I'll happily participate. We've got quite a few people kicking around this town between the east and west side.

-L

SoLiTuDe
05-02-2005, 06:23 AM
sweet... finally a reply! hehe... yeah I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard, once cgsociety gets more and more members... but i'm curious about linking cgsociety with the "standard" cgtalk members --- i know that sounds lame... but i'm curious about what cgsociety members would do different without them

BadgerSundae
05-03-2005, 12:17 AM
I'd love to participate, being a Seattlite myself. Unfortunately I'll be attending VFS in BC for the next two years. Perhaps I can get a Vancouver chapter rolling in the meantime and join the Seattle chapter when I move back stateside in '07.

bentllama
05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Count bentllama, in.

bentllama can even talk in 3rd person at the meetings if you like.

bentllama likes talking in 3rd person.

SoLiTuDe
05-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Solitude like 3rd person... he thinks bentllama should definetly do the 3rd person thing

heavyness
05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
the kole didn't see this CGSociety Chapter section. the kole apologizes.

i'm all in. i'll do as much as possible to get this rolling and a success. i'll start IM'ing the people that were at the last meeting and have them post in this thread. i'm also trying to round up some software companies to show up and of course looking for fellow CGTalk'ers to talk about/demonstrate their crafts. i'm hoping this year that the meeting surpasses everyone's expectations.

SoLiTuDe
05-05-2005, 06:06 AM
i'm hoping this year that the meeting surpasses everyone's expectations.

Ditto -- hence the reason I "started" this chapter. So the question becomes, I guess, do we make anything different for cgsociety members over standard cgtalk users?

bentllama
05-05-2005, 08:42 AM
seattle society members get to play secret unreleased bungie games.

heavyness
05-05-2005, 02:15 PM
seattle society members get to play secret unreleased bungie games.

oh snap!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

SoLiTuDe
05-06-2005, 07:03 PM
that sounds like a good benefit =)

dougbot
05-09-2005, 06:01 PM
I'd love to join too, my time is pretty limited though, what with the wife, kid, job, and hell commute to Bothell and all. Not sure what I can bring to the table though.

SoLiTuDe
05-10-2005, 04:32 AM
It's not a biggie dougbot -- i have school, work, and an internship project -- we'll all do what we can, and if we can't do anything to contribute, then that's fine too... you can just suck in all the benefits when we figure out what we're gonna do as a chapter. We need more members though. I was thinking for one of the first meetings we could all meet up at this place called nexus cafe. it's on 2nd and lenora downtown, and it's got like 10-20 xbox's with 27 inch tvs in the back room, and lots of other board games and such -- i'm sure it'd be fun for us to all get together and meet each other.

--Solitude--

bentllama
05-10-2005, 05:54 AM
doug, everybody brings something to the table...even kole

love,
smarmy

LucentDreams
05-16-2005, 12:30 AM
well I'm going to keep an eye here, not in seattle, but being a mod in Vancouver I'm going to have to be involved in getting something started there, and first thing I'd do is make sure to have close contact with our closest neighbour. Bent shoudl have to get back in touch with his Canadian side anyways.

bentllama
05-16-2005, 09:14 AM
bentllama likes his canadian side.

bentllama like www.realcanadianbacon.com (http://www.realcanadianbacon.com)

GrM
05-25-2005, 08:58 AM
hm, this sounds neato interesting. I'd get involved if something were to go on I think

adam-crockett
05-26-2005, 03:04 AM
I'm down. Late...but down.

AdrielaSakamoto
05-26-2005, 04:42 AM
i'm certain I couldn't bring anything to the table but a vampiric need to suck information. That and I live in Lynnwierd. Any bets on how many people in lynnwood do cg?

