PDA

View Full Version : Australian Chapter - who's from Australia?

Leonard
04-29-2005, 03:24 AM
OK guys, seeing that we're from Australia, we need to setup an Australian chapter with meetings and such. I want to organise a first meeting somewhere (probably Sydney or Melbourne) in June with a massive EXPOSE' 3 launch, CG prints launch and more. Will also try to get some speakers in.

Who's from Australia and can potentially either help out or be at an AU meeting?

Leo

Update:

CGSociety Australian Chapter - Preliminary List of Members:

- Martin Brennand, Melbourne
- Tristan Lock, Sydney
- Arild Wiro, Sydney
- Jay C Miller, Melbourne
- Grant Regan, Sydney
- Stephen Vesperman, Coral Point
- Julius Garofali, Sydney
- Marcel Harfouche, Sydney
- George Samuels, Melbourne
- Jared Martin, Canberra
- Peter Thomas, Brisbane
- Richard Nichols, Melbourne
- Mick Odelli, Sydney
- Richard Honey, Brisbane
- Brooke Luder, Melbourne
- Geoff Hill, Sydney
- Lee WJ, Adelaide

I left out the Ballistic staff cuz we're all part of it anyway.

erilaz
04-29-2005, 03:49 AM
More than happy to help out Leonard! :D

pencil-head
04-29-2005, 03:58 AM
Count me in.

JayCMiller
04-29-2005, 04:39 AM
same here :)

unitstudio
04-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Hey Leonard, while I'm pretty flat out with work I don't think there'd be a problem showing up if its in Sydney or Melbourne. So count me in as well.

Mibus
04-29-2005, 05:03 AM
Meee! ;) :thumbsup:

SteveV
04-29-2005, 05:17 AM
I can be there if it's in Sydney, what do you need help wise?

Julius
04-29-2005, 05:28 AM
I can help in Sydney :thumbsup:

Mibus
04-29-2005, 05:40 AM
OK folks, a nice spot to put all of your Sydney posts in one place!

Mibus
04-29-2005, 05:40 AM
OK folks, a nice spot to put all of your Melbourne posts in one place!

Mibus
04-29-2005, 05:41 AM
Sydney thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=235393
Melbourne thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=235394

:thumbsup:

erilaz
04-29-2005, 05:52 AM
Whee! Um... yeah.:D

Anyhoo... as an order of general interest to Melbourne (and anyone who wants to fly in!), the Australian Effects and Animation Festival is coming up in June.

Here's the current sessions:
http://www.dmw.com.au/html/aeaf.htm

For people who want to meet up during or after the festival, let me know!

Neeno
04-29-2005, 07:10 AM
swweet... this is cooll.. ....QQ see you all around

Neeno
04-29-2005, 07:12 AM
i can help if its in sydney... when and what are we helping with?

unitstudio
04-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Just a question, is there to be an Australian chapter, or separate chapters for cities/states given there's an Australian thread, and now sydney and melbourne threads?

-g

Leonard
04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Good question. I think that it would depend on the numbers of people. Personally I would have wanted to start up an "Australian" chapter to begin with (all in one) but if there are enough people in each major capital city to warrant it's own meetings and such, then we'll split them up.

What do you think?

Leonard

unitstudio
04-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I think we should have an australian chapter initially - that'd be my preference too. If and when it becomes too unwieldy and unmanageable then maybe we can consider splitting it. my vote is for an australian chapter foremost.

-g

pencil-head
04-29-2005, 10:29 PM
So what's the plan? How are these chapter thingies going to be ran/organised?

Leonard
04-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Update:

- Tristan Lock, Sydney
- Arild Wiro, Sydney
- Grant Regan, Sydney
- Stephen Vesperman, Coral Point
- Julius (who?), Sydney

Those are pretty good startup numbers btw. ATM it looks like Sydney could have the first Chapter meeting with those numbers. Do you guys have any suggestions on venues and such?

BTW -- if you need to contact me, my email is: leonard@ballisticmedia.net
You can also call me at the office: (08) 8388 5966 during working hours.

Leonard

siosism
04-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Respresenting Melbourne! Oh yeah, erilaz, I'll be at the AEAF too! Perhaps I'll see you there! I can't wait for that!!! Woot woot!

Take care n peace,

Siosi

Jozvex
04-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Err, lets have it in Canberra!

*cricket cricket*

Well, hehe, I'm in Canberra.

unitstudio
04-30-2005, 06:33 AM
An upstairs room in a pub could be good. There's a few decent places aorund the inner city - newtown, erskineville, glebe balmain for instance.

Neeno
04-30-2005, 03:27 PM
hmmm... thats a bit hard i just say make it city sydney... dont go like balmain or newtown/... just do it in area where everyones familiar too like something between central and town hall stationa pub around there... well if i may pose an option , me and the class that im in COmputer graphics college usually after class go to a pub up the road.. there a good seating area there we can chat have a beer and discuss anything with no disturbances.. and a thai place upstairs in case anyones hungry.. if you guys are interested then i'll be glad to give address details etc... let me know please... cheers...

unitstudio
04-30-2005, 03:54 PM
There really aren't any decent pubs I can think of around Central or town hall...most of them are dives, and there's no parking for those with cars (like myself). That's why I was recommending an inner city area - close to the centre but far better ambience, far more options. Let's all put forward suggestions, and we can vote on it.

Once a location is settled upon, it'll be fairly easy to give people directions and a map from Sydways....

-g

Julius
04-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Good idea guys, i agree with unitstudio. I'll vote for balmain, many places to choose from around that area!

unitstudio
04-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Well even if balmain is difficult to get to, east sydney and darlinghurst (darlo bar for one), woolloomoolloo (there's some great places along the waterfront - ther'e one place that has the larget selection of beers I've seen and a huge upstairs area - i've forgotten it's name), paddington (heaps of great pubs, or alternatively, the fox and lion at Fox studios), and surry hills are all really easy to get to from the city centre, either a simple bus-ride or often you can just walk.

