PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft looking to buy out game industry giant Capcom

Array
10-05-2002, 03:14 AM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=746

I have a feeling I wont be the only one who would be royally peeved if this thing goes through.

boomji
10-05-2002, 06:43 PM
hey may be they'd put bill in as a player in the street fighter series then i'd ooo u ken his ass blueee.
actually nishitani already has his own company arika...so it dosent hurt me much :p

Labuzz
10-05-2002, 11:05 PM
After Rare, its Capcom..........PLEASE NOOOOOOO.

gametech
10-05-2002, 11:51 PM
The fact that microsoft wants to buy capcom does not surprise me.
what will surprise me: if capcom will agree with this.
I hope they will not.
microsoft also wanted to buy SEGA and Nintendo but they did't want to sell it. For nintendo microsoft would have had to pay several billion dollars, and they were willing to. good thing nintendo has some pride. <edit>: sorry I did not express mysef properly, I meant good that this did not happen </edit>

My hope is that microsoft will stay away from japanse developers. microsoft should have some respect for japanse culture.
--------------------------
<edit>: Sorry about the culture thing, I meant it in a different way. English it not my native language. It's more that I personally like the japanese influences in games. And I was I bit affraid that under microsoft management, The games would be more targed to western audiences)
</edit>

Ewan Lee
10-06-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by gametech
microsoft should have some respect for japanse culture.

Whoa! Whoa! What does that has to do with a multi billion company trying to buy another multi billion company? It has nothing to do with culture is just plain business... if all the rumours are true and Capcom decides to accept Microsoft's offer (it there is one), believe me, their doing it not for pride nor culture sake but just because they'll make a fat profit!

I love Capcom's games... but let's be serious that's not culture! (not even in japan...) and if there is anything to learn from Capcom is how to make money of "poor innocent little boys" like us (I have all of their games..) just by placing a roman numeral after the title... come on! How long has street fighter II been going on? A billion years?

If there is any lesson to learn is: minimum risk for maximum profit.

p.s.
when is devil may cry 2 coming out?

p.s.s.
tekken 4...man what a waste of money!

gotta go bye

Ewan:beer:

Anthony
10-06-2002, 02:17 AM
I' m all for MS buying Capcom. It means two good things:
A)More steady financial base for Capcom, so they can focus a touch more on making games, and
B)More Capcom games on XBox, which I happen to like.

DSedov
10-09-2002, 12:46 AM
is it what I think on your avatar? :D

krisr
10-09-2002, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Iwata and Nintendo buying them out.....that could be interesting

dark_lotus
10-09-2002, 01:53 PM
I h8 ms

Chewey
10-09-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by gametech

My hope is that microsoft will stay away from japanse developers. microsoft should have some respect for japanse culture.

Oh, brother. Someone needs to do a bit of studying up on Japan's history to learn how they've respected other cultures in the past.

Respect starts with correct spelling.

;>

bentllama
10-09-2002, 11:38 PM
I hope MS does buy them. I agree with Anthony's comments too.

More CAPCOM on XBOX!

And why in the he11 does everyone get pissed at Microsoft showing initiative?

HapZungLam
10-11-2002, 02:41 AM
i don't think capcom will let microsoft to take over. They have been in the industry for more than 25 years. They made alot of money. There's no point to sell their stock. They are in a good shape still.

SheepFactory
10-11-2002, 02:44 AM
I hope Microsoft buys them ,

better financial support = more\steady jobs

Chewey
10-11-2002, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
i don't think capcom will let microsoft to take over. They have been in the industry for more than 25 years. They made alot of money. There's no point to sell their stock. They are in a good shape still.

um... the time to sell a company is just at that point, when it's worth a lot of money and doing well.

It's difficult to sell a house after it's been burnt to the ground.

Lunatique
10-11-2002, 06:46 AM
If they buy Capcom, it would only mean stronger competition for Sony and Nintendo. What so bad about competition? Better games comes from competition--good for everyone.

stupido
10-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam

if you'd read the link's article, you would have discovered that Capcom have just posted a large (ish) financial loss this year despite profit projections of Ģ31 million.

PhilWesson
10-13-2002, 10:58 PM
as far as japanese culture goes, capcom would rather sell to another japanese company. Its been proven over and over in history that the japanese like to keep companies run by other japanse. Now, i dont there's anything wrong with that. As far as MS goes, i would NOT like it if they bought out capcom, they're trying (and have been) to monopolize as much as they can. It defeats the purpose of any other smaller game companies (not saying that capcom is small) trying to put out a product. I personally support the smaller companies.