Adri Sakamoto

SoLiTuDe
05-26-2005, 05:00 AM
so when we get a few more members, why don't we all plan something so we can all meet up somewhere? Any ideas for our first meeting location? I mentioned earlier a new cafe downtown with some xboxs. We wouldn't want to go on a weekend, as it will prob be too busy, but I'm open to suggestions, and then we can all plan on meeting somewhere, and if need be, I'll go out of my way to do whatever I can do (preferrably w/o money!) to reserve a spot or whatever somewhere.
I figure out first meeting we can all just introduce each other and just hang. After that maybe we can start doing tutoring/workshop sessions and/or critiques or something more productive. Maybe collaborate on our own "Seattle Short"??

heavyness
05-26-2005, 05:22 AM
i was thinking the same thing SoLiTuDe. i was at Redmond Town Center and found a nice meeting room that has their own movie theater and bar.... but its some where in the realm of $1800 for the night [plus everyone has to be 21+]

sooo.... meeting everyone would be great. i've only been living in Seattle for 2 years or so, so i don't know every nook and cranny for meeting places.

the place SoLiTuDe was talking about sounds cool. i would host some people at my place, but once we hit 10 or so people, might get crowded [but its free and i got every system]. i'll also ask people at work if they know any spots and i'll keep my eye out. and my apartments also have a club house i can reserve and haul my tv/xbox/pc over there for everyone. should be good to atleast 20+ people.

SoLiTuDe
05-26-2005, 02:50 PM
sweet deal. movie theater and bar sounds awesome! but yeah, depends on how many of us are 21 ( I am as of last october !) ....not to mention the money... Whatever works with the apartment/clubhouse. I just moved here in january so I know less of everything about the area and where to go. :) I dunno bout u guys, but i'm a poor ass college student so the less I have to spend the better, though I'll gladly pitch in for some food or whatever or even carpool it and pick some people up :D

neofisk
05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey Everyone,

It would depend on what, where and when (and how much, of course), but I would be interested in meeting other Seattle Chapter CGS members.

I just thought I should speak up, so you know I'm here in Seattle, too ... the Wallingford / University District / Fremont area, to be more specific.

Great weather today, huh? :thumbsup:

Neofisk

heavyness
05-26-2005, 08:06 PM
from my office, the weather looks.... yellowish.... [no window]

but coming into work it seemed nice. hope it will last over the long weekend.

neofisk
05-26-2005, 08:27 PM
.... rain in the forecast .... but that's nothing new .... enjoy the sun while you can.

Prototype_Angel
05-26-2005, 09:02 PM
well, i am in seattle area too **beltown area**
but uhmm i m still new

dunno anyone in here :(

anyway, i can join depend on the location and when :)
since i dun have a car and final is coming up in the next few weeks

SoLiTuDe
05-26-2005, 11:22 PM
sounds like you go to the Art Institute, Prototype angel...? Belltown... student... cg... finals... yeah... sounds like the art institute. I go there too. That'd be funny If I already knew you. Anyway, like I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't mind picking up a few people on the way to a "gathering" I was thinking like June 24th weekend or the weekend before or after that maybe would be good so it's not too soon, and not too long from now.

heavyness
05-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Art Institute of... Pittsburgh [not seattle, but AI none the less]

i plan on putting up flyers at AIS and Digipen once we have our official meeting planned [but since we have some students here, i can let you guys do it].

what are some other schools in the area that have any form of CG?

SoLiTuDe
05-27-2005, 12:20 AM
yeah... i'll mention it to some people at school, and put up flyers... honestly I don't know if they'll care though -- I don't think they'd get it unless we put up something about computer games (kinda disappointing to me :D). But I don't know of any other schools -- i've heard of digipen, and possibly another, but I can't remember the name of it

SoLiTuDe
05-27-2005, 12:23 AM
so... should we think under the premise of cg society only? i'm thinking we can have our own meetings, but while we're at it, we should invite the normal cgtalkers to get into it, and check things out, and maybe switch back and forth -- maybe one meeting be only cgsociety, and the next could be anybody from the area -- whatever...? lemme know what you guys think -- especially you kole, since you've setup and run the cgtalk meetings in the past :D

heavyness
05-27-2005, 01:25 AM
well this i figure this meeting will be an informal get-together, meet-n-great, how's-ya-doing, chew-the-fat, and whatever else has hyphens in it type of meeting.

we can some what plan the meeting, talk about Bentllama when he goes to the bathroom, and just get a feel for what to expect and what we are capable of. i also don't mind if none cgsociety people show up, since the main goal is to reach as many people as possible.

the next meeting will for anyone and everyone and we will blanket the city with banners to the point of it being illegal.