Oh and Balmain is a simple ferry ride from Circular Quay

-g

T4D
04-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I've from Brisbane but if I'm free love to come down and check things out when thay happen:bounce:

unitstudio
04-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Cool, it'd be great to have you come down T4D. it might be cool if there's enough people in each city to send open invites to people in other cities. It therefore open for members across the country to visit a meeting in any city. I wouldn't mind travelling interstate occasionally to catch up with the melbourne or brisbane groups.

-g

erilaz
04-30-2005, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't mind travelling interstate occasionally to catch up with the melbourne or brisbane groups.

-g

Very true... A good excuse to get out of our own cities for a breath of fresh air!

tibes
05-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Another Melbourne-ite here :wavey:

MickO
05-01-2005, 12:43 PM
:bounce:me from Sydney! :bounce:

Would love to meet all you big gurus out there.

Neeno
05-01-2005, 03:54 PM
sweet unit ... when you guys figure it out and where its gonna be held i'll be there for sure...balmain wherever... its all good! see you guys soon!

Inaudable
05-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Another brisbanite here :D

Wiro
05-02-2005, 05:29 AM
Cool, I just noticed this thread now. I'd love to get this going. Actually last weekend a few of us in Sydney organized a meetup at Clock Bar in Surry Hills. The turnout was really good. I think we were 30-40 people from various companies and CGTalk (Grant, I'm surprised Vinh or anyone else didn't get in touch with you about this!).

It was really cool and I was thinking of doing this once a month or so. Would be great if it could all be umbrellaed under a CGTalk chapter.

What exactly would these chapters be for? Meet and greets? Or also including lectures, exhibitions, etc? Tell me what's needed and I'll see if there's anything I can do.

Wiro

unitstudio
05-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Actually last weekend a few of us in Sydney organized a meetup at Clock Bar in Surry Hills. The turnout was really good. I think we were 30-40 people from various companies and CGTalk (Grant, I'm surprised Vinh or anyone else didn't get in touch with you about this!).

Cool, the clock is an awesome venue - I'd go with that for sure, and besides, there's also plenty of restaurants in the area to start off in if we feel like organising dinner as well. As for not telling me about it, maybe that was intentional? ;)

It was really cool and I was thinking of doing this once a month or so. Would be great if it could all be umbrellaed under a CGTalk chapter.

And if we can get them all to sign up to CGS, all the better :D

What exactly would these chapters be for? Meet and greets? Or also including lectures, exhibitions, etc? Tell me what's needed and I'll see if there's anything I can do.

Wiro

Good point. :) Any ideas anyone? I would say the meetings will tie in with announcements and roll-outs on CGS.... :shrug: I guess :)

Wiro
05-02-2005, 05:47 AM
There is also the Sydney Siggraph chapter (http://sydney.siggraph.org.au)
I've never been to it before but they're having an event this Wednesday (Basic principles of camera and lighting) which I might go to. Is it worth starting up our own chapter if this one is already about or is it totally different?

...clueless

Wiro

Wiro
05-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Hehe, hardly intentional. I'll get in touch with you for the next one for sure!

Wiro

SteveV
05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm an hour and a half from the the city, two if the traffics bad, but count me in if there's something going on.

erilaz
05-03-2005, 03:23 AM
Could I get a list of people interested in meeting up at the AEAF on June 1st? Some of you have already mentioned interest or attendance:

George Samuels (ilandesigns)
Jay Miller (JayCMiller) - possibly... if work forks out the cash. :D

JayCMiller
05-03-2005, 07:35 AM
yeah haven't asked about that yet, I'll get back to you when I know.

unitstudio
05-03-2005, 11:26 AM
There is also the Sydney Siggraph chapter (http://sydney.siggraph.org.au/)
I've never been to it before but they're having an event this Wednesday (Basic principles of camera and lighting) which I might go to. Is it worth starting up our own chapter if this one is already about or is it totally different?

...clueless

Wiro

I think starting our own chapter is preferable simply because CGS is going to evolve and activities of the chapters will increasingly revolve around that. Initially, it'll just be meet'n'greet, but incresingly i think it will tie in with the plans Leonard and Mark have for CGS, especially as it gains industry recognition. I envisage networking and industry meetings. Colab projects, formation of new teams (and possibly start-ups). I'v'e been fortunate to have full-time work as a concept artist for the past 3.5 years but it's a fickles and difficult industry. Therefore, I very much like the idea of recognition the CGs membership will bring and the potentials contacts also. And well, maybe too, I can contribute something... :)

So let's just meet for drinks, to get to know first. Should we plan it for someitme next month - by that time we should have a bit more of an agenda given the rapid roll-out of CGS?

-grant

zilla
05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
hi ya everyone! another melbounite here!

melvakar
05-04-2005, 09:44 AM
i'm in for Sydney =)

PaulHellard
05-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Hey there,

I'd love to catch up some some of you guys at the AEAF in Melbourne (June 1st), as was mentioned earlier.

Just a meet and greet, and a 'get-to-know'.

LohnS
05-04-2005, 10:18 PM
count me in for sure! in Adelaide at the moment but after an overseas film job for 6 months ill start heading up the east coast, Virgin plane ticket easy enough to go to any of the meetings in the future too =)

This is all sounding great btw =D

Leonard
05-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Whoa guys!

