PDA

View Full Version : Capturing Video - Problems

Pretorian
04-27-2005, 04:50 AM
I have captured a video without compression in Premiere. When I play it, eather in Premiere or in Windows Media Player, it plays normal but when I export it encoded, and I have tested in many diferent ways, it gets shaked. Why?

I tried encoding/exporting to MPEG2, DivX, Quicktime MOV with Sorenson 3 even with Windows Media Video Encoder! Of course it varies the quality but all them are shaking. The worse part is in the bottom. By the way, that's strange, the bottom shakes a lot but the top keeps still. Seems like a "shake gradient" from top to bottom. As you look from top and going to bottom, it gets worse. Is this a field encoding problem? I tried exporting with lower, upper and no field and got the same result in all the three.

What am I doing wrong? :shrug:

Thanks

-Vormav-
04-27-2005, 06:47 AM
I'm not completely sure that I'm understanding your problem exactly right, but check to make sure that you're using the same "pixel aspect ratio" setting for exporting as you had when importing your footage. Some codecs don't freak out too much when this changes (though, naturally, it still won't look quite right), but some just go nuts. I get a lot of shaking when exporting from premiere to AVI files if the pixel aspect ratios don't match up right. And unfortunately, Premiere doesn't seem to like matching these values with your imported footage for you.
That's my blind shot in the dark... hope it helps. :shrug:

Pretorian
04-28-2005, 01:54 AM
Don't worry about shooting in dark, all suggestion and advices are very welcome! :thumbsup:

When I was exporting I cheked the pixel aspect ratio and I thought that this was the problem. I can be wrong and this is still the problem, but I have tested and seems not. Some codecs has the pixel aspect ratio setup and Premiere too. Wich one the export/rendering process will follow, Premiere's setup or codecs setup?

How can I know if the capture card is capturing in lower or upper field?

The uncompressed video (the directly captured) doesn't shake, so I'm believing that this is a codec/exporting process issue but, like I said, I tested with many codecs in diferent file formats and had the same problem.

Any other idea?

Thanks

brzilian
04-28-2005, 12:20 PM
I have captured a video without compression in Premiere. When I play it, eather in Premiere or in Windows Media Player, it plays normal but when I export it encoded, and I have tested in many diferent ways, it gets shaked. Why?

I tried encoding/exporting to MPEG2, DivX, Quicktime MOV with Sorenson 3 even with Windows Media Video Encoder! Of course it varies the quality but all them are shaking. The worse part is in the bottom. By the way, that's strange, the bottom shakes a lot but the top keeps still. Seems like a "shake gradient" from top to bottom. As you look from top and going to bottom, it gets worse. Is this a field encoding problem? I tried exporting with lower, upper and no field and got the same result in all the three.

What am I doing wrong? :shrug:

Thanks

It would help if you actually specified what capture card you have.

Pretorian
04-28-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm using a "generic" with Conexant's BT878P chipset.

Thanks

ajk48n
04-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Maybe try to export to another DV file, just to make sure there isn't something weird when you're imprting it into premiere.

Pretorian
04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
I made that and I got the same problem in all diferent formats I exported. I got these problems when playing them in Windows Media Player. It only works when not encoding. I thought it might be a codec problem but like I said, I tried with diferent codecs in diferent formats, like AVI, MOV and MPEG. All them gave me the same problem. Depending on the codec, obviously I get better or worse result, in terms on quality, but the blur and shaking I get in all them.

Is this a Premiere configuration problem or a wrong codec setup?

Thanks

brzilian
04-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Premiere Pro (1.0 and 1.5) are DV editors exclusively which means they work best with video captured via Firewire to a DV compressed AVI.

That being said, what are you exporting to? Did you check the interlace settings of the footage in the timeline? Was the captured video interlaced to begin with?

Pretorian
04-29-2005, 08:41 PM
So, seems I was indeed making something wrong.

Premiere Pro is exclusively for DV editing, ok, but if it's capturing from a capture card, it's receiving digital video (by the card digitalizing the signal). Anyway, it this is not the case, do you mean I should capture without compression with another capture software and then edit it in Premiere Pro? It would be like importing and editing like any other DV, right?

I tried exporting to many diferent formats using many diferent codecs and got the same result. As I'm reading your post here, I guess I got wrong in the interlace settings. I don't know how the card is capturing the fields (if it's that exactly what you mean). How can I check this, because as I know, I have to export the video the same way it was captured, correct?

To make things more clearly, how and where exactly can I do this? Maybe I was trying to do (because I tried exporting with lower, upper and even no fields, and got the same result in all trials) thie but in the wrong place.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2005, 08:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.