SoLiTuDe
05-27-2005, 01:31 AM
well this i figure this meeting will be an informal get-together, meet-n-great, how's-ya-doing, chew-the-fat, and whatever else has hyphens in it type of meeting.

we can some what plan the meeting, talk about Bentllama when he goes to the bathroom, and just get a feel for what to expect and what we are capable of. i also don't mind if none cgsociety people show up, since the main goal is to reach as many people as possible.

the next meeting will for anyone and everyone and we will blanket the city with banners to the point of it being illegal.

Ditto :) The banner idea is great -- illegal is fun... we're livin' on the edge. I figured the same for the first one, and yeah I guess chatting about the rest of it as we go is a good idea

neofisk
07-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Hey Guys ...

The Seattle Chapter thread seems to have gone quiet. I know everyone is busy with the big 4th of July weekend, but I was wondering if the meeting happened (if so, I missed it) ... and what everyone is up to. Anybody out there still? You must all be busy rendering ...

http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif

SoLiTuDe
07-01-2005, 10:23 PM
yeah man... the meeting was great! j/k ... we haven't had one yet... that i know of. We all need to find a few hours on a weekend or something. Sundays i'm off at 6 no matter what and Saturdays at 7 no matter what, so if we can do somethin around that time that's when i'm free to do pretty much whatever. What are some of your availablilites? (everybody) so we can plan something... also... any other ideas for location?

neofisk
07-01-2005, 10:46 PM
My schedule is (usually) pretty flexible. So, whenever is probably good for me. Probably. 99% chance anyway.

I don't know any details, but I believe Mesmer is located in the Ballard area. I think they do training as well as production CG, so maybe a flyer could be put up there. They'd have to be contacted and asked, of course.

Maybe a simple meeting would be best for the first ... maybe even just have people meet at a coffee house or something. Not too structured or too demanding in the planning department. Later meetings could be more involved and have more planning behind them. First it would be a good idea just to see who's interested and how many people show up.

I suspect there's a wide range of specialty categories, and experience levels, that CGSociety members fall into ... everything from students to pros. Planning to feature specific entertainment, like gaming for example, would be great, but might be best left for future meetings, once we get a handle on who the Seattle Chapter member base are.

Just some thoughts ...

SoLiTuDe
07-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Sweeet... that's a good idea. I was even thinking just a pizza hut or whatever. Depends on how many people as to what we'll bother to plan. But yeah -- I think we all agree that doing a basic meetngreet is good for the first time, then after that, maybe we could all do monthly workshops or something? That'd be kind of cool... I still don't think we've figured out how to separate the cgtalk from the cgsociety though yet. I don't want to limit the meetings to just cgsociety, but I think cgsociety members should have a benefit above reg. cgtalk... ya know? Anywho... What do you people think of July 16th or maybe 23rd (if we need more time to plan) I'll start thinking about where to go, and will call some places if needbe (if we have more than just a few people coming) As soon as we figure it out when we want to meet, we'll post in the general forums and invite the rest of people :)

neofisk
07-02-2005, 01:52 AM
At this point, either date would be all right for me ...

heavyness
07-02-2005, 02:06 AM
ok, there is...

http://www.jjmahoneys.com/

which is located in Redmond. small bar/restaurant that just opened. saw a Guinness sign, popped my head in and they have a big long table near the back that we can occupy [as long as we keep ordering food and drinks, i don't thing they will care]. plus it has wifi [so bring your notebooks].

and if we run are welcome there, there is a Starbucks right across from Tullys [how seattle is that] thats just down the strip from this place [this is by the movie theater in redmond (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=98052&ll=47.681021,-122.123959&spn=0.010883,0.028416&hl=en), corner of NE 90th and 161 Ave NE]. we can sit are asses in one of those and chat. i'm sure one of them has wifi to.

let me know what you think, i haven't found any thing else thats all ages and free to meet at. we can meet there, introduce are selfs [or try to introduce someone else, but that might be kinda hard] and throw out some ideas for the "real" meeting.

as for dates, i have family from out of town from now till the 16th for a wedding. so the 8th, 15th - 17th are out for me. mostly any other day is fine [although im pushing for the weekend after the 16th].

let me know what you all want to do.

