PDA

View Full Version : Stereogram: a real 3d pictue

quinox
10-05-2002, 11:26 AM
This is a stereogram. A stereogram, this is a Single Image Stereogram (SIS), is a picture made out of ramdon dots or, in this case, a repeating pattern. If you look in a certain way, you can see a 3d image. This 3d image will be real 3D! Your brain will notice real depth in the picture, just like you are looking to a existing object in this world.

If you do not know how to view this picture, try to look crossed-eye. If the picture is too big for your screen, save it to your disk and open it with any program you like to display it fullscreen.

For more information:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=stereogram
The thing that you can see in the picture is a model of mine made in 3D Studio Max. I used 3DMonster for creating a depthmask and 3DMiracle to create the actual picture as shown above. The texture is created out of a picture of a wall in jeruzalem. Please let me know what you think of it.

http://httpd.chello.nl/c.luiten/temp/stereu.jpg

iNFERNiS
10-05-2002, 12:22 PM
wow! awesome! At first i didn't see anything, kept seeing the pattern, but then i started to cross my eyes slowly, and started to see it, it's really cool. It's like i could reach out and stick my hand in there :D

nice stuff

CroitiX
10-05-2002, 12:56 PM
:surprised :curious: I dont see a thing?!

gaggle
10-05-2002, 01:04 PM
I am so reminded of Mallrats (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Mallrats-1066174/) right now :D

Stimpy
10-05-2002, 03:36 PM
LOL @ gaggle... "look !! a sailboat"

any chance of making an animation like this ?? is there a batch mode to convert a picture sequence ??

Lindset
10-05-2002, 04:08 PM
that was great! :) I've never really seen anything in stereograms before.. but this time I did! great stuff ;)

RISKBREAKER
10-05-2002, 05:24 PM
YOU KNOW WHAT!!!! THERE IS NO EASTER BUNNY!!! ALL IT IS IS JUST A GUY IN A SUIT!!!!!

Stimpy
10-05-2002, 06:17 PM
BRENDA ???

DICK !

ooops.. getting off topic here .... :P

maxtor
10-05-2002, 06:36 PM
reminds me of Mr.Burns........btw mallrats is a crowning achievement in movie making.

regards

Error323
10-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Very cool!!! The key is to point your eyes behind your monitor on 1 certain spot... (scheel kijken) Don't know the english words...

anyway i always see the picture inside out.. I make point with my eyes before the monitor! Don't know howto do it the other way...

can u invert the image?? So i can see it too?(in the right way)
:) thnx...!

:: Error

pants
10-06-2002, 10:50 PM
ahhhhhhh, the 90's are coming back, with hypercolor t-shirts and everything! :p

no seriously tho, that's really cool. i am reallllly interested in how you went about making it. was there a program you fed the images into or something? i clicked the link but it seemed to just have examples of stuff. should i read it more carefully?

again, cool stuff. :)

Agent D
10-07-2002, 12:06 AM
Good. Now make an animation... :D

matty2x4
10-07-2002, 12:10 AM
nothing personal but...
God I hate those things! am yet to see 1

here is some stuff I have been working on... all you need is some glasses.
2x4

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22261

Hysteria
10-07-2002, 02:21 AM
Wish I knew how to make those :(

A MacVey
10-07-2002, 02:52 AM
matty what kinda glasses do i need?

quinox are there any tutorials on making these?

matty2x4
10-07-2002, 02:54 AM
just the regular red and blue ones... the kind you get with 3-D comics

KingMob
10-07-2002, 04:28 AM
man, I saw something, then my eyes adjusted...and nowI have a headache...I can barely ever see these damn things.

neat tho

frye
10-07-2002, 07:17 AM
cool, it looks like the head of some ......AHHHHHHHHHHH.......SWEET JESUS.............IT'S BURNING MY RETINAS.

PureFire
10-07-2002, 08:56 AM
I like looking a them and they look so kewl but they always make my eyes feel like crap so i dont care to try them often

Frank Dodd
10-07-2002, 12:53 PM
ARGH MY EYEBALLS! :eek:

Seriously it looks great, the trick is to stare through the image as if you are looking at something that is behind the monitor.

This one has the most depth I have seen so far looking carefully you can see the back of the skull through the eyeballs and the nose sticking out of the face. :thumbsup:

Stimpy
10-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by PureFire
but they always make my eyes feel like crap so i dont care to try them often

as far as i remember they are actually supposed to be rather good for the eyes.. since you relax them.

quinox
10-07-2002, 03:18 PM
I've used 3DMonster and 3DMiracle to create the pictures.

The website is: http://www.ixtlan.ru/

arvid
10-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by matty2x4
nothing personal but...
God I hate those things! am yet to see 1

here is some stuff I have been working on... all you need is some glasses.

err, "all you need is glasses"? how about "all you need are the eyes already inserted in your head!!" ;)

I can see these images real easy, I can sort of relax my eyes at will so they drift apart, the image becomes visible instanty, but I also discovered that I could go even further, there's a 3D match if you relax the eyes even more, (although you cant tell what it is but you see the perspective anyway) and I manged a third step too :) Maybe I need to fix me eyes :D

A gif or AVI using that technique would be amazing..! Just a rotation or whatever, pleaseeeee :D

matty2x4
10-08-2002, 12:00 AM
hey relax opacity big guy... the glasses reference was to do with the link. ie. "here is some stuff I have been working on..." that bit...