We've got quite a list of names here already:

Update: 5 May

- George Samuels, Melbourne
- Richard Nichols, Melbourne
- Brooke Luder, Melbourne

- Tristan Lock, Sydney
- Arild Wiro, Sydney
- Grant Regan, Sydney
- Stephen Vesperman, Coral Point (Sydney?)
- Julius Garofali, Sydney
- Mick Odelli, Sydney
- Geoff Hill, Sydney

- Jared Martin, Canberra
- Peter Thomas, Brisbane
- Richard Honey, Brisbane
- Lee WJ, Adelaide

I will be at DMF/AEAF in June - Who else is going and who wants to meet up?

Leonard

---

erilaz
05-04-2005, 11:34 PM
I will be at DMF/AEAF in June - Who else is going and who wants to meet up?

Leonard

---

I'm going and will defintately meet up, and these guys are also there:
George Samuels (ilandesigns)
Jay Miller (JayCMiller) - not definate yet.

whitehorse
05-05-2005, 04:35 AM
count me in, i am in Sydney

siosism
05-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Alo Leonard. Sounds good, I'm up for a meet wit you guys! Should be fun :D but I'm tellin you, no1 will think I'm into computers at all... because of the way I dress... hahahha... anyways, can't wait!

Peace,

Siosi

SteveV
05-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Coal Point is about 1 1/2 hours north of Sydney Leonard, Lake Macquarie if you know the area.

MBackhouse
05-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Also in Sydney. I'll definitely attend any event that is set up and can also help with anything if needed.

heathenPagan
05-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Hey there,

I in Melbourne. More than willing to help out if I can around work commitments.

Heath Pagram

erilaz
05-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Hey there,

I in Melbourne. More than willing to help out if I can around work commitments.

Heath Pagram

Hey heath... where do you work at? :)

andrewsilke
05-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I'll probably be able to make it to a sydney event, are there any dates yet?
Hey Wiro!

-Andrew

Wiro
05-10-2005, 05:56 AM
Ahahaha, more Animals! Cool to see you here, Andrew.

Well, I hope we can all meet up soon.
May I suggest Friday 27th of May at Clock Bar, Surry Hills (top floor)?

Wiro

erilaz
05-10-2005, 05:58 AM
How much is a flight between melbourne and sydney these days? :D

JayCMiller
05-10-2005, 06:54 AM
it all depends on what time and what seson, I've seen vergin blue for $90!! if you don't mind leaving really early there are real cheap fights.

does your teacup fly starships too?:D

erilaz
05-10-2005, 08:29 AM
it all depends on what time and what seson, I've seen vergin blue for $90!! if you don't mind leaving really early there are real cheap fights.

does your teacup fly starships too?:D

Is that return? That's pretty good if it is! Just trying to work out if it's worth my while coming up for a Sydney meet then spending the weekend with my GF.

The tecup thing is just for the Starwars avatar theme going on. Are you changing yours? :D

JayCMiller
05-10-2005, 11:37 PM
no thats oneway, I just had a look and the cheapest was $99, but the prices will change day to day depending on how full the flight is close to the departure day, also if the two carriers start to have price wars.

don't need to change my avatar, though I should put my own work in after SW III.

Neeno
05-11-2005, 06:15 AM
only yesterday they were 79$....
stay updated on there virgins webbie.. u can get heaps cheap tickets... so is it a forsure may 27th guys or you still not sure wiro?? keep us posted would love to meet a few of you guys..

heathenPagan
05-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Hey Erilaz,

I'm at Bluetongue. Animating for games.
What about you?

Cheers.

Sorry about my super late response......:P

Leonard
05-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Hi all,

Just finalising our involvement in the Digital Media Festival 1-3 June in Melbourne. I will be there and will be happy to meet up with anyone else there.

More info soon!

Leonard

erilaz
05-12-2005, 06:44 AM
For you Digital Media Festival people, who's up for food on the evening of the first day (June 1st)? If I get numbers, I can book us somewhere nice and not pricey.:D

Leonard
05-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Guys, I just got off the phone with DMF.

We will be having our inaugural CGSociety Australian Chapter meeting on Wednesday 1st June 6PM in the DMF Theatre, Melbourne Convention Centre.

I'll make a big announcement about it tomorrow once we've nailed down everything else.

Leonard

heathenPagan
05-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi Leonard,

Will we still be able to attend the chapter meeting if we aren't going to DMF?

erilaz
05-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey Erilaz,

I'm at Bluetongue. Animating for games.
What about you?

Hey, missed the post before! :D I work in the broad area of "graphics development" for games at Tabcorp. This means I have to do a bit of everything. Animating, modelling, texturing and the occasional sound editing and programming. How's bluetongue going for you?

heathenPagan
05-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey, missed the post before! :D I work in the broad area of "graphics development" for games at Tabcorp. This means I have to do a bit of everything. Animating, modelling, texturing and the occasional sound editing and programming. How's bluetongue going for you?

Yeah good, enjoying animating alot. Can't wait 'til AM in Sept...:bounce:

Leonard
05-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Hi Leonard,

Will we still be able to attend the chapter meeting if we aren't going to DMF?

Yes, but you have to register for the expo (free) at www.dmw.com.au

Leonard

Roux
05-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi all.

Seems like the banana benders need some more heads. I'm on the Gold Coast / Brisbane:)

SteveV
05-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Anything further on the Sydney get together?

erilaz
05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Anything further on the Sydney get together?

Yeah what's the story? :D

Wiro
05-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Well, I'm gonna be there wether the rest of you are or not :D

Wiro

Leonard
05-17-2005, 12:13 AM
No updates on the Sydney meetup yet. I'm just trying to get one thing done at a time, so our first will be in Melbourne. Still trying to get everything together for that as it's only a couple of weeks away.

Best,

Leonard

erilaz
05-17-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm just trying to get one thing done at a time, so our first will be in Melbourne. Still trying to get everything together for that as it's only a couple of weeks away.

Best,

Leonard

Will you post an agenda pre-meetup? What did you have in mind?