SoLiTuDe
07-02-2005, 02:19 AM
Ok, so why don't we make it the 23rd then? (as long as not too many people have complaints about it) jjmahoneys sounds good as long as they serve beer :buttrock:, but how well will it work if anyone under 21yr old ? and how big is the table? :D

heavyness
07-02-2005, 02:49 AM
Ok, so why don't we make it the 23rd then? (as long as not too many people have complaints about it) jjmahoneys sounds good as long as they serve beer :buttrock:, but how well will it work if anyone under 21yr old ? and how big is the table? :D

its also a resturant, so we just don't sit in the bar section. i'm guessing about 10 people will show, so we pull some tables together.

here is a pic from there site...

http://www.jjmahoneys.com/images/tour/IMG_0427-2.jpg

maybe i'll stop in and look around, maybe talk to a server and see how busy they get.

SoLiTuDe
07-02-2005, 05:13 AM
sounds good to me... any complaints?

bentllama
07-02-2005, 09:38 AM
cool.

Rick, you know how to get a hold of me. Let me know where and when and I will try to make it.

heavyness
07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
who the hell is rick?

bentllama
07-02-2005, 07:27 PM
who the hell is rick?
do you prefer DICK? :)

heavyness
07-02-2005, 07:44 PM
do you prefer DICK? :)

no i don't Nathanial.

SoLiTuDe
07-16-2005, 12:45 AM
so we all still on for next saturday (23rd?)

neofisk
07-16-2005, 02:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to be working out of town that weekend ... but if you wait until everyone can make it, it might never happen. So, I'll have to miss the innagural meeting of the CGSociety Seattle Chapter :cry: , but hope to make a future meeting.

Wish you all a great time, though. And if my schedule changes ... I'll still try to be there.

Best to all.

neofisk

heavyness
07-16-2005, 07:07 AM
sorry guys, i'm trying to finish one project and ramped up on another and currently best man in a wedding......sooooo i'm busy. but come the 20th, i should be..... ok....

23rd? we could also try during the week [25th-29th]. i'll start messaging people have have PM'ed me and see how many CGTalk'ers we get.

gotta run, its midnight, night before the wedding and i'm still writing my speech and i have to take 3 girls over to the bride's house at 6:00am to get their hair done [Vietnamese tea ceremonies start at 9:00am....]

SoLiTuDe
07-16-2005, 03:43 PM
hehe... it's coo -- why don't we forget the 23rd then, unless it will be ok. Otherwise the 29th is fine too... as long as i don't close at work. :) Either way is fine. Neofisk, will the 29th be ok for you?

neofisk
07-16-2005, 11:42 PM
SoLiTuDe,

Too soon to tell, but I hope so ... my work is kind of unpredictable, so you guys (and gals?) should just plan what's best for you. I'll make it to a meeting eventually ...

neofisk

pseudoE
07-20-2005, 09:16 PM
I'd love to join too, my time is pretty limited though, what with the wife, kid, job, and hell commute to Bothell and all. Not sure what I can bring to the table though.

not to hijack the end of this thread, but, damn dougbot; What are the odds there'd be TWO CGtalkers from Edmonds...not to mention we actually admit to it!! Are you sure you aren't just advertising that to look cool?

e.

emptyvoxel
07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Oh great. Is there no place left for me to hide from you, psuedoE!?

Argh!

~T

heavyness
07-22-2005, 04:12 PM
ahhh, free from the brother-in-laws' wedding!

i'm going to stop by this restaurant and see whats going on. i'm guessing about 10-12 of us showing up for dinner and drinks? if we keep it low for our first CGSociety meet'n'greet, it should be to hard to take over a corner of the restaurant. that way we can make plans for more if a formal, real CGTalk Meeting.

also, 2 questions...

