PDA

View Full Version : Pre-compose question

Shayder
04-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Hello, I was wondering about pre-composing. I currently create segments for a tv show, on average they tend to be 15 seconds each and I usually average 6 segments per show.

I create a new composition for each segment. When I render out all of the sequences I take all of the seperate compositions and drag them to a new composition that will have all the segments rendered out as one long piece. One thing that I've noticed is that it seems to take a lot longer to render. If I render out a test of one segment as I'm working on it it seems to render fairly fast but that same segment that is part of the new comp with all of the others seems to take much longer.

Should I pre-compose instead of just dragging the comps to a new one? Should I pre-render?

Or If I'm doing the whole thing wrong please tell me, thanks!

Lowki
04-26-2005, 11:32 PM
I would recomend Pre-comping just for the sheer neatness of it! If you are combining lots of different sections into one big comp the whole thing could get rather confusing (depending how complex your comps) I believe that using pre-comps can help overall render time as by combining sets of layers all together may make effects of adjustment layers that were fine in there original comps effect other layers (which is very bad if you dont notice till later on when renders are done).
so in my view, yes. Make sure to allways pre-comp specific areas of your project.
hope that was some help...

Shayder
04-27-2005, 01:57 AM
Well what I do does sort of make it neat. My project will have 8 diiferent compositions in it. Each Composition represents a segment and may have up to 10 layers.

In stead of pre composing the layers I will just grab all of the seperate Compositions and drag them into a brand new Composition. So my timeline will just have 8 layers. It seems neat to me. I was just wondering if pre composing my layers would help render times.

Mylenium
04-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Well, indeed pre-comping will increase render time in many cases, but it's also an essential way of good housekeeping and often inevitable to achieve certain effects. You have to understand what happens when you use sub-comps: AE first needs to flatten (= calculate all final pixel values) your pre-comp before handing the resulting pixel buffer over to your other comp. This causes some delay which can add up to several minutes with very heavy comps, but normally is within acceptable limits. If you use different aspect ratios over multiple comps, multiple pre-comps stacked on top of each other etc. this will also increase the amount of delay. So as a rule of thumb: if you're pressed for time and it's not really necessary, do not pre-comp, if you want a clean project structure that can easily be changed later on, pre-comp.

Mylenium

vfxworks
04-27-2005, 07:20 AM
well i agree to mylenium
thats wat i also wanted to explain

A D

Shayder
04-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Can you/should you pre-comp 3d layers? I had 15 layers of a block of text. I had them move into frame horizontally then the camera moves up and then looks down on the text. the layers then start to fly at the camera one layer at a time.

I pre-comped the text layers and it made them sort of flatten out and not give me the 3d look i had before I pre-comped.

Mylenium
04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Can you/should you pre-comp 3d layers? I had 15 layers of a block of text. I had them move into frame horizontally then the camera moves up and then looks down on the text. the layers then start to fly at the camera one layer at a time.

I pre-comped the text layers and it made them sort of flatten out and not give me the 3d look i had before I pre-comped.

You need to activate "fold transformations" on the sub-comp. This will maintain the 3D info.

Mylenium

mdurwin
04-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Also combining comps in a final comp, will do funny things to blending modes.

roguenroll
04-28-2005, 05:15 PM
I think I noticed quite a bit of difference in closing timelines that I wasnt using.
If you have 6 timelines, and then put all in final comp, close the 6 original.

worked at least on the occasions I tried it.

R

Shayder
04-28-2005, 05:52 PM
You need to activate "fold transformations" on the sub-comp. This will maintain the 3D info.

Mylenium

Do you mean "move all attributes into the new composition"? I tried that and it didn't work. I looked for the fold transformations option but I couldn't find it, not even in the help files.

I did find some stuff on the net that did explain pre-comping and I am beginning to underrstand it a bit better.

Roguenroll: I will try that seems odd though.

Thanks to all for your tips!

Mylenium
04-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Do you mean "move all attributes into the new composition"? I tried that and it didn't work. I looked for the fold transformations option but I couldn't find it, not even in the help files.

Nope. "Fold transformations/ continously rasterize" is a layer switch. It's definitely explained in the manuals, you are wrong saying it's not there.

Mylenium

Shayder
04-29-2005, 04:50 PM
I used the help files in 6.0 and typed in "fold transformations" using the search option and it found no pages containing it. :p

The little dialogue box that comes up when you hold it over the switch says "collapse transformations....." I suspect that is where the confusion lays.

Thanks, though, for making that clear to me. I will try it again. with the switch setting.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2005, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.