View Full Version : L.A Chapter

SDIT
04-29-2005, 05:32 AM
Ok! who is interested in helping?

Sooooo many opportunities!

mau.

hypercube
04-29-2005, 06:22 AM
Would love to join up and help out if I can, would be nice to get the LA CGT gang back together as the CGS gang, especially with so much 'stuff' going on here.

ntmonkey
04-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm a bit closer this time...but really, we should try to aim at weekends because I'm swamped on the weekdays. I always get frustrated when Gnomon arrange meetings and events on Thursdays. GAh!

peace,

Lu

SDIT
04-29-2005, 03:52 PM
It would definitely be cool to get us all together again. I guess through here we can see who is REALLY interested and who is not.

Weekends would probably be the most viable thing to do since most of us have plenty to do during the week. I hear ya about Gnomon, although I have to admit... I have skipped once or twice to attend :) those are just fun! Plus free beer and pizza is always good!

good to see you onboard ;)

mauricio

character
04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
hey everyone. i'm from the area and interested as to what this "chapter" thing is all about. what does it involve, what is expected from members, stuff like that. can someone please elaborate?

-Guillermo Romero

DZL
04-29-2005, 04:58 PM
hey everyone. i'm from the area and interested as to what this "chapter" thing is all about. what does it involve, what is expected from members, stuff like that. can someone please elaborate?

-Guillermo Romero

i'm down also, but, like the above post, am wondering what it entails...

richcz3
04-29-2005, 05:08 PM
For starters It would help to designate a place to meet with times.
Like Lu mentioned, weekends are best. What's key to the success of any group is scheduling the amount of times for members to meet i.e. Meet quarterly, once a month, etc.
Whomever heads it up, needs to be the most commited to maintain communications and scheduling and be there at every meeting. Secondly, generating interest is all about what the topics are. Is it just a get together for pizza and beer or are these idea, resource, or industry sessions?

If it gets past the planning stage, I would do it in a heartbeat.

SDIT
04-29-2005, 05:25 PM
i am thinking only the people organizing the chapters have "responsabilities" which would include keeping in touch, making the calls and respective legwork, gathering contact info,... etc etc etc. The members responsability would probably be to participate and to be involved.

Based on past experience I believe 4 times a year (to start) is more than enough AND hard enough. Considering schedules and what not. So, based on that, we should think every 3 months. Maybe something like 2 socials and 2 industry related. As in lectures, meet and greets, q&a's, company reel showcases etc etc etc.

mau.

NanoGator
04-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey Rich, we may actually meet! hehe. :)

richcz3
05-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Hey Brian, The last meet up in Santa Monica was quite a ways back. There was a nice turn out. It would be great to see you there. :thumbsup:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=92145&page=11&pp=15&highlight=peeps

See the link above

NanoGator
05-01-2005, 03:52 AM
Which meet was that?

From time to time, I visit the LA LW user group meeting, but it's not in Santa Monica...

NanoGator
05-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Oh... if I were smarter, I would have clicked the link.

(For the record, I read this post in email. It's easy to ignore links in email because the emailed posts generate a lot more...)

Spacemanbob
05-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Damm... Moved from Los Angeles(Long Beach) to College Station, TX dammm...... Gonna have to move back now and just ignore the traffic and high prices. LOL

digitaltoon
05-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Just let me know what we need to do to get the chapter rolling.

SDIT
05-05-2005, 01:44 AM
well, first of all we should start figuring out the dates and a place to meet.

since it took a very long time for a party, why don't we start suggesting now. I think most of us will agree that hollywood is good. OR we can rotate between the west side and hollywood.

suggestions??

mauricio.

SkyZero
05-06-2005, 04:59 AM
I don't live too far from LA and I'd love to participate! :thumbsup:
Sounds like a great way to meet people that are into what I'm into, count me in! :deal:

Cris-Palomino
05-06-2005, 09:44 AM
...being freelance, there is no such thing as business hours. ;) I am also part of Pixel Corps and so at least one weekend can be taken up by that. If we set up a particular weekend of the month, then I think PXC can work around it.

Let me know. Am on AIM/iChat as Arcanagal.

Cris

richcz3
05-06-2005, 02:59 PM
LA covers a huge area and there are people looking at coming from distant locations like Brian and Lu. We could divide the city up. What do you guys think about a West/East/North/South LA chapters with a big get togethers before Siggraph or other industry events.

