PDA

View Full Version : A Complete Beginner

Jukebox
04-29-2005, 01:26 AM
What would you recommend to a guy who never wrote a script before and have absolutely no idea about camera techniques?

well i've always been interested in taking parts in multimedia industry but had no idea where to begin. after all that wandering around for last couple of years, i am finally a college student studying multimedia. but after finishing that, i don't know what comes next.

it'd be really really cool, if you could give some pointers to me.......

thanks in advance..........

Matty2Phatty
04-29-2005, 02:37 AM
I don't know if this really applies to everybody, but for me, going to the movies is like film school, i go and i enjoy them, i take note of what works and what doesn't, i question the directors decisions, i wonder why they used a particular shot, all kinds of stuff.

I've seen enough movies by now that when i have a script in front of me i can watch the movie in my head. Half the time i'm not actively thinking about the best angles, but just watching the movie in my mind and then going out and actually shooting it. I'm probably not making any sense, i just can't think of a better way to describe what i'm talking about.

But essentially you should be able to learn a lot of what you need to know by watching films. I mean maybe you don't know much about lighting, but you can probably look at how stuff is lit in films and try to copy it... or you could note how characters are framed in each shot and copy that.

There's a lot of technical stuff to do with shooting on film and professional lighting and sound, but i'm assuming you're talking about shooting DV (i could be wrong) in which case there's really not that much to worry about, except for your angles.

I realise people are probably gonna quote that last bit about not having much to worry about, but all i mean by that is that you don't need to worry about knowing what film stock to use and stuff like that.

I just noticed you're on the gold coast. I'm in brisbane. PM me if you want to come shoot something. I got a bunch of short films in the works.

niotxx
05-02-2005, 11:38 PM
I'd actually highly recommend the book "film directing - shot by shot" by steven d. katz - i'm currently reading it as i started like you and now i'm just about finished my storyboards for my 3d short film. The book covers everything from storyboarding techniques, camera angles to editing tips and thats just the tip of what info it covers. I'm quickly learning that its just like a bible for anyone.

If you are more into the 3d side of things, i'd highly recommend the book "Inspired! 3d short film production" (i'll post the author when i get my book). Deals with the processes of making a 3d short from script to screen. The other thing i'd recommend would be getting yourself a book on all the areas - one on storyboarding, one on camera techniques, one on script writing etc.

If you want some more info, feel free to pm me. I'm also in Queensland - near the sunshine coast and always in the city.

- stace

Jukebox
05-03-2005, 02:39 AM
actually, your advices are quite helpful to me....
thanks again
and yes... i already consider about the angles and techniques
when i watch the movies.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2005, 02:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.