PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco - Bay area chapter

SheepFactory
04-29-2005, 03:51 AM
Hi everyone ,

I have been holding up cgtalk meetings in the bay area for the last 3 years and we have quite a few people showing up both professionals and students.

Looking forward to organizing our first official bay area cg society meetup.

If you are in the bay area and interested please let us know here.

-Ali

Kirt
04-29-2005, 04:29 AM
This will probably be the closest one to my area. So keep me on the official invite list and I'll see if I can't make it to a meeting. Time and vehicle are an issue at the moment, but if I get a couple of weeks prior notice I could probably make it work.

Love to get a chance to meet you Ali (and others).

-Vormav-
04-29-2005, 04:37 AM
I'll try and keep up with this one. I'm moving to SF in early June, so I'll be around. Don't know how busy I'll be though.

Zack
04-29-2005, 06:29 AM
I'd love to have a Bay Area meeting or two to be in Silicon Vallery (San Jose, Sunnyvale, Mtn. View, etc.).

San Francisco is a big shlep for me, especially considering I don't have a drivers license.

Zack

SheepFactory
04-29-2005, 06:53 AM
you can take the train man , it takes 30 minutes from san jose to san francisco with the train.

greynite1
04-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Sign me up Yo

I would love to attend the local chapter meetings. Thanks sheep factory for taking point.

Zack
04-30-2005, 08:32 AM
OK, keep me updated...

Zack
Email: zack3d@pacbell.net

HOON
05-01-2005, 01:27 PM
can somebody convince arnold schwarzenegger the governator to join this society?

if not thats fine.
it didnt take me a second to join tho.
count me in please. i shell represent bay area. :D

DangerAhead
05-04-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm down with a monthly beer brawl or a knitting circle. Any day but tuesdays....

Zack
05-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Weekends are definitely the best for me. I can't see being able to get up there on a weekday.

greynite1
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
got class and stuff on those the other 4 days a week so weekends are best.

Need to hook up fo tha WESS SIIIIIDDE!! :buttrock:

AGAD
05-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I would love to attend Bay Area meetings, too. Count me in, please...

Pixelmaestro
05-09-2005, 04:40 AM
I will keep my eyes peeled for future meetings. Figuratively Speaking!

DangerAhead
05-18-2005, 02:03 AM
CG Society Star Wars Event ?

Say Next Sunday Afternoon or Sundeay Evening?

Zack
05-18-2005, 04:34 AM
If it's in the south bay I can almost guarantee I can come. ;)

I'd love to try and make it. What movie theater, what time?

DangerAhead
05-23-2005, 07:36 PM
zack,

I'm betting everyone already saw it.

ashrumm
06-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey guys

Just giving you guys who live in the bay area a heads up I was just recently accepted to the graduate program at AAU. And will be starting in the fall. I look foward to meeting up with you guys in the near future.

SheepFactory
06-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey guys

Just giving you guys who live in the bay area a heads up I was just recently accepted to the graduate program at AAU. And will be starting in the fall. I look foward to meeting up with you guys in the near future.

Welcome to sf Aaron.

Drop me a line when you are here and i'll show you around. Fall is my last semester before i graduate from aau.

ashrumm
06-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
Welcome to sf Aaron.

Drop me a line when you are here and i'll show you around. Fall is my last semester before i graduate from aau.

Thanks for the warm welcome Sheep Factory I'll make I let you know my situation prior to my arrival to the city. It will definitely be nice to get find someone who knows the ins and outs of the city. Thanks again Ali

Darktwin
06-17-2005, 05:10 AM
I'm also moving to the bay area for grad school at AAU this fall. really looking forward to the big jump. also looking forward to meeting up with a lot of you guys and gals. will be keeping in touch. :)

-Vormav-
06-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Forgot about this thread. I've been in SF for a couple weeks now (living on Sutter st.), so I'm in the area now if anyone feels like doing anything.

ashrumm
06-19-2005, 12:36 PM
How was your move Vormav?? And how are you enjoying AAU? and I will definitely look you up when me and Darktwin get there. Look forward to meeting you Vormav, and everyone else on this thread for that matter. See ya soon

