PDA

View Full Version : Film to Video look

lazzhar
04-27-2005, 02:16 PM
There is too much articles and stuff about how to make a video look like a film but I'm just curious to understand what people working on footages coming from film do to make them look like shot in video. You know when you watch a movie and they want to show a video screen or a full screen images such you're watching a tv and you really feel that they are shot by a video camera.

Cman
04-27-2005, 02:31 PM
I'd suspect, since they won't want to waste film at 30 or 60fps,they probably close the shutter to 45-degrees or so to cut down on motion blur.

Then oversaturate in post. As well as any kind of "interlacing" artifacts or whatnot they want to add.

Hugh
04-27-2005, 04:34 PM
Or just shoot on video....

lazzhar
04-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Or just shoot on video....
LOL as usual, the best solution is the simplest.

pixlix2
04-28-2005, 11:54 AM
additionally to the oversaturation i would probably blur the video slightly and afterwards sharpen it again to achieve this edge-enhanced pseudo sharpness which you get from cheap consumer cams. A slight color tint might be an idea, too. Like a white balance thats a bit off.
maybe... mayyybe even a tiny mosaic filter to get some aliasing steps ?!

animquer
05-04-2005, 06:11 PM
digital has a problem with highlights, so cut down highlights (make them all/same of them white), also digital have (relatively) low dinamic range. Hmmmm what about that, well you could cut some shadows into black as thay would not fall into digital's cameras dinamic range. Generaly lower the dinamic range by cutting highlights. + what pixlix2 sad.
What a waist is that, I just could not do that.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2005, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.