Leonard
05-17-2005, 02:13 AM
The CGSociety will be at the Australian Digital Media Festival, 1-3 June 2005 in Melbourne. Our inaugural CGSociety Australian Chapter meeting will be held on Wednesday 1 June 2005, 6PM at the DMF Theatre, Melbourne Convention Centre. All are welcome. This is a free event for all to attend, so please do help spread the word.

Time/Place
6PM, Wednesday 1 June 2005
DMF Theatre, DMF Expo, Melbourne Convention Centre

Agenda*
- The CGSociety Launch, Announcements, Keynote and Chapter Formation – Mark Snoswell and Leonard Teo
- The Making of EXPOSE’ 3 – Daniel Wade
- D’artiste Character Modeling and Matte Painting Preview – Mark Snoswell
- CGWorkshops Update – Leonard Teo
- CGPrints Preview – Leonard Teo
- Q&A Session

Registration
All are welcome, registration is free. All DMF Expo attendees must register at:
http://www.dmw.com.au/ssl/content/forms/freeticket.cfm

Note that the Agenda is subject to change without notice.

Leonard
05-17-2005, 02:17 AM
BTW we're going to make up a printable PDF file so that everyone can help print them or forward them on to friends.

Thanks,

Leonard

Wiro
05-23-2005, 03:04 PM
That's fantastic! I'm sad that it's in such a short time. Don't think I can make it...but, maybe...hmmm

Well as an inofficial industry meetup, so to say a warmup for Melbourne I still wanted to say that this Friday 27th at Clock Bar (top floor) in Sydney's Surrey Hills is definately still on for those who live in the area.
There will be people from Animal Logic, Perception, Team Bondi, MicroForte, some from Ambience, Plastic Wax and various other companies there. It's actually more of a friends and friends of friends meetup but everyone is welcome to join in.

You can find Clock over here:
Clock Hotel (http://www.clockhotel.com.au/)

Wiro

DaddyMack
05-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Well as an inofficial industry meetup, so to say a warmup for Melbourne I still wanted to say that this Friday 27th at Clock Bar (top floor) in Sydney's Surrey Hills is definately still on for those who live in the area.
There will be people from Animal Logic, Perception, Team Bondi, MicroForte, some from Ambience, Plastic Wax and various other companies there. It's actually more of a friends and friends of friends meetup but everyone is welcome to join in.

You can find Clock over here:
Clock Hotel (http://www.clockhotel.com.au/)

Wiro

Hi Wiro, I'd really love to meet with some of you folk... I'll try drop in at the clock and see if I can spot you guys out... I'm kind of introverted but it would be interesting to put faces to some of these great entities that regularly appear on my screen... Yourself inclusive;), thanks for extending the invite mate!

Rob

whitehorse
05-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Yeah wiro i will try and make it myself, it will be good to meet some more of the people from sydney

Wiro
05-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Heya Rob. Don't be shy. Last time people didn't quite know who to talk to at first either but after a few drinks you just plonk into any conversation and start talking :D

As for recognizing eachother, hmm...
Well, my pic is on page 6 of the "post random photos (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=235615&page=6&pp=15)" thread.
There's also this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224135&page=1&pp=15)from last Sydney meetup with a few pics of people who came.

If that fails, head for the people with the palest skin :D

Wiro

DaddyMack
05-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Heya Rob. Don't be shy. Last time people didn't quite know who to talk to at first either but after a few drinks you just plonk into any conversation and start talking :D

As for recognizing eachother, hmm...
Well, my pic is on page 6 of the "post random photos (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=235615&page=6&pp=15)" thread.
There's also this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=224135&page=1&pp=15)from last Sydney meetup with a few pics of people who came.

If that fails, head for the people with the palest skin :D

Wiro

Faark... Got tied up...just got home from a loong meeting... Sorry guys (and mostly sorry me:sad:) I look forward to a few beers with some of you in the future... Again Wiro Cheers mate :beer: I hope you guys all had a thoroughly mental time!

unitstudio
05-28-2005, 03:06 AM
Hey guys, how'd did it go last night?

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. I've been frantically busy preparing for my relocation to Oslo, which takes place in less than 3 weeks - it would've been great to have caught up with old friends and put some faces to the names here.

Shame there doesn't appear to be a norwegian chapter... :S

-g

Julius
05-28-2005, 04:02 AM
I would of loved to join in however i had to work :(

Wiro
06-01-2005, 05:18 AM
Akh, too bad some of you couldn't make it. I think everyone had a good time and it was nice seeing some new faces. Next time I'll have to take some pics =)

Grant, I think we'll make up for it at your and Vinh's leaving do ;)

Wiro

whitehorse
06-01-2005, 09:05 AM
yeah i was trying to get there, but jsut got caught up with other things, will make sure i get to the next one

siosism
06-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Hey guys,

I think the animation festival was very successful. The 1st day went very well, but the Constantine and Star Wars presentations today (2nd day) were just fantastic. I loved every bit of it. Just to be able to see how they worked on those movies. Very educating. I found myself taking notes, on I don't know what, but the fact that I was motivated to do so says something. I hardly take notes on anything muahaha. Too bad I didn't get to meet the other CGSociety members though. Would've been nice. I was rushing in between the Melbourne Convention Centre and RMIT. Anyways, overall, it was very satisfying. Just wish they had more guys from the US come in and talk to the rest of us.

Does anyone know what the next animation-related festival/seminar/conference will be? Or where it will be held? If there's anything related to animation & special fx goin around, please inform us!