SkyZero
05-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a plan, but let's find out what area everybody's from and then decide what to do about dividing by region and such. If we're going to have meetings every so many months, I wouldn't mind driving a bit to get there.

Let's get a consensus going on what area everybody interested in the LA chapter is from. Maybe we should post what area we're from or select someone to e-mail the information to? :shrug:

BTW, how long do the meetings run and when do they usually start?

leigh
05-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Oh bah. What do I have to live so far from LA? I am too lazy to make the 3 hour drive :scream:

Ls3D
05-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Oh bah. What do I have to live so far from LA? I am too lazy to make the 3 hour drive :scream:

Be glad, I can't relax unless I'm 3 hours from L.A. Beside it is pretty nice up there in Jackoville, no South African post card view - but mellow cali stylee.

-Shea

hypercube
05-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Well hey, look on the bright side, you're sort of halfway to both the SF -and- LA get-togethers. Would be awesome to have you down here though. How can we coax you into attending, grow lots of hair? :D

I should talk though, still haven't had occasion to be up there for ATHF or anything. Maybe I need to do some research at magic mountain..heh.

A-bit-north-of-here is cool though, have a friend up there, we went to see 3 fireworks shows from his place in the hills..it's very mellow but it's so...3 hours away. :)

leigh
05-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Heh yeah it is kinda nice up here in Jackoville - although a little dull :)

The three hour drive (sometimes longer actually, depending on the time of day) wouldn't be so bad if the last hour or so wasn't fighting your way through the INSANE traffic in and around the LA area - the way people drive there actually frightens me.

hypercube - yeah, still no ATHF, eh! :p

DigitalCrystal
05-06-2005, 06:34 PM
...fighting your way through the INSANE traffic in and around the LA area - the way people drive there actually frightens me.

Darn those drivers making the quick 7 lane changes.... so many cars... it's no wonder there aren't more accidents. I thought Florida drivers were bad, but man, LA takes the cake.. they're even worse than the DC area. Got nothin' against LA, but dang... :bounce:

SDIT
05-06-2005, 07:37 PM
well... if the meetings are every 3 months or so... is it really that bad to drive here? I guess it depends on each of our situations. If you guys want to do several L.A chapters, we can do that also. Both sound good to me. We just have to make some decissions.

And about the traffic... yes L.A is horrible. But I am biased. Latin America is far worse than this so I always find myself thinking... "it's not as bad as home..."

So, the question is... 1 L.A chapter or several?

mauricio.

SkyZero
05-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I think maybe we should try one chapter and see how it goes. During that meeting we'll have a good idea by then if dividing into separate chapters would be better idea for people depending on their situation and location.

mummey
05-06-2005, 08:13 PM
9 days til I'm there guys...

leigh
05-06-2005, 08:18 PM
well... if the meetings are every 3 months or so... is it really that bad to drive here? I guess it depends on each of our situations.

It is a very long way to drive for an hour or so before having to hit the road again ;) I drove down to LA for a press screening about a month ago and it took over four and a half hours to get there because of the traffic from Ventura onwards.

Now, a Santa Barbara chapter, on the other hand... :)

NanoGator
05-06-2005, 08:34 PM
It is a very long way to drive for an hour or so before having to hit the road again ;) I drove down to LA for a press screening about a month ago and it took over four and a half hours to get there because of the traffic from Ventura onwards.

Now, a Santa Barbara chapter, on the other hand... :)

Seconded.

It's a minimum 8 hour commitment (not including the length of the meeting) and a tank of Gas to make a trip to LA from Santa Maria.

hypercube
05-06-2005, 08:37 PM
I will definitely give you that, at the wrong hour traffic is pure hell here..and I really do wonder how there aren't more accidents, since there's only two kinds of drivers, really slow and really fast. Throw in some cell phone conversations and watch the carnage. I live right by Sunset and the 405, which along with Wilshire forms some kind of galactic nexus bermuda triangle singularity of bad traffic, if I need to go somewhere far-ish and I'm not out of here by 3pm, I may as well just order in and throw in some DVDs. :p

Maybe that's why a weekend day would be better all around? It can still clog up but is generally a lot less hassle, and we occasionally do get the weekends off like normal people, once every 5 years or so :D

I agree for now 1 chapter is definitely the way to go, since it's not like we have 100's of people yet. But it would be a good idea to try the more central place like Hollywood or such since it can be a pain to reach all the way over to Santa Monica if you're not already down there, and it'd give others a chance to get in on it.