1] is anyone willing to bring a notebook to let everyone share [for internet use and or showing of.. whatever]

2] in anyone going to the Penny Arcade Expo (http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/) in Bellevue next month?

SoLiTuDe
07-22-2005, 11:25 PM
1. Yes. It won't have any programs worth a damn on it, but I can bring one for basic stuff.
2. Yes.

bentllama
07-23-2005, 06:33 AM
1. I have a couple laptops I can bring...and one that runs Maya decently...

2. I am flying in from Toronto on the Saturday but will be at PAX all day Sunday...

heavyness
08-05-2005, 09:30 PM
if more people are going to PAX, let us know.

we should at least meet up on one the 3 days and maybe get a team together and play some Halo 2 and or Counter Strike.

bentllama
08-06-2005, 09:02 AM
if more people are going to PAX, let us know.

we should at least meet up on one the 3 days and maybe get a team together and play some Halo 2 and or Counter Strike.

i will be there sunday.

SoLiTuDe
08-26-2005, 06:39 PM
*bump* just seeing if anybody wants to make plans soon..

heavyness
08-26-2005, 07:27 PM
anyone going to PAX, look for me!

i'm wearing a gray t-shirt [from paranio agent], shorts, brown "fake leather print" pumas and my PAX badge is hanging around my neck with a metal gear solid dog tag. i answer to RICK or HEAVYNESS or KOLE...... or KING OF THE XOIYTREI RELM

we can talk more about a future meeting... just been so damn busy.

MEETING SOON!i promise!

heavyness
10-03-2005, 01:00 AM
holy crap, its been to long...

http://www.heavyness.com/cgtalk

i've updated it and posted my "GOAL" of having a Seattle website that we can all use to contact and create our own sub-groups [sketch groups, game clans, ski/bike groups, whatever] but with CG as the main focus.

as far as a GOAL for the Seattle Chapter, i'm going to contact Wacom, Discreet, Alias, and any other company to see about software demos and or door prizes. i also know some of you work at game studios... it would be nice to get a sneak peak at.. well anything. i'm going to hit up my people at Microsoft and see about getting some kind of 360 demo, even if its hexic hd... :)

i've stopped by JJ Mahoneys (http://www.jjmahoneys.com) and asked about getting a party of 10-12 during the week, the server said no problem as long as i call the day before to warn them when we're showing up. so i figured those interested and willing, we can meet-up on a Tuesday/Wednesday and get some dinner/drinks and discuss the Seattle Chapter. work has tamed down for me and i'm open. let me know what everyone thinks.

bentllama
10-03-2005, 01:14 AM
just shoot me an email for when and where, Sir Richard Peabody Farnsworth Kolesar III...

SoLiTuDe
10-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Heh... farnsworth is my last name.

yeah... we still need to meet up. I'll look into the Nexuss cafe on 2nd ave. I think it has internet acess, but not sure -- i know their xboxes are hooked up to the net.. so I'm sure there's a way to hook up via a laptop. And i'm thinking it's a good middle ground location wise.

--Ian

TheAllusionist
10-16-2005, 06:17 AM
If you guys start having meetings downtown Seattle, I would be interested, too busy with work to travel to the east side but if you get a meeting going downtown I would try to make it. should start a mailing list of some sort and ask some of the local software user groups to mention it at their meetings, just a thought.

bentllama
10-16-2005, 09:42 AM
If you guys start having meetings downtown Seattle, I would be interested, too busy with work to travel to the east side but if you get a meeting going downtown I would try to make it. should start a mailing list of some sort and ask some of the local software user groups to mention it at their meetings, just a thought.

and the west side is too hard for eastsiders to make...there is no perfect answer.

heavyness
10-16-2005, 04:37 PM
i'll charter a boat and we will meet in the middle of the lake (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.608420,-122.256374&spn=0.041890,0.109099&t=k&hl=en)...

i'm trying to find the best location for everyone, but with a body of lake separating us, it will be hard to find a location to please all. plus, all the good meeting places want something called cash, and a lot of it.