Take care everybody,

Siosi

erilaz
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey guys,

I think the animation festival was very successful. The 1st day went very well, but the Constantine and Star Wars presentations today (2nd day) were just fantastic. I loved every bit of it. Just to be able to see how they worked on those movies. Very educating. I found myself taking notes, on I don't know what, but the fact that I was motivated to do so says something. I hardly take notes on anything muahaha. Too bad I didn't get to meet the other CGSociety members though. Would've been nice. I was rushing in between the Melbourne Convention Centre and RMIT. Anyways, overall, it was very satisfying. Just wish they had more guys from the US come in and talk to the rest of us.

Does anyone know what the next animation-related festival/seminar/conference will be? Or where it will be held? If there's anything related to animation & special fx goin around, please inform us!

Take care everybody,

Siosi

Hmmm... must have missed you somewhere. did you come to the CGS meeting?

PaulHellard
06-02-2005, 01:08 PM

Take care everybody,

Siosi

Hey there Siosi,

These Digital Media Festivals usually pull some pretty good speakers and I'm glad to hear your opinion of what I thought was pretty cool too. I snuck back down to get to both those sessions as well. The next Animation/FX festival around Oz will be the perhaps the somewhat larger Sydney Digial Media Festival by the same guys, though I shall keep my eyes open for other Melbourne-based shows... I'll post them as they come to mind.
Tomorrow is the last day here in Melbourne (Friday 3rd June). If people havent been in, or couldn't make it in beforehand, come over and see us at the stand.

Thats right, CGNetworks/Ballistic Publishing have a stand at the Melbourne DMF and are selling books across the counter. Some of the people from the Melbourne editorial office will be there, including myself, so please come across and make yourself known.

erilaz
06-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Hey Paul, it was great to meet you and the Ballistic team! Hope your sales are going well! I would have loved to buy some... but I pretty much own most of them already!:D

niotxx
06-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey guys,

Another brisbanite over here. I'd be more than happy to help out in any events etc whereever they may be.

stace

tilite
06-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Well that sucks! I was so close to goign too but just got swamped under at the last minute had my ticket and all.

If only i knew about this hread too i would have made sure i was there. Well if there is any upcomming events u need assistance with i will be more then happy to assist with.

Tom Frauenfelder
Melbourne Australia

Icarus
07-04-2005, 03:56 AM
ditto, always happy to help out :)

siosism
07-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Hello everybody,

Erilaz - No, I didn't go to the CGS meeting. I couldn't make it, because I had some family thing to attend to. It's a pity though, because I was eager on attending it. Oh well, there's always next time :P I felt like I was the only 18 year old there on the first day lmao.

Hmedia - I should've introduced myself to you guys properly lol. I saw the stand, but there were so many people at it, that I just couldn't be bothered hahaha. Very foolish of me, I know. It won't happen again :)

Anyways, just thought I'd pop in and see how people are doing. I'm starting on Alias Maya this week :) Finally have the time to sit down and learn more about the program. I've always been keen on it, but never got around to the PLE. But I got my hands on it at the festival, and hahaha, I'm ready to begin. Can't wait to see what I can come up with. I've been working with Photoshop and Flash mostly in the past, but my real desire was to work with animation and special effects. It's just so interesting. I'm always looking out for cgi in movies these days. Analyzing things here and there. Anywho, I'll stop blabbering and be on my way :D

Take care everyone,

Siosi

Icarus
07-05-2005, 04:54 AM
Hello everybody,

Erilaz - No, I didn't go to the CGS meeting. I couldn't make it, because I had some family thing to attend to. It's a pity though, because I was eager on attending it. Oh well, there's always next time :P I felt like I was the only 18 year old there on the first day lmao.

Siosi

Heh, im 18 (19 on sat :D!) and i was there, so was my girlfriend, (18 also), there we're a few more around, but yeah :)

Anyhow, us Melbourne people should go out for a drink at a pub or somewhere in the city, get to know each other etc..

PaulHellard
09-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Hi guys,

OK lets try something here.

Lets all meet at 8pm, October 7th (Friday) at the Lounge Club, upstairs - (in fact out on the sheltered balcony lounge) at 1st floor, 243 Swanston Walk, Melbourne.

How does that suit all in Melbourne? This is plenty of notice and I thought the earlier someone does this, the easier it will be for the local CGSociety to meet up and organise other networkie outtings/projects.

Just as a catch up, a 'match a face to the name' thing.

Icarus
09-04-2005, 04:59 AM
I'll be there.

IKIN
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi all!

I just signed up as a CGSociety Member,
great to see an Australian section :)

I was wondering if there was anyone from Perth Western Australia in the society?

Wish i was in melbourne sometimes, looks like theres a lot of members there.
I'm a graphic design student majoring Illustration,final year (3)

nice to be involved with like minded people,

will post some of my stuff soon,

cheers
Paul Ikin

PaulHellard
09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Ikin,

I don't know of any other Perth CGS members but hey, I may be wrong here. Good to see, you may be the first one for the Western City. Hey, where do you buy your CG/Digital Art books over there?

Boffin Books don't seem to be confident about the range, but I thought you would know of another reseller, perhaps in Northbridge or Freo? Perhaps the Gallery bookshops?

IKIN
09-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Wow ,realy, the only/first Perth ?west australian on here.Cool
well i better be upload some good stuff, dont want to let down the whole west cost :)

where do I get my digital art books.....well Boffins is great and ebay is better :thumbsup:.

thanks for every one saying hi :)

Ikin.

servant
09-11-2005, 11:02 AM
I would love to make it but I'm just gonna have to wait till a good date comes up. I would come on the 7th but I work till eight, it would be 10pm by the time I get there.

