PDA

View Full Version : Final Year Project - Armageddon Parody

yadur
04-27-2005, 10:50 AM
This is my final year project. I'm studying Computer Animation and Special Effects at the University of Bradford. The goal of the project was to create a nice entertaining Animation. I hope I succeded. Here's the piece, now tear it apart:

The Project (http://www.its-the-end-of-the-world.com/) (35 MB)

http://images.stadlberger.com/cgtalk/poster.jpg

Edit: Updated Link

Swizzle
04-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow, the UK really bit the big one. :p

I'd say it's entertaining enough, but there are some weird things that, if you changed them, could really make this video that little bit better.

The first thing I noticed was the animation of the rose, because, well, it's the first thing I see! Right now it looks like a bunch of ants are carrying it back to the colony or something and that's why it's shaking funny. You might try having the stem bend in the direction the wind is blowing and then have it hold there for just a couple of frames, only moving slightly. After that you could have it slowly gain speed as it comes back up and give it some rebound.
The next thing I noticed was the depth of field. It looks screwy because nothing except part of the sidewalk and a bit of the wall comes into focus while the camera moves, so maybe you could tone it down slightly.
The newspaper's motion looks very good for a while, but then it seemed like it was just hovering along instead of being blown by the wind. Maybe you could add a tumble and slight crumple in there?
The smoke coming from the boosters looks ok, but it seems like it doesn't get any darker after a while. It seems luminous, and that looks a bit weird with the long shots.
The scene that has the space shuttle flying down the trench bothered me because of how much the shuttle moved back and forth. It seemed like they were having trouble controlling it or some sort of malfunction was happening with the thrusters. Maybe you could have it moving a lot at the beginnning (not just side to side, but up and down also) and then tone it down towards the end as if they're really gaining control after a difficult maneuver.
You seem to have a continuity problem with the size of the asteroid vs. the Earth and the rotation of the asteroid as well. It all lends itself to dramatic effect, though. :D
Things I really liked:

The TV screen at the beginning was really cool, though a transition between the TV and the real scene would make it even better.
The sparks flying from the boosters is space was a nice touch. That's what explosions (even controlled ones like the boosters) would actually look like, and I just loved that.
The scene where you're seeing the shuttle fly towards the asteroid and they do the flip-over was SWEET!
I don't think I've ever seen a camera move as huge as the one where we see the Earth get fried. You've got a really badass shot right there.
The interior of the shuttle looked spot-on, even if I don't know how accurate or not it is. I love buttons and switches.
It's pretty ironic that the President was talking about Armageddon, especially considering the whole separation of church and state thing and the fact that saying something like that would cause widespread panic. I love it... even though I'd drop a load in my pants if I heard that. :D
The music set the mood perfectly. The first couple of times I watched I didn't have sound, so I'm here to say that the music does a superb job.
That huge explosion with chunks flying out and giant columns of fire is way cool.
Overall you did a really nice job. It has rough spots, but I think the good outweighs the bad on this one. More, more! :)

PS: The timer is out of sync.

nawaz1983
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
yes m8 nice movie, i done a simlair type of 3D movie for my final year project @ Brunel University thread here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=233770)

first of all well done, i liked the movie it had sum good points i think the dude above mentioned most of them. The depth of feild at the start is a bit off but i like the way it moves thru the TV then into the scene. good texturing for the walls and inside the x-71 ;) the earth looks really good as well

if u can, try and get ur hands on the permission to use the same music in the real movie (in case u dnt have them i can sent u them on mp3) coz better music would of reinforced the dramatic tension of the movie.

also, the white smoke out of the launch looked like foam, so maybe fix that up. from the looks of things i'm guessing u used 3D max, did u use afterburn as well?

anyways good stuff and well done

nawaz1983
www.nawazalamgir.com (http://www.nawazalamgir.com)

yadur
04-28-2005, 06:12 PM
The first thing I noticed was the animation of the rose, because, well, it's the first thing I see! Right now it looks like a bunch of ants are carrying it back to the colony or something and that's why it's shaking funny. You might try having the stem bend in the direction the wind is blowing and then have it hold there for just a couple of frames, only moving slightly. After that you could have it slowly gain speed as it comes back up and give it some rebound.
I was a bit lazy there. The child bones follow the root bone and the root bone is driven by a random expression. So you're right, by hand animating it, it'll probably look better.

