PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning / selection help

Tsukiyono
04-26-2005, 09:03 PM
I have an image i want to paint, its just a basic 2d drawing done on paper i have got a scan of and now got open in photoshop. Now the scan has some nice dark lines on it that i would like to keep... (anime style of painting for now as i am not yet leanrned enough to move past that, but i still like this so not a big deal)

Ok well the first way i learned to make this selection.. is to go to channel, make it a selection, delete that, lock transparency and then go back over it with black to redarken the lines.... this worked on the first thing i did.

The second image i did, i used the method that is done on the Gnomon Photoshop for Digital Production DVd... its still new to me so i would have to pop it back in to say for sure how the process is again. And this worked fine for the second image.

Now the third time i tried to do a painting, i couldnt get either of the methods to work, so after a little playing i merged both methods and i was able to get something that was workable and it turned out not to bad for only my third time painting inside photoshop.

Now with this new one i cant seem to get a selection to work that will allow me to keep the lines as they are. What i want to be able to do is to paint where the lines arent... and i have been trying ti figure it out for a few hours over the last couple days and everything i try dont seem to come out right....

So i am curious about how someone of you would go about doing this..

Also, what are some methods to clean up a scan, i havent really done that to the other images i painted and am curious about the process.

Thanks beforehand.

-NG-
04-26-2005, 09:21 PM
If you want to paint where the lines arenīt make a selection of it and invert the selection, or go with a mask.

Tsukiyono
04-26-2005, 09:27 PM
See that is the thing.. i have been doing that... but for some reason whenever i make the selection.. it takes out the bacground color, and makes it transparant.. and the once black lines turn to white lines..

I cant seem to figure out why its doing this

berniebernie
04-27-2005, 03:09 PM
If you're lines are black and you intend to put colors in, think about using blending mode. Indeed when you use the Screen (and Lighten/Multiply I think) blending mode, you can paint over your lines and the black will stay on top...

Google blending modes =) !

Tsukiyono
04-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks i got a book as well at home which should be able to tell me abit about the blending modes if i need them.

Once i get a chance i will check into doing your suggestion. Thanks again :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2005, 04:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.