Icarus
09-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Lounge 9663 2916
243 Swanston walk Melbourne

Is that the Place - hmedia?

erilaz
09-11-2005, 11:36 PM
I can manage that. Unless something drastic comes up. :)

TVeyes
09-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Anyone mind if a non Aussie shows up on the 7th? I will be arriving in Melbourne on the 6th for an 8-9 week stay in Australia. It would be fun to put faces to the usernames here. Besides, I hear there is nothing else to do in Melbourne on a friday night ;)

I will be there.

erilaz
09-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Besides, I hear there is nothing else to do in Melbourne on a friday night ;)

Hey, I resent that! :D
But yes, you're more than welcome! Always good to have some international flavour!

PaulHellard
09-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi guys,

Having set the date and place, I now know I won't have a 'Hope-in-Hades' of getting into the city on the night. The Melbourne Office of Ballistic is some 40km out to the east (or so), and I know I'll be deep into book production at the time. (Thats Elemental 2, EXOTIQUE and Painter).

If you know The Lounge, uptairs 243 Swanston Walk, get on over there and put faces to CGTalk names. I suggested out on the balcony cos it was a little easier to track faces outside at that time, than inside with the pub lights. Meet and greet people. Have a drink on me.

Icarus
09-19-2005, 05:15 AM
Hi guys,

Having set the date and place, I now know I won't have a 'Hope-in-Hades' of getting into the city on the night. The Melbourne Office of Ballistic is some 40km out to the east (or so), and I know I'll be deep into book production at the time. (Thats Elemental 2, EXOTIQUE and Painter).

If you know The Lounge, uptairs 243 Swanston Walk, get on over there and put faces to CGTalk names. I suggested out on the balcony cos it was a little easier to track faces outside at that time, than inside with the pub lights. Meet and greet people. Have a drink on me.

Ahh... sorry to hear it, but i guess work is work..

Anyhow, i hope to see everyone there on the night :D

TyR-

TVeyes
09-28-2005, 08:57 PM
I have just found out I will be staying in Ballarat the first couple of days so I won't make it to Melbourne on the 7th.

I will be in Melbourne for three weeks the week after though, so if anyone wants to meet or help a Dane have a good time in Melbourne drop me a PM please. No I don't mean a **good** time, as in nudge nudge, say no more:) Just some good music or a good bar.

At the very least save me from resorting to the tourist guide and PM me some suggestions for laid-back music joints and bars please. Thanks.

Hope you guys and girls have a fun meet up on the 7th.

bblackbourn
09-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Oh man....you Melbourne folks are making me feel homesick - have fun!

Wish I could be there. I don't think the Lounge existed when I was back there.

Where is it? Near Macca's? Timezone? (is that still there?)? Man Unity building (opp Town Hall)? Am I way off?

cheers,
Brad

PaulHellard
10-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Hey there Brad,

'Lounge' is a pretty dark, funky bar, pool hall, live music venue with restaurant fare, sitting on the first floor (above the street) on Swanston Walk. Its between Little Bourke and Lonsdale Street on the Elizabeth Street side of the road. I was thinking of that venue cos if the weather is good, and you stand out on the ample balcony, you can see all the way down past the Town Hall, across the Yarra to the Shrine.

With views of floodlit skyscrapers with seagulls circling, iconic trams and fairly good looking clientele, the Lounge has a seriously good range of refreshments and easy access to everywhere. I even met my wife there.

Although you're thinking of a different, Flinders St end of Swanston, Maccas is still there (unfortunately), TimeZone has gone (phew), and that end is slowly being cleaned up so you don't get accosted near the station. Man Unity building is still there, and the City Square is now the forecourt to Starbucks and the Melbourne Meridien Hotel. The whole block is desparately trying to look like Union Square in SF.

Lounge is a non-descript doorway on your left up past Lt. Bourke, though it sounds like you're a few thousand miles away.

Ahh, ya gotta love Melbourne!

Icarus
10-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Great!, thanks for the information :)

I'll Definatly be attending, i finish class at 5pm so i'll kill some time and get something to eat before i turn up i supose :) anyhow, im really looking foward to seeing you all there and meeting everyone :)

Should be a great night..

TyR-

erilaz
10-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Always at the last minute I find out other things need attending to. Bugger. Sorry guys, I have to bail this time! It's a rough time of year. Dang and blast it. :sad:

Icarus
10-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Ahhh.. that is the sucks..

Anyhow, hopefully others will turn up, meet you guys out on the open area :)

JayCMiller
10-07-2005, 07:05 AM
yeah I can't make it either, see ya next time def. :(

erilaz
10-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Ahhh.. that is the sucks..

Anyhow, hopefully others will turn up, meet you guys out on the open area :)

Yeah, I still have to own you at Streetfighter vs Xmen!:applause:

Icarus
10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
well, i just got home, and im sorry to say (not trying to offend anyone here) that the venue was... good but we definatly gotta plan this stuff better for next time..

myself and my girlfriend showed up about 8:20 or so, and went onto the deck waited around for 15mins, and nothing, no one really looked like they we're waiting for anyone, but o well...

better luck nexttime i supose. maybe im just a tad annoyed..

erilaz
10-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah Tyr, we really need to be all available! It's hard when so people have so many schedules and (damn) work that crops up out of nowhere. Time is a beatche. Sorry again for not being able to make it! :sad:

tibes
10-08-2005, 03:27 AM
Oh bummer! I wasn't able to make it as it was a mate at work's last day and we had a send off. Sorry I didn't post earlier, might have saved you the hassle. :blush:

rickycox
02-06-2006, 01:10 AM
aaah I'm from Australia, formerly Sydney (Kings Cross area) but now living in Japan (missing decent TV, friends and coffee :). I just joined CG Society today. Well if any aussies travelling to Fukuoka let me know.

PaulHellard
02-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi there!

Thanks for joining. You'll find a mass of things to do!
I'm in Melbourne, my home town, right now. It'll almost feel like you're home, where you are.