The next thing I noticed was the depth of field. It looks screwy because nothing except part of the sidewalk and a bit of the wall comes into focus while the camera moves, so maybe you could tone it down slightly.
The strong DOF is there for a reason: besides the rose and the sidewalk there isn't much real geometry. Most of the frame is filled by a background photo and the house on the right side consists of simple flat planes the are brought into form with a displacement map. So toning it down would mean adding lots of detail and I'm too lazy to do that. ;)

The newspaper's motion looks very good for a while, but then it seemed like it was just hovering along instead of being blown by the wind. Maybe you could add a tumble and slight crumple in there?
The newspaper is driven by a physics simulation, so that's what it looks like under the given wind conditions. And yes, the I could have improved the wind settings with some trial and error, but you know that lazy thing...

The scene that has the space shuttle flying down the trench bothered me because of how much the shuttle moved back and forth. It seemed like they were having trouble controlling it or some sort of malfunction was happening with the thrusters. Maybe you could have it moving a lot at the beginnning (not just side to side, but up and down also) and then tone it down towards the end as if they're really gaining control after a difficult maneuver.
For the moving back and forth there is no real reason for it. It just looks more dramatic that way.

You seem to have a continuity problem with the size of the asteroid vs. the Earth and the rotation of the asteroid as well. It all lends itself to dramatic effect, though. :D
Yep, dramatic again...

The sparks flying from the boosters is space was a nice touch. That's what explosions (even controlled ones like the boosters) would actually look like, and I just loved that.
I comped in some footage of exploding squibs, so they should look pretty real.

I don't think I've ever seen a camera move as huge as the one where we see the Earth get fried. You've got a really badass shot right there.
Actually, I'm not completly satisfied with that camera move. The camera should have moved farther out, so that the impact is seen longer.

The interior of the shuttle looked spot-on, even if I don't know how accurate or not it is. I love buttons and switches.
It's more or less accurate, but I took some creative license when I approached 20k objects to keep it manageable.

It's pretty ironic that the President was talking about Armageddon, especially considering the whole separation of church and state thing and the fact that saying something like that would cause widespread panic. I love it... even though I'd drop a load in my pants if I heard that. :D
Well the quote is actually taken right out of the movie Armageddon.

The music set the mood perfectly. The first couple of times I watched I didn't have sound, so I'm here to say that the music does a superb job.
Well the version I handed in had the original music from Armageddon and topped off with R.E.M's It's The End Of The World As We Know It for the credits. That kept the pacing more fluid and gave the piece a lighter mood. But for copyright reasons I had to change the music.

PS: The timer is out of sync.
Hey, it's the movies... :)

if u can, try and get ur hands on the permission to use the same music in the real movie (in case u dnt have them i can sent u them on mp3) coz better music would of reinforced the dramatic tension of the movie.
As statet above, I used the music, but if I want to publish a version with it I have to pay for it.

from the looks of things i'm guessing u used 3D max, did u use afterburn as well?
You're guessing wrong, this was done entirely with Cinema 4D R9 XL (http://www.maxon.net/).

Stefan

PS: When I wrote lazy above I actually meant that I didn't have enough time to do it properly. I'd never settle for an inferior result just because it is more work.

yadur
08-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi,
if anybody's still interested, I updated the project a little bit and reencoded it with H.264 to get a better quality, so you need Quicktime 7 to play it.

Project (MPEG4 Quicktime; 30MB) (http://download.stadlberger.com/ap_stadlberger.mov)

Project (H.264 Quicktime 7 required; 30MB) (http://download.stadlberger.com/ap_stadlberger_h264.mov)
Stefan

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2005, 10:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.