PDA

View Full Version : Rain on windows

ChAoS_O
04-29-2005, 05:42 AM
Hi, whats the best way to create phtoto-realistic rain on a window? I have 2 shots - one is complete 3d an the other shot is 2d footage. Both shots are closeups. In the 2d footage there is a man who is leaning his head against the window.
And what i need is rain running down on the window. Maybe using 3d particles which are really hard to control without scripting, or using texture maps, and how to build these kind of animated textures?

Any suggestions?

hiphopcr
04-29-2005, 05:35 PM
I think you can take a look at eyeonline's recent interview with Cafe FX about Sin City where the supervisor said they achieved the look of rain bouncing off of windows "practically," "We went in back and filmed water hitting glass, then employed what we filmed. As we learned, nothing looks more real than reality."

mr_wowtrousers
05-01-2005, 05:38 AM
www.rustboy.com (http://www.rustboy.com/rustweb.htm)

Go to "Making of" and then page 3 for how to do it in post without live footage.

ChAoS_O
05-01-2005, 02:32 PM
Maybe it helps to use a map like the guy used for rustboy. I think the primary use of this map is as a shadow map, but i will try to combine it with some particles. Another artist told me to use Realflow so i will look for a demo version and try it out.

Another question - is it possible to use a map for the "friction" attribute in maya?

mr_wowtrousers
05-01-2005, 11:00 PM
The animated map is used as a displacement map. If you used it in your comp it would distort whatever layer it is applied to. This would make it *look* like water is coming down the pane by imitating the distortion you get when light passes through the flowing water in real life.

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2005, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.