Keep in touch!

erilaz
02-06-2006, 11:16 PM
So, when are we going to reschedule a meeting? In the next week or so, I'll be setting up a sketchgroup in Melbourne, but the regular meet should happen again.
I think what we should try and do is set up something every second or third month of the year just so we have a concrete date set in our minds to plan towards every so often. What do you think?

Julius
02-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I really hope we can get something going in Sydney. Let me know if anybody needs a hand I'm willing to help out.

Peddy
03-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Embarassed to say, but with the launch of the Portfolio, ive just now signed up for CGS membership. so yeah, id be glad to help with these endeavours, even though so far im in the very few Brisbane CGS members, and im not entirely sure of how much help i can be.

CaveatScoti
04-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Hi all, just got my membership this very minute, I'd love to throw an oar in.

erilaz
04-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi all, just got my membership this very minute, I'd love to throw an oar in.

Hey Alister! We're having a sketchgroup session down at the national gallery this weekend if you're up for it! :wavey:

Peddy
04-20-2006, 02:30 AM
one can assume the national gallery is not in brisbane?

T4D
04-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Catch a bus or virgin blue flies pretty cheap :)

Location doesn't mean much nowadays 90% of my work come from oversea's
I'm sure people are trying to work at Cutting edge, beeps and krome etc

But there are other ways to do 3D and Pay the bills :thumbsup:

Peddy
04-20-2006, 02:50 AM
haha yes, my 3d work atm is from a company in Central Queensland, but thats over the phone and internet. I cant afford to fly to sydney or canberra for a sketch group, unfortunately.

erilaz
04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
one can assume the national gallery is not in brisbane?

There may be one, i'll tell you when I visit. :D

harshdesign
05-24-2006, 12:45 AM
hey guys...just to say i'm in Melbourne too - exploring the wizards of OZee...:wavey:
Cheers!

PaulHellard
05-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Gidday Harsh (again - did you find your book?)

Yes, as Martin said, last weekend, we had a Sketchgroup out at Fed Square, near the Nationa Gallery here in Melbourne. Also, (topical), the Digital Media Festival will be happening at the Melbourne Park Function Centre, June 6 to 8. I'll be along there too.

http://www.dmw.com.au

Peddy
05-24-2006, 05:12 AM
nothing happens in brisbane except IGDA meetings =[

erilaz
05-24-2006, 05:38 AM
nothing happens in brisbane except IGDA meetings =[

Start a sketchgroup Peter! It's the only way to get people out of the house these days! :D

Peddy
05-24-2006, 05:40 AM
have you seen my drawing skills? nobody's gunna show up!
besides, theres like 4 listed people from Brisbane on CGtalk

SOE digital
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
nothing happens in brisbane except IGDA meetings

Try living in Perth. :shrug:

Also, sign me up for any help required in Western Australia and I'll also help out when I'm visiting the Eastern States as I so often do.

BigSky
09-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Here's another from Brisbane - greetings, all. :thumbsup:

Shealladh
09-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Another from Melbourne :buttrock:

I need some inspiration :banghead:

gringer
10-03-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm an Aussie also, however currently living in Taiwan :D

Icarus
10-03-2006, 02:23 PM
well..its now october.. getting close to the end of the year again..

to those in melbourne and surrounding areas. what are people's thoughts on a meetup based in melbourne? i' personally would love to catch up and meet/greet everyone and have a few drinks :)

Throw out some thoughts

Adam

Shealladh
10-03-2006, 10:44 PM
well..its now october.. getting close to the end of the year again..

to those in melbourne and surrounding areas. what are people's thoughts on a meetup based in melbourne? i' personally would love to catch up and meet/greet everyone and have a few drinks :)

Throw out some thoughts

Adam

Count me in on that, I could do with meeting some decent people for a change (instead of work collegues) :thumbsup:

erilaz
10-04-2006, 06:42 AM
I'll try and corner Paul into finalising a Melbourne meeting time and place. That way we can have something relatively official. :)

PaulHellard
10-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Heard that!

harshdesign
10-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Sounds good...i'm IN!
just let the time n place be known...and i'll try my best to B there!
mmm maybe with some constructive CG talks? Paul...u've always got something up your sleeves :)

Icarus
10-04-2006, 08:23 AM
awsome to see some interest,

usual deal, what time, what date, what place. i'll be there

Adam

Peddy
10-04-2006, 02:09 PM
not enough Brisbane CGtalkers =[

rickycox
10-04-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm an Aussie also, however currently living in Taiwan :D
I'm an Aussie also, however currently living in Japan :D

erilaz
10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Heard that!

:D

Can you drag yourself away from your duties for fun and frivolity?

Icarus
10-05-2006, 01:26 AM
:D

Can you drag yourself away from your duties for fun and frivolity?

hah, that is the question :D

but work comes first remember :)

frostblade
10-05-2006, 05:22 AM
:bounce: Brisbane!

Peddy
10-05-2006, 05:34 AM
:bounce: Brisbane!

Yay!! from where do you hail? Im Spring Hill myself, nice easy walk right into the city.

GregOconn
12-15-2006, 01:58 PM
From sydney here :thumbsup:

Icarus
12-16-2006, 11:30 AM
once again its that time of the year,

I hope everyone's year was worth while, best of luck to everyone in 07, i hope that it can be another productive year for us aussies :D

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah & Happy Kwanzaa + Happy new year everyone, take care.

Vojislav+Milanovic
01-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to both Australia and CGSociety. I'm located in Sydney. So you can freely count one more :)

Kind regards to all Aussies...

Zendorf
03-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Just another Sydneysider :twisted: finally getting around to becoming a CGS member...

PaulHellard
03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Good on ya fellas, welcome!

mattaus
04-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi All,

Living and working in Canberra.

octopus7
04-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Just want to say a big g'day to all the other Aussie's here.
I finally decided to pay for a membership to this cool site.

erilaz
04-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Just want to say a big g'day to all the other Aussie's here.
I finally decided to pay for a membership to this cool site.