Chewey
10-13-2002, 11:37 PM
That doesn't matter if there aren't Japanese buyers stepping up to the plate and Microsoft is.
Anyone who's been paying attention to recent history knows that Japan's economic situation has been bad since the early 90's and isn't getting any better. Tradition has been going the way of the buggy whip over there in many arenas.

Luke Werhli
10-14-2002, 02:29 PM
Hahahah. That is a joke.

The japanese companies will never be bought by Microsoft.

Its a question of pride and economics. If they start selling the companies the Japan will end up losing the number 1 spot in the games industry. And that is no good.

Chewey
10-14-2002, 03:35 PM
I might think the same if I lived in the jungle and called myself ruth.

Did you know that all women in Japan are geisha and the rickshaw is still the most popular mode of transportation?

lol!

Luke Werhli
10-14-2002, 06:22 PM
Funny,heh.

What kind of jungle are you talking about?

For me to be ruth is to live in a jungle.

If you donīt know how to respect people, be quiet, itīs more polite, ok?

Array
10-14-2002, 08:07 PM
ok...i dont want to start a flame war or anything....but i think people are forgetting that Capcom has a long rich history of making games for EVERY console. Remember when street fighter 2 championship edition was the big thing? it came out for both the genesis and snes. In the next generation of consoles, Capcom followed the trend by creating games for the PSX and Saturn (although there were some Saturn exclusives due to better sprite handeling). When Dreamcast came out, Capcom didnt hesitate to support that platform either, and had some exclusives to boot (SF3 as a DC exclusive allmost made me break down and buy the system).

Now with the current generation of consoles, Capcom is once again providing great games for EVERYONE under the sun. GameCube, PS2, and Xbox all get their fair share of titles (although i do admit it seems to be a bit biased towards PS2). If Microsoft were to buy out Capcom, only one group of people would benefit, Microsoft fans. Video games would be dead forever to me.

Chewey
10-14-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Luke Werhli

For me to be ruth is to live in a jungle.

If you donīt know how to respect people, be quiet, itīs more polite, ok?

So are you ruth or are you Luke? Whoever you are I'm sure you already know that it's not polite or respectful to tell others to be quiet.

I'm all for Microsoft buying it out. Put more jobs in the states. Japan's economy is still in decline and not getting any healthier. I say show Japan the respect they show others, which is close to zip.

webjunkie
10-14-2002, 09:24 PM
i believe the fee from ms to ninteno was going to be aroung $50,000,000,000 - ouch!

i agree with the healthy competition idea.

webjunkie
10-14-2002, 09:27 PM
its strange i like MS in some respect but not in others.

Gentle Fury
10-15-2002, 05:28 AM
why would this affect anyone on this board?? MS wouldnt do this to take capcom out of the running and cease all production of capcom games!! Thats apples job!! This would merely put more money in the MS money cow! THAT IS ALL!! It would not affect the release of Tekken 5000 or Street Figher 3 Alpha 1 Zeta Gamma Omega 15 or Resident Evil -15. It would merely keep a company from going under and putting the cash in someone elses pocket!

The real enemy is APPLE!!! They go and find awesome products that are loved by many platform users buy out the company and make it an apple only product!!!!! Hateful people they are!!!!!

Im not a big MS fan but at least they can appreciate the fact that multiplatform distro is a good thing (MS makes software for Mac) Let em buy capcom!!! Save all those game makers jobs.........all it would mean is that the new capcom games would be available on XboX too!

Array
10-15-2002, 05:38 AM
xbox allready has capcom games.....and microsoft buying capcom would be "pulling an apple" because, again, capcom would go from a multi-console game developer to an MS exclusive.

The point about bringing more work to the states is pretty irrelivant, because why would the game developers want to come to America? what incentive is it for them? if Microsoft forces employees to relocate, im sure everyone from Capcom would just migrate to other companies within Japan. All Microsoft would have left is some tired franchises and the name Capcom.

vizion
10-15-2002, 06:17 AM
whoa, that's a nice avatar..its only a mouse though..

bentllama
10-15-2002, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Array
xbox allready has capcom games.....and microsoft buying capcom would be "pulling an apple" because, again, capcom would go from a multi-console game developer to an MS exclusive.

The point about bringing more work to the states is pretty irrelivant, because why would the game developers want to come to America? what incentive is it for them? if Microsoft forces employees to relocate, im sure everyone from Capcom would just migrate to other companies within Japan. All Microsoft would have left is some tired franchises and the name Capcom.

