PDA

View Full Version : compression for editing

bangau
04-28-2005, 04:22 AM
hello...i'm a new user in video editing....i want to know a real thing.....i hear some people say setting in video editing is many format...but i want to know a which compression setting is better when we working video....

-cinepak codec by radius
-intel indeo(R) video R3.2
-compression is none (is mean no compress)

which one is better....b4 i use (cinepak) but now i oledi use (none)..but i want to kn a real thing....
thank u all.........every thank.... :)

azmin
04-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi there bangau,

in this forum you need to be more specific in your questions to get decent answers.
anyway I'll try to help you. if you mean for export purposes, and just for personal viewing/reference, cinepak is ok but imo it's the worst. indeo 4.5 is better. uncompressed is best if your machine can handle it (speed & space).

you can also try divx, mjpeg and other codec to get better quality movies.

there are many other issues here but without details of what software you're using, specs of your machine, what exactly that you're trying to achieve, our friends here could not really help you out.

hope that helps.

cheers.

bangau
04-30-2005, 04:40 AM
thank u azmin.....

tibes
04-30-2005, 02:14 PM
If you're talking about the compression on movies in the editing process, then you're best bet is HuffYUV (http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv.html) for CG and such. This is a lossless codec that will compress to much smaller than "no compression".

If space/processing power is a problem then I recommend MJPEG, in particular PicVideo has an excellent codec which is suited to editing. I use this for live-action more than anything, where you might have quite a bit of footage. DivX and MPEG etc, are not suited to editing, since they are not fast seekable file formats, and making cuts is problematic.

animquer
05-01-2005, 12:23 AM
tibes and azmin are right.
But you anyway need to get highly informed.
You don't wont to find out in middle of a project that you have choosen a wrong codec and that you have to start all over. Thats no good.
Try:
http://www.discreet.com/support/codec/
for info, doesn't matter if you are not using discreets products.
Try some googling, basicly you need to suit your needs and abilities (hardware you have).
Generaly tibes told you about divx and similar, thay are for output, on the end.
Losseless codecs are best choise for production since thay don't affect the image itself just the size of file (so to speak), but you can afford some loosy codecs in your work flow becouse you don't have 2100215 GB of space to throw around. Thats when you have to make a real choise, you don't wont to throw a lot of mpicture/image info and ruin it.
Don't be a spoiler thats not creative :)
Hope that helps, hear you.........

topxj
05-01-2005, 08:55 PM
sorry,my English very pool!

what is your video main application?

if is Me editing,i choice nocompress!

bangau
05-07-2005, 03:40 AM
me too.....software i using is media studio pro..is a easy software....but about compression thing is got something problem....i dunno how to say....but i will try my best to try more....:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 03:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.