Hi Jason!

Is that Frankston, Melbourne?:D

octopus7
04-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Jason!

Is that Frankston, Melbourne?:D

Yes that's the one! The town that everybody makes fun of because of it's seedy reputation, though it's not that bad:)
Notice you are also from Melbourne too, great to see other CG artists in Melbourne!

erilaz
04-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Yes that's the one! The town that everybody makes fun of because of it's seedy reputation, though it's not that bad
Notice you are also from Melbourne too, great to see other CG artists in Melbourne!

Frankston's not so bad. It just takes a little while to get to. :)
We run a cgtalk sketchgroup every Sunday in the city if you're interested:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=317611

redfrog
05-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Hi folks,

Just wanted to say hi to my fellow Aussies. Great to see a good number of folk from Melbourne in the forums. I've been a local of Melbourne for about 5 years now, having moved down here to pursue a career and forsaking the sunny beaches of Newcastle.
Hey Erilaz, that sketch group sounds interesting. i might have to check it out some time!

What kind of industries does evryone work in down here? I work as a concept artist/toy designer for a local based toy company.

octopus7
05-16-2007, 10:21 PM
G'day Redfrog,
Good to see someone else from Melbourne here. I don't work in the industry at all worse luck:sad:
i'm just a hobbyist at the moment. But i'm hoping that will change once I get a lot better. I'd love to do architectural interiors and product design. I'll leave animating to the pros.
At the moment i'm working in a warehouse as a storeman (wish I was working as a CG artist instead)

CaveatScoti
05-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Resident o' Fitzroy Nth, Melbourne. Drinks at the Pinnacle?

PaulHellard
05-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Someone mention drinks?

nicwyc
09-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Hi all. I just joined the community. Nice to meet you all.

octopus7
09-19-2007, 06:32 AM
G'day and welcome nicwyc, some very impressive architectural work in your portfolio too:thumbsup:

nicwyc
09-19-2007, 06:42 AM
G'day and welcome nicwyc, some very impressive architectural work in your portfolio too:thumbsup:

Thank you for your comments octopus7. I had a look on your portfolio and i'm quite impressed with your imagination and creativity. Hope that we can exchange some ideas on work and design in future. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MickyG
01-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Hey All

I'm from Brisbane and don't get down south as often as i'd like, but count me in.

Cracchus
01-15-2008, 05:01 AM
I just moved back to Norway, i lived in melbourne for 5 years. Wish i had known about this site then. I hope its ok that i pop my head in now and then to see what you guys are doing down under. (I lived in Melbourne btw)

PaulHellard
01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Course you can pop in Cracchus. The more the merrier. You can even do us a sketch of what you think Melbourne looks like right now. Submit it when we finaly get ourselves sorted for a meet down here! ;-)

pixelpickle
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey there peeps, I'm originaly from Brisbane, living and working in Melbourne for the past year now.

*flails arms in the air*

DoubleSupercool
02-24-2008, 11:57 AM
WASSUUUUUUUUPPPPP!!!

*ahem*

Just finishing up on the Gold Coast at the moment. Might be here for a little longer or heading back to Sydney in a month or so after I jet off to Hong Kong for a well deserved break.

SandmanNinja
05-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Hello...

I'm Joel - nickname is SandmanNinja - and am new to these boards.

I've been using 3DS Max for about 2.5 years (since version 8 was released), and am working towards getting skilled up in ArchViz. I currently use Max 2008 and Mental Ray.

<waves>

Hello...

PaulHellard
05-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Gidday mate!! :D

mattaus
05-01-2008, 06:26 AM
G'day Sandman! Welcome aboard.

SandmanNinja
05-01-2008, 06:56 AM
G'day Sandman! Welcome aboard.

:)

What a friendly place!

Think I'm gonna like it here. :)

nightwoodwolf
08-08-2008, 02:38 PM
hey guys whats up .. i've just moved to australia since 6 weeks and i am trying to find a job as modeler !! ... any idea !!? thx

SandmanNinja
08-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi John,

Not sure, mate.

Animal Logic is in your part of the world (I think) - they are a world-class CGI company.

I'm hoping to go freelance into ArchVis myself. Working on my website and more portfolio renders.

Good luck!

rickycox
08-09-2008, 03:08 AM
The problem with Animal Logic is that they expect you to have a degree in computer science and a three years experience working on blockbuster movies, just to get a modeling job.

SandmanNinja
08-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I know someone at Blur Studios, and he tells me that a knock 'em dead portfolio opens many doors.

I'd like to think those requirements of Animal Logic is to short-list the number of applicants.
If you have an awesome demo reel, submit it.

nightwoodwolf
08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
hey guys !! thanks for sharing ideas ... i agree about Animal Logic maybe they are looking for super amazing portfolio or demo reel .. or they need years of experiance, i;ve been doing 3D seriously for 2 years now working on Maya and Zbrush more i have 8 years in graphics desgin, i am trying to figure how to make my degree in computer recognized in australia, so i guess wont hope for Animal Logic at the moment but an artist can always wish ;) and work harder till it happen.

how about modeling/textuering for game industry !!!

rickycox
08-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Team Bondi have some jobs posted on their homepage http://www.teambondi.com/ Also Australian InFront sometimes have the odd 3D job listed on their job board http://forums.australianinfront.com.au/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=12

webwings
03-04-2009, 03:45 AM
not sure what I can do to help but keep me in the loop.....canberra is a long way from melbourne...I go once a year!

webwings
03-04-2009, 03:46 AM
I exhibited some of my digital art in melbourne last year at the launch of a book that had soem of my art in...great place....if you have an exhibition, count me in

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2009, 03:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.