PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia SLI and 3dsmax. How good?

hugodog
04-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know if Nvidia SLI (dual vga) technology works
with 3dsmax? How much viewport improvement should we expect
using this two vga card solution in OpenGL?

Thank you,
Regards

MadMax
04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
3D apps currently do not benefit from SLI technology. So undfortunately, you won't see any improvement in viewport performance over a single card.

However SLI motherboards do have one neat offering, you can skip the SLI bridge, and have 2 complete cards, independant of each other and up to 4 monitors total. That can come in handy depending on what you do.

I set up a 30" preview monitor, 2 21.3 LCD's for modeling and animation, and a 19" CRT for color checking.

Vertizor
04-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Keep your eyes an ears opened for ATI's counter attack to Nvidia's SLI. ATI's solution is more of a tile rendering that supposedly does benefit 3D apps because both cards will handle geometry, whereas Nvidia's SLI only 1 card processes geometry.

And like I've said in the other thread asking the same question... it's still ATI...

MadMax
04-28-2005, 08:14 PM
unfortunately ATI isn't the bet choice for 3D though........

Lord Banshee
04-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Keep your eyes an ears opened for ATI's counter attack to Nvidia's SLI. ATI's solution is more of a tile rendering that supposedly does benefit 3D apps because both cards will handle geometry, whereas Nvidia's SLI only 1 card processes geometry.

And like I've said in the other thread asking the same question... it's still ATI...

I was under the impression that Nvidia's SLI worked on a Driver decision ratio of the Screen. So the bottom 30% of the screen only requires 50% of 200% so render the bottom with 50% of power and render the top at 150%. So both cards are working the same they are split up into what is needed based on how the driver sees fit. This is why it only works on certian applications.

But i do belieave that ATI's solution sound better. And it is even used with the 9800 on Visualaztion mahine... (forgot what they are called).

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 08:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.