TheAllusionist
10-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Yes I understand the delimma, I meant if some of the meetings are in Seattle I could try to make those, it might come down to people making it to the ones convenient to them. As far as a place to have it, if any of you work for a game or software company, I would think they might let you use their conference or meeting room because it is related to their field and gets them exposure. I am in architecture so it is really a non-related field as far as principles are concerned so it is not likely but I would think perhaps a related field might be generous.

Anyway, I realize getting something like this going is a lot of work, I just wanted to give you an additional head count for the area to let you know I was interested but limited in venues I could attend, I wish you luck with it ;)

heavyness
10-16-2005, 07:07 PM
well, we had an event last year in Bellevue, and we got people from every where [including 2 guys from Portland]

i'm waiting to hear back from my work to see if there is anything i can use [conference room] for the gathering, and i'm still looking through the yellow pages and calling anything that may be a possibility.

we could all goto the same movie and just talk really loud...

meeting room goals for Seattle CGTalk Gathering [2]005..maybe 06
-internet
-hold over 100 people
-tables and chairs

for us CGSociety people, i figured we can just eat and talk at whatever restaurant/net cafe/coffee shop, nothing to crazy since there will only be like 10 of us.

SoLiTuDe
10-17-2005, 01:40 AM
how many people you think will come if we have a full cgtalk meeting?

I don't mind going anywhere -- as long as it's at night bellevue really is not
that far from seattle... whoopie another 10 minutes of driving (depending on traffic
and your speedometer!) hehe... anywho... I'm down whenever wherever. The movie
idea sounds fun.. you know a lot of movie theaters will actually let you rent out a theater. :)

bentllama
10-17-2005, 02:25 AM
The movie
idea sounds fun.. you know a lot of movie theaters will actually let you rent out a theater. :)

three words...

chicken
little
cinerama

???

SoLiTuDe
10-17-2005, 03:09 AM
lol... don't know if i should agree :)

heavyness
10-17-2005, 03:32 AM
three words...

chicken
little
cinerama

???

if your buying, i'll show up. i'm willing to put up some money for the event, but a whole theater...?

SoLiTuDe
10-17-2005, 04:43 AM
...don't think they'll let us rent that one out... but we can still talk loud

heavyness
10-17-2005, 05:32 AM
we'll go see Doom a week after it comes out, there shouldn't be anyone in the theater...

ZING!

SoLiTuDe
10-18-2005, 03:47 AM
think anybody will even be there the night it comes out!? hehe... j/k!

redehlert
03-16-2006, 09:14 PM
And here I thought there wasn't a Seattle Chapter...
Hey guys! Been a member of ConceptArt.org for quite a bit...and a newer member here.
We have weekly sketch meets in Seattle at local coffee shops like Caffe Vita in Cap Hill and tomorrow night will be All City Coffee down in Pioneer Square.
Here's the link - come on out and draw with us. I'm the mod for the Seattle group, so feel free to hit me up with questions.

Hopefully we can merge the two groups into one big local gathering.

Cheers!
D

heavyness
03-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Hopefully we can merge the two groups into one big local gathering.

my thoughts exactly. i'm PM'ing you with more info

redehlert
03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Sweet. I'll get back to ya on that.

Cheers!
D

adam-crockett
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
I wanna play! Email me if you get together!

madyak
03-19-2006, 08:43 PM
I've been buried with work for what seems like ages... I'm hoping to participate more here in the forums over the coming months. I also wouldn't mind sharing a pint or two if you guys get together on the East Side.

redehlert
03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey Guys - we just had a competition with SoCal on this topic: A boy and his 'dog'....
Check it out:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=786080#post786080

Cheers!
D

heavyness
03-19-2006, 09:40 PM
I've been buried with work for what seems like ages... I'm hoping to participate more here in the forums over the coming months. I also wouldn't mind sharing a pint or two if you guys get together on the East Side.

i'm working on something [outside of CGTalk] that will hopefully bring us all together.

wait wait wait...East Side? Pint? The? i'm in Kirkland and drink pints full of guinness

madyak
03-26-2006, 04:22 PM
wait wait wait...East Side? Pint? The? i'm in Kirkland and drink pints full of guinness
I'm hoping to attend the local Alias User Group meeting on Z-Brush, April 4th in Bellevue:
http://www.aliasug-nw.org/Calendar/index.html

