PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6600 GT sluggish OpenGL performance in Maya/xsi?

Dan Wade
04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Just got a new system, dual Opteron 252 with Geforce 6600 GT 256 ram. The openGL doesnt seem all that great. Dont get me wrong, its not uber slow, but i remember getting quicker framerates on my geforce 4 card. All the games run fine on my new card, super high res and high FPS. But maya and XSI dont seem even as quick in terms on realtime shaded display as my old card?

Someone told me that the new geforce range is more orientated towards direct x and not openGL, which might explain this, is this true?

Thanx,
Dan.

brudney
04-27-2005, 11:12 PM
yeah, that's correct. it's a gaming card so don't expect it to have quadro performance. in opengl 6600gt should be as fast as good old gf4ti cards (or just a tiny bit faster)

you could've bought a 6800gt which handles pretty huge polycounts rather nice and has an OGL performance compared to mid range quadro cards.

anyway, 6600gt is a very decent gaming video card and the OGL speed you get is just fine (although you may want to have a look at other driver version just to make sure)

Dan Wade
04-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Yea. Its all kinda odd. Ive got the latest driver for the card. All my games like HL2 run super fast, but if i remember correctly, doom 3 is slow too, and thats older than HL2, so it should run pretty dang quick. Doom 3 is all Opengl too isnt it?

Very strange indeed.

Dan Wade
05-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Anyone has the same problem? Could the rivatuner speed things up, or just add stuff like antialiased lines?

Dan.

Lord Banshee
05-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Doom3 should be fast enough with a 6600GT? what setting is it set to and run the time demo twice and post your FPS.

Rivatuner will get you some Quadro abilities make it as quick as a QuadroFX3000 from what i read. But if you are having problem with doom3 and Maya/XSI now then i don't think rivatuner will help you.

HowardB
05-05-2005, 04:11 AM
Hey guys I have the same problem. My ATI 9700 AIW just died yesterday and Iíve replaced it with the geforce 6600GT (AGP). And one of the first things I tried was to load up Maya and test things outÖ. What can I say there is defiantly something going wrong somethings not working right. Iíve gotten rid of all ATI related programs and drivers so that shouldnít be the issue.

Iím trying to download the latest Nvidia drivers from their site but there connection speed even from all the mirrors compares to the sluggishness performance Iím getting from this card!

I sure hope theres a solution to this, because my old 9700 blows this thing out of the water and that shouldnít happen. Everyone says that Nvidia is SOOOOO much better for OpenGL, well I most certainly am not convinced. yet.

Anyone have the answer to this? Is it a driver issue? Is it the card? This is driving me up the wall!

lots
05-05-2005, 05:45 AM
What driver version are you guys all running?

From what I've seen, the Geforce 6 series should be better at playing doom3 than HL2 due to the OpenGL nature of Doom3, HL2 uses D3D (and honestly, the two games came out close enough to eachother for the "Age" of doom3 to make much of a difference :P) Anyway, in almost all benchmarks of Doom3 I've seen, the 6 series cards really accelled at it. This probably means there is something wrong within your current drivers that is preventing the card from reaching its full potential. Just a hunch.

I have not tried any of my 3D apps yet, but on my new system (with a Geforce 6800GT PCIe) I can run republic commando at maximum detail and 1600x1200 without a problem. Runs smooth as silk actually. Republic Commando is Doom3 based.

Anyway I'm running Forceware 76.45. They're even MS certified. And I believe they only work with Geforce 6 series cards.

HowardB
05-05-2005, 06:42 AM
I have Doom 3 (not installed) Iíll run it and see if Iím having issues with it. Iím using the original drivers that came with my card (6.14.10.6693) because I havenít been able to update them, due to slow internet connection, maybe bad drivers.

Iíve tested Brotherís in Arms and Far Cry using very high settings and they both perform very well.

my computer:

WinXPpro sp1
P4 2.8ghz
Asus p4c 800 deluxe mobo
1 gig of Kingston hyperX ram

hey Iíve looked around the net and seen many different builds of nvidia drivers. What are the differences between them which are the best? Will soft modding this with reva turner help?

Also if anyone is running this card (6600GT) with Maya and having non of these problems please speak up. Because Iím under the impression that its to do with all the cards.

EDIT:

Ok.. I have no idea how but after Iíve setup duel monitors and restarted the computer a couple times Maya seems to have fixed itself and is running very nicely now!

Marcel
05-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I had the same problem, just bought a new 6600GT and it was very very slow (much slower than my old Geforce4). Turns out that the card was in 16bit color mode, when I changed the color depth to 32 bit the performance is great. Probably the same happened to you when you restarted.

Dan Wade
05-05-2005, 11:33 AM
My setup is a dual Opteron 252, so its about as faist as it gets in CPU terms.
Ive got the very latest drivers for my geforce, and most of my games run at really high resolutions with stonking frames rate no problem, just doom seems to run slowish.