-Vormav-
06-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Hehe, the move sucked...3 days of driving in a minivan that was so packed I barely had any leg room at all...http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/aarggggghhhh.gif
I'm a bit split on my impressions of the school right now... Classes start tomorrow (and at 8:30... my sleep schedule is going to need some adjustments!), so that's when I'll really have some decent impressions of the school. But I guess I've been liking it so far. It was good to see that Tareq Mirza (the guy that did the freedom of teach organic modeling dvd) is still full-time here, since I had been under the impression that he wasn't with AAU at all anymore. From all that I've seen so far, all of the resources that you could possibly want are definitely here for the students, so long as you take the initiative to use them. And transferring wasn't quite the nightmare for me that everyone had suggested it would be.
Honestly, I'd have to say that most of my negative feelings towards the school and the area really stem from the fact that I'm terrible at meeting new people. It just makes it hard to adjust. Although, from what I've been noticing lately, some of the people here are even worse off than I am in that respect; some of these people almost never come out of their rooms!
But I do have to point out one other 'negative' point: the wireless internet in the dorms. It's awful... I'm betting that as soon as I try to submit this reply, the connection will dropout. It seems to do it pretty much every minute on my desktop.

SheepFactory
06-20-2005, 01:26 AM
at least you have a connection. They didnt provide internet at all when i was in the dorms.

and yes Tareq rocks , great instructor and perspn.

ashrumm
06-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Do you guys know if Tareq going to be there in the fall semester? I talked to him a few months ago and he said he wasn't sure if he was going to be teaching in the fall. I guess i could send him an email and ask but I thought i'd ask you guys who are currenty taking class or who took classes last semester. Oh don't worry about meeting people Vormav it all comes naturally unless you purposefully wall yourself off from the rest of the world. And besides I look forward to meeting you and Sheep when I move out there for the fall semester. I pretty excited and cannot wait to start school.

Darktwin
06-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Thats cool that your just starting up this summer Vormav, its nice to get a fresh persepective of the school being I'll be starting in a few months out there myself. Yeah I'm not really looking forward to the drive, but we do what we have to in order to adjust. Please keep us posted on your progress and outlook of the school on the monsterous aau thread, I'd like to hear your view of the school as you get aquanted. Really looking forward to meeting everyone out there. . Ashrumm and I fly out there next month to scope out a place to live. It will probably be the second week of july, will keep everyone posted on the details. I'm getting so excited giggidy giggidy giggidy!

DangerAhead
06-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Forgot about this thread. I've been in SF for a couple weeks now (living on Sutter st.), so I'm in the area now if anyone feels like doing anything.

Sutter and what?

I live on Geary, Between Larkin and Hyde. Some VFX supervisor guy from GKR lives across the hall, but I rarely see him.

I think Sheep or someone should send out some private messages (to avoid harvesters) and gather up some emails for beers and stuff.

-Vormav-
06-22-2005, 07:20 AM
Sutter and Mason. I'm at 655 Sutter.
I'd be all up for "beers" and all...but I'm afraid I have almost exactly 1 month before I'm at the right age. Yeah, I'm a young one... ;)

And I'm not sure, ashrumm. I ony talked to him very briefly myself (just long enough to introduce myself and comment on his modeling dvd). It'd be a shame if he was leaving just as all of us get in.

luispages
06-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Well welcome to the city... We are planning on going next week to see War of the Worlds at the Metreon (midnight show) you are welcome to come...

SheepFactory
06-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Well welcome to the city... We are planning on going next week to see War of the Worlds at the Metreon (midnight show) you are welcome to come...

is it thursday night?

luispages
06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Hey Ali is actually on wednesday :)

Edit: I just checked the Metreon website and it opens on wednesday the 29th but I dotn see any midnight show, it says the first show is at 10:30 am, I'm gonna call them and double check.

http://www.fandango.com/MoviePage.aspx?date=6/29/2005&mid=2348

-Vormav-
06-23-2005, 06:14 AM
Hmm... well if it's a night showing, or on wednesday I'm up for it.
The Metreon is such a nice theater, too. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

KOryH
07-28-2005, 04:41 AM
So who are the people in SF and the Bay Area!!!???

