PDA

View Full Version : Earth to AE.... where are my alpha channels??

Jola'Edana
04-28-2005, 02:12 AM
First off, I'm new to all this rendering in layers and then compositing thing. However, I have done an in class tutorial, and felt I understood the process pretty well.

I've rendered all my passes in Maya, using the settings I used in class. My rendered images have alpha channels, I double checked them in Photoshop.

However, when I import them as TIFF sequences into AE, it doesn't recognize the alpha channel and ask me how I want it imported the way it should. If I import them as single images, then it does.

I'm new to AE, so I'm probably missing a button or setting, but everything I've found online has been real general and not at all specific. Any thoughts as to what I'm overlooking?

interference
04-28-2005, 01:02 PM
hi,
select your imported files in the import window, then CTRL+F, or right clic on it, and go to "interpret footage", and you'll find the alpha options here :)

mdurwin
04-28-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure about the options with Maya, I use Lightwave, but you might want to try exporting 32-bit PNG files or Quicktime files with Alpha Channel turned on. Then, when you import them into AE, it will ask you how you want to deal with the Alpha Channel. It works really cleanly from Lightwave to AE, so give it a try with Maya.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 02:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.