PDA

View Full Version : HDRI support in PhotoshopCS2 ?

bradw
04-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Hiya,
Has anyone had any hands on experience with HDRI imaging in Cs2 yet?

I'm interested to know what hdr compatible file formats are offered, and what tools/features work with 32bit FP/ or comp'd LDR>HDR files.....
we dont want to be like V7.0 tga support debacle ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

klingspor
04-27-2005, 06:05 PM
I spent last evening playing with the trial version and felt very disappointed. Uninstalled it the same night.

I too had very high expectations regarding the HDRI support, but I'm sad to say it's a joke. It opened some of my .exr files but not others, whereas the unofficial exr-plugin opens all of them without any trouble.
It seems the only operations you have are blur, sharpen etc. But only filters, not the brushes. Speaking of which, not even the regular brushes work. No 32bit painting... why?! So they have something to sell in CS3?

That was the point I decided the uninstall the thing... I didn't even bother to test if layers work in 32bit, but I highly doubt it.

If you know what 16bit support is like in version 6 or 7, that's what HDR "support" is like in CS2. The other new features consist of a bunch of gimmicky plug-ins and a file-browser that takes almost as long to load as Photoshop itself.

But try for yourself, although it's apparently not on the site yet, you'll get the trial from their FTP (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/win/cs2/Photoshop_CS2_tryout.zip).

bradw
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Stefan,
thanks for the post.
I think you are right about CS3.

I actually got through to an Adobe tech agent on the phone yesterday and we went through it in detail..

In a nut-shell:

"HDRI support info:

HDR was primarily included as 'last minute' appeasement as entertainment customers were asking for it...
Currently the implementation is meant for assembling HDR from LDR images.
*Very* limited HDR manipulation.

Floating point Formats supported:
.hr
.openEXR
.radiance
.rgbe
.tif

Tools/Features supported:
Basic exposure, offset and gamma control.
Basic filters work only:
Blurs, sharpen, lens flare
basic selection tool compatibility; Lasso, marquee, freehand.
Clone stamp
Pen

Tools/Features NOT supported:

Magic Wand
Layers of any kind
Type
No HSV/Curves/Levels
No brightness/contrast
Patch
Heal
Paintbrushes
etc.."

Looks like Photogenics is still the only non high-end HDR capable paint app out there..

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.