Maybe we could swipe Sheep and Jeremy's method and get together for a movie at the Arclight or something first?

P.S. Oh and I may finally have a break here in a bit, whether I need to or not I'll try rolling up there for some mooninite shenanigans, I can go off and take pics of the area or something first, just let me know how to reach ya.

richcz3
05-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Distance is one thing, accomodating a large party of people and parking are another.
I admire people who would even consider driving an hour with the way the freeways get.
This may be more the Southern California Chapter. :)

Ok. See lets start with

The city where you are located
Your ideal City to drive to. Your acceptable traveling distance to a meeting on a regular (quarterly) basis.
The 1st point will help give us an idea where we are spread out. A majority will define the centeral location with a travel radius for locations to meet.
The 2nd point will help decide a target area. If its too broad it may be a good idea to split the lot.

There are no right or wrong answers so just be honest.:D

Im in Torrance
Santa Monica Prominade would be my choice as it worked for the first meeting.
Plenty of locations to meet and a variety of areas to park.

SkyZero
05-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Maybe we could swipe Sheep and Jeremy's method and get together for a movie at the Arclight or something first?

That sounds like a plan. Now the only question is if we drink before the movie, after, or both? In the Arclight, it could even be during the movie right? :buttrock:

(j/k about the drinking part, unless you guys want to) :D

About my location:

located in Alhambra (off the 10, right next to the 710)
don't have a preferred meeting place really, just moved here a couple of months ago so i'm up for any place within reason (reason being less than 2 hours of drive time)
Just mapquested the directions from my place to Santa Monica Promenade, looks like about 30 min to me. :thumbsup:

leigh
05-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Maybe that's why a weekend day would be better all around?

Now that's a nice idea. I don't mind driving all that way if I can make a weekend of it - since I rather enjoy Santa Monica and the idea of spending a weekend down there is pretty attractive :)

SDIT
05-07-2005, 06:55 AM
i thought we were doing it on weekends! Well, glad to hear that's confirmed :P

1) i live in Culver City nowadays

2) i will drive for the meetings and make it a weekend if we decide to go far. That's ok with me,
i just need notice to plan it out.

I volunteer to start a database of locations.
So lets say... give everybody 2 weeks to tell us here where you are and where would you go.

We can figure out the evening plan after we know where and when. I guess we could do a movie, but then we would not really "mingle".

mauricio.

hypercube
05-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Was it weekends before? Sheesh it's been so long I thought we had done Fridays or something. D'oh. Anyway yes, good, weekend..heh. So, yeah:

1) I live in Brentwood, as mentioned, car log jam central.

2) I also don't mind a schlep at all or overnight if I have some time to plan it, though things keep cropping up that make it difficult to get 2 days off..but hey that's what Lappys and teh intarnet are for. Obviously Santa Monica is great for me, it's like 15 mins away even in bad traffic, but it would be cool to see alternatives, and I'm always looking for an excuse to be out and about.

On the movie thing, wasn't thinking of that as the focus, they just have it as something to do first, and everyone's usually full of things to talk about afterwards. Cutting to the chase would be fine too. Also if we want to have guests and show reels or things like Leo was talking about, eventually have to figure out accomodations for that? For now I think it'll be enough of a feat to get everyone in one place again!

SDIT
05-07-2005, 06:12 PM
For now I think it'll be enough of a feat to get everyone in one place again!

agreed!

(must make the post long enough)

richcz3
05-07-2005, 07:05 PM
The movie idea sounds good. If people are going to be driving from way on yonder hills I don't expect that a 3-4 hour meet will be worth their effort. A movie followed by a meeting could prove more constructive. Looks good on paper for the moment.

SkyZero
05-08-2005, 01:05 AM
The movie idea sounds good. If people are going to be driving from way on yonder hills I don't expect that a 3-4 hour meet will be worth their effort. A movie followed by a meeting could prove more constructive. Looks good on paper for the moment.

Quoted for agreement! :thumbsup:

Let's get this ball rolling. :D

richcz3
05-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Sorry folks, but I see this languishing in perpetual indecision like the previous attempts to form an LA group. I'll play my trusty SW separatist card and go with the South LA/South Bay Chapter. Santa Monica down through the OC. Even that's a big bite of real estate.

