PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina / North Carolina

TogaMario
04-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Anyone here from the south eastern area of the US? I would be very interested in starting a chapter and know just where to hold the meetings! Apparently the University of North Carolina rents out space for ENWorld DND game days (which I have attended), and may book for CGS chapter meetings.

JeffPatton
04-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm in SC and would attend meetings. I'll check with some other people I've met from the area and see if they are interested as well.

Dennik
04-29-2005, 06:26 PM
I live and work in Winston Salem NC
It would be cool to start something around here

Pulliam
04-30-2005, 01:09 PM
I live and work in Winston-Salem also, so I'd be interested. If you can handle a noob that is. :)

TogaMario
04-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Wow, I'm surprised to see even this many! I hope to get a big enough following to call this a deal :D I'll find out more about how to rent out the UNC conference rooms, and people from SC and NC (or however far you're willing to come from), keep posting!

Dennik
04-30-2005, 06:23 PM
From another thread started from NC cgtalkers i found out that EdHarriss (http://www.cgtalk.com/member.php?u=834) is also in Raleigh. Don't know if he still resides there, but he is a member of CGS. Probably haven't checked this thread yet.

TogaMario
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Wow, wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise! It would be amazing if we could get some industry professionals to visit from local studios like Red Storm, Epic, and Ed Harris :D What other activities do you think everyone would enjoy? Perhaps a few tutorial sessions or something?

issaid
05-05-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm in Raleigh, NC. If you don't mind another noob, then I can probably meet some times.

TogaMario
05-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Hrm, that would make 5 members :thumbsup: I would enjoy making it a larger event, so locals of the NC, SC, VA area (willing to make the pilgrimage) keep posting! Thanks guys, I can now start looking into this seriously :buttrock:

Dennik
05-07-2005, 02:02 AM
I wish i could help but lately i'm working overtime almost every day. Its hard to do much of anything else. But if possible (work allowing) i'd like to meet CGtalkers from around the area.

rynomyte
05-08-2005, 04:48 AM
Hey all! I live in Columbia, SC...I would be interested in meeting with a southeast chapter...Ive been using Max now for about a year and I think it might be cool to meet some fellow CG Talkers.

Lee3dee
05-08-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm also in Raleigh, NC. I would like to help get this chapter going :D.

TogaMario
05-08-2005, 08:54 PM
What area would be easiest for everyone here to get to from where they are? I was originally thinking of the UNC area, because they have pretty large conference rooms that they rent out, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Dennik
05-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Chapel Hill (UNC is located there right?) is very convenient for us NC residents but a bit far away (close to 4.5 hours driving) from folks in SC areas like Columbia. And we have 2 people already that will probably find it hard to visit. Any other ideas?

issaid
05-10-2005, 04:08 AM
I live in Garner, NC, jsut southeast of Raleigh. I jsut got back from Columbia as a friend of mine just had a baby. Except for stops for my new puppy, I can make it in 3.5hrs, going with the flow of traffic, which is 10 over limit usually. That shaves a little bit of time off for those in SC. I basically get on I-20 then take I-95 at Florence and I-40 at Benson.

In Garner, I could possibly get us a conference room occasionally. It's basically a place I may be getting an office at, and I know the owner. I think there is a bunch of office funiture stored in teh room now, but if I moved it, he may let us meet there one night. Just a thought, can't promise anything obviously.

Not sure how cheesy this is, but we could maybe meet at a resturant or something, then just chill at a bookstore like B&N or Borders, but know that I think about it, there are no bookstores of that magnitude here in Garner. We got coffee shops though!

TogaMario
05-10-2005, 03:09 PM
There's a books-a-million in Florence, but I'd like to find a middle ground so that nobody has to drive 3 1/2 hours. Someone get a map, mark all of our cities, and start drawing lines between them. Where they converge, we meet :P Just hope that it's not in McBee, SC (for those not in the know, McBee has one stop light and a dozen police officers with itchy radar fingers through a 35 mph section of highway)

Lee3dee
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
we could meet on the border of NC & SC :D, buy a few lottery tickets, fireworks, etc :D

JeffPatton
05-10-2005, 07:22 PM
we could meet on the border of NC & SC :D, buy a few lottery tickets, fireworks, etc :D

Oh Gawd....lol.

It kills me how they have the fireworks/gas stations in one stop down here...that's a heck of a show just waiting on a spark...lol.

Charlotte is about 1:45 to 2 hours (depending on traffic and North or South Charlotte), from here (Columbia SC). If that's info helps any. And that's going the I-77/I-85 route.

And for additional info..lol. Rock Hill (Dave Lyle Blvd. to be exact), is almost exactly half way from where I live to where my parents live in High Point NC.

TogaMario
05-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Rock Hill is infinitely easier to access for me (My ladyfriend just graduated from Winthrop) Any ideas where we could meet there?

JeffPatton
05-15-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure what would make for a good meeting place. There are many restaurants, a small mall, some small shopping strips, bookstores, etc., right at the I-77 exit (exit 79).

So I'm not sure how "formal" this should be. But since there's only a few of us, something like the Applebee's/Crackerbarrel/J&S Cafeteria, etc...at exit 79 would probably work out just fine...then a trip across the street to the Barnes & Noble (or was it books-a-million...I don't remember).

TogaMario
05-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Sounds like a plan, now how do we get the ball rolling? Lol.

issaid
06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Looks like we all died down. I know I sure have been busy. How has everyone been doing?

JeffPatton
06-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Busy here too (and I thought I had a full plate last month...). Oh well, you won't hear me complain. Actually, it's a good sign that we are all very busy! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2005, 06:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.