Let's try to get in contact with one another and figure something out.
There must be loads of us with the great games and film/animation companies around.

It would be fun to meet and talk art and industry.

piajartist
07-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Well Im still here in the SF area, but where did everyone else go. I know there has to be more AAU students around on this forum.

KOryH
07-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Yeah waht's up with this.
I thought for sure that there would be more people around.
I mean there is quite a bit of work being done in the area.

SO Piajartist,
Are you a student or are you working here. and where are you located

Darktwin
07-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Ok this is wierd, there was a SF chapter posted but its now here anymore, it must have gotten deleted, I'm really confused, I don't know why it was removed for some apparent reason maybe. So there was a SF bay area chapter established. Very wierd. I'm going to be an AAU grad student this fall, and I'm really looking forward to diving right in.

ashrumm
07-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah waht's up with this.
I thought for sure that there would be more people around.
I mean there is quite a bit of work being done in the area.

SO Piajartist,

I will be going to AAU next month, but there used to be a San Fran chapter in this forum but i haven't the fondest idea of where that has gone to. But anyways yeah i'll be in the bay area here shortly. I start on the 1st of september, so yeah I look forward to meeting anyone who wants to meet up. See you guys soon.

piajartist
07-29-2005, 08:11 PM
I will be going to AAU next monthI start on the 1st of september, so yeah I look forward to meeting anyone who wants to meet up. See you guys soon.

glad to hear your coming to AAU. Hope to see you guys around campus.

piajartist
07-29-2005, 08:13 PM
SO Piajartist,

Yeah, i'm a student at the moment and am starting my junior year this fall. I live really close to school in the Downtown/Lower Nob Hill Area.

KOryH
07-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Deleted!!???
It's all some sort of wacked out conspiricy.

-Vormav-
08-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Another AAU guy here, at the brodie dorm atm.

Darktwin
08-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Very cool Piajartist, My bro and I are looking at finding a a 2 bedroom in the nob hill area, Ashrumm flies out next tuesday to hopefully lock down a place in the nob hill area, it being a nice area and close to the school. Looking forward to meeting you guys. Ashrumm and I flew out there a few weeks ago and really liked the town, we stayed at the Central YMCA in the Tenderloin district to save money and to also experience the city life. (Yeah, lots of bums, but it comes with the territory, besides, what big city doesn't have them?) We did a lot of walking which reminded me of my undergrad years, (not very long ago :))

Took a tour of the school which was really cool. We got to see most of the different buidlings and schools available, the Gallery was really sweet, the work was just jaw droppingly amazing. The illustration building was very very awesome, great inspiration on the walls of the hallways. The animation building was really cool, lots of hardware and cool work aswell being showcased. Just seeing really good work has really hardened my determination and resolve to work hard. I'm really anxious to live in SF, great cultural diversity, weather, etc. It was really intersting when walking around the city to hear more people speaking foreign languages than english. I almost felt like I was in another country, very captivating.

Being our first time to San Fransico I kept in contact with Shadow Slayer and Sheepfactory and got to meet those guys in person. What a impressive pair of guys they are, really down to earth, cool, and great peronalities. Couldn't ask for better host to a great city. One of the most memorable experiences was adventuring to Linkin park and stumbling upon the Coastal trail, absolutely breath taking. The trip to get a feel for the city, school and residental areas was really a mini vacation. The only thing that sucked about it was the mini part. But soon it will be called my home. :)
I just can't wait :buttrock:

Kirt
08-03-2005, 07:51 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=235364

There we be. :D

You have to change your default viewing to show threads "from the beginning". Default will only show threads that have been posted in within the last month.

piajartist
08-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Another AAU guy here, at the brodie dorm atm.

Ahhh. dorm life, that brings back some good memories. Who said art school dorms blew anyway.

KOryH
08-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Heh,
Sorry Kirt.
Well, so is there anything going on?