South LA/ South Bay CGSociety Chapter

Mission statement: Creative Project based meetings, software demos, and pipeline discussions. I have access to a conference room. May even consider a nice big screen to play member demo reels. There is plenty of parking. Of course anyone is welcome.

cell: 310-387-7464
Email: rich_even at yahoo.com

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/torrance_01.jpg
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/torrance_02.jpg
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/torrance_03.jpg

SkyZero
05-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm still game for meeting! :applause:
Let's get us a headcount, date, time, and place people!

SDIT
05-17-2005, 03:19 PM
I propose a meet up for Siggraph '05. That should be a good enough excuse to get us all in the same spot!

mauricio

MarkSnoswell
05-19-2005, 12:12 AM
I will be in LA soon -- probably in the first week of June -- 1st - 3rd. How about the have the first LA Computer Graphics Society (CGSociety) meeting then.

I should confirm travel dates in the next day or so. ANy ideas for a venue? ... we have *lots* to show and talk about. I will have a copy of EXPOS'E 3 with me to show around also :)

Cheers

Mark

SDIT
05-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Hey Mark!

I would suggest Hollywood as a good place to start. It's close to many of L.A's surrounding areas. Plus it's a close drive to the Convention Center. I will start searching for options.

Looking foward to this.

Mauricio.

SkyZero
05-19-2005, 01:50 AM
The date sounds like a good possibility. Any idea on the time of day?

MarkSnoswell
05-19-2005, 04:07 AM
OK ... dates still in flux untill everything is booked .. but I am looking at Monday 6th or Tuesday 7th. Evening is the best -- after work.

I will have tons of material with me as I am on my way to speak at the Design Brazil conference late that week.

I am speaking on
1. Ballistic Publishing -- Making the best art books in the world.
2. Evocative -- how to improve the impact of your images.
3. CGSociety -- The Computer Graphics Society, CGTalk and the global digital arts community.
4. High end creature effects for film -- making photo real skin and muscle for "A Sound of Thunder" (Warner Brothers, not released yet)
5. Building the Ultimate Human and MediViewer -- http://www.cgcharacter.com/mediview/
6. Spherical Harmonics -- the ultimate lighting technique for 3D scenes. http://www.cgcharacter.com/shareware/. A demonstration in 3ds Max.

I will also have Making of EXPOS'E 3 material from the AUstralian CGSociety chapter meeting the week before.

And I have thousands of images entered for EXPOS'E 3 that no one outside us ever see -- not a full rez anyway.

Oh -- and there are the CGWorkshops, mor CGSociety benifits and lots more :)

We need somewhere that can accomodate lots of people and has a projector that I can hook up the portable workstation to.

SkyZero
05-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Those days are good for me. as stated by an earlier post, richcz3 has access to a conference room and a possible projector. maybe he'd be willing to host it there? :thumbsup:

AlexAlvarez
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Well, we can fit about 70 people in our screening room @ Gnomon...
if you're interested in this Mark, just talk to Pam.. :)

For the larger events we do (250 people), we rent the sound stage next door to Gnomon... but that costs $, so we'd need a sponsor.

-Alex

mummey
05-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Wow, I'm game! :thumbsup:

I just finally moved out here so I'm looking forward to meeting many of you.

-b

SDIT
05-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks for Posting the news Alex :thumbsup:

hypercube
05-27-2005, 10:24 PM
I'd be down for Gnomon, it's a bit far from me, but so is Rich's place. Whichever works for the most people attending. As long as the meet time isn't near rush hour, then I have to try and escape the vortex. I've never been by the school so would be interesting for that, but either way, look forward to seeing all the goods.

mummey
05-29-2005, 02:57 PM
So when and where we doing this then?

MarkSnoswell
05-30-2005, 02:16 AM
arrggrrr ... Due to a complete screw up over Brazilian Visa I will only be in transit in LA -- I have to spend the days I planned in LA hanging out in Washington DC while my visa application is processed :(

So -- please, please go ahead and organize a get together. I may (flights not confirmed yet) have time to pass on some material to someone as I pass through LAX on Sunday -- an advance copy of EXPOS'E 3 and the presentation material we put together for the Australian Chapter meeting. As soon as I have flights confirmed I will let you all know.

SkyZero
05-30-2005, 04:35 AM
FYI

There is a meeting planned at richcz3's suggested place:

June 25 or 26. 11:00 to 4:00 PM with one break for Lunch.
A majority will pick either Saturday or Sunday.

Feel free to reply to this thread (http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239539) if you plan on coming, PM richcz3, or just show up! The more the merrier! Look foward to meeting you all! :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2005, 04:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.