Both Maya and XSI dont seem to fast in terms of viewport speeds than my old geforce 4, as alot of people here have been saying. Just even using the Quadro hack, im getting nice antialiased lines now, but no real improvement in speed.

Ive got a dual boot system, even maya in suse linux is running at the same speed as my windows setup with viewport speeds.

Very stange indeed.

MxM
05-05-2005, 12:20 PM
i just bought a new pc 3.2 GHz 2M L2 1G ram Intel Desktop Board D915PCY

and PCI Express Geforce 6600 GT

and i have not very old pc 2.8 GHz 1G ram asus p4c800 delux that has Geforce TI 4600 softmoded to 900 xgl quadro

with maya 6.5 there is no problem at all with all the 2 PCs
the preformance is : (maya huge file rotating the cam)

old pc\ Geforce TI 4600 = 3.5 Fps
old pc\ after softmoded to 900 xgl quadro = 7 Fps
xeon 2.8 x2 PC at job have a real 900 xgl quadro = 7 Fps
new pc\ Geforce 6600 GT = 16 Fps

iam vry happy with tha result

Dan Wade
05-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Marcel, when you say change the colour depth, do you mean just in the normal windows display options? Mine are set tp 32bit, and have been since settings up my PC. Unless Maya has its own colour setup display options?

Dan Wade
05-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Anyone else having a problem with the geforce 6600?

HowardB
05-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah Iíve just tried switching my color depth from 32bit down to 16bit just to see if that was my original problem and yeah thatís it. I bet most people are having the same problem because by default after loading drivers the colors are set to 16bit and not 32bit and Maya because itís OpenGL has a hissey fit and craps out! :)

Dan Wade
05-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, thats not really my problem though. Im running in 32bit and always have. Going down to 16bit makes it run it slower, but even in 32bit its not quite as fast realtime playback as i was getting on my old geforce 4. Very strange.

HowardB
05-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Thatís oddÖ

Some thoughts... Maybe itís your system, maybe itís something to do with Maya or your operating system. Try isolating the problem, if you have doom3 or something else relying on openGL see if it runs fine, try uninstalling Maya and removing your Maya preference folder, and reinstalling it. If you have Norton systemWorks you could backup (ghost) your OS and try reinstalling that too! I Donít know what to say, Iím new to Nvidia stuff, so I couldnít help you with different drivers and driver settings, maybe someone else can because its probably driver related.

SimonPickard
05-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi Dan,

You sorted this yet? I'm also thinking of going gf6 soon and want to know the deal..
Regards,
Simon

johto
05-16-2005, 10:19 AM
There is no "deal", so dont be aftraid about this one post. it works just fine both in openGL and 3d3. I bet he just has missconfigured hardware / software. I can run DoomIII with 1600x1200 with out AA or AF and i will get 30-60 fps. Using 1024x res its almost 100FPS.

read more about GFX cards at www.hardforum.com

SimonPickard
05-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Not trying to be funny but I couldn't care less about doom3.
Do you run xsi? If so how do you find the playback speed in there?

Regards,
Simon.

Dan Wade
05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Hay Si. Ive noticed quite a few other people have had similar problems with the geforce 6600 with soft and maya open GL display. Its still an issue for me,dont get me wrong, its not uber slow...but there is a difference for sure.

Dan.

dz32
08-20-2005, 08:59 AM
I know this is a late reply but I recently bought an AGP PALIT 6600GT 256MB/DDR3. The first thing after installing it was to download the latest drivers from Nvidia. It runs fast and I have no problems with Maya 7, XSI 4.2, Doom 3 and Half Life 2. I did notice some problems in Max 7 though but everything ran faster than my old Sapphire 9200SE.

RedFish
09-07-2005, 01:21 AM
I just purchased a 6600 gt (AGP 128mb) for maya and it does not seem to be running all that well (slows to a crawl at 320k polys). I am about to go back to the store and swap it out for a 256mb 6800gt, which cost a significant amount more.

Is this a waste of money? can someone think of a better card for maya? Should I just try to find a 256mb 6600gt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

annaleah
09-07-2005, 01:26 AM
I have a PCI 6600gt oc from BFG and have no probs.

HowardB
09-07-2005, 02:29 AM
I just purchased a 6600 gt (AGP 128mb) for maya and it does not seem to be running all that well (slows to a crawl at 320k polys). I am about to go back to the store and swap it out for a 256mb 6800gt, which cost a significant amount more.

Is this a waste of money? can someone think of a better card for maya? Should I just try to find a 256mb 6600gt? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Iíve got a BFG 6600gt AGP and I just made a plane in Maya with 320K faces and I have no problems. Mine only starts to get sluggish at around 1 million faces.
You must not have something configured properly.

RedFish
09-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Iíve got a BFG 6600gt AGP and I just made a plane in Maya with 320K faces and I have no problems. Mine only starts to get sluggish at around 1 million faces.
You must not have something configured properly

Hi HowardB

can you think of any configuration problems that would cause this kind of slow down? Do you think it's maya or windows xp?

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2005, 02:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.