PDA

View Full Version : head turning problem

marvelatthedust
04-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Heya everyone, i had a question i was hoping someone out there could help me with. i've rigged a rough human model, and haven't had any problems until i came to the head and neck. right now i've got the head as two joints seperate from the rest of the spine, and point constrained to the last joint in the spine, then i have a few set driven keys, so the head will move forward, backward and side to side when i move the last neck joint, but i can't seem to find a way to get the head to turn when i turn the neck joint. any work around, or solution out there that i am simply too new to realize? or is it a massive problem that the finest minds of our time are working on as we speak? i kinda doubt the latter statment, but you never really know...
also i have a few pictures of the problem... visit my cheesy, but cheap website:
i'm working in maya 6 for info.
http://www.geocities.com/marvelat_thedust/mypage.html

thanks in advance!

-ian

nottoshabi
04-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Dude, those pics are verry hard to tell whats going on. Is the head skined or conected to the joints? Look at the joints if the joints rotate and head dosen't fallow the your head is not conected to the joints. If your head joints don't rotate then try to find a different way of aproching the rotation of the neck. Can't really say much more then this. Post the file. I use v6 Maya to.

Craiger
04-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Why don't you just parent the head joint to the neck joint. Or,, use a orient constraint as well... or use a parent constraint insead of a point.

marvelatthedust
04-29-2005, 03:50 AM
i have the head set up as a broken rig so that when the body turns one direction, then head can still turn in a different direction, as for a clearer pic, i'll see if i can get the file up, or at least a better picture.

Dichotomy
04-29-2005, 06:03 PM
ok, this is what you are looking for, I think:

-parent the head joint to the neck joint.

-create a head control (be it spline, object, whatever), and place it above the head, then move the pivot to the base head joint.

-duplicate this object and delete the shape node (use the pick walk down to get to it). This will leave you with an empty transform node.

- (follow this one) orient constrain the empty group to the neck (the group will take on rotation data -note: leave maintain offset unchecked). Now delete the constraint, this will give you a group with rotation data, and no constraint. Reverse the constraint so that the group controls the headJoint. Now parent the empty group under the head control.

-point constraint the head control to the head joint.

Now your head control will move with the rest of the body. and your head will always point in the direction of the head control, regardless of how the body "turns", but it will always follow translation.
Hope this helps :D

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2005, 06:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.