PDA

View Full Version : 3D Projection for Nitendo's Next console?

RobertoOrtiz
04-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Quote:
"At the core of the theory sits how Revolution will display games: through a form of real-time 3D projection. That's right folks, along the lines of a classic 50s monster movie. Nintendo itself has stated that what it plans to use on Revolution isn't all that unique, only that it has never been applied to videogames. Taking that into account, plus recent patents filed by Nintendo, and it doesn't sound all that far fetched, argues Burgess." "

>>Link<< (http://cube.ign.com/articles/607/607437p1.html)

-R

hobbes17r
04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Wow, maybe it won't just be "Virtual Boy 2" after all. I recently saw a demo of some of these newer stereoscopic imaging treatments for normal theater projectors as referred to in the article, and it was pretty nice stuff: It would be great to see that sort of thing pressed as a display option.

Hehe, didn't Atari release some old 7600 games with a super-cheap stereo effect back in the mid 80s? I seem to remember playing some racing game with 3D glasses as a little kid... Might have also been "Rad Racer" though...

Boxsmiley
04-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I hope this is true! And if it is true i hope the games really show off this old/renewed technology being used creatively!

embodiedform
04-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Sounds great!

There is so much talk now of a 3D renaissance in hollywood (Lucas talking 3D Star Wars and also James Cameron and IMAX 3D success with Polar Express)

Now the video game market is also on the edge of making the leap

vfx
04-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Yeah old technology - it uses the 3d glasses effect...i think.

http://www.opticalitycorporation.com/news/press_2004-12-07_fnac.html

lovisx
04-28-2005, 07:59 PM
the system is susposed to work on regular tvs and computer screens, don't you need a special type of screen or projection to get good 3d?

chadtheartist
04-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I see headaches and eye strain coming soon too!

Being a person who wears glasses, I hope they think of that when they design this. I hate having to put those stupid paper glasses over my "real" glasses.

I tried a VR headset game once, and they wouldn't let me wear my glasses. I lost that that game real quick. I was a little upset that I had to wait in line for 2 hours and in the end I couldn't even see the game! LOL

DaJuice
04-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Bet my left nut this is utter bullshit.

RobertoOrtiz
04-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Lets keep the language at pg-13 level guys.

-R

NanoGator
04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I SERIOUSLY doubt that the revolution will come with native stereo display. I think it's far more likely that speech recognition, gyros, and/or a touch screen will be it's big feature.

I think the 3d display theory is being muddled by a patent Nintendo filed on 'fixation points'. The illustration for the patent looks like 3D, but it's really trying to abstractly describe a new way of depicting items on screen.

Okay, I don't understand the patent too well but I do know that the end result of it is a 2d raster image. :P

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.