Actually it would increase the workforce over here without moving the studio from Japan. Testing and marketing is done over here anyways for MS games.

Take Artoon for example...there is a whole studio/division in MS gaming dedicated to helping the [1st party] developers ship on time and with utmost quality. Artoon is in Japan and in case you have not heard, is making Blinx, a game that simply could not be done on any other console.

If anything besides the name, I believe it is the radical thinking and sheer quality behind Capcom games that Microsoft would want to be incorporated with...Microsoft is out to please gamers with games...and good ones at that.

Array
10-15-2002, 06:42 AM
but how would testing and marketing increase? capcom games are allready tested and marketed here extensively, just for all consoles, not just one.

bentllama
10-15-2002, 07:01 AM
but how would testing and marketing increase? capcom games are allready tested and marketed here extensively, just for all consoles, not just one.

An acquisition like Capcom would mean growth all around...on both sides of the ocean.

Array
10-15-2002, 07:33 AM
I dont understand how though. an aquisition by microsoft would dramatically shrink capcom's customer base.

bentllama
10-15-2002, 08:33 AM
Customer base may shrink as a result of platforms the games are released upon...but jobs will be held/created to support the new studio in the family of Microsoft games.

Development is usually better when a game ships for a single console only...more time into optimization, effects, bug fixes, etc.

I really see this as a good thing, but that is just my opinion.

Array
10-15-2002, 08:51 AM
hmmm....ill only be happy if capcom starts releasing legit games for pc :) ill have to rely on nebula/mame and my x-arcade (www.x-arcade.com) till then. hehheh :beer:

jbo
10-15-2002, 09:19 AM
i don't see why ms would stop making capcom games for other systems... It would really benefit them more to keep capcom the way it is. They don't make anything off of xbox consoles anyway. All the money is in the games. They'd loose a lot of money by pulling an apple, and i don't think they'd be dumb enough to do it.

Array
10-15-2002, 09:21 AM
why else would they want to aquire the company then? good will? not likely in today's corporate world.

Luke Werhli
10-15-2002, 01:07 PM
I remember when Microsoft tried to enter the world of 3d some years ago. They bought Softimage, and they failed.

The american companies always think they can buy everything.

Some things are not for sale.

Chewey
10-15-2002, 02:18 PM
I remember when Microsoft tried to enter the world of 3d some years ago. They bought Softimage, and they failed.

So do the Japanese companies. Don't you recall the spending spree they went on in the late 80's and early 90's? After their bubble economy burst in the early 90's they've had to do an about face and sell off many of their investments at good sized losses. Nothing mystical or spiritual about their business practices. This tendency to hold all things Japanese in some mystical esteem is just plain silly and ignorant. i.e. Weak anime stories get the pass because they've been deemed to have a "japanese style" of story telling when the stories are in fact just plain weak or worse.

ThE_JacO
10-15-2002, 02:18 PM

they bought Softimage for 120 millions
sold it after a while for 240 millions and some Avid Stocks (that bumped up immediately afterwards).
also while the whole market of the high-ed GFX was on SGI they managed to make everybody realize NT could have been a cheaper and more powerful (cash/power wise) alternative.
they also reduced the pricetag to less then half the previous one, making it even more obvious that high-end 3D should be of everyone.
and, guess what, the incomes raised.
when maya came out Alias was forced to support the NT platform, MS started shelling out pure R&D cash just to develope the core of XSI and to extend DS capabilites (project twister as a DS module and so on), core that recently (with 2.0 and now with 3.0) prooved to be worth all that money and all the wait.

where did MS fail ? in short:

they made cash
sold the company for twice the price and stocks of a succesful company
made the whole high-end 3D drift toward wintel in one swift move
got prestige
financed some of the most brillant R&D of the last years

you know what's also fun in this ?
they never stopped supporting IRIX
they never had anybody sign anything against future moves that could endanger MS (that is why we now also see a perfectly ported linux version)
they stopped the exclusive collaboration between MI and SI leading to having one of the highest points of advantage of Softimage disposable for every other app only a few months later (and yet nobody can rival the integration that initially MS financed).

MS can be evil under a lot of aspects, but compeltely demonizing it and making a religion of figthing it makes no sense.
MS has always been extremely respectful toward satellite companies, and always let them a lot of freedom, only adding to them in marketing and financial impact power.
They don't do it for charity, they do it because they saw that this is a good way to milk cash out of everybody and leaving everybody happy.

Chewey
10-15-2002, 02:42 PM
heh! Hardly a failure.

Array
10-15-2002, 07:56 PM
Jaco- well stated.