Kirt
08-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Uhm yeah ... no official plans for anything right now. I don't know if Sheep Factory is still organizing this group or not. We really should plan something though. I've finally got myself a car that could make it to SF, :blush: so I'm game for a weekend thing sometime.

If something is planned, advance notice (at least a week) and good directions would be appreciated. I've been in SF a few times, but I'm not familiar with where everything is. I got lost trying to find Fisherman's Warf last visit there. :D

I'm also going to merge this thread with the other ... no need for two SF threads.

ashrumm
08-22-2005, 07:56 PM
I am currently in Ascuncion Paraguay visiting my girlfriend, and after this trip is over I will be moving in my new apartment in S.F. i cannot wait to start school at the academy here in a few days I look forward to meeting up with you guys. And what happend to this thread about a month back it dissapeared. Well anyways i havenŽt been in front of a computer in many days now and I thought iŽd say hi to everyone in the bay area where i will be moving here pretty soon. IŽll definitely be looking forward to meeting you guys here pretty soon take care.

Chau Chau...........

ashrumm
09-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Okay i'm back from Paraguay and school has obviously started at The academy here in San Francisco. School is going pretty good thus far. Taking a few classes that are going well, How is everyone else doing as of now? I haven't met any of you guys yet and was wondering what you guys are doing sometime in the near future. Figured i moved here from Kansas it wouldn't be a bad thing to meet some new people. My schedule as of now is not that bad, i'm pretty sure it won't last long. But if anyone wanted to meet up i'd be up for a chat at a coffee shop a beer, whatever. Just send me a pm or an email.

Later

moraisins
09-16-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm new to CGSociety, but it would be great to go to an SF meeting. Anyone from the East Bay? ;p

moraisins

Per-Anders
09-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Guess I should add myself to the list. So who's up for going to see the Corpse Bride when it comes out?

-Vormav-
09-16-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd be willing to go. That's next friday, right?

Per-Anders
09-17-2005, 04:50 AM
yes, it opens the 23rd. so it'd be cool to get a cgtalk chapter outing to it.

ashrumm
09-23-2005, 07:33 AM
I know me Darktwin and Sheep Factory are going to go see it on Saturday morning the 10:30 show if you don't mind getting up in the morning we're meeting at the Metreon.

jeremybirn
10-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, something in the East Bay might be good. I'm also in the city sometimes, I do a course at the Academy on monday nights.

-jeremy

kingmango
06-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Sacramento here. I am selling my truck to buy a new boxx, but I am good with Amtrak and BART no problems.

FirstManOnMars
08-28-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi, decided to join up as I work on my new reel and portfolio. Just saying what's up to you guys, I'd love to meet other artists in the Bay area... Art or animation shows, colaborative projects, bar hopping, whatever.

-Matt

MrHobby
09-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi, i just saw this thread i didnt know so many cg artists live around the bay area!
I've noticed that this thread (with the exception on the above post) have been unposted in for almost a year? Is there still meetings, or going to be? I think this is an exellent idea!
Sign me up!

E-mail: revolutions_inc@hotmail.com

KOryH
09-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Yeah, It would be cool to meet some of you guys, but I guess most of around hear are busy working, teaching or learning.
Maybe someday!

Raven207b
09-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Hello all! I'm new here and just checking things out. This thread caught my eye since I'm in the East Bay. It would be interesting to be able to contact other artists in the area...

Raven

Darksuit
10-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Also in the area as well. Truth be known I have always been in the area... =) Anywho. We should get a get togther going if for no other reason than to do a bay area meet and greet with the other artists in the valley. There do seem to be a fair number of us too.

--Darksuit

TopherMartini
12-28-2006, 04:02 AM
Have there been any updates on a meet-up in the Bay Area?

It would be fun to have an informal gathering at Metreon or somewhere that's easily accessible by car or CalTrain :thumbsup:

MrHobby
01-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Agreed. Creative conversation, is anything better?:thumbsup:

TopherMartini
01-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Well MacWorld is next week, so things in and around Metreon/Moscone would be fairly well packed in.

Anyone interested in having a meet-up the week after MacWorld (or maybe even the week of...)?

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2007, 02:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.