WhiteBlaizer
10-08-2002, 12:55 AM
LOL :beer:

:rolleyes: i'm saying this thing... is it behind this image??

Who can see i can see?
http://blaizer.metropoliglobal.com/cosa.gif

i hate this kind of pics... my eyes sucks after see the siluet :p

cheers

WhiteBlaizer
10-08-2002, 01:02 AM
wellcome to zombo.com
this is zombo.com....

wellcome to zombo.com
this is zombo.com....

wellcome to zombo.com
this is zombo.com....

wellcomeee to zomboooo.com
this is zombooooo.com....!!!

LOL :p :D :D

a hypnotizer web!!! juas!!! the curiosity of the cat... kill the cat.

headaches... and in "your web", more headaches and a cacofonicus voices :applause:

LorenzOO
10-08-2002, 01:47 AM
:insane: there is a doctor here? me I looked at the eyes stuck on the screen during 5 minutes... it does not do anything, it is a serious doctor? :shrug:

arvid
10-08-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by matty2x4
hey relax opacity big guy... the glasses reference was to do with the link. ie. "here is some stuff I have been working on..." that bit...

whats that supposed to mean? im sure there's a book on the basics of jokes on amazon for you so you can catch up

was about to say, nice 3D pics but i really dont care atm

its f****** late

GrooVn
10-08-2002, 04:52 AM
I can never see those things. I am starting to think it is like the emporers new clothes, and everyone just says that they can see them. Do you guys have any techniques for viewing?

Agent D
10-08-2002, 05:36 AM
Put your curser on the screen and unfocus your eyes so you get double vision and the two cursers are far apart. Use the same method to get the pictures.
It's strange how some people can't get them. It took me about 5 minutes to figure it out the first time (1993?), and I can get them instantly now.

PureFire
10-08-2002, 07:37 AM
from memory I think there was an easy method to see the hidden object for those that couldnt see it right away.

Hold you finger vertically up to your face so that it is right inbetween your eyes.
Focus on your finger and it will make you go cross eyed.
Slowly move your finger away from your face but dont follow it with your eyes and then look at the screen.
Try not to focus at all and the image will appear.

Give it a go :bounce:

nikana
10-08-2002, 08:04 AM
This reminds me of a course I took in university in the yearly 90's called, "Air Photo Interpretation" (or something like that)... a geography course. It was a lab, where stereoscopic images were analyzed.

Anyway, our instructor spent the first too classes working with everyone trying to help them see these images in 3D. After a lot of frustration, many of us finally captured the intended depth. This was important, because it was a requirement in obtaining a degree in the certain field.

I'll never forget the moment the instructor announced that 7% of the worlds population will not have the ability to see stereoscopically. One guy jumped up out of his seat, said, "F**k this!!!" and stormed out of the room.

By the end of the course, I could see these images within seconds. I got so good at it, I could walk by these posters in the display windows in shopping malls and see the image while moving.

gaggle
10-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Been a while since I've seen these kind of images.., when I first replied I hadn't actually seen the 3d part yet, I'd just given up and moved along. Damn impatience :)

I've always been able to see these kinds of images, but I've always had trouble with having to blink, forcing me to start defocusing all over again. For whatever reason that didn't happen this time, so I was all stuck in this 3d world, it was pretty nice :)
And as Frank Dodd says, this one has some good depth going for it. Neato. The model itself seems pretty.. er.. simple though :) Would be nice to see the wireframe and such, could be neatoriffic..

Cobalt7
10-08-2002, 11:35 AM
Hey, you want some stereogram movie?
Just go to http://www.ixtlan.ru/movie.shtml#
It's slow, but it worst downloading it!

Stimpy
10-08-2002, 12:48 PM
dang, those movies are funny..

i downloaded them, but by the time they were finished it had kind of slipped my mind WHAT i was actually downloading. so when i started the movie at first i thought: "damn, theres something wrong with the Codec". and then i remembered...

looks surprisingly good i must say

Frank Dodd
10-08-2002, 05:19 PM
I think the easiest way to see the depth is to concentrate on two of the little square blocks next to one another, then go cross eyed and you will see four blocks. Now wiggle your eyes (more/less crosseyed) until the blocks overlap and hold them there your eyes will usually focus in and the texture will become clear, your eyes will still be crosseyed and you will be able to see the depth.

funnydoodle
10-09-2002, 03:12 AM
it's a good way to hide passwords or anything in it.,,,,, unless u notice it.... cool... yeah i saw the alien pic ......

jeroentje
10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
All I see is a naked woman.
But I see naked women in anything.

Enix79
10-19-2002, 01:30 AM
nice. i would like to know how to make these. my method for seeing stereograms is to cross my eyes slightly. i can see the image clearly, however, it is inverted. is that how its supposed to be? great job none the less. =)

dave_baer
10-19-2002, 01:41 AM
*achk*.. anyone got a Tylenol.. or Excedrin?... blah.. nasty headache now. :hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.