Luke Werhli
10-15-2002, 08:42 PM
People, in fact you can make a fan club for Microsoft. And you can create a new religion, being Bill Gates the God.

In this case, Iīm devil. Because I personally donīt adore this company.

[EDIT] Dont bring any ethnocentrific nonsense into this board. [EDIT]

Sure, this is my personal opinion and please stop quoting me because Iīll not change my mind.

Array
10-15-2002, 08:47 PM
there is a LOT wrong with Microsoft, but you cant deny that in the case of Softimage, Microsoft did only good. If it wasnt for Bill Gates, you would still have to buy an SGI workstation in order to run Maya, Houdini, or Softimage, and XSI wouldnt even be here today.

Chewey
10-15-2002, 08:48 PM
People, in fact you can make a fan club for Microsoft. And you can create a new religion, being Bill Gates the God.

In this case, Iīm devil. Because I personally donīt adore this company.

[EDIT] Dont bring any ethnocentrific nonsense into this board. [EDIT]

Sure, this is my personal opinion and please stop quoting me because Iīll not change my mind.

I bet that those words come right from satan himself.
;>

Luke Werhli
10-15-2002, 09:33 PM
If it wasnt for Bill Gates, you would still have to buy an SGI workstation in order to run Maya, Houdini, or Softimage, and XSI wouldnt even be here today.

Array, how can you say that? We cannot say what the future or the present will or would be. The 3d companies would find another ways to expand, like Alias did when it lowered the price of Maya, and port it to Mac and Linux.

Chewey, would you please stop quoting me? Since I started saying something here you began joking about me and distorcing my thoutghts. Respect please, we are adults.

I never made jokes of you and I ask you to respect me, as I respect you. if you cannot respect me, please forget about me, ok?

jbo
10-15-2002, 09:37 PM
why else would they want to aquire the company then? good will? not likely in today's corporate world.

uh, no... to make money. i thought i made that clear.

Chewey
10-15-2002, 09:40 PM
snip

please forget about me, ok?

Your wish is my command, uh, what was your name again?

;>

Gentle Fury
10-15-2002, 10:15 PM

Ummmmm, hmmmmmm, perhaps..........TO MAKE MONEY!!!!!

Take a company that already has a MAD fan base keep it exactly as is, dont affect where they create content (thus meaning getting rid of that damn nintendo only allegiance) port the games to ALL platforms.......have one of the best game creators in the industry start making MS labelled games too.............PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT!!!!!!

Like i said before, i am not a fan of MS, as the OS' are so full of problems.....but you have to love how they handle business!!! They dont try to say.....everyone buy windows machines or die......we're gonna absorb all companies and make their products windows only.....no, theres no money in that. Instead they absorb companies, market them, build them up, make lots of money...........then sell them off, therefore coming out with a huge gain and no risk as once they sell them off they can fall into crap for all they care, they got their money!

It's like when EA merged with Square. Did square start making football games???? NO they kept on going with exactly what they were doing b4, the only dif was when you start a game it says Square/EA Entertainment instead of just square.

When it comes to companies ruining products the only place you need to look is Apple Corp. When they bought Nothing Real cuz they didnt want to wait for Shake to port over to Mac we all knew what was coming........goodbye windows Shake........one of the greatest compositing solutions GONE!!! Because Apple is a big power hungry piece of crap!

As much as i complain about windows i will NEVER own a mac. If apple came up with the most amazing computer in the world, that renders in realtime while fixing me coffee and wiping my ass for me i would never own a mac...............completely out of principle. They are the terrorists of the computer industry and i cant stand them. They arent doing it to make money now, they are doing it to try and get people to only use mac.......and that will NEVER happen!

Rant over:D

Array
10-15-2002, 10:48 PM
Array, how can you say that? We cannot say what the future or the present will or would be. The 3d companies would find another ways to expand, like Alias did when it lowered the price of Maya, and port it to Mac and Linux.

Chewey, would you please stop quoting me? Since I started saying something here you began joking about me and distorcing my thoutghts. Respect please, we are adults.

I never made jokes of you and I ask you to respect me, as I respect you. if you cannot respect me, please forget about me, ok?

Microsoft spearheaded the development of XSI before they sold it to avid. The whole reason Maya came to the NT platform was because of Softimage's presence. Previously, both apps were Irix only. Maya's price drop was also a direct result stemming from competition with XSI.

The point about EA and Square is invalid. EA doesnt make consoles. I still have doubts that Capcom would remain a multi-console enterprise if Microsoft purchased it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.