I'm sure there's a pub within a stone's throw that has Guinness on tap... if you or anyone else on this board is interested in getting together afterward.

heavyness
03-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm hoping to attend the local Alias User Group meeting on Z-Brush, April 4th in Bellevue:
http://www.aliasug-nw.org/Calendar/index.html

I'm sure there's a pub within a stone's throw that has Guinness on tap... if you or anyone else on this board is interested in getting together afterward.

i'll go. Z-Brush and Maya, two things i'm learning.

madyak
03-26-2006, 06:33 PM
i'll go. Z-Brush and Maya, two things i'm learning.
Sounds good. I've been using Maya for a few years now but Z-Brush is new to me so this should be fun.

See you there.

bentllama
03-27-2006, 08:25 AM
see you cats there.

brinda
04-01-2006, 02:16 AM
Hey all,
Just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself. I'm relocating to the Seattle area at the end of May, and was stoked to find out there is a local CGSociety Chapter. I'm definitely interested in getting involved and meeting people from the local creative community.

—Dave

SoLiTuDe
04-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Hey Dave, welcome to Seattle -- love your site... Looks like I'll have to rape you of knowledge some time :)... Why the move if you don't mind me asking????

brinda
04-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Hey Dave, welcome to Seattle -- love your site... Looks like I'll have to rape you of knowledge some time :)... Why the move if you don't mind me asking????

Thanks for the kind welcome SoLiTuDe—I'd be happy to share what knowledge I have sometime. We're moving(back) to Seattle because of a great opportunity at Microsoft.

—Dave

heavyness
04-02-2006, 04:07 PM
welcome back to seattle Dave. hopefully we'll get a gathering together soon.

redehlert
04-03-2006, 05:01 PM
diggin' that off road vehicle in your cg portfolio, dave.
serious presence there.
hat's off to ya!
ok....back to work.
red

GaijinV
04-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Hola, I'm a regular over at conceptart.org and post there as undertow. I'm down for anything related to meeting up and drawing. The Seattle sketch group has been seriously lacking in the attendance department over the last year so new faces are good! If we're able to merge the conceptart.org group together with the CG Society folks that'd be dope. I'm just now starting to dip my toes in the pool of 3D so I could definitely use the help through the learning process. I don't have a portfolio online but my sketch book has a few pieces that will be revised and make it into my final portfolio in December. I'll link it once I have more than 2 posts up (odd pre-req's on this site for posting even though I'm a full member) you'd think for $30 I'd be able to just dive in.
-Mike V

redehlert
04-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey Mike! Good to see ya in here, m8!
Yeah, if we can merge both groups, that'd be sweet.
Just a heads up - Caffe Vita tonight from 7:30 - 11 pm upstairs. This is the Capitol Hill location. The CA.org Seattle Group meets here every other Saturday. Come on out...be good to meet ya and merge.
Cheers!
D

GaijinV
04-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Any of the cg society guys show up to last nights meet? I should be able to make it out next week if I have a place to crash.
-Mike

GaijinV
04-13-2006, 12:19 AM
There's a new show coming up May 4th-31st at Portlands Compound Gallery (http://www.justbedesign.com/JBD03/compound/0506_kow_yokoyama/kow_yokoyama.html) for Maschinen Kreiger The Art of Kow Yokoyama. The guy is a legend in the ID Mech design community and does some truly geektactular work. Lou Holsten (Skrubbles from conceptart.org) has already said that he's down, and I'll be making a post over at ca.org once the forums are back up. Would anyone be interrested in doing a weekend trip to go check this one out?
-Mike V

heavyness
06-21-2006, 04:27 AM
ok, who wants to get some shit started here? coffee? drinks? anything?

here is a wiki i started for this chapter...

http://seacg.wetpaint.com/

go ahead and add to it/edit it. give it a whirl and try it out.

adam-crockett
06-21-2006, 04:23 PM
Cool, Rick. I added my info to the members list.

adam-crockett
06-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah, for a meeting room, how about the public library meeting rooms? Free + big + internet.

http://www.spl.org/default.asp?pageID=info_meetingrooms

Ok, maybe they aren't free, but some of them look really cheap. http://www.spl.org/default.asp?pageID=branch_central_meetingrooms_fees&branchID=1

Im not sure about locations other than the main branch.

heavyness
06-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah, for a meeting room, how about the public library meeting rooms? Free + big + internet.

i used the Bellevue library meeting room. nice, clean, big, free, internet. the bad thing is you have to sign up for the meeting room 3 months ahead of time because it fills up very quickly. and they don't allow you to sell anything [like if we had a vender show up]. which i don't mind doing if we agree on a set day [last saturday of every other month or something like that].

brinda
06-24-2006, 04:51 AM
I'm down with hooking up!

Although I JUST moved to the area and am not quite settled in yet. (Just started a new gig, bought a new home and am SURROUNDED by a TON of boxes begging to be unpacked).

But if you get a time and location locked up, I'll be sure to block off some time on the calendar!

-Dave

redehlert
06-26-2006, 03:46 PM
i'd be interested....depending on date/time/location of course. :)
cheers,
d

zachlantow
06-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, I'm originally from Seattle, but going to college down here in AZ. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna move back in about a year when I get my BA. One thing I have had a hard time finding out is what are the jobs like up there? I want to work for a company, (not contract work) when I get back. Do you guys have any input to who I should start contacting now so that I can find a job when the time comes? Thanks for any input!

adam-crockett
06-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm originally from Seattle, but going to college down here in AZ. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna move back in about a year when I get my BA. One thing I have had a hard time finding out is what are the jobs like up there? I want to work for a company, (not contract work) when I get back. Do you guys have any input to who I should start contacting now so that I can find a job when the time comes? Thanks for any input!

The Seattle Sputnik website is a good place to start.

http://www.igda.org/seattle/

GaijinV
08-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm currently overseas for another month and a half but just noticed there were messages in here. Has anyone managed to get a meeting together yet? The Seattle conceptart.org group has a sketch night once a week. Lately attentendance has been rather low but I'm sure if we had some new folks show up there might be some renewed interrest.

-Mike V

heavyness
08-09-2006, 03:42 PM
my bad. i've been busy at work and looking for a meeting room we can use [and doesn't run $500 a night...]

bentllama
08-10-2006, 05:15 AM
I'm currently overseas for another month and a half but just noticed there were messages in here. Has anyone managed to get a meeting together yet? The Seattle conceptart.org group has a sketch night once a week. Lately attentendance has been rather low but I'm sure if we had some new folks show up there might be some renewed interrest.

-Mike V

i did not know there was a sketch night. is there a link to the information. i may be interested.

redehlert
08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Here you go! I moderate this thread and will update it today to reflect where the meet will be this weekend.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21945

Cheers!
Dave

heavyness
08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/

August 25th-27th, Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue, WA.

who is all going? i don't know if its possible to get a room [or just take over a table top in the game room], but we can all gets drinks and talk about what we all want the Seattle CGTalk Group to become and how we can all contribute to it to make it better.

Also, PAX would be a great place for the sketch group since gamers sit motionless for hours playing games. :)

*I will be emailing/pm everyone, so you might get this message again.

GaijinV
08-17-2006, 02:03 AM
All of the coolest stuff happens back home while you're on deployment:sad: .. at least I'll be available to attend next year. And if any of you are at PAX this year, have fun!

heavyness
08-18-2006, 03:26 AM
http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/SeattleCG

bentllama
08-26-2006, 08:39 PM
http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/

August 25th-27th, Meydenbauer Center in Bellevue, WA.

who is all going? i don't know if its possible to get a room [or just take over a table top in the game room], but we can all gets drinks and talk about what we all want the Seattle CGTalk Group to become and how we can all contribute to it to make it better.

Also, PAX would be a great place for the sketch group since gamers sit motionless for hours playing games. :)

*I will be emailing/pm everyone, so you might get this message again.

i am heading over to PAX in about half an hour